Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I upgraded to a 12 mini a few days ago and I pretty much have no cellular service indoors now. My X had 3 or 4 bars consistently, but I'm lucky to get even 1 with the 12. So it's wifi in the house or nothing at all.

What's the deal? Bad sim or something? I'm on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If that is true, then drat, they are being serious. That is definitely something to watch in the future to see how well it is implemented when major apps like Facebook try to find ways around it.

remember how facebook used a loop hole to have the microphone all the time because it was a 'voice recording' app?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Messenger also used to gate their version of "find my friends" behind grating location permission to "always", (for all I know they still do.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Laserface posted:

remember how facebook used a loop hole to have the microphone all the time because it was a 'voice recording' app?

no?

Despite popular myths, Facebook is not recording your conversations

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I vaguely recalled something about the iOS Facebook app having some weird behavior with playing silent audio instead of running the microphone and found the following to refresh my memory: https://techcrunch.com/2015/10/22/facebook-says-it-fixed-a-bug-that-caused-silent-audio-to-vampire-your-iphone-battery/

The most favorable read of that is the app had a bug which unintentionally kept it running in the background despite any user configuration. Based on the company’s history, I would suspect the “bug” was intentional.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FCKGW posted:

no?

I was thinking of the District of Thizz's link.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Laserface posted:

I was thinking of the District of Thizz's link.
Or maybe this one about the camera:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/12/facebook-app-secretly-using-camera/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I upgraded to a 12 mini a few days ago and I pretty much have no cellular service indoors now. My X had 3 or 4 bars consistently, but I'm lucky to get even 1 with the 12. So it's wifi in the house or nothing at all.

What's the deal? Bad sim or something? I'm on Verizon.

I think it is Verizon. I have had issues for the last year or so where my X shows 3 bars of LTE but if the wifi is out, then I cannot do anything besides making a phone call. It even combat send text messages half of the time if they include a picture.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

no?

Maybe not, but I decided long ago the Facebook app was not worth having on my phone so I deleted it and just use the web browser. Highly recommend, although I currently still have Facebook messenger as an app, so it probably still didn’t solve the issue.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Have to work from the office today and we wear masks at our desks. Unlock from watch is so nice!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

phosdex posted:

Have to work from the office today and we wear masks at our desks. Unlock from watch is so nice!

It's really a gamechanger, even though I've found it only works correctly like 80% of the time.

There are numerous times when it won't recognize my masked face and I still have to enter the code. And, confusingly, there are other times when I'm holding my phone in my hand not using it, and suddenly I'll get a notification on my watch "iPhone was unlocked by Apple Watch". Weird :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

no?

Yes, the app registered itself to iOS as an audio app, so it would stay active in memory when you went to another app. It was back on like iOS 3 or something like that before app-switching was a real thing.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Imagine giving Facebook any credit in 2021…

Just to chime in, my wife has an eSim in the US and loves it… but she just started and so has a pretty clear delineation of work and personal.
We thought it was pretty well done, actually. She can just pick which number she wants to use when starting a new message if she wants to override the default for the contact. But I’m sure there are edge cases and I’m not sure how iMessage works with it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's really a gamechanger, even though I've found it only works correctly like 80% of the time.

There are numerous times when it won't recognize my masked face and I still have to enter the code. And, confusingly, there are other times when I'm holding my phone in my hand not using it, and suddenly I'll get a notification on my watch "iPhone was unlocked by Apple Watch". Weird :shrug:
I feel like I actually get more false positives and almost no false negatives. It’s been very reliable for me unlocking the phone throughout the beta period even. But yeah, every now and then I’ll get a watch notification that my phone unlocked when I don’t even have a mask on and was not trying to unlock my phone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

14.5 is out

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HahHa I haven’t seen that in forever-whoops.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes, the app registered itself to iOS as an audio app, so it would stay active in memory when you went to another app. It was back on like iOS 3 or something like that before app-switching was a real thing.

Facebook also registered itself as a VOIP app so it could wake up and run in the background a lot
https://www.engadget.com/2019-08-06-ios-13-facebook-messenger-whatsapp-voip-changes.html

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

holy poo poo

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

but yeah, facebook isnt listening to your conversations. take their word for it!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I think it is Verizon. I have had issues for the last year or so where my X shows 3 bars of LTE but if the wifi is out, then I cannot do anything besides making a phone call. It even combat send text messages half of the time if they include a picture.

I kind of figured it was a Verizon issue. The 12 won't drop down to 3G or even 1x when I'm out of range of LTE or wifi, so I assume it just straight up loses service in that case.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, facebook absolutely does not need to listen to you to get the same info in a way that raises far fewer red flags to the end user.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I kind of figured it was a Verizon issue. The 12 won't drop down to 3G or even 1x when I'm out of range of LTE or wifi, so I assume it just straight up loses service in that case.

My dad has the same issue with Verizon. It’s sucks because he doesn’t even know when it’s happened.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, facebook absolutely does not need to listen to you to get the same info in a way that raises far fewer red flags to the end user.

They’ve been caught before so who’s to say it’s still not happening?

Either way, they ask for every device permission under the sun so that should tell you all you need to know.

Just another friendly reminder that most social media is horse poo poo and should be avoided.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m guessing it’s standard procedure to get a refurb as a replacement for a faulty phone (I don’t mean the loaner)?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rinkles posted:

I’m guessing it’s standard procedure to get a refurb as a replacement for a faulty phone (I don’t mean the loaner)?

Yes. Thankfully Apple refurbs are virtually identical to brand new units.

edit: Any trick to forcing AirPods to update? I can't get my Pros to grab the new firmware from yesterday.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 29, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Laserface posted:

but yeah, facebook isnt listening to your conversations. take their word for it!

No one said to take Facebooks word for it.

This stuff has been studied by many security researchers and it would be fairly trivial to detect due to the amount of network traffic required to achieve it, not to mention potentially running afoul of wiretapping laws. It just isn’t happening.

The scary part is that Facebook can get that type of hyper relevant ad tech without needing to tap your phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Didn’t expect the McDonalds app to get hit with the 14.5 tracking limitations

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If I use outlook.com/the outlook app for my calendar and want to share it with someone that uses gMail/the built in calendar is there a way to do that?

When I use the share options from Outlook.com it always wants them to log into Outlook.com

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

"Please give us permission to share your data to show you relevant ads about theMcDonalds's food you love" may be the most dystopian sentence it is possible to construct in the english language

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

"Please give us permission to share your data to show you relevant ads about theMcDonalds's food you love" may be the most dystopian sentence it is possible to construct in the english language

Data sharing has been automatically enabled to show you relevant ads about the McDonalds's food you love.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does this mcdonalds app only show ads for mcdonalds products? Or do they run ads for anyone that gives them money? Their menu is like 10 items, how much personalization could they really be doing?

Basically that screenshot has me asking a lot of questions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Does this mcdonalds app only show ads for mcdonalds products? Or do they run ads for anyone that gives them money? Their menu is like 10 items, how much personalization could they really be doing?

Basically that screenshot has me asking a lot of questions.

All of them can probably be answered by saying someone probably gives McDonalds tons of money for the data they can collect just by being McDonalds and now that someone upset.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

All of them can probably be answered by saying someone probably gives McDonalds tons of money for the data they can collect just by being McDonalds and now that someone upset.

Bingo. Not to mention the data regarding device location including BLE beacons inside the actual restaurant. The app page states that your name, email and device ID probably get shared with advertisers so there’s likely a huge network of companies bidding or getting that info.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait... so that's why apps ask for Bluetooth permission? Huh. I never approve it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait... so that's why apps ask for Bluetooth permission? Huh. I never approve it.

From my understanding, beacons only tell a device what action to do if one gets within range. I’m not sure what actions those are though and if they even require an app to initiate.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The watch unlock is pretty great. I went out of the house for the first time since the release and unlocked my phone in CVS and my watch buzzed for some reason and I realized it was working…

Only bummer (or maybe a positive) is that it is only phone unlock by watch, it is not FaceID by watch. So financial apps won’t unlock.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love this image so much. Why did he stand up? Why did he raise his arms? Why is the advertisement just a burger with absolutely nothing else on the screen?

What the gently caress lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

I love this image so much. Why did he stand up? Why did he raise his arms? Why is the advertisement just a burger with absolutely nothing else on the screen?

He's lovin' it!