Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Vengarr posted:

600 is really great. Absolutely massive battles.

Nex has it so when you piss off a faction enough, they’ll send out “Vengeance fleets”. At the highest level of Mad, the fleets are massive and all the ships have 1-2 story point built-in hullmods.

You can salvage some REALLY nice ships. 14th Battlegroup Onslaught with built-in Heavy Armor and Integrated Targeting Unit? Thanks for that, Mr. Daud. See you soon—my invasion fleet is on the way to Chicomoztec.

I'll have to see what I did wrong when I get home. Just set max battle size to 600? No other settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Putting it to 600 just changes the max slider value. You have to then go into settings in-game and set it to your desired amount.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Travic posted:

I'll have to see what I did wrong when I get home. Just set max battle size to 600? No other settings?

You have to change the allowed max battle size in starsector-core/data/config/settings.json and then head into the options menu and adjust it up.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Vengarr posted:

600 is really great. Absolutely massive battles.

Nex has it so when you piss off a faction enough, they’ll send out “Vengeance fleets”. At the highest level of Mad, the fleets are massive and all the ships have 1-2 story point built-in hullmods.

You can salvage some REALLY nice ships. 14th Battlegroup Onslaught with built-in Heavy Armor and Integrated Targeting Unit? Thanks for that, Mr. Daud. See you soon—my invasion fleet is on the way to Chicomoztec.

I had a tri tach vengeance fleet yesterday that had ships with 3 built in mods! Was wild.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Gotcha. I was avoiding going into that menu because I was afraid it'd bug out from a higher than standard amount. :v:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Travic posted:

Gotcha. I was avoiding going into that menu because I was afraid it'd bug out from a higher than standard amount. :v:

You don't need to worry about the game crashing from having too many things going on, it just slows down. It's very well programmed that way. Judging by how low the VRAM count is on the comparatively small number of mods I'm running right now I'm pretty sure I ran myself right out and then some in previous versions; still perfectly stable. In-person station fights don't go so great because the AI defending fleet by preference clusters behind the station instead of fighting, but that's about the start and end of problems with massive battles.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Has anyone seen bounties where there's *no* information on where to find them? As far as I'm concerned, this dude is a ghost.

https://imgur.com/a/Uktp7W7

e:for some reason image linking isn't working but here's the url

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

feedtheid posted:

Has anyone seen bounties where there's *no* information on where to find them? As far as I'm concerned, this dude is a ghost.

https://imgur.com/a/Uktp7W7

e:for some reason image linking isn't working but here's the url

That's an underworld bounty from the bar, isn't it? That dude is a defense fleet somewhere in the system so nominally by ain inhabited planet of the faction, stable point with improvement like a nav buoy, or a jump point. Somewhere also helpfully includes being off the system grid on the map tab chasing a pirate fleet or whatever so have fun lol

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Complications posted:

That's an underworld bounty from the bar, isn't it? That dude is a defense fleet somewhere in the system so nominally by ain inhabited planet of the faction, stable point with improvement like a nav buoy, or a jump point. Somewhere also helpfully includes being off the system grid on the map tab chasing a pirate fleet or whatever so have fun lol

System uninhabited; no remnant; excited to go pixel hunting. I've run myself out of thousands of supplies twice already doing it, but y'know. Completionism.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Use the Neutrino Detector. It picks up fleets along with salvageables.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

Vengarr posted:

Use the Neutrino Detector. It picks up fleets along with salvageables.

Late to that party. I’ve been using the detector - my best guess is they somehow annihilated themselves and I just haven’t found out yet?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

feedtheid posted:

Late to that party. I’ve been using the detector - my best guess is they somehow annihilated themselves and I just haven’t found out yet?

If the mission is still active, they're somewhere, but yeah those can be an amazing pain in the rear end.

In settings.json, you can change the base sensor power to 50000 and the max detection culling range to same if you want to cheat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

feedtheid posted:

System uninhabited; no remnant; excited to go pixel hunting. I've run myself out of thousands of supplies twice already doing it, but y'know. Completionism.

Download the mod neutrino detector mk2. Also bounty fleets tend to do annoying things sometimes like chasing a remnant fleet far off the map.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20066 One such example.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

feedtheid posted:

Even if they got wrecked neutrino detector should still pick up the debris

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is there a way to get the neutrino detector and ziggurat if you’re using the randomised core setting from nex? It gives you a Janus device but no neutrino detector and I haven’t seen any random gravity wells around for the zig

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wafflecopper posted:

Is there a way to get the neutrino detector and ziggurat if you’re using the randomised core setting from nex? It gives you a Janus device but no neutrino detector and I haven’t seen any random gravity wells around for the zig

I’m pretty sure there’s a skill that gives you the neutrino detector. No idea about the zig.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Wafflecopper posted:

I actually came here to ask this exact question.

I've also not seen it around anywhere.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm still really new to this and busy exploring the vanilla game. But I slowly want to start adding mods and am especially interested in more ships. Which ship mods would you recommend to a newbie and where can I get the American Eagle one from the first post?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
The 'Murica ship is a special bounty target included in Tiandong, which hasn't been updated yet, I'm afraid. As far as ship mods, you might wanna start off with more vanilla-adjacent mods instead of ones which add whole factions.

Off the top of my head, the most major currently updated "vanilla extensions" are Vayras Ship Pack and Torchships and Deadly Armaments. There's also SWP, but that's still in the process of updating and will probably be a while.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

I think I've made my point to the Hegemony, the League, the Church, the Path, the pirates and the independents. Tri-Tach and Sindria get to stay because they didn't object to my AIs or the total murder of the rest of the sector. Pity there's no market for my goods anymore, but that seems like a decent cap to the campaign.

Also there seems to be one independent station in Magec that can't be destroyed by any means. A bug, or some way of making sure that you can't completely depopulate the sector and make the game unwinnable for yourself?

Daktar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 29, 2021

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hammerstein posted:

I'm still really new to this and busy exploring the vanilla game. But I slowly want to start adding mods and am especially interested in more ships. Which ship mods would you recommend to a newbie and where can I get the American Eagle one from the first post?

Anything from Nia Tahl, Vayra or Tartiflette on the mod index page is a safe choice. Also Shadowyards.

Outer Rim Alliance is very fun, but you have to be careful with their loadouts or the AI won’t realize that they are meant for broadsides.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Daktar posted:

Also there seems to be one independent station in Magec that can't be destroyed by any means. A bug, or some way of making sure that you can't completely depopulate the sector and make the game unwinnable for yourself?

A few story-vital locations can't be destroyed until their role in the story is done. It's very likely that the flag saying "okay we're done with this place, you can blow it up now" doesn't get removed properly, there was a very similar bug with gates that were permanently unscannable due to ships in the way that weren't actually there any more that got fixed a patch or two ago.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I finally got to the point where I could take on the Motherships this game. Halfway through the battle I realized I was missing a bunch of Ramparts. There were supposed to be about 10 of them, but I'd only blown up two or three.

Then I hit Tab.

https://i.imgur.com/ub5Yppc.png
:tif:

Godspeed little Eagle. Godspeed.

:edit: Spoilered just to be safe.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Oh no.

https://imgur.com/a/YrXjSrj

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

oh no

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I don't know what that means.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tarquinn posted:

I don't know what that means.

Be Thankful.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Omega Onslaught?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wonder if a steam release could being new modding tools too. I wonder if it's possible to design an enemy weapon that works like the beast in Homeworks Cataclysm.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Mod updating would have to be way less save corrupty for steam workshop to be useful though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
No, seriously, what am I looking at?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tarquinn posted:

No, seriously, what am I looking at?

Have you finished the main plot yet?

If no it's spoilers.

If yes There is a joke in the modding community that every faction gets their own reskin of the Onslaught. Reskinned Onslaughts are like a baby's first mod ship tradition or something. Someone made a Tesseract Onslaught, which is terrifying for obvious reasons if you know what Tesseracts are.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Psycho Landlord posted:

Have you finished the main plot yet?

If no it's spoilers.

If yes There is a joke in the modding community that every faction gets their own reskin of the Onslaught. Reskinned Onslaughts are like a baby's first mod ship tradition or something. Someone made a Tesseract Onslaught, which is terrifying for obvious reasons if you know what Tesseracts are.

Ah, I see. Thanks! :tipshat:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Can anyone recommend me a list of mods that don't veer wildly from the design ethos of base Starsector and that wont effect game balance? The one I've heard most about is Nex, but what else should I get? Been playing the game for years without mods and I think it's time I change that

EDIT: While I'm asking questions: has anyone noticed that the game becomes a bit unstable around late game this patch? Been experiencing my first few crashes

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 29, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably say that most of the mods don't diverge too far from the game's art style but a lot of them do it in wildly different directions from each other. So while most mod content will fit with the game, it won't necessarily fit with all the other mods?

Also it depends on what you think is the biggest divergence, shadowyards probably isn't that far diverged from high tech but everything is painted extremely green so it's probably one of the weirdest looking factions in that respect. But I don't think "paint" is domain restricted technology in the sector it's just most of the factions don't use it and a lot of mods do to give their ships a stronger theme.

I would say most faction mods have a distinct theme and will lack the comparatively shared technology of the vanilla factions, but that's just part of them being faction mods.

There's stuff like the ship and weapon pack that adds generic ships that aren't faction aligned, and there's stuff like tiandong and the roiders which are based around refitting/kitbashing existing designs. And there's stuff like Mayasura that stick very closely to a pre-established theme (midline) but honestly I would just install stuff and try a few quick start games with everything and see what you like?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 29, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dorkopotamis posted:

Can anyone recommend me a list of mods that don't veer wildly from the design ethos of base Starsector and that wont effect game balance? The one I've heard most about is Nex, but what else should I get? Been playing the game for years without mods and I think it's time I change that

Vayra's Ship Pack
Torch ships (TADA)
Ship & Weapons Pack

are all basically Vanilla ship expansion packs.

Seeker - Unknown Contact and Tahlan shipworks are good and don't add new factions but have some nutso stuff in them.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Are there any QoL mods that improve inventory management? I'd like some way of selling/moving a bunch of stuff at once, like when I have a bunch of weapons in cargo and want to unload them. Or am I missing some obvious way to do this?

Otherwise goddamn I love this game, such satisfying combat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Trapick posted:

Are there any QoL mods that improve inventory management? I'd like some way of selling/moving a bunch of stuff at once, like when I have a bunch of weapons in cargo and want to unload them. Or am I missing some obvious way to do this?

Otherwise goddamn I love this game, such satisfying combat.

Transfer All Items

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

This does have problems on some installs. Apparently UI scaling screws it up badly because it’s pretty much an AutoHotKey script, so if you’re on a 4K monitor it may not work for you - it certainly has never worked on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Still going through the newbie mistakes.

Had my first colony, on a nice earth-like planet not far from the inner systems. Overextended myself and did not have enough resources for proper colony development, then took crummy jobs to finance all the stuff and ended up broke at the corner of the sector, with the return trip costing me most of my fleet.

Time for a new campaign. Gotta respect the vast distances and hazards of space more, this time.

This game is great.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 30, 2021