Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Ultraviolet remains one of my main go-to's when I am revisiting old eps because I honestly still love hearing them be so confused and so utterly lost for the length of an entire episode.

I was just gonna mention this one. Some of the best episodes are where they try to do anything BUT talk about the movie because of how incoherent it is.

PS I Love Yeeeeeeeeeeee is a great one too, so is I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry. And of course the oft mentioned Never Say Never Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Highlander 2 and 3 are all time classics. When they come up with the lambert punchcard

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pops Mgee posted:

I think Jupin already said it’s a likely candidate. Probably like Venom a few years back, not technically the worst movie but will make a fun episode.

Yeah, Jupin all but straight up said on Twitter that it would be covered in the worst of 2021. Which I don’t think is fair, but it’s not an objective mark of (lack of) quality or anything.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Highlander 2 and 3 are all time classics. When they come up with the lambert punchcard

Fukkin A right. Those two plus Mortal Kombat are all time favs of mine. Just can't get enough of that lecherous Lambert laugh.

I also like the Easy Rider 2 ep just because Eric hated that movie so much he just spit venom for 90 odd minutes.

Speaking of Eric new hooked on tj hooker just dropped!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm going to throw Space Jam on the pile if only for the earnest discussion of what a Looney Tunes basketball team SHOULD look like.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

Angel has fallen is still the best episode they’ve done in the last couple years. The president nerd bit plus Nick Nolte’s skeleton wife haven’t been touched.

President Nerd and President Hotdog (Pixels) remain a couple of my favorite bits. God, I have so many favorite bits.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm going to predict that Mortal Kombat will be on their worst of 2021 list.

This is one of those movies where I have to keep Eric Szyszka's immortal words in my head: "It's okay to like a movie."

Because I liked this movie. It was fun and stupid and I didn't have to think about it much. Also, there are individual performances (Josh Lawson, for one) that are loving incredible.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 29, 2021

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If you watch Mortal Kombat without having quite a bit of knowledge of who these characters already are from the games, the movie is basically incomprehensible and just throws bad actor after bad actor at you. It was like the movie wanted to use as many characters as the later Avengers movies without ever having any of the movies that introduced the characters and as a result is just limp and ineffective. But at least it had everyone favorite Mortal Kombat character...Cole. Who wasn't in the games and whose only fighting ability is to get the poo poo beat out of him. And then he gets armor so he can get the poo poo beat out of him but MORE.
The only good parts were the beginning, the idea of Sub-Zero as a Michael Myers type of stalker, and Kano being the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

What I am saying is I look forward to the WHM episode of this very bad movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So I guess next week's main feed episode is Stargate, and the WLM for next month is Escape From New York, so are we looking at a #russelrulez month?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

enigmahfc posted:

If you watch Mortal Kombat without having quite a bit of knowledge of who these characters already are from the games, the movie is basically incomprehensible and just throws bad actor after bad actor at you. It was like the movie wanted to use as many characters as the later Avengers movies without ever having any of the movies that introduced the characters and as a result is just limp and ineffective. But at least it had everyone favorite Mortal Kombat character...Cole. Who wasn't in the games and whose only fighting ability is to get the poo poo beat out of him. And then he gets armor so he can get the poo poo beat out of him but MORE.
The only good parts were the beginning, the idea of Sub-Zero as a Michael Myers type of stalker, and Kano being the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

What I am saying is I look forward to the WHM episode of this very bad movie.

I didn't have a problem with not knowing* who the fighters were, I did have a problem with them never getting to the actual tournament they kept talking about. They really shouldn't have played up how important the tournament is if they were never going to actually get to it.

* I knew the ones that were in the previous movies.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I did not like the new Mortal Kombat. The dumb violence was spaced out with lots of scenes where the characters are kinda just doing nothing. The decision to have the lead be an entirely new character was baffling to me.

The only people going to see this are likely fans of the franchise and instead of watching a character they like being the lead its....some guy and his family.

The director said the decision was made so audiences had a regular person to identify with, but why? It's Mortal Kombat, just have the lead be one of the characters we're familiar with and make them the fish out of water.

Oh, and the score was bland as hell. I was expecting some energizing electronic music but it was basically temp music.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got pretty much exactly what I wanted out of the Mortal Kombat movie. It was dumb as hell with pretty entertaining fight scenes and some fun gore, and it was the right length.

The very last thing it needed to do was waste time explaining that Reptile was from a planet of reptiles and orphaned as a small reptile so he learned kung fu.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If anyone tells you that the new MK has 'everything' and/or better than the 1995 one, this is the only rebuttal you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivR_YHTkwgQ

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

graventy posted:

The very last thing it needed to do was waste time explaining that Reptile was from a planet of reptiles and orphaned as a small reptile so he learned kung fu.

So why did they do exactly that except for the much more boring character Cole, I would have much preferred watching the lizard version

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ror posted:

If anyone tells you that the new MK has 'everything' and/or better than the 1995 one, this is the only rebuttal you need.

:hmmyes:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

So why did they do exactly that except for the much more boring character Cole, I would have much preferred watching the lizard version

Oh, I won't defend Cole, particularly when they could just has easily have made any of the MK characters the main guy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

graventy posted:

Oh, I won't defend Cole, particularly when they could just has easily have made any of the MK characters the main guy.

It probably should have been Johnny Cage tbh, especially given that they went with that whole "find your power" thing.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

President Nerd and President Hotdog (Pixels) remain a couple of my favorite bits. God, I have so many favorite bits.

This is one of those movies where I have to keep Eric Szyszka's immortal words in my head: "It's okay to like a movie."

Yeah I enjoyed Venom but absolutely loved their episode of it. "logan paul innocently dabbing in the suicide forest" is an all time great line. Plus all the Alex Jones jokes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ror posted:

nah, barring the song, the 90's flick sucks donkey shlong.

Elderbean posted:

I did not like the new Mortal Kombat. The dumb violence was spaced out with lots of scenes where the characters are kinda just doing nothing. The decision to have the lead be an entirely new character was baffling to me.

The only people going to see this are likely fans of the franchise and instead of watching a character they like being the lead its....some guy and his family.

The director said the decision was made so audiences had a regular person to identify with, but why? It's Mortal Kombat, just have the lead be one of the characters we're familiar with and make them the fish out of water.

Oh, and the score was bland as hell. I was expecting some energizing electronic music but it was basically temp music.

https://screenrant.com/mortal-kombat-godzilla-vs-kong-hbo-max-viewership/

MK did markedly better than GvK. I dont think it was just fans of the series and video game nerds watching this one. The audience surrogate works for what they needed it to do, its just a shame the script was just shoddy enough that it gave Lewis Tan nothing to do and Kano ate everyone elses lunch. the general viewing public (and not just the nerd crowd) is basically gobbling up any content they can at this point because there's been such a dearth of new stuff to watch and listen to. the MK movie works for what it needed to be which was get me to the next action sequence and make it gory.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The CGI blood in the new MK is original movie Reptile levels bad. Meanwhile puppet Goro looks infinitely better than this cartoon gleepglop. And good lord the script which wouldnt be salvageable even without Johnny Sue farting around.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The CGI in MK was bad but nowhere near as bad as Puppet Goro. I guess puppet Goro had the fact that it was a practical effect going for it but it looked laughably bad.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah I enjoyed Venom but absolutely loved their episode of it. "logan paul innocently dabbing in the suicide forest" is an all time great line. Plus all the Alex Jones jokes.

"Has anyone seen my kids?"

I die every time they start doing an Alex Jones bit.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I would have liked it more with an actual character as the lead, because you could still easily have one of them appeal to regular audiences. Fantasy blew up in the last decade, so it's not like people are going to have a hard time accepting a man with robot arms or a character that can shoot lazers.

Not going to defend the original film though. I guess I was expecting more from this one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CG Goro > Puppet Goro

that puppet one was genuinely bad and distressing to look at watching it in 1995. it looked like the miniature they built to capture it for sequencing in the game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

CG Goro > Puppet Goro

that puppet one was genuinely bad and distressing to look at watching it in 1995. it looked like the miniature they built to capture it for sequencing in the game.

Still better than the janky-as-hell Kaijus in MK:Annihilation though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

The CGI blood in the new MK is original movie Reptile levels bad.

Now now, let's not say things we can't take back.

This looked laughably bad in 1995. Worse than Roger Rabbit, in a movie that gave you no reason to have an animated character in it (which Roger Rabbit did). CGI blood is...odd, but fine. Especially when Sub-Zero makes a blood knife out of it.

(Please don't read this as me saying that Roger Rabbit looked bad. Just that Roger Rabbit was clearly a cartoon. As was Reptile. But Roger Rabbit had a reason to be a cartoon. Reptile was ridiculous.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 29, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Angry_Ed posted:

Still better than the janky-as-hell Kaijus in MK:Annihilation though

yeaaaah, I try to forget about Annihilation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! I SAW IT HAPPEN!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I was actually fine with the cgi blood, it looked like it was out of a videogame, in a videogame movie.

My biggest problems were the aforementioned lead being a new character, some of the scenes between fights, and the score.

Also, the hardest I've laughed at something before greening out was in MK: Annihilation. The scene were they get into those dumb gyro balls. Something about those stupid balls zooming through tunnels being a form of transportation killed me. I'm not eager to revisit that movie though.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 29, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Elderbean posted:

I was actually fine with the cgi blood, it looked like it was out of a videogame, in a videogame movie.

My biggest problems were the aforementioned lead being a new character, some of the scenes between fights, and the score.

Oh for sure. The new character was boring, and the middle of the movie dragged like crazy. The 1 hour mark, a point where a movie should absolutely be grabbing you, I was checking my phone for what time it was. The best scenes of the movie, by far, were the first and last fights. But Kano was entertaining enough to carry everything in between, for me. Then again, finding out that the actor who played Kano improv'd most of his one liners made me realize that they almost had a complete bomb on their hands. Because, to me, without Kano, this movie wouldn't have worked at all, for me. So I hope they recognize that, and use some of that energy for the inevitable sequel. Bring Kano back, some how, because gently caress it, and use Johnny Cage in a similar way.

Make good choices, WB.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Did they seriously call the lead guy Cole and not Kole?

He doesn't get Cage privileges.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

thrawn527 posted:

DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! I SAW IT HAPPEN!

it'll be alright, it can never hurt you again.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

dorium posted:

Now Devin, you’re just sayin’ that because I’m datin’ your m.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MK:A being so lazy they use the same death shot for two completely different looking characters and do nothing to try and hide it rules.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Also, who can forget "Come on down to the Gettin' Place!"

I heard the phrase Gettin Place in an audiobook a few weeks back and nearly lost it. The book was a tawdry thriller drama.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Gah gently caress I guess I'm listening to the mortal kombat episode again!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arson Daily posted:

Gah gently caress I guess I'm listening to the mortal kombat episode again!

"I'll bring you the code tomorrow, Art. Eh-hehehehe"

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It's tail time

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Escape From New York is gonna own:

1. It's great
2. I've seen it several times so I'll get all the jokes
3. There's tons of over the top poo poo, plot holes, camp and scenery chewing to make fun of
4. Did I mention it's loving great?

I don't give a gently caress about Mortal Kombat. The games or the movie(s).

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Random bit question, what is the episode where the buddy brigade shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Random bit question, what is the episode where the buddy brigade shows up.

I think that was Prince of Persia (ep. 408)