Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Did he get to drive a 4 wheeler in the new show? I heard there was a space vape pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Did he get to drive a 4 wheeler in the new show? I heard there was a space vape pen

Yes there is a financially struggling drug addicted woman who lives on Earth in the show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ajaxify posted:

gently caress that's a great idea. I'd watch Stewart as Captain "Captain Planet" Picard.

French?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait Picard is a robot now? I'm not watching the show so I dgaf about spoilers

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yes he’s a robot but they gave him an aging program so he will die haha gently caress just typing that felt like poking a canker sore with my tongue

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Yes there is a financially struggling drug addicted woman who lives on Earth in the show.

a star trek story about the awfulness of our current economic system would be timely and appropriate but the writers are cowards so instead all they ever do is imply that their show might be about something with hack writing like that without ever having the spine to take a stance more progressive than "we think it's nice that ladies kiss sometimes"

edit: I know that I'm really negative about modern trek for this reason and I sound like a broken record but I really think it says something about how utterly hosed we all are if this is where we're at, where a two part DS9 episode from 20 years ago can be more relevant than anything they've made recently then gently caress it man society's crumbling we can't even star trek properly now

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 29, 2021

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Danaru posted:

Have you seen Fata?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tighclops posted:

a star trek story about the awfulness of our current economic system would be timely and appropriate but the writers are cowards so instead all they ever do is imply that their show might be about something with hack writing like that without ever having the spine to take a stance more progressive than "we think it's nice that ladies kiss sometimes"

edit: I know that I'm really negative about modern trek for this reason and I sound like a broken record but I really think it says something about how utterly hosed we all are if this is where we're at, where a two part DS9 episode from 20 years ago can be more relevant than anything they've made recently then gently caress it man society's crumbling we can't even star trek properly now

Past Tense is rapidly becoming Present Tense.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have not finished watching Picard yet but I did like seeing Jean Luc again :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that's the one nice thing about picard. it will cure you of any desire to see more of jean luc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Danaru posted:

In the most pointless plot twist in the history of television they killed him at the end of the final episode of season one, then resurrected him in an android body identical to his human one, which can and will still die, at random, at some undetermined point in the future.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 29, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
He might have a twin now though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

android picard also has an erectile dysfunction that real picard never actually had because they had to make some assumptions when programming the whole elderly android thing. picard season 2 will be mostly q making limp dick jokes/borgs fighting with nunchuks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That would be a big improvement over the first season

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mulaney Power Move posted:

not only that but he's a perfect copy of himself with no special abilities or anything that would make him different than he was until they decide to give him magnet man powers in picard part two: q's revenge

There's a non-zero chance Q's just gonna *snap* Picard back to human next season.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a non-zero chance Q's just gonna *snap* Picard back to human next season.

Snapping is too campy.

Q will do Doctor Strange-esque hand gesticulations

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Q only snaps. Q does the finger twirl.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's an intense quandary! A man gets turned into such a perfect android clone of himself that he'll age and die just the same. Then a god transforms him back into the same lump of flesh he was before. To the unaided eye, this did absolutely nothing, just putting different labels on the same actor. To the auteur though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8AULZ2le28

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He should wiggle his nose, like Bewitched.

In fact, he should just be Samantha from Bewitched without explanation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really hope they do that

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Tighclops posted:

You aren't wrong. Star Trek is important. There are countless interviews both with people like engineers, astronauts and scientists, as well as people like politicians and diplomats who say they are who they are because of Star Trek – a universally attractive technological, economic and sociological utopia that they can visualise and work towards, that almost feels like our destiny. If Star Trek is now forgettable action schlock for olds, if the most compelling mainstream sci fi around is Rick and Morty, a show about a depressed sociopathic magic science wizard who uses his science magic to hurt everyone for fun and profit, then that's a problem. I like Rick and Morty, but if we don't have a wide eyed optimistic futuristic dream that everyone can buy into together and work towards, as a species, where are we going?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

You aren't wrong. Star Trek is important. There are countless interviews both with people like engineers, astronauts and scientists, as well as people like politicians and diplomats who say they are who they are because of Star Trek – a universally attractive technological, economic and sociological utopia that they can visualise and work towards, that almost feels like our destiny. If Star Trek is now forgettable action schlock for olds, if the most compelling mainstream sci fi around is Rick and Morty, a show about a depressed sociopathic magic science wizard who uses his science magic to hurt everyone for fun and profit, then that's a problem. I like Rick and Morty, but if we don't have a wide eyed optimistic futuristic dream that everyone can buy into together and work towards, as a species, where are we going?

In my more paranoid moments, I honestly suspect nu-trek is a deliberate attempt to sabotage the good that Trek does.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the worst part about voyager is tom paris

tom paris is worse than michael burnham

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

chaosbreather posted:

as a species, where are we going?
the answer to this is fully explored in hit tv show "dinosaurs"

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Applewhite posted:

In my more paranoid moments, I honestly suspect nu-trek is a deliberate attempt to sabotage the good that Trek does.

It's like our neolib/ post-9/11 world order makes everything grim and kind of lovely. Which is reflected in our entertainment. And the two are in an interdependent relationship.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
contagion is such a good episode holy poo poo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't remember anything about that episode except for the Yamato and for some reason I remember the history of its namesake.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
lol that's the Iconian introduction. Star Trek Online saw this and said "It must be because they have so many eyes! Get it?"

Yeah, this is Star Trek and not Warcraft or Final Fantasy. Sure.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lmao if star trek motivated you in a professional capacity

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
>_>

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zesty posted:

lol that's the Iconian introduction. Star Trek Online saw this and said "It must be because they have so many eyes! Get it?"

Yeah, this is Star Trek and not Warcraft or Final Fantasy. Sure.

STO kicks rear end

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just lmao if star trek motivated you in a professional capacity

Sounds like you don’t have faith

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

chaosbreather posted:

Truly we are all experiencing bij.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Although very very different from Trek, and a book series, I find Becky Chambers Wayfarers series to scratch my "optimistic future" itch in a really great way.

I also think it's worth saying that she writes plots that are much more low stakes than "saving the planet/galaxy/universe," and makes them super compelling.

Also like Trek it has weird alien sex habits! But that's not like, the focus. Except when it is.

The second book in the series is one of my favorite sci fi books of all time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

External Organs posted:

Although very very different from Trek, and a book series, I find Becky Chambers Wayfarers series to scratch my "optimistic future" itch in a really great way.

I also think it's worth saying that she writes plots that are much more low stakes than "saving the planet/galaxy/universe," and makes them super compelling.

Also like Trek it has weird alien sex habits! But that's not like, the focus. Except when it is.

The second book in the series is one of my favorite sci fi books of all time.

This better not turn out to suck like Willful Child

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Sounds like you don’t have faith
....of the heart

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t think we spelled the joke out for the people in the back yet.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Hang on, those words sound oddly familiar.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We're in a thread talking about a series that mostly took place in the late 80s/90s, running poo poo into the ground is all we CAN do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Here's my essay on why the mars defense perimeter is the maginot line of the 2360s: