Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Neurosis posted:

The soon-to-be-relased Kone Pro Air looks great for anyone who's not a fan of the standard Intellimouse/Zowie shape the overwhelming majority of ergo mice have. It's like the kone pure shape with a slightly less aggressive groove on the left - the super deep thumb hole was my only complaint with that shape. 76g, wireless. Ideally I'd like it to be a few g lighter but it looks pretty damned great.

Edit: There's a wired version which is 66g. I'll definitely be getting one of those - it's a bit cheaper too at $80 compared to the wireless' $130.

Well, are the LEDs under the buttons fully customizable RGB? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Is there anything special about the mechanical switches Steelseries uses on their mice?

My Deathadder died so I started using the Rival 110 I had been using with my work laptop and it is so much more satisfying to click than the deathadder.

For some reason the mouse input feels better in a way I can't exactly describe.

Does Steelseries make a bigger "arch" shaped mouse like the Logitech G500 or Deathadder that's any good?

This Rival 110 actually owns but the mouse itself is too small for it to be my "main mouse".

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is there anything special about the mechanical switches Steelseries uses on their mice?

My Deathadder died so I started using the Rival 110 I had been using with my work laptop and it is so much more satisfying to click than the deathadder.

Does Steelseries make a bigger "arch" shaped mouse like the Logitech G500 or Deathadder that's any good?

This Rival 110 actually owns but the mouse itself is too small for it to be my "main mouse".

I'm not super familiar with the Steelseries mice internals or ratings, but someone posted this mouse shape comparison tool a few pages back that's pretty neat for just getting a sense of how the mouse will look in 3d compared to another one. It doesn't have every mouse (like I don't see the G500, but it does have the G502 since it's newer and still being made). For example:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare/logitech-g502-hero-vs.-steelseries-rival-650?orientation=3D

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been using mine for over a year and a couple months ago the mouse wheel started acting up. It hasn't interfered greatly with my gaming yet but it gets bad sometimes when browsing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

Well, are the LEDs under the buttons fully customizable RGB? This is important.

Of course, although, if it's anything like the Kone Pure Ultra, one use of them at full brightness will burn out your retinas.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've been using mine for over a year and a couple months ago the mouse wheel started acting up. It hasn't interfered greatly with my gaming yet but it gets bad sometimes when browsing.

On the Rival 110 or the Deathadder?

Rexxed posted:

I'm not super familiar with the Steelseries mice internals or ratings, but someone posted this mouse shape comparison tool a few pages back that's pretty neat for just getting a sense of how the mouse will look in 3d compared to another one. It doesn't have every mouse (like I don't see the G500, but it does have the G502 since it's newer and still being made). For example:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare/logitech-g502-hero-vs.-steelseries-rival-650?orientation=3D

Thanks for posting this! I was thinking about that post and I'm glad you linked it bc I was having trouble locating it.

The G500 is ancient at this point but it was the best mouse I have ever owned bar none.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Thanks for posting this! I was thinking about that post and I'm glad you linked it bc I was having trouble locating it.

The G500 is ancient at this point but it was the best mouse I have ever owned bar none.

I have one too and mostly switched off of it for mice with better sensors (FPS gaming). I still use it on my second PC with the MX master on the third PC. So my daily mice are the G502, G500, and MX Master. I like them all for different things.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/n2mqko/my_model_o_popped_and_caught_on_fire/

:psyduck:

edit: the guy was probably lying

3peat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 2, 2021

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I like this guy's prorities:

quote:

zixx999
4 hours ago

What's the weight of it now tho? Might do a mod like this

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

64bit_Dophins posted:

rival 110

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did anyone manage to get one of the new finalmouse mice? Just launched, sold out already of course

Magnesium shell sounds pretty cool

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I've been super happy with my Viper Mini so far, it just fits my tiny hands so well. The one thing I miss from Logitech is the ability of set multiple profiles per one game, which was trivial on G Hub but is apparently impossible on Synapse. Is there any other way to do that (on Synapse or otherwise)? Basically for work I used to switch between two profiles on the same app, depending of the actions I needed to perform. Had to settle with just the basic macros because of Synapse, which slows me down on certain tasks.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 3, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anecdotal: I've been using a Steelseries Kana for over 8 years now and mechanically it's perfect. Only issue is the braid on the cable has frayed from where I kept pulling it against my old desk which had a rough back edge.

Having said that I am looking at replacing it, only because it's ambidextrous, and I never use the second side button because it's not comfortable to press it with my grip, so I'd like to get one with two side buttons for my thumb. Wired only, I don't like wireless input devices for my PC.

Neurosis posted:

The soon-to-be-relased Kone Pro Air looks great for anyone who's not a fan of the standard Intellimouse/Zowie shape the overwhelming majority of ergo mice have. It's like the kone pure shape with a slightly less aggressive groove on the left - the super deep thumb hole was my only complaint with that shape. 76g, wireless. Ideally I'd like it to be a few g lighter but it looks pretty damned great.

Edit: There's a wired version which is 66g. I'll definitely be getting one of those - it's a bit cheaper too at $80 compared to the wireless' $130.

This actually looks pretty interesting, anyone have any first hand experience with this? Or alternatives which are similar?

E: Just realised that one isnt actually out til next week.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 9, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
my g400s finally conked out, looking for something with similar ergonomics but maybe not so heavy, 80-90g, apparently the comparable Logitech models have some pretty bad reliability issues. Any recommendations for something low-mid range?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm just waiting on CoolerMaster to release their MM731 already.

Hurry up damnit, Q2 2021 is ending soon.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The razer salmosa I bought off of woot for $13 in 2009 finally died. What’s the closest thing I can get now?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is anyone else getting weird phantom clicks on twitter or is my G5 dying? I can't tell if it's only happening on twitter or twitter's just the only place where I make the right motions to cause it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's just twitter.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Not a Children posted:

The razer salmosa I bought off of woot for $13 in 2009 finally died. What’s the closest thing I can get now?

Amazon's suggesting these (although who knows what algorithm it's using to make the suggestion):

The latter two are the Razer Mini Ultralight:
https://smile.amazon.com/Razer-Viper-Ultralight-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B084RPZD6T/
And the Razer Mamba Elite:
https://smile.amazon.com/Razer-Mamba-Elite-Programmable-Ergonomic/dp/B07F816PH9/
I'm not a huge razer fan even though my Lachesis I got many years ago still works, I found the low and flat shape gave me tingly numb fingers but those seem like they might be similar to what you had.

If you have a general idea of the mouse shape you like this tool for mouse shape comparisons was linked in the thread recently. It won't have the Salmosa since it's an older mouse, but it has a lot of the new ones:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
$30 is an insane deal for a Viper Mini and it's hard to argue with as a cheap mouse with optical switches to avoid the switch failure plague.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject of mouse failure, I got ahead of my G602's lovely switches and swapped the Kailh 8.0s. Wasn't especially tricky and was good soldering practice. Also ordered a set of the Tiger gaming or whatever feet and they're nice. I'm actually going to have to get used to the lower friction. Should be set for this mouse for quite a while.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I'd probably get a Razer Viper Mini like that other poster recommended. There's very little that can go with that mouse, as long as you get one that doesn't have creaky/flimsy mouse buttons that some Vipers have (you can always RMA for a new one if yours turns out like that). The shape is a little different, but it's a very good one if you can get used to it. I like the original Razer Viper myself as a big hand semi-palmer though

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 16, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've got an old Logitech G5 that I like, but looking to switch to wireless. What would be the closet one to that style? Looking at pictures it would maybe be the G703 but I can't be sure. This would be used for general use and not-serious gaming.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Might not be relevant to the previous posters if they already picked something up, but I keep hearing nothing but good things about the Razer Orochi for a small, lightweight wireless mouse. Have not personally tried it, though.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/Razer-Orochi-V2/RZ01-03730100-R3U1

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I had the V1 of the Orochi and it was a decent mouse for myself but I never liked the Razer software and the mouse developed some of the switch misfiring nonsense quickly (serves me right for buying a used mouse, right?) so I wound up giving it to a coworker. Pulling the cover off to get access to the battery made me feel like I was going to break the whole assembly every time and while charging my G900 can be lame I've certainly used it for a lot longer than my Orochi.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Razer's big selling point is their optical switches anyway, so I wouldn't buy a mouse from them that doesn't have those.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
I honestly thought the new Orochi did have the optical switches, but I must have read the page wrong because it does say mechanical instead. Probably still not a bad mouse on sale (especially if it's ever equal or less than a G305) but not the steal I initially thought it was.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I’ve tried a few mice lately and I wanted to share my experiences. I was using a G502 Lightspeed with Corepads on an Odin Gaming Infinity Hybrid mousepad.

Razer Orochi V2 - good clicks (not their optical switches), good coating, good feet. Disliked the shape personally so it got sold. I think the price should be lower.

Xtrfy MZ1 / RJN mouse - initially I disliked the hump on the mouse but after a few days I adjusted. The coating, feet, and clicks are all top tier. The stock cable is very good. You don’t need to paracord it. I wish it was wireless and didn’t have holes.

Roccat Kone Pro Air - good shape. Feels close to the G502. The best stock feet on a mouse I’ve ever felt. I didn’t like the coating at all. Mouse 1/Mouse 2 clicks felt like something was crunching underneath. I didn’t like it. It felt broken. Also the Roccat Swarm software is dog poo poo and the mouse wouldn’t charge consistently. Returned.

Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury Edition - V2 optical switches, perfect clicks, feet are great but will get Corepads ASAP, side buttons recessed but still very good, side grips feel good, this is my new main. It’s that good. The coating is also the best.

I used to be in the “Razer is for poors, Logitech is king” but Razer is eating everyone’s lunch right now. My G Pro Superlight had wobbly mouse 1/2 buttons, lovely side buttons, and mouse1 started double clicking 1 week after I got it. Get your poo poo together Logitech.

I also realized I like a little weight to a mouse. 70-80g is good to me. Superlight mice feel cheap in a bad way.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 27, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Roccat Kone Pro Air - good shape. Feels close to the G502. The best stock feet on a mouse I’ve ever felt. I didn’t like the coating at all. Mouse 1/Mouse 2 clicks felt like something was crunching underneath. I didn’t like it. It felt broken. Also the Roccat Swarm software is dog poo poo and the mouse wouldn’t charge consistently. Returned.

FWIW, I ended up with a Kone AIMO and didn't end up with any of the problems here (though the Swarm software is unavoidable). I'm not a big fan of the side buttons, coming from a Corsair M95 and its wrapped 15 buttons (very nice), but everything else about it is a better feel. It is wired, though, which is a plus for me but I know is a minus for a lot of others.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm considering the Viper Ultimate but wondering, can you completely disable the LEDs when it's charging on the dock or is that hard-coded to always show the charge level?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The LED is, as all RGB, an obnoxious piece of poo poo that will turn itself back on randomly. Even when disabled it will turn itself when you lock your PC until it actually falls asleep.

I didn't get the dock, I just plug it in four an hour or two every 4 days or so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how useful are the thumb buttons on the non-thumb side (i get that they make the mouse ambidextrous)?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's going to depend extremely heavily on how you hold the mouse. To me they are completely useless as precision actions, I have to shift my grip to hit them. I have them bound to pageup/down which I always have on my mouse, and they work fine in a loose/shifting desktop grip. In games I use them for functions that are never needed while aiming.

Unfortunately Logitech seems to be the only manufacturer who understands that top edge buttons are good, and really no one seems to understand that symmetrical top buttons are good. Much rather have them than thumb buttons any day, since you don't have to compromise your grip to use them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

K8.0 posted:

Unfortunately Logitech seems to be the only manufacturer who understands that top edge buttons are good

yeah it's bizarre

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury Edition - V2 optical switches, perfect clicks, feet are great but will get Corepads ASAP, side buttons recessed but still very good, side grips feel good, this is my new main. It’s that good. The coating is also the best.

I don't know how anyone can stand using the recessed side buttons, personally.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm fine with side buttons, just put them where the thumb actually rests and not above it. You designed that thumb groove for a reason, you know exactly where my thumb wants to be, dammit.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

isndl posted:

I'm fine with side buttons, just put them where the thumb actually rests and not above it. You designed that thumb groove for a reason, you know exactly where my thumb wants to be, dammit.
Buttons where your thumb actually go mean you can't use your thumb to grip. The sniper button on the Corsair M65 ruins a perfectly good mouse for me.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I really like the stupidly named pwnage asym wireless mouse. I just want two more thumb buttons or an extra top button or two.

I especially like it because I set everything I wanted in the software once and then it saved it to the mouse and I haven't had to open the software in weeks.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any lightweight wireless mice with more than 2 side buttons or an extra button or two on the top (not counting dpi/wheel tilt)??

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I did it. I bought a $100 £60 mouse.

(excuse dusty keyboard)

I got the new Steelseries Rival 5, which has buttons I'll likely never use (whoever thought the weird toggle button on the edge above the side buttons was a good idea needs a stern talking to), but three side buttons which will be comfortable for me to use.

Also the LEDs are REALLY loving BRIGHT. I had to turn the side parts down to the lowest brightness and set the colour to 0,18,0 to get an acceptable level of light from them, which is a lot less IRL than the camera suggests.

Overall though it feels like a straight upgrade from my old Kana. Same nice click feel that Steelseries do well, a nice weight and shape.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

After having several attempts to find something that I won't hate after 30 minutes of use, I went with the Aerox 3 Wireless and I see why people love wireless gaming mice. I am not sure why most of the influencers hated this mice but none of the "issues" they say in their reviews are deal breakers. Like having to click a mouse button to wake it from sleep or the circle mouse feet it uses. The mouse is built solid, lightweight and paired up really quickly when I was setting it up. I had to low my mouse sensitivity because it is so light but it does not feel cheap/like a toy.

I did it. I bought a 130 Canadian dollar mouse and it is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My M1 on my G502 broke last night and instead of just going to target and spending $40 to have my now 3rd one in five years, is there a better mouse with the same form factor that is similarly sized? I need a relatively large mouse for my relatively large hands so that I don’t grip it weird and inflame my rsi

Extra programmable buttons in the thumb area are also a huge plus so I can melee and crouch and ptt

e; razer basilisk v2 is lookin just right

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 30, 2021