Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
F&WS and Wandavision both suffer from the same problem of having less to do in 8ish hours than a standard 2 hour movie.

I guess audiences ate it up but Im pretty baffled by just how much it seems like they struggled to copy the MCU formula to a TV format and it ended up being just tons of filler to hit some obvious beat to carry over to the movies.

Both of those stories would have been much better served as single movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I skimmed a little of the show last night and it was somehow even more hamfisted than I expected. The exchange between fake Cap and the main Flagsmasher girl where she tells him that she didn't mean to kill his friend because she only kills people that matter (i.e. the elites who make the decisions) and his response is "you think [insert Black sidekick's name here] life didn't matter?!" was particularly cringey.

All of the MCU stuff that tries to talk about race has been like this so I'm not sure why anyone would find it to be poignant or somehow insightful.

That seems like the absolute worst possible way to do it even not considering the timing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Fake Cap is supposed to be cringe as poo poo to be fair, like he's too white for Bucky, and jazz is basically extreme death metal for Bucky.

e: Slightly more seriously, John Walker's superpower in this show is basically misreading interpersonal situations and making terrible snap decisions under pressure, over and over, without reflecting on how maybe he should stop doing that poo poo.

The show is almost smart here, because it sets him up by highlighting how he's a war hero in Afghanistan, which is a neverending fuckup we seem incapable of learning from and just try to fix with even more violence, which is basically his character to a T. He even kind of puts a bow on it by saying at one point how he keeps getting medals that just remind him of his friends getting killed, to his sidekick, who later gets killed.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 25, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's basically just a cop. A killer cop who says 'black lives matter'.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I have little investment on Aquafina, but Hell Yeah let’s get black and Asian people to fight eachother for our amusement.

Check out this take: Wu Tang Clan is cultural appropriation. They aren’t Chinese!

Weren't they drafted by the Chinese or at least Asians in general?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's basically just a cop. A killer cop who says 'black lives matter'.

Figures that there are no real consequences for him after murdering a dude in broad daylight in front of a crowd.

That said he was easily the most interesting thing in the show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Laughing Zealot posted:

Figures that there are no real consequences for him after murdering a dude in broad daylight in front of a crowd.

That said he was easily the most interesting thing in the show.

The "consequence" is that he is duped into becoming a villain in a later show by someone who should be wearing a red flashing light labelled "Definitely evil" on their head at all times.

That boy ain't too bright.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "consequence" is that he is duped into becoming a villain in a later show by someone who should be wearing a red flashing light labelled "Definitely evil" on their head at all times.

That boy ain't too bright.

Right, it's not a criticism of the show that US Agent is a walking disaster of Bad American War/Cop poo poo because that's like the whole point, the explicit text of the show is that he's a dangerous human disaster area.

The show does a lot of dumb poo poo but US Agent is kind of on point.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I'm glad the US Agent bit is bearing some fruit.

Captain America represents America's potential.
US Agent represents America's actions.

Cap has always been a funny character to me (along with golden age Superman) because when they were at their most morally just, it was during some of the worst periods in America for everyone but straight white dudes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1387423868160196619?s=21
https://twitter.com/minovskyarticle/status/1387452550157410308?s=21

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1387525336414359554
https://twitter.com/chicklitwrites/status/1387532249730621453

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

there might be shittier comic book movies than captain marvel but that one in particular is the absolute nadir of "eating literal poo poo to win points in the culture war" tendencies

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Flash, easy.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Batman, he's had more than enough spotlight and reboots and reimaginings to last a few decades.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MonsieurChoc posted:

Flash, easy.

This, 100%

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You'd think Feige would have the clout by now to just do whatever instead of just trying to convince the dark shadow lords of Disney to do basic stuff

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Didn't Shuri's actress turn out to be a chud? With that and Boseman gone, I'd say BP2.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The correct answer is all of them but yeah both because of actors and the lack of story hooks there is literally nothing to do with BP2 unless they ressurect and rehabilitate Killmonger somehow

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd think Feige would have the clout by now to just do whatever instead of just trying to convince the dark shadow lords of Disney to do basic stuff

He has. This is just their newest marketing gimmick that they can boost by Zhao's Oscar wins. "See people, we have a true legitimate filmmaker on board and she wants to use real settings like a cinema professional! This has never been done before!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I bet they delayed the Eternals trailer just to see if Zhao wins Best Director so they can mention it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

not trolled not crying posted:

He has. This is just their newest marketing gimmick that they can boost by Zhao's Oscar wins. "See people, we have a true legitimate filmmaker on board and she wants to use real settings like a cinema professional! This has never been done before!"

Yeah, it's the Star Wars sequels all over.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yeah, it's hard not to read that quote as anything but extremely cynical rube-baiting to try to reinvigorate MCU fans who are tiring of the normal formula.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's hard not to read that quote as anything but extremely cynical rube-baiting to try to reinvigorate MCU fans who are tiring of the normal formula.

Are rubes actually tiring of the MCU formula? Seems more targeted at the Team Scorsese crowd.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Grendels Dad posted:

Didn't Shuri's actress turn out to be a chud? With that and Boseman gone, I'd say BP2.

I think she's just weirdly religious and/or also anti-vaxx? If Marvel hasn't cut Pratt for his similar bullshit (in addition to having a brother who is an outright right wing chud) then she'll probably be fine until her contact is up.

There were some rumblings about the dreamboat guy from bridgerton(?) getting some looks for BP2 but whoever they go with is going to be in an unenviable position.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pratt is a way bigger star than Shuri which should be added to the equation.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think she's just weirdly religious and/or also anti-vaxx? If Marvel hasn't cut Pratt for his similar bullshit (in addition to having a brother who is an outright right wing chud) then she'll probably be fine until her contact is up.
Yeah I think she retweeted a video that talked about how the COVID vaccines were literally codeveloped by Satan and they were designed to make everyone gay.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah I think she retweeted a video that talked about how the COVID vaccines were literally codeveloped by Satan and they were designed to make everyone gay.

Are those supposed to be bad things? As a straight male I wouldn't mind being to watch Endgame and appreciate America's rear end a little more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Pratt is a way bigger star than Shuri which should be added to the equation.

Pratt is also a lot better at staying relatively quiet about his views, as far as I've heard.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MonsieurChoc posted:

Flash, easy.

I'm cringing in anticipation of the inevitable studio-approved Snyderverse joke in that one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

yeah she retweeted a video from a religious speaker about the vaccines containing luciferase, which from my understanding, they dont use that ingredient, but even if it was used, lol. Then defended the pushback as "just asking questions" or something really stupid.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They probably had that whole exchange scripted back when they tried to get lucrezia Martel and it’s been burning a hole in their pockets ever since

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Captain marvel was the usual hollow marvel slop with a side order of military propaganda so that would be my choice

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't really think people need to be fired because they believe in conspiracies or whatever

As long as it's not outrigh hateful speech they can keep pretending to be punchmen on screen imo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I don't really think people need to be fired because they believe in conspiracies or whatever

As long as it's not outrigh hateful speech they can keep pretending to be punchmen on screen imo

They should be fired when they promote dangerous conspiracies that cost lives

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I disagree with that. Obviously people should be able to have opinions about vaccines, even if they are dumb. Fortunately I haven't heard anything about her being fired either so thankfully we might see more of her.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Just give me black adam, you can cancel the rest.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Black Adam possibly got Noah Centenio booted from the He-Man movie, since Black Adam is already filming and he probably can't film both at the same time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Zzulu posted:

I disagree with that. Obviously people should be able to have opinions about vaccines, even if they are dumb. Fortunately I haven't heard anything about her being fired either so thankfully we might see more of her.

If theyre like a doctor or something sure.

if theyre just retweeting an anti vax, climate change denying transphobe then they can, and infact did gently caress off social media. Unfortunately not before saying she was just asking questions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a Flash mark, I'm going to watch the Flash movie that will be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a Flash mark, I'm going to watch the Flash movie that will be bad.

Maybe the 8 years in development was the exact amount of time they needed to really nail it?