Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

~Coxy posted:

I was looking into that because people from work were talking about it and there's some even more bananas choices in SKU segmentation like no 32GB RAM on a AMD CPU.

the surfaces do the same thing all windows laptops with soldered ram do (so almost all laptops at this point) where you can only get 16 or especially 32 gig ram along with a bunch of poo poo you might not need, and i hate it

i do web development for a living. i don't need a super beefy computer - all our build tools are garbage single-core-locked javascript poo poo that really doesn't get much faster the more power you throw at it, especially when that power is more cores. i definitely don't need disk space beyond like 128 gig; code is small and i have no need for on-device storage in a cloud world (a lot of dev stuff is i/o-bound so an nvme would be nice but lmfao who is going to offer a 128 gig nvme). what i really need is ram, for both browser tabs and the WSL2 vm.

unfortunately, there is no laptop in the world where i can configure like the world's most basic i5, a 128 gig ssd, and 16 gigs of ram. you want that ram, you are also getting some battery-destroying i7 and like some dumb 512 gig ssd, and you are dropping an extra $500 on it for no goddamn reason

Mu Zeta posted:

drat i really wish there was a PC equivalent to Apple's M1 chip. Everyone would be flipping out if AMD had made something like it.

i mean, just in terms of "arm on pc," microsoft has the surface pro x, the single worst device purchasing decision you could possibly make in 2021, in an attempt to spearhead this. i assume they only offer this on a thousand dollar device because anything cheaper wouldn't be able to brute force x86 emulation (https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...nsider-program/)

it is a custom microsoft chip, the "SQ2," which was done with qualcomm, so it's kiiinda like an m1. supposedly they're still iterating on this on their own (and qualcomm is also working on building their own more beefy arm chips, though i bet that'd be more server-targeted)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit 2: Didn't know there were Surface Pro 8 rumors and leaks. Looks like they might have Tiger Lake (10nm) silicon. Thank god, finally.

i still hold out hope for the dream of a powerful windows tablet (watching the ipad pro continue to get beefier while continuing to not have a single coding tool on it, very annoying) and hope that winds up being a better deal than past surfaces but i am not holding my breath

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I've got an XPS Developer Edition on order and I'd like to buy a dock for it. I've never bought a dock before, is there reason to believe that any given one wouldn't be Linux-compatible? Or should I expect any of them to Just Work? Specifically I was looking at Thunderbolt 4 docks like this Kensington one or this OWC one.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I'm looking to get a new gaming laptop, and was checking out the new Nvidia 3000 gpus they come with, and they don't really look like they stand up to the PC versions very well. I thought laptop gpus had largely reached parity with their PC counterparts? Is this something that is likely to be solved in the next generation Nvidia laptop gpus? If so I should probably just wait till next year right?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Taco Duck posted:

I'm looking to get a new gaming laptop, and was checking out the new Nvidia 3000 gpus they come with, and they don't really look like they stand up to the PC versions very well. I thought laptop gpus had largely reached parity with their PC counterparts? Is this something that is likely to be solved in the next generation Nvidia laptop gpus? If so I should probably just wait till next year right?

They will basically never be equal to the desktop versions because of power and cooling requirements. It didn't help that Nvidia chose to up the power consumption of their desktop GPUs this time around while the laptop chips don't have that option, but a decent difference will always be there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Taco Duck posted:

Basically the way it works is laptop cards are at least playing in the same league now instead of being incredibly puny like they used to be. The same model numbers aren’t going to compare but in some configurations the laptop 3070 can stand up to a desktop 2070... as long as the thermals hold which isn’t guaranteed to be for long.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

abraham linksys posted:

i still hold out hope for the dream of a powerful windows tablet (watching the ipad pro continue to get beefier while continuing to not have a single coding tool on it, very annoying) and hope that winds up being a better deal than past surfaces but i am not holding my breath

I understand where you're coming from, and am immensely gratified that Intel has a new IGP microarchitecture since.... what, Broadwell? 2013? That's an improvement, at least.

My hope was that IGPs would get to the point where they'd at least be equivalent to a 750ti.... we're a few years late on when I'd hope that, but we're almost there, finally.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I looking to get a laptop for a new college student going to engineering school. I'm thinking a reliable manufacturer, 14-15 inch screen with a slim metal build and whatever specs needed to run school software and normal business apps. CPU?, 16gb ram or upgradable, 512+ ssd. Gaming performance is not a concern. Any recommendations for something like this, hopefully in the $1k range?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Withnail posted:

I looking to get a laptop for a new college student going to engineering school. I'm thinking a reliable manufacturer, 14-15 inch screen with a slim metal build and whatever specs needed to run school software and normal business apps. CPU?, 16gb ram or upgradable, 512+ ssd. Gaming performance is not a concern. Any recommendations for something like this, hopefully in the $1k range?

There'll most likely be a lot better deals in July/August, especially at that price range. If you can, I'd wait. Late Summer is one of the better times to buy a laptop, typically. I'd also maybe suggest be flexible on the metal chasis. Honestly they are more about looks/feel than actually better.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spe...black/6428660.p

This thing keeps dropping to $1399 (it isn't that right now that I could find) but that would be a great student laptop. Checks your boxes (aluminum frame) and it's a 2-in-1 which is a real nice feature for an engineering student, even if they don't realize it now. I guess the screen is 13.5"not 14. :shrug: I'd bet that will be under $1,200 this summer.

Zenbook's are ok, but the specs are usually anemic. I don't recommend Dell anymore unless it's a steal. HP Envy's are ok, but smaller screen.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so like two days after complaining about not being able to get a mid-range laptop with 16 gigs of ram, i found out you totally can, and now i'm really tempted to impulse buy this: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-14

the big compromise here is the screen, which i think i'd be fine with on a resolution level, but having super low brightness is a bummer. i do have dreams of computing outside this summer once i'm fully vax'd sitting at an outdoor table at a coffee shop or something, and i don't think 250 nits would cut it :negative:

i hope this is an encouraging sign that more $600-800 laptops will have 16 gig options, though. 8 is fine for most people (i think it should basically be illegal to sell a windows laptop with 4 gigs at this point; those base surface gos are so much worse value than like a chromebook would be) but there's plenty of use cases for 16GB of ram on a relatively mid-spec machine (software dev, lotta memory hungry design apps like photoshop or figma, etc)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

abraham linksys posted:

the big compromise here is the screen, which i think i'd be fine with on a resolution level, but having super low brightness is a bummer. i do have dreams of computing outside this summer once i'm fully vax'd sitting at an outdoor table at a coffee shop or something, and i don't think 250 nits would cut it :negative:

I got the older version of this for my daughter, for the dollar it really is an amazing laptop. The screen isn't super bright but it's above average reflection handling makes up for it somewhat. It can get washed out but my daughter will use it sitting outside in partial shade and it's fine. You do basically run it at 100% brightness all the time, so that 16hr battery life is real suspect in practical terms.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
It's new laptop time at work. Before the pandemic, everyone else on my team got new M1 MacBook Pros with a bunch of extra stuff. I elected not to get one then because I read, briefly, that Boot Camp wasn't an option at the time. My manager likes us all to have Macs because he says it sets a tone/sends a message about our team (what that is, exactly, I do not know but whatever, it isn't my money). I do not like to use MacOS and I would be installing Windows 10 anyway.

Now that I read more about ARM/M1 I realize that Boot Camp is just out of the question for the foreseeable future. I have been shopping laptops and would like some advice. My budget is pretty large, as much as $2500 probably since that is about how much those M1 MBPs were. I don't do too much web/digital production work anymore but it would be nice to have the capability if I do. Adobe Cloud Suite (Dreamweaver, Photoshop mainly), email, word processing, etc. would be what I need to be able to run. Having a gaming laptop would be nice, but something with a longer battery and something light is nicer. I have a Xbox Series X and a PS5 to do gaming. I have a low end gaming PC but I don't really play too many games on my computer anyway (we are working remotely and being on the computer is too close to "work" for me).

Here are some that I have looked at:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spe...p?skuId=6428660
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YD1JF3J
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6452913

I have been looking at 1th gen i7 laptops as well as Ryzen 9 laptops. Is there a performance difference or is it a matter of preference?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For 11th gen intel vs Ryzen, depends on the chip. The HP x360 has a i7-1165G7, which is a step down from a 5900HS in performance, for instance. However, the Intels can have thunderbolt which can be nice.

In general you have two options: Scam a gaming machine out of your work laptop (more power there) or get a better work laptop.

For the former, get a G14 or G15. Bonus on the white because it looks sorta like a Mac so you can have that team unity your boss cares about. Don't get a x360 and the LG Gram isn't even a good gaming machine.

If you want a better productivity laptop, the Thinkpad X1 carbon or Yoga Titanium (Yoga definitely step up the CPU which brings it closer to $2k). Those are going to be much better than a consumer LG Gram, especially if you're not paying for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm looking at getting a new 13-14 inch 2-in-1 as a remote work and kill-time-on-the-train machine and have seen what looks like a really good sale price on a 2020 model HP Spectre 13 x360 with a 10th Gen i7 processor, 512GB drive and 8GB RAM for $1650AUD. Is there any better recommendations for around that price point, or should I just jump on that Spectre? Ideally I'm looking for decent specs and good battery life, doesn't have to be high-end it's mostly just gonna be doing web browsing and acting as a remote client to work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm looking at getting a new 13-14 inch 2-in-1 as a remote work and kill-time-on-the-train machine and have seen what looks like a really good sale price on a 2020 model HP Spectre 13 x360 with a 10th Gen i7 processor, 512GB drive and 8GB RAM for $1650AUD. Is there any better recommendations for around that price point, or should I just jump on that Spectre? Ideally I'm looking for decent specs and good battery life, doesn't have to be high-end it's mostly just gonna be doing web browsing and acting as a remote client to work.

I dunno about prices in AU. Maybe look to see if there's a Flex 5 around for less? Your deal seems high for only 8GB of RAM. That isn't a huge deal but I am neraly certain its soldered on the x360 so if you're spending that much its nice to have 16GB. Otherwise the x360 is nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lockback posted:

I dunno about prices in AU. Maybe look to see if there's a Flex 5 around for less? Your deal seems high for only 8GB of RAM. That isn't a huge deal but I am neraly certain its soldered on the x360 so if you're spending that much its nice to have 16GB. Otherwise the x360 is nice.

It is soldered, but it seems that the HDD's replaceable. I've looked for the 16GB model, but there's only the 2021 model around with that, and I'm pretty sure this is a clearance price to try and shift what's left. The going price for it is $2,000AUD+ normally everywhere else, so I think I'm just gonna jump on the Spectre X360 if there's no major red flags with it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The reason there's no M1 on PC is Microsoft. Windows as an ecosystem is so full of x86 cruft that it stops being useful if you take it all out (as they keep finding out when they try and sell it to us that way and nobody buys it)

If Microsoft could come up with a compatibility layer as good as Apple did for the new Rosetta, it might be feasible. Pretty loving unlikely though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I would guess it is only a matter of time before MS gets their stuff down to work well on ARM. They obviously see the benefit, which has probably only compounded since they've started that project to begin with.

Whatever it takes for me to get an iPad quality and form factor(and weight) device thatll run windows :shrug:

man that'd be neat

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm sure they see the value, they've been working on it for at least 15 years and they've been trying to bring it to market for 10. They keep faceplanting over and over though, Windows RT was a joke and so was their Qualcomm partnership.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I'm still hemming and hawing over returning this HP Envy i've got, and getting this instead:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...win-10/15264488

I don't mind dropping settings a bit, and don't think I'll play anything over 1080p, would this have more staying power than a PS5 if I were to get away from consoles? I haven't done any serious gaming on PC in years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stockwell posted:

I'm still hemming and hawing over returning this HP Envy i've got, and getting this instead:

I don't mind dropping settings a bit, and don't think I'll play anything over 1080p, would this have more staying power than a PS5 if I were to get away from consoles? I haven't done any serious gaming on PC in years.

You'd be better off building a tower for PC gaming imo, if you want to go that far down the rabbithole. It'll last a LOT longer than a laptop because you can pick-and-mix parts for incremental upgrades.

If you just want something simple that's guaranteed to be relevant for a good 5-10 years, go with the PS5.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What other laptops besides the Surface Pro have detachable keyboards? (And don't suck)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd be better off building a tower for PC gaming imo

Have fun spending $900 on a graphics card or waiting a year for stock to catch up

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Stockwell posted:

Did a laptop you bought in 2013 when the ps4 came out last until the ps5 was released? That would be like a 4000 series cpu and a 760 if you're lucky. So no. It won't have the staying power for gaming.

It's a great laptop though but I wouldn't do an either or with a console.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So, the Matebook X Pro on Amazon is at the lowest I think it ever will be at £820. Probably still not worth the price in terms of other machines' power, but in terms of aesthetics, its right up there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Mat...19593780&sr=8-6

Edit - YOLO'd it. Hope I don't get a lemon! Will answer questions once I have it for a week or so.

henpod fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 28, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lockback posted:

Did a laptop you bought in 2013 when the ps4 came out last until the ps5 was released? That would be like a 4000 series cpu and a 760 if you're lucky. So no. It won't have the staying power for gaming.

I don't have a dog in this fight but could it not be argued that this isn't true for the PS4 or XBone either?
You were getting a pretty second class experience trying to run the latest AAA on your launch console, and were recommended to upgrade to a Pro or XBonX.

VVV fair enough; I'll defer to your knowledge in this area.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

~Coxy posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight but could it not be argued that this isn't true for the PS4 or XBone either?
You were getting a pretty second class experience trying to run the latest AAA on your launch console, and were recommended to upgrade to a Pro or XBonX.

Nooo, the PS4 Pro was very much been an optional thing through its lifespan and never the norm. Hell, most games didn't even take advantage of it. A gaming laptop's not going to last you as long as a console because it's on a platform subject to endless revisions and upgrades every single year and you'll get caught short if anything completely new pops into existence (eg; VR, as some laptops don't route the GPU through their external display port). A console is a consistent variable for its entire lifespan and anything added on to that typically works with the standard model (eg; PSVR).

Not to say a gaming laptop in of itself is bad, just that if you're expecting it to be a relatively-current machine for any length of time on par with a modern console it's not gonna happen. We're already on the cusp of getting the new super-fast SSD's used in PS5's getting a broader release, as another example.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I dunno, assuming build quality is good, there's no reason why a midrange laptop won't last you near a console's lifespan. Stuff just isn't moving that fast anymore unless you HAVE to max out every setting.

My desktop has a GTX 1080 in it. That GPU is 5 years old, less than 3 years shy of the PS4, and it's fine. Sure I would love to slap an RTX3070 in there too get more frames, but I can still play AAA titles above 60fps at near highest settings. It would take a LOT more to make games unplayable on it and I don't see that happening for a long time yet.

There was a big jump in capability two hardware generations ago, once we got into GTX era of chips, the gains have been much more modest.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 28, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I dunno, assuming build quality is good, there's no reason why a midrange laptop won't last you near a console's lifespan. Stuff just isn't moving that fast anymore unless you HAVE to max out every setting.

My desktop has a GTX 1080 in it. That GPU is 5 years old, less than 3 years shy of the PS4, and it's fine. Sure I would love to slap an RTX3070 in there too get more frames, but I can still play AAA titles above 60fps at near highest settings. It would take a LOT more to make games unplayable on it and I don't see that happening for a long time yet.

There was a big jump in capability two hardware generations ago, once we got into GTX era of chips, the gains have been much more modest.

Maybe? But "I bought a top-of-the-line GPU more than a third of the way into the console's lifespan and it's still ok" is not quite the same thing. Again, the laptop he posted was a 3060, how long ago would a 760 or even a 770 been outdated? And that's desktop, the mobile market was even worse. And if things slow down, I'd expect the PS5 lifespan to be even longer than the PS4.

A gaming laptop is fine, but "Which is going to be relevant longer, a console at launch or a mid-range GPU at launch" the console has a WAYY better record and usually wins out by a significant margin.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Lockback posted:

It's a great laptop though but I wouldn't do an either or with a console.

You are not wrong but gaming laptops in 2013 vs 2021 are a completely different proposition.

Really what I think will hold a gaming laptop's longevity back now is battery lifespan and overall build quality. A laptop is just going to face more daily wear and tear than a console sitting under your TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lockback posted:

Maybe? But "I bought a top-of-the-line GPU more than a third of the way into the console's lifespan and it's still ok" is not quite the same thing. Again, the laptop he posted was a 3060, how long ago would a 760 or even a 770 been outdated? And that's desktop, the mobile market was even worse. And if things slow down, I'd expect the PS5 lifespan to be even longer than the PS4.

A gaming laptop is fine, but "Which is going to be relevant longer, a console at launch or a mid-range GPU at launch" the console has a WAYY better record and usually wins out by a significant margin.

Still though, you can game on a 980m if you are willing to make similar compromises in image quality that consoles are doing. That's a 2014 part, barely a year after the ps4 was released.

You can average above 60fps at 1080p with Borderlands 3 on very low settings where the PS4 is running at a locked 30fps at 1080p.

With DLSS on newer GPUs, the lifespan is likely to be even longer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Raffles posted:

You are not wrong but gaming laptops in 2013 vs 2021 are a completely different proposition.

Really what I think will hold a gaming laptop's longevity back now is battery lifespan and overall build quality. A laptop is just going to face more daily wear and tear than a console sitting under your TV.

Yeah this

With the advent of the 10*0 series GPU, gaming laptops are finally good, and a legitimate desktop replacement. I have no desire to upgrade my 1050 gpu laptop from... 2017? It's what, nearly 4 years old at this point? I'll probably replace it here in another two years or so, once VR stuff shakes out a bit more

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

a lot of people forget that even though they were playing the latest COD on their OG xbone from yesteryear, they were doing it at sub 720p and 30* fps

*maybe

but yeah, ignoring hardware failure (frankly i'll bet on my xps 15 vs any edition of xbox for reliability), nobody that bought a gaming laptop with a 1070 or greater is too sad about how they compete against consoles rn. especially when you realize that even the 2070 came out in january of 2019.

idgaf about pc vs console, i just do not think reality was being represented accurately.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

idgaf about pc vs console, i just do not think reality was being represented accurately.

Statutory Ape posted:

a lot of people forget that even though they were playing the latest COD on their OG xbone from yesteryear, they were doing it at sub 720p and 30* fps

This is not true. PS4 (not pro) is 1080p and FPS usually in the 50s-60s in the Modern Warfare remake. Xbone (not X) has a lower res and a little lower FPS, but not nearly what you represented.

You guys are vastly underestimating the performance gains you get when you can develop for specific hardware. You're also comparing a x60 part (which was the original question) and swapping in x70/x80s. The question is, will you get the same performance from a 3060 as you will from a PS5 over the next 8+ years.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 29, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Someone finally came up with the exact laptop I've been waiting for!

One-Netbook 4 is 10", 16:10 2.5k screen, touch and pen support, tiger lake i-5 and i7, thunderbolt, PD charging, etc. Would be a perfect replacement for my almost 4 years old Cube Mix Plus that's been great for travel use, but that one cost like $300 and this is almost a grand. And it's not like I can actully go anywhere

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lockback posted:

The question is, will you get the same performance from a 3060 as you will from a PS5 over the next 8+ years.

Kind of an academic question when you can actually buy a 3060 laptop when chances of being able to buy a PS5 without camping out online for drops isn't likely to come until the second half of 2022.

But yes, I think you will in so far as you'll be able to play all the same games enjoyably. Maybe the PS5 will have some marginal graphical enhancement due to optimization, but overall capabilities aren't going to be to the point where something is playable one, but unplayable on the other.

I mean, I have a PS4 Pro and I can actually get better performance out of some games with my XPS 15 with a 960m.

I haven't tried it, but here's Control.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DEx2ogYZZZ4

I can tell you that looks comparable to sightly better than it was playing on the PS4 Pro.

So, I don't think it's something to sweat overall. We always look at min frames, every knob turned up to 11, but the reality is when you are immersed in a game, you likely aren't going to notice that you have shadows on medium instead of high or that you are using a slightly worse anti-aliasing and those little tweaks keep systems viable longer. The main difference is those tweaks are happening behind the scenes to the end user on consoles to hit a performance target whereas on PC it's up to the user to make the choice.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lockback posted:

This is not true. PS4 (not pro) is 1080p and FPS usually in the 50s-60s in the Modern Warfare remake. Xbone (not X) has a lower res and a little lower FPS, but not nearly what you represented.

You guys are vastly underestimating the performance gains you get when you can develop for specific hardware. You're also comparing a x60 part (which was the original question) and swapping in x70/x80s. The question is, will you get the same performance from a 3060 as you will from a PS5 over the next 8+ years.

i mentioned a gtx 1070 and an rtx 2070, how do you think those compare to a rtx 3060 ?

also, i guess theyre potentially all fake, but theres plenty of resources talking about ps4 and xbone downscaling from 1080 and dropping fps lol

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 29, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
To be honest, one of the big reasons I even got my Ryzen 9/RTX 3070 laptop was specifically so I didn’t have to mess with needing a PS5 for the foreseeable future

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I've got an XPS Developer Edition on order and I'd like to buy a dock for it. I've never bought a dock before, is there reason to believe that any given one wouldn't be Linux-compatible? Or should I expect any of them to Just Work? Specifically I was looking at Thunderbolt 4 docks like this Kensington one or this OWC one.

Sorry to ask again on the same page but my laptop just shipped two weeks earlier than projected and I haven't ordered a dock yet. I did try writing to Kensington about it but they haven't responded

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm looking into getting a new gaming laptop, since my current one is old as hell and randomly restarts on me sometimes, so I need to upgrade. I was looking at a Predator Helios 700 earlier in the week, but that sale ended and it jumped from 2600, to 3500 which 2600 was the upper limits of my budget. Or should I wait till later in the year to go looking around for one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I gave up and bought the stupid Legion 5 Pro.
Only had it for a day, but here's some thoughts;

Apart from the lid logo, it's not very gamer-y which I appreciate. You can turn the lid logo glow off and I ordered a sticker to slap over it.
While robust, it's not actually a metal construction which I'd seen implied on previews.
It's not terribly heavy and the fans/noise levels are good.
You can't order the power brick separately so have fun lugging that thing around.
I haven't messed with all the settings yet but it looks like you have to go into the BIOS to switch between the iGPU and the dGPU. My understanding is that this improves performance?
Screen is good. Speakers are good but again not as amazing as the copy would have you believe. Keyboard is good. Trackpad seems mediocre but I'll almost never use it.
I appreciate that you can turn the lid logo on/off, change keyboard backlight modes, and switch between performance modes without installing any bullshit software.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 30, 2021