Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Escobarbarian posted:

The casting for the guys was so fuckin spot-on, especially Burnham

I know a guy who shoved Bo Burnham down some stairs in high school because Burnham hit on his girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Presenting something uncritically is by definition taking a stand, it’s taking a stand for the status quo.

I still think the movie is good if not necessarily to my taste but you literally cannot have the arguably most evil corporation in the world in the same movie at the same time as Bob Wells says the line that “capitalism has failed [the stars of Nomadland]”, present the corporation completely without comment, and argue that it’s making a point.

The movie is explicitly not interested in presenting the failures of late market capitalism. It is explicitly focused on framing these nomads’ stories as the byproduct of grief and loss, whether it has happened, is happening, or is going to happen. That’s its aims. Now whether or not it should have presented the failures of late market capitalism and been a strong repudiation of the same, that’s the argument. But the thematic and tonal aim of the film is to present these lost souls as unmoored from their surroundings, literally so, because of the otherwhelming loss they have suffered.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not even that the movie should be a foam at the mouth screed against Amazon, it's that Amazon quite literally promotes their role in this grueling hellscape: https://www.amazondelivers.jobs/about/camperforce/

I know I've brought this up a lot in the past, but this convo reminds me of when I did that piece with penismightier about Werner Herzog making feature length commercials for internet companies and everyone kept ignoring the obvious to defend him. Like, just cause your ad features dark elements of the thing you're selling doesn't make it not an ad, the dark elements just provide further authenticity cause the audience believes they're seeing something legitimate.

Another good example is Cast Away, in which FedEx had a heavy hand in the direction of the film. They were hesitant about the plane crash at the beginning of the film featuring their logo'd company plane but they ultimately decided the message of the perseverance of their deliverymen was worth the potential of a firey crash hurting their brand image.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It makes me think back to Good Time which has a couple of brief segments in brand name stores (White Castle is one, I forget the other). It's immediately apparent that these depictions aren't even allowed to be lit in the same way as the rest of the film.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NieR Occomata posted:

Presenting something uncritically is by definition taking a stand, it’s taking a stand for the status quo.

I still think the movie is good if not necessarily to my taste but you literally cannot have the arguably most evil corporation in the world in the same movie at the same time as Bob Wells says the line that “capitalism has failed [the stars of Nomadland]”, present the corporation completely without comment, and argue that it’s making a point.

The movie is explicitly not interested in presenting the failures of late market capitalism. It is explicitly focused on framing these nomads’ stories as the byproduct of grief and loss, whether it has happened, is happening, or is going to happen. That’s its aims. Now whether or not it should have presented the failures of late market capitalism and been a strong repudiation of the same, that’s the argument. But the thematic and tonal aim of the film is to present these lost souls as unmoored from their surroundings, literally so, because of the otherwhelming loss they have suffered.

So you don't think that the collapse of the company town following the closure of the mine, leading to a group of people who have to move around looking for seasonal work, much of it unpleasant, is a commentary on late-stage capitalism? I still think that presenting Amazon as what is now considered a good job is making a point about late stage capitalism. What a comparison between that work and what life in Empire used to be.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think it’s really obvious that Chloe Zhao has never been poor a day in her life and she conceptualizes poverty as a state of emotional moorlessness similar to her own often discussed teenage restlessness, hence choosing as a subject migrant workers with a relatively atomized social structure instead of eg Latin American migrants who have communities that aren’t as deeply American or individualized.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Seems pretty clear that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Feels like the argument isn't so much that Nomadland isn't making a commentary on these issues but rather that it is compromised by capitulation to Amazon and therefore its motives more suspect.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NieR Occomata posted:

arguably most evil corporation in the world

as bad as Amazon is, I promise you that anything with "Koch" in the name is much, much more evil

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Klowner posted:

as bad as Amazon is, I promise you that anything with "Koch" in the name is much, much more evil

Or Nestle, or Bayer, or IG Farben, or Altria, or De Beers .... or really a whole pile of companies. Amazon is plenty evil, but "most evil" is a hell of a high bar when other companies have actively participated in mass murder.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The most disturbing part of Killer Joe was them calling it the K-fried C

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

banned from Starbucks posted:

The most disturbing part of Killer Joe was them calling it the K-fried C

Hearing that again makes me think it's really great efficient characterization of "idiots who think they're clever."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Hearing that again makes me think it's really great efficient characterization of "idiots who think they're clever."

The moral of the movie is never assume you’re the smartest one in the room

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not even that the movie should be a foam at the mouth screed against Amazon, it's that Amazon quite literally promotes their role in this grueling hellscape: https://www.amazondelivers.jobs/about/camperforce/

I had a pretty big lol about three or four weeks ago when Mark Pocan, my Congressman here in Wisconsin, slammed Amazon for its drivers having to piss in water bottles because they don't get time for breaks, Amazon tried to dunk on him on Twitter, and then after a ton of drivers spoke up and said "Uh, yeah, it's true," they issued a total backtrack and apology the next day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Part of the fact check was that also, sometimes drivers have to poo poo in bags.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Killer Joe is the use of Strokin'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like characters who aren't as dumb as people think they are but aren't nearly as smart as they think they are.

Like Ziggy Sobotka from the Wire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That crime film where JGL plays a character with traumatic brain damage.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Richard Jewell was so stupid. Jon Hamms character especially made no sense and he was acting just like he was on Mad Men for some reason

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doing a semi-payed soundman gig for a film school short. Every department is getting a truck full of rented gear and I'm just getting the ratty old equipment the school owns.

Lol.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

TrixRabbi posted:

I know I've brought this up a lot in the past, but this convo reminds me of when I did that piece with penismightier about Werner Herzog making feature length commercials for internet companies and everyone kept ignoring the obvious to defend him. Like, just cause your ad features dark elements of the thing you're selling doesn't make it not an ad, the dark elements just provide further authenticity cause the audience believes they're seeing something legitimate.

What are the Herzog movies that are feature length commercials? I'm not super familiar with his doc stuff outside of Grizzly Man and My Best Fiend.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Almost Blue posted:

What are the Herzog movies that are feature length commercials? I'm not super familiar with his doc stuff outside of Grizzly Man and My Best Fiend.

Fitzcarraldo is all about one man's obsessive quest to bring blazing fast fiber optic broadband to Peru

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Almost Blue posted:

He did an anti texting and driving thing for AT&T and did a doc on internet of things with sponsorship from some ISP I've never heard of.

Oh Yeah, and American Express paid for his documentary on The Killers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw Naked with David Thewliss, what a movie.

Also i'm slowly realizing how far away the 90's are in that whenever I look up a tv show or a movie, half the cast are dead now :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still have not really done the deep dive into Mike Leigh’s whole filmography but Naked is an all timer. Incredible movie.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Echoing the love for Naked. Thewlis is incredible in it. I haven't touched much modern Leigh but Meantime has a young Tim Roth, Gary Oldman AND Alfred Molina in Thatcherite Britain and it's quite good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Naked the film with a relatively graphic rape by the main character pretty early? I only saw it when I was a teenager and turned it off pretty quick after that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mistermojo posted:

Richard Jewell was so stupid. Jon Hamms character especially made no sense and he was acting just like he was on Mad Men for some reason

It's not like the real life situation was that much less stupid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Anybody have anything nice to say about August Osage County? I don’t, because I don’t remember anything about it besides “eat the fish, bitch.” What is it with Letts and the coercive consumption of fish/poultry?

The American Dad parody "Blood Crieth Unto Heaven" was pretty good, especially the live action Patrick Stewart bits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mistermojo posted:

Jon Hamms character especially made no sense and he was acting just like he was on Mad Men for some reason

I know this might sound heretical, but that's kind of Jon Hamm's thing when he's doing non-comedic roles. He absolutely has range, no question about it--he's absolutely incredible in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, for example, and he's fun in stuff like Bridesmaids and Baby Driver--but when it comes to dramas, he tends to have one note, he just plays that note incredibly well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

I know this might sound heretical, but that's kind of Jon Hamm's thing when he's doing non-comedic roles. He absolutely has range, no question about it--he's absolutely incredible in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, for example, and he's fun in stuff like Bridesmaids and Baby Driver--but when it comes to dramas, he tends to have one note, he just plays that note incredibly well.

I wonder how much of that is directors. You get Jon Hamm in a comedy, him acting like someone completely different than Don Drapper adds to the comedy, and "not Don Drapper" includes a lot of stuff, but you get him in something more serious you think about the gravitas he had in certain scenes and you want that for your serious film

I think it's why some actors try unfortunate accents too, just to make sure they aren't doing the same old role.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Jon Hamm is probably most at home in comedy because that's where he got his start. He just happened to take this one dramatic gig that turned into a cultural phenomenon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm disappointed in everyone who apparently "missed" movie theaters and rushed out to buoy an industry that was on the verge of finally dying out as it deserved to. This is even more disappointing than when Trump got better from Covid. We were so close to a utopia where every movie just hits Netflix the minute it's done and there's no more Oscars.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'm disappointed in everyone who apparently "missed" movie theaters and rushed out to buoy an industry that was on the verge of finally dying out as it deserved to. This is even more disappointing than when Trump got better from Covid. We were so close to a utopia where every movie just hits Netflix the minute it's done and there's no more Oscars.

Not everyone has a giant TV and UHD player.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

This is kind of a weird thing with me. I don't really understand how people can say they miss "going to the movies" so badly, because to me watching a movie at home on my lovely TV from 2007 is the same as watching that movie in a theater, except it costs a whole lot less. It's like when my Mom lived with me and my ex-wife for a while and she'd always ask to "go to the movies," even when there was absolute dogshit in theaters. I once said so to her--that the current offerings were dogshit and not worth dropping 40 bucks on--and she said to me, "But it's the thing of going to the movies."

I mean, I can give her a pass because she was born in 1948 and "the movies" were more of A Thing when she was a kid, but still, I really don't see going to theaters as a special experience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dynamic range in cinema screens definitely feels lacking these days, yeah. But then you go to like a Dolby cinema or something and it’s absolutely incredible. One reason I like going to the cinema anyway is because I am extremely bad at ignoring my phone when watching stuff at home

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not everyone has a giant TV and UHD player.

I've given a very bad impression of my lifestyle if you think I have either.

Timby posted:

This is kind of a weird thing with me. I don't really understand how people can say they miss "going to the movies" so badly, because to me watching a movie at home on my lovely TV from 2007 is the same as watching that movie in a theater, except it costs a whole lot less. It's like when my Mom lived with me and my ex-wife for a while and she'd always ask to "go to the movies," even when there was absolute dogshit in theaters. I once said so to her--that the current offerings were dogshit and not worth dropping 40 bucks on--and she said to me, "But it's the thing of going to the movies."

I mean, I can give her a pass because she was born in 1948 and "the movies" were more of A Thing when she was a kid, but still, I really don't see going to theaters as a special experience.

I'd like to see some movies in theaters.... movies that I know are good and could benefit from the bigger screen and louder audio. Like Aliens, or Robocop.

I hate the current system where you have to schedule your entire evening around going to see a new movie that might be a huge turd in the theater instead of watching it at home the second it's available and turning it off 25 minutes in and playing pac-man on emulator because you don't have sunk cost fallacy. And if you don't feel like going to the theater to see the latest noise festival but you still care what happens in it you have to dodge spoilers for like 6 months before you're finally allowed to watch it from the comfort of your home.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 29, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Escobarbarian posted:

Dynamic range in cinema screens definitely feels lacking these days, yeah. But then you go to like a Dolby cinema or something and it’s absolutely incredible. One reason I like going to the cinema anyway is because I am extremely bad at ignoring my phone when watching stuff at home

Lol yeah i can relate to this although tbh i rate most films ive seen at the cinema on the "how many times did i check the time on my phone" scale.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like going to see weird and uncomfortable poo poo at the movies because I can't pause if it gets to heavy. You know Saló, Cannibal Holocaust, The Shane Black The Predator

Preferably sitting in the front row so it absolutely fills my vision.

Also the sound system of even the dinkiest theatre beats out almost any home theater system especially these days where it's all soundbars.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the excitement of going to the movies drops to near 0 when youre like 30 and everyone you know is married or lives 20 miles away buts it cool that younger people can still go and have fun or get cranked off in the back row or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not being exposed to back row crankings or an old guy who coughs the entire time is one of the benefits of Netflix.