Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like there were a bunch of mystery box sci-fi shows for a while that managed to get audiences tired of their vagueness and twists before they even started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like there were a bunch of mystery box sci-fi shows for a while that managed to get audiences tired of their vagueness and twists before they even started.

everyone wanted that lost money

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Event was also about a new species of human coming back from the past or some poo poo. I don’t think it lasted long enough to get to what the titular event was supposed to be.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Journeyman with Kevin McKidd and Moon Bloodgood was the sci-fi show cancelled too soon for me. So promising and didn't make it past the first season.

Almost Human with Karl Urban was another very promising show that was probably just too expensive to continue.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

everyone wanted that lost money

Ironically Lost became successfully and was completed with less focus on the mystery than these other shows.

Sleepy Hollow on Fox was a hoot. The premise is based on the Founding Fathers being all being superscientists and occult warlocks creating a new country to stop demon worshippers from establishing a foothold on a new continent. However it declined heavily, cursed by screwing over Orlando Jones. This also happened to American Gods, by the way.

Fox also made a sequel series to Spielberg's Minority Report. Hilariously the premise is almost exactly like Sleepy Hollow: black woman cop enlists the help of a white civilian (one of the male tank psychics) who has inhuman knowledge after sleeping for a long time.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really enjoyed Almost Human, the Fox near future scifi android buddy cop show starring Karl Urban, and was pretty bummed it got canceled.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The MSJ posted:

Boom Blox was pretty great though, and Spielberg usually gets involved with games he gets attached to. Too bad his alien action game got cancelled.

I didn't know this until replaying it last year, but Speilberg wrote the story for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. He also made a video game about making movies to encourage kids to make movies. The bonkers part was the movie in the game was a short film directed by Spielberg, starring Quentin Tarantino.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Almost Human was great and kept hinting at even weirder poo poo to explore in the future, like why the city was walled off and what was still outside.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I didn't know this until replaying it last year, but Speilberg wrote the story for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. He also made a video game about making movies to encourage kids to make movies. The bonkers part was the movie in the game was a short film directed by Spielberg, starring Quentin Tarantino.

You can watch it here

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Almost Human was great and kept hinting at even weirder poo poo to explore in the future, like why the city was walled off and what was still outside.

We'll never know what the deal was with the giant red balls :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Best weird cancelled after one season tv series was Kings. Kings was very, very, very weird.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Kings was great. Very early awesome Sebastian Stan performance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a whole thing with shows (and other serialised media) that never get around to their plot payoffs either because the author is too busy setting up even more plots and/or doesn't actually know what the payoffs are going to be. Pretty much any kind of outside pressure (like executive fuckery, or a writer's strike) makes this a thousand times worse.

Ironically one of the worst examples of this in recent history has to be the Star Wars sequels, which you'd think would be the last franchise to have this kind of problem.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Still angry Awake was canceled after one season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Boom Blox was pretty great though, and Spielberg usually gets involved with games he gets attached to. Too bad his alien action game got cancelled.

Yeah I read that it really was his idea, like people expected him to do something with more story but he just figured out a good use for the Wii’s motion controls.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a whole thing with shows (and other serialised media) that never get around to their plot payoffs either because the author is too busy setting up even more plots and/or doesn't actually know what the payoffs are going to be. Pretty much any kind of outside pressure (like executive fuckery, or a writer's strike) makes this a thousand times worse.

Ironically one of the worst examples of this in recent history has to be the Star Wars sequels, which you'd think would be the last franchise to have this kind of problem.

Don't recall if I already mentioned it in this thread but my favorite example of this was The After, a pilot by none other than Chris Carter made for Amazon. The episode was about a bunch of jerks getting stuck in a hotel basement, going outside to see that the world has gone to hell then at the very end, they find a demon who says "Alea jacta est" and runs away. And once that was done, Carter had the balls to go to the Amazon execs and say "So, the big twist is that they're actually all in Hell. This is going to be my take on The Divine Comedy, so I want to do 99 episodes to match the number of Cantos. Each ep should cost around $4 million. Oh, and I will be making up everything up as I go along because I'm Chris loving Carter...wait, why are you leaving?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The United States posted:

I feel like out of all those cancelled shows, SAAB really ended with a cliffhanger that functioned well as a finale too. Almost everyone dies, and we find out that Earth was the aggressor, so they all deserve it really.

Farscape ended with the most hosed cliffhanger and it was great.

The miniseries really did a good job squaring that circle and giving us a fulfilling ending. It's probably the most satisifying ending to a sci show I can remember.

Anyone can think of any others?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Daybreak also ended well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This discussion reminded me of Carnivale, which me and my brother really enjoyed watching when I found it on DVD, but then we got bummed when we found out it was cancelled and never bothered finishing the episodes. I liked the idea of Clancy Brown's Priest being driven to madness by the Devil's influence and a series of terrible events pushing him to the brink while Carny!Jesus performs miracles by draining the life from things around him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The X-Files revival gets points for continuing the stupid pattern of ending every season on an impossible cliffhanger and not bothering to figure out a resolution until the first episode of the next season. It was very fitting that way, even if the new seasons were mostly bad.

There was a show called The Pretender that ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved but got two tv movies on TNT years later, and it stupidly wasted them setting up more mysteries and cliffhangers instead of using them to resolve anything. Maybe they were meant to be pilots for a potential second series on TNT and had to do that, but it seemed hugely wasteful of a completely unexpected opportunity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember with Eureka, as soon as the pilot aired, absolutely everyone guessed that the final scene of the show would be the mirror of the scene where Carter and Zoe drive past themselves going the other way. And it was the last scene. But I don't think the show even bothered to explain why exactly that scene happened - just showed it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's only one episode of The X Files I've never seen. Amusingly, it's the finale of the first revival season, which after ending on a cliffhanger was recapped (and retconned) by the next season's premiere, so I now don't need to watch it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

This discussion reminded me of Carnivale, which me and my brother really enjoyed watching when I found it on DVD, but then we got bummed when we found out it was cancelled and never bothered finishing the episodes. I liked the idea of Clancy Brown's Priest being driven to madness by the Devil's influence and a series of terrible events pushing him to the brink while Carny!Jesus performs miracles by draining the life from things around him.

Finish the episodes. Carnivale had 6 seasons planned to tell the full story, but each 2-season batch was going to have a different character and setting focus and were only thematically related. The third season was going to focus on Jonesy's baseball career, iirc. The story told in the first 2 seasons is self-contained and wonderful, and is absolutely worth finishing because it feels like a complete piece.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, what did they do?

Edit:
Also where is my favorite WoD character?

White Wolf sure was edgy...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

John Larroquette being introduced as a cross between Dan Fielding and J.F. Sebastian was pretty awesome and I really wanted to know why he escaped the city.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The X-Files revival gets points for continuing the stupid pattern of ending every season on an impossible cliffhanger and not bothering to figure out a resolution until the first episode of the next season. It was very fitting that way, even if the new seasons were mostly bad.

There was a show called The Pretender that ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved but got two tv movies on TNT years later, and it stupidly wasted them setting up more mysteries and cliffhangers instead of using them to resolve anything. Maybe they were meant to be pilots for a potential second series on TNT and had to do that, but it seemed hugely wasteful of a completely unexpected opportunity.

I think the first revival season did a good job of matching the real range of what you got out of the first 7ish seasons of the show; there was a miserable mythology episode, an okay Scully episode, a fantastic Darin Morgan MOTW episode, a fun but trashy MOTW episode, a real yikes-arooni mythology-ish episode, and another miserable mythology episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the first revival season did a good job of matching the real range of what you got out of the first 7ish seasons of the show; there was a miserable mythology episode, an okay Scully episode, a fantastic Darin Morgan MOTW episode, a fun but trashy MOTW episode, a real yikes-arooni mythology-ish episode, and another miserable mythology episode.

What was the non-miserable mythology episode in the first revival season?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Payndz posted:

There's only one episode of The X Files I've never seen. Amusingly, it's the finale of the first revival season, which after ending on a cliffhanger was recapped (and retconned) by the next season's premiere, so I now don't need to watch it.

That was the last one I saw, and it really felt like Chris Carter’s outline for X-Files The Movie 3, compressed into 45 minutes. Sounds like I should be glad I didn’t come back for the next season.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was the non-miserable mythology episode in the first revival season?

The second to last one, it was bad but not on the level of the first and last episodes. It was real yikesy though!

edit it also had the Mulder shrooms sequence

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shageletic posted:

Farscape ended with the most hosed cliffhanger and it was great.

The miniseries really did a good job squaring that circle and giving us a fulfilling ending. It's probably the most satisifying ending to a sci show I can remember.

Anyone can think of any others?

Berman and Braga had said they weren't sure if Enterprise was going to get a fourth season when they made the cliffhanger Captain Archer kamikazeing himself at Time Traveling Aliens that joined the Actual Nazis. And honestly having the be the ending of the series would've been better than the actual series finale.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The MSJ posted:

Sleepy Hollow on Fox was a hoot. The premise is based on the Founding Fathers being all being superscientists and occult warlocks creating a new country to stop demon worshippers from establishing a foothold on a new continent. However it declined heavily, cursed by screwing over Orlando Jones. This also happened to American Gods, by the way.

Sleepy Hollow was one of my favorite shows the first season, they had a crazy world lore and would just get more bonkers each episode, and plenty of awesome recurring roles (most of which were African-American actors due to 2 of the 4 leads being black), including Abbie's sister who is basically T2 Sarah Conner who fights demons. But then they stopped doing anything with Orlando Jones (why???) and dropped his whole family, boosted some terrible new supporting characters instead, alienated their very large black fan base, and then gave Nicole Beharie such terrible stories that she asked to leave the show. As most of the of the show that was left was her and Tom Mison's chemistry they had successfully murdered the show which somehow still stumbled through one more season

duz posted:

Berman and Braga had said they weren't sure if Enterprise was going to get a fourth season when they made the cliffhanger Captain Archer kamikazeing himself at Time Traveling Aliens that joined the Actual Nazis. And honestly having the be the ending of the series would've been better than the actual series finale.

Enterprise being terrible until season 4 is one of the things one of the modern Trek series could easily fix with a six episode arc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't remember much about Sleepy Hollow other than it having a promising few early episodes then falling completely off a cliff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't remember much about Sleepy Hollow other than it having a promising few early episodes then falling completely off a cliff.

My memory is that the whole first season was excellent pretty much from start to finish. It was the second season where it fell of the cliff. And not right away, like halfway through the 2nd season.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'll back that up. Hell, I tell people to watch Sleepy Hollow as a one season miniseries because that final arc is so good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Can we turn it around and talk about terrible shows that were bad right away and rightfully died immediately?

I want to talk about Do No Harm, the medical drama from NBC's 2013 lineup that was also an update of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It was about a brilliant surgeon who had an evil alternate personality that wanted to kill patients and ruin the main guy's life. It starred Steven Pasquale from Rescue Me, Phylicia Rashad from The Cosby Show, Samm Levine from Freaks and Geeks and Inglourious Basterds, and Lin-Manuel Miranda???? It was dreadful and NBC mercifully killed it after only 2 miserable episodes. The reception was so bad Samm Levine gave a radio interview before the second episode aired in which he threatened suicide.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that, but Netflix has lots of examples of shows that suffer from having too much creative freedom. So many of them feel sort of blah, and I think its because the creator is just allowed to do whatever they want, and nobody tells them that something isn't working.

Remember, you usually only hear about the bad examples of executive meddling.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Paul Reiser Show immediately jumps to mind. Another NBC show canceled after two episodes. I remember Reiser going on some rants at the time about how audiences didn't appreciate good humor any more which I'm sure today would have been a diatribe about safe spaces or whatever.

Looking it up now, Helen Hunt also directed an episode.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think because of their whole model they don't really actually care whether something is good, they only care about whether it gets people to either decide not unsub for one more month or maybe get a handful of people to subscribe. Getting attention is what they want, and they do that by making things very attractive to content creators. Guaranteed creative freedom, no censors, no need to fit strictly within a 22 or 44 minute slot, guaranteed 2 seasons.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'll back that up. Hell, I tell people to watch Sleepy Hollow as a one season miniseries because that final arc is so good.

Ah, the Millennium cut.

Speaking of, I really wish they had ended that show on the second season finale. There's so much totality with that ending, that it's thrown away on a weaker third season that gets rid of many of the series favorites, like CCH Pounder, and while it has some good episodes in the third season despite the change in format, it's not really enough to save it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i think there's been at least one of these on the major networks (almost) every season since Lost premiered. very few have lasted more than one season

Baron von Eevl posted:

Can we turn it around and talk about terrible shows that were bad right away and rightfully died immediately?

I want to talk about Do No Harm, the medical drama from NBC's 2013 lineup that was also an update of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It was about a brilliant surgeon who had an evil alternate personality that wanted to kill patients and ruin the main guy's life. It starred Steven Pasquale from Rescue Me, Phylicia Rashad from The Cosby Show, Samm Levine from Freaks and Geeks and Inglourious Basterds, and Lin-Manuel Miranda???? It was dreadful and NBC mercifully killed it after only 2 miserable episodes. The reception was so bad Samm Levine gave a radio interview before the second episode aired in which he threatened suicide.
how could anyone forget Dr. Facehands

meanwhile David Cronenberg is returning to sci-fi and i am very hyped

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1387810888317509633

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

Kings was great. Very early awesome Sebastian Stan performance.

Kings had the problem of absolutely terrible advertising that didn't actually address what the premise of the show was (a retelling of the story of King David) and instead kept pushing it as an alternate history thing about "What if America had a king?" when that had nothing to do with anything since it was set in a fictional country.

Basebf555 posted:

My memory is that the whole first season was excellent pretty much from start to finish. It was the second season where it fell of the cliff. And not right away, like halfway through the 2nd season.

Season 2 was messy but still had all the regular characters around. Season 3 was a complete garbage heap where they ditched the basic premise of the show (that the main characters are trying to stop the Biblical apocalypse) and turned it into some generic fantasy crap involving ancient gods. Season 4 was a soft reboot where they actually moved Ichabod away from Sleepy Hollow to Washington DC and introduced a whole new cast.