Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bisse posted:

W-wait, people here like Batman v Superman? Like, for real?

Wait? I can't wait, I have to re-watch Batman v Superman, right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's the finest superhero movie there is, OP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched it, so definitely not

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol WB re-released the Josstice League trailer and Zack isn’t too pleased

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bisse posted:

Imagine having such bad taste you dislike BvS

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bisse posted:

Nothing’s finer than watching the latest Zack Snyder

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Listen... how do we make people forget our tremendously stupid billion-dollar gently caress-up?

Maybe we should just not mention it?

No, wait. There is another way... let's remind everyone of just what kind of morons we are here at WB!

Power move to rep the sex pest when literally everyone else is running from him as fast as they can.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Hey everyone! You know that movie you like? Well, don't forget about the worse version we released a few years back! The version that's now known to have been thrown together in six months by a replacement director who abused the cast! Why not give it a watch?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is worse than the time Obama drank a bottle of Hobgoblin chilled.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 29, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

That's ok, if the flavor is too strong you can stick to your budweiser light
It's the closest thing to Grannys peach tea :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

That's ok, if the flavor is too strong you can stick to your budweiser light
It's the closest thing to Grannys peach tea :smug:

Hey now, there's no need to escalate things like that

No one should drink bud light

josh04 posted:

This is worse than the time Obama drank a bottle of Hobgoblin chilled.

lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Apollo posted:

So is there like one single WB exec that is just determined to make people think Josstice League was the right choice or like

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

So is there like one single WB exec that is just determined to make people think Josstice League was the right choice or like

I feel like this absolutely has to be personal, they just re-released a trailer from a 3ish year-old movie that they themselves considered a horribly embarrassing flop.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I would not be surprised if someone from WB got really sore about his "Army of the Dead's release will be the snyder cut" hype. It's one thing to have the version of the film without exec meddling be received better, its another for the director to rub it in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think i've had that hobgoblin beer once. It was alright but they only sell it in giant bottles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm guessing they don't care too much but they're going to ride the wave and see who they can get to buy the 4k release of that

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Bisse posted:

Whats not to like?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Neurolimal posted:

I would not be surprised if someone from WB got really sore about his "Army of the Dead's release will be the snyder cut" hype. It's one thing to have the version of the film without exec meddling be received better, its another for the director to rub it in.
WB sold the rights for Army of the Dead to Netflix because WB didn’t think it would amount to anything.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm guessing they don't care too much but they're going to ride the wave and see who they can get to buy the 4k release of that

WB Asylum-ing their own product.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Joker made a billion dollars that WB saw little of because they didn't think it would amount to much.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They also mandated the worst parts of Mortal Kombat, so evidently WB execs should just start doing the opposite of whatever idea they get.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Whats not to like?

they really skimped on the egg props when Clark is cooking. I've never seen a faker looking egg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Superman cook the eggs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
WB's ongoing incompetence is one of the funniest bits of current Hollywood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
WB and Disney are two perfect sides of the coin demonstrating why the last thing you want is a corporation to pretend to be your buddy.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
gently caress WB for making me envy Disney's hyper-competence when it comes to managing superhero franchises

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

2house2fly posted:

It's the finest superhero movie there is, OP.

You could say, the world's finest.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

WB's ongoing incompetence is one of the funniest bits of current Hollywood.
I'd say WB is normal for a film studio. What Marvel Studios has accomplished with the MCU is rather extraordinary for Hollywood. 25 movies in a row and they've all been decent if not excellent; at least, none of them have been outright terrible. I don't think any studio in history has pulled something like this off. The closest thing might be the Harry Potter movies, which were made by WB. It's just that it's really hard to do good movies. Making movies isn't like making cars, it's tough to figure out a formula that will reliably put out quality.

Remember that before the MCU, most superhero movies sucked. For every 1978 Superman, there were three crap movies like Batman and Robin or Catwoman. Nobody had a reliable pipeline.

WB clearly wants to replicate the Marvel Studios model but I imagine corporate politics are getting in the way. You have ambitious self-interested executives, producers, and directors sabotaging (deliberately or otherwise) any attempt to build a pipeline that resembles Marvel Studios.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Kurzon posted:

25 movies in a row and they've all been decent if not excellent; at least, none of them have been outright terrible.

Lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

so what, between 1970 and 1980, shaw studios put out 280+ kung fu films that are literally all better than the mcu films.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

so what, between 1970 and 1980, shaw studios put out 280+ kung fu films that are literally all better than the mcu films.

But, have they been able to create as delicate a network as the one that links Ant-Man 1: Ant-Man to Spider-Man 2: Far from Home?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think it's that ridiculous. The worst Marvel movies are just bland and boring rather than outright bad. But imo that's a worse crime than making complete stinkers. At least films like Catwoman are interesting in a what the gently caress kind of way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Equeen posted:

gently caress WB for making me envy Disney's hyper-competence when it comes to managing superhero franchises

Hyper-competent at rolling out blandroid populist cinematic cotton candy, I suppose.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think it's that ridiculous. The worst Marvel movies are just bland and boring rather than outright bad. But imo that's a worse crime than making complete stinkers. At least films like Catwoman are interesting in a what the gently caress kind of way.

Perhaps 'bland and boring' is a type of badness in itself? If a trainwreck like WW84 is more fun to watch than Marvel's The Avengers Neoliberalism Man 4, in what way is it a worse film?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

multijoe posted:

Perhaps 'bland and boring' is a type of badness in itself? If a trainwreck like WW84 is more fun to watch than Marvel's The Avengers Neoliberalism Man 4, in what way is it a worse film?

I guess it depends on whether you're looking at it from the perspective of a 'regular' moviegoer or from that of a debased window-licking sicko who gets off on seeing studios spend millions of dollars erasing CGI cat assholes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Fwiw WW84 is extremely liberal, and in a more hollow and clumsy way than any Marvel film (except probably Iron Man 2)

The climax of the film involves WW pleading with the world that better things arent possible

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Kurzon posted:

I'd say WB is normal for a film studio. What Marvel Studios has accomplished with the MCU is rather extraordinary for Hollywood. 25 movies in a row and they've all been decent if not excellent; at least, none of them have been outright terrible. I don't think any studio in history has pulled something like this off. The closest thing might be the Harry Potter movies, which were made by WB. It's just that it's really hard to do good movies. Making movies isn't like making cars, it's tough to figure out a formula that will reliably put out quality.

Remember that before the MCU, most superhero movies sucked. For every 1978 Superman, there were three crap movies like Batman and Robin or Catwoman. Nobody had a reliable pipeline.

WB clearly wants to replicate the Marvel Studios model but I imagine corporate politics are getting in the way. You have ambitious self-interested executives, producers, and directors sabotaging (deliberately or otherwise) any attempt to build a pipeline that resembles Marvel Studios.

the marvel approach was similar to that of mcdonalds; consistency of quality is what is important according to this strategy, rather than quality per se. when people praised a marvel movie for "living up to expectations, that's what they meant. it took me a long time to understand it since they seemed so unexcited about this but considered it praise at the same time. but it makes sense if you understand that they wanted predictability and familiarity. possibly just as something their friends could all agree upon seeing and enjoying and soforth.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Neurolimal posted:

Fwiw WW84 is extremely liberal, and in a more hollow and clumsy way than any Marvel film (except probably Iron Man 2)

The climax of the film involves WW pleading with the world that better things arent possible

the films leave out the part where if the little girls don't want to be her, she tells them to go toil and die in poverty

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Batman & Robin is better than every MCU movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not saying it isn't, but it was done in such an inept and downright weird way that it's a fun experience to watch and at the very least you can tell it was directed by a human being who was at least trying to communicate something through the film, which is more than you can say about some other comicbook film series 'pipelines'