Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The gif in the current announcement doesn't play inline, and tapping on it just opens it in browser, doesn't bring up the usual image options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

wfm

them pencils be drawin

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah it's animating just fine for me as well.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah without looking I'm guessing that we apply the thread parsing but no JavaScript on the view.

Might make sense to stop replacing gifs on announcements regardless of settings.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Version: Latest from Play Store, Android 11

Bug: Avatars with escaped HTML parse (some of) the HTML, do strange things with other parts, apply it to the rest of the page

Description: Avatar which contains <font size=+2 color=#2266bc><font size=+0> contains other elements which are blanked until screenshotted, increases font size for rest of page

Sample: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=196#post422173710 produces , except (and for obvious reasons I have no convenient way to take a picture of this) the image and blue avatar text do not appear until the Android screenshot function is invoked. Every remaining post, including the username/post time bar, also has increased font size.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mandoric posted:

Bug: Avatars with escaped HTML parse (some of) the HTML, do strange things with other parts, apply it to the rest of the page

Description: Avatar which contains <font size=+2 color=#2266bc><font size=+0> contains other elements which are blanked until screenshotted, increases font size for rest of page

Sample: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=196#post422173710 produces , except (and for obvious reasons I have no convenient way to take a picture of this) the image and blue avatar text do not appear until the Android screenshot function is invoked. Every remaining post, including the username/post time bar, also has increased font size.

Weird. My screenshot looks exactly like the loaded post to me with no changes. I even tried to capture the thumbnail of the first screenshot in the second because for some reason I thought that would prove something.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mandoric posted:

I get the exact same thing when I click on the link, Android 11 on stock Pixel 4a 5g

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Let's just say that this is not supposed to happen.

Lets see if Google still takes a week to review updates

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Disregard.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 25, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hey can we remove the referral stuff from copied links please. Especially Twitter or whatever?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

How hard would it be to have an option for the app to follow the system with regard to light/dark mode? I can imagine that people might want to specify which theme they prefer for each if that's doable.

Also along the same lines, any plans to make adjustments to the current dark mode to make it align to the now official site dark mode?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hey can we remove the referral stuff from copied links please. Especially Twitter or whatever?

I fully agree, but
- If I understand correctly what you're talking about, this is a thing on the webpage forums as well, it's not app specific.
- It's a hard problem to figure out which query params are referral stuff and which are needed to make a link work. For a handful of specific cases such as twitter (which is the most important one) this could probably be hardcoded though (in which case it works until twitter changes things).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That's on Twitter's side. Fixing that would be super hacky.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

OH wow, I didn't know. That's supremely stupid

Didn't know, you guys are doing a bang job

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 29, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Also along the same lines, any plans to make adjustments to the current dark mode to make it align to the now official site dark mode?

Please no. The current app dark theme is much nicer, to my eyes, and I wish the official theme were more like it. The official one is too much like OLED in the app, to me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Have it be an option

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know anything about anything, but I'm assuming if you're taking a link to copy to the clipboard that it would be trivial to strip everything after the content link. How is it that I, a human, can easily do this when copypasting links but a computer cannot?

I'm also guessing the op is asking about URLs for link sharing but maybe I'm wrong and they're talking about something else?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LastInLine posted:

I don't know anything about anything, but I'm assuming if you're taking a link to copy to the clipboard that it would be trivial to strip everything after the content link. How is it that I, a human, can easily do this when copypasting links but a computer cannot?

I'm also guessing the op is asking about URLs for link sharing but maybe I'm wrong and they're talking about something else?

It's not always clear what is an important part of the link and what is just referral bullshit.

You can hardcode that logic for different sites I guess, and then you're fine until that site changes how it does things.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
At least for twitter links all the query bits of the url are expendable.

gently caress I hate twitter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

other people posted:

At least for twitter links all the query bits of the url are expendable.

gently caress I hate twitter.

Yeah absolutely, you could just strip off everything starting from the ? and onwards.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jabor posted:

It's not always clear what is an important part of the link and what is just referral bullshit.

You can hardcode that logic for different sites I guess, and then you're fine until that site changes how it does things.

Is there a need beyond just Twitter and maybe Amazon?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Will this app ever give me the ability to create new threads?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

punk rebel ecks posted:

When you implement it, it will.

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you build it they will shitpost.

Re: Changing the current themes: I prefer the dark mode in the app over the god awful color scheme the site's current dark mode is using. If anything the site should just copy how the app looks.

If you're wanting to make changes to the color theme, have you tried the custom theme support? Not sure if it will still work but from the OP:

Sereri posted:

Does the app still support custom themes?
It does indeed though it works via CSS these days. If you've got a .css file of your choice, place it in /SDCARD/awful (case-sensitive). It should be selectable from the theme list in the app. If it is a dark theme make sure to name it {THEMENAME}.dark.css or it won't have dark threadlists.

popular themes:
Arc.dark.css by ArcMage

:siren: Warning :siren:
Custom css are not part of the app and might break with future changes. Please notify the author in this case.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, PLEASE don't take away the current app dark mode

It's my favorite display choice on anything anywhere ever

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Your device has to mine enough Awfulcoin to unlock creating new threads.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Just to note that that theme is definitely not updated.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

How hard would it be to have an option for the app to follow the system with regard to light/dark mode? I can imagine that people might want to specify which theme they prefer for each if that's doable.

I would also like this.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I think that's requested pretty often. I know I've mentioned it before with people chiming in for support

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I use the standard view mode as God intended

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I'm still getting a lot of crashes. Always seems to happen when opening a new thread or a new page and then Twitter embeds struggle to load and then boom, dead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I have either a pixel 3 or 4 (I literally forget, they all look the same) and a flakey apple USB-C power cable that doesn't lock in place very well edit: pretty sure it's the 3

Anyways, if you're reply/quoting a thread, and the power reconnects, this causes the reply page to reload, and then if you say "use saved stuff" it then adds your reply to the quote. Doesn't just plop your old text below the quote, it actually adds it to the quote

Also reconnecting the power cable seems to cause page reload activity on thread view pages as well

TL;DR please don't have the app make page draw/reload action on power cable events

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So I have either a pixel 3 or 4 (I literally forget, they all look the same) and a flakey apple USB-C power cable that doesn't lock in place very well edit: pretty sure it's the 3

Anyways, if you're reply/quoting a thread, and the power reconnects, this causes the reply page to reload, and then if you say "use saved stuff" it then adds your reply to the quote. Doesn't just plop your old text below the quote, it actually adds it to the quote

Also reconnecting the power cable seems to cause page reload activity on thread view pages as well

TL;DR please don't have the app make page draw/reload action on power cable events

Plugging in the cable now

Hadlock posted:

Laffo

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
that seems like it could be annoying

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Hadlock posted:

FYI I was having this with my 3 last year before I got rid of it, and carefully scraping out around the socket with a toothpick got a lot of compressed lint out that was stopping cables from clicking in all the way.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

FYI I was having this with my 3 last year before I got rid of it, and carefully scraping out around the socket with a toothpick got a lot of compressed lint out that was stopping cables from clicking in all the way.

Yeah, my Samsung was having an issue where the USB C cable didn't stay in, so I'd wake up to my phone at random percentages of charged. Thought it was the cord, tried another one, same thing. Was thinking about replacing the phone, but did a seaerch about it, and it turns out that using something like a sewing needle or toothpick to clean the charging port on the phone works.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Red Warrior posted:

Same with my pixel 1. Had to do it twice even. USB-C is vulnerable to pants lint, it seems.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny also because the Pixel 4 was the greatest departure in design language since the line started going all monotone back and square camera bump.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey maybe this is a dumb question, but I've only recently been able to shell out for data on my phone, and it seems like Awful app is taking a hugely disproportionate chunk of it. Is this a known issue or am I just posting too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

StashAugustine posted:

Hey maybe this is a dumb question, but I've only recently been able to shell out for data on my phone, and it seems like Awful app is taking a hugely disproportionate chunk of it. Is this a known issue or am I just posting too much

Do you have it set to download images when not on wifi?