Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I liked Safeco a lot, academic conference season takes me back to Seattle often but the schedule never lines up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
byron buxton is very cool and insanely good and i hope he has a truly monster season

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shrecknet posted:

hell yeah fried grasshoppers my dude

It was a couple of years ago but they brought in a local ice cream company to do ice cream sandwiches and they were absolutely bomb. Only issue was the line was so long I missed like 3 innings waiting for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TL posted:

There's the Somerset Patriots in Jersey and have a really nice little park as well. They were an independent team until this year, when they became the Yankees AA affiliate, so I'm sure the Yankees will be pouring some big money into it, if they haven't already started.

I'm going to a game next week. It's like 10 mins from my house.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Buxton has increased his career OPS 30 points in 16 games.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it too early for a May thread title?

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1387506126619561986?s=20

MLB N/V May: It's interesting and it's funny and it sucks

gently caress New York.

Just imagine the level of assholery it takes to actually boo Frankie Lindor. I don’t care what the man is slashing, gently caress New York.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
texans really shouldn’t start sectional arguments

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yankees fans booed Derek Jeter

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Lindor has sucked, my dude. He's making more contact than Javy Baez, but that's about it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

:siren: PITCHER DINGER IN BRAVES GAME :siren:

https://twitter.com/BravesOnBally/status/1387567030107349005

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess this year is presumably the last chance for a lot of young pitchers to ever get one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've always enjoyed games at Comerica, the sightlines are pretty good everywhere in the stadium and the Tigers are rarely good enough to make getting tickets a hassle. I did go to a game at old Tigers Stadium, but I barely remember the trip. Fenway is of course my favorite stadium, but I almost never get a chance to go to a game there. I've also been to Citizens Bank Park and Jacobs Field, but only for one game each so I don't have much opinion about either.

My parents have nothing but good things to say about going to games at Dodger Stadium in the Seventies.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 29, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GalacticAcid posted:

texans really shouldn’t start sectional arguments

Oh I’m not pretending Texans aren’t also garbage people.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Booing Lindor for an April slump is really dumb, also completely predictable. he'll get hot soon and people will pretend like they loved him from the beginning

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone's got bad people. NYC is a city of 8 million. There's gonna be a lot of assholes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't boo players, except Rick Porcello, but booing someone doesn't make you a bad person.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

It was a couple of years ago but they brought in a local ice cream company to do ice cream sandwiches and they were absolutely bomb. Only issue was the line was so long I missed like 3 innings waiting for it.

I remember this! They were incredible.

They also had a mini doughnut bar that was very cool.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/BravesOnBally/status/1387585912322854914

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This is amazing

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That Bryce hbp....jesus

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

GalacticAcid posted:

That Bryce hbp....jesus

Yeah terrifying. gently caress.

He's been so good this year too! Goddamn. I hope he's okay and I hope this doesn't get in his head. Cause like... loving hell.

Edit: crazy to see the three batter minimum rule turn into a legit safety concern there too.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 29, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Baseball is beautiful

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GalacticAcid posted:

That Bryce hbp....jesus

And then Didi got drilled on the next pitch

Both were accidental, but how that dude a major league with that command

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

That Bryce hbp....jesus
goddamn I looked it up and it's not like a joe theisman level thing but I still did not like seeing that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

In the same game the Braves SP hit a dinger and a Cubs position player struck out a perennial AS.

The Cubs suck liquid rear end but baseball is cool and good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wonder how hard hitters try against a position pitcher

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Imagine getting struck out by one though

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I am very sad that Kyle Hendricks is getting lit up this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

If nothing else once they get to two strikes I'd wager they try pretty dang hard not to get struck out, because that is absolutely something you will be roasted for by your team forever.

Popete posted:

I am very sad that Kyle Hendricks is getting lit up this year.

He and Davies both look completely lost, which is kind of a problem since they're both low velo guys who rely on control.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
N: Mets lost 1-0 with deGrom pitching again
V: :mets:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It really is a beautiful game

https://twitter.com/ProductiveOuts/status/1387597062150115333

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's now canon that he did this on purpose.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Rizzo is going to be giving Freddie poo poo about that for the rest of their lives and I love it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mike Trout is truly blessed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FREDERICK!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

N: Mets lost 1-0 with deGrom pitching again
V: :mets:

Oh man it was softball night so I just saw the score and didn't put 2 and 2 together. Incredible.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I actually studied this once. In blowout games, position players have an ERA of about 6.00, and in extra-inning games they have an ERA of about 10.00. So when it's a blowout, the hitters often don't give a poo poo and just want to go home.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Regarding whether hitters try or not vs position players pitching in blowouts, I present Exhibit A:

The Braves won 10-0 and yet the top story and top video is Freeman getting struck out by Rizzo. Freeman seemed to take it in good humor but I imagine most players are interested in shying away from this kind of publicity. :v:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Freeman said after the game that everyone hates those ABs against position players.

I think while the position player certainly isn’t as formidable as a pitcher, there is on the other hand somewhat of a... foreign/unknown factor involved. An unpredictability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

When I used to work in an office before the current unpleasantness we had a Street Fighter III: Third Strike machine. We make video games and specifically we made the 360/PS3 port of SF3, so we have people who are "good" at "fighting games". Sometimes we'd get drunk after work and I would play one of those people (always ryu) and I would take at least one round for the first few games because I was so bad at the game that all their mental calculus about how I was going to act in the given situation would just go out the window, because I just acted like an idiot all the time. And then they'd figure that out and perform the 1999 fighting game equivalent of taking BP off me