Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

Same but I'm relistening, lol. Up to shadow rising now

:hfive:
I'm at The Dragon Reborn, chapter 46. Mat's just broken into the palace. You know, I never before considered any similarity with Fallout, but I suppose Mat's iron-hard "If I make a real promise I am going to see it through" regarding being a mailman vaguely reminds me of Courier Six.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!

Pretty stoked for a trailer eventually.

E: I assume they will release snippets of all of the cast before any full length trailer, I also assume it's not going to premier until the fall since we're basically in May and nothing has been announced.

Oh man. I doubt they'll do it, but now I'm picturing that line being in the proper full-length trailer. No context, just get someone who can nail the performance at full volume. Don't even have the flashback anywhere in Season One. Wait until S2 to open up on what set Moiraine and Siuan on their quest.

You know I'm sure others have raised this point before, but how on Earth does Siuan know she has a talent for seeing ta'veren? How many ta'veren have there actually been in the last forty years?
edit: Maybe there's some talent-detecting weave of ter'angreal which could find it, but that seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

silvergoose posted:

Same but I'm relistening, lol. Up to shadow rising now

That’s where I’m at in my reread after starting earlier this month.

I haven’t reread these since I finished AMoL when it first came out which is just enough time to forget a lot of things and it feels almost like reading it again for the first time. Also fun to see all the little details I missed way back when. And that neuxue blog is making it even more fun.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Ah hahaha, loving this poo poo.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Joey Steel posted:

Ah hahaha, loving this poo poo.

Seriously. I mentioned I'm right at Mat delivering Elayne's letter to Morgase, right?

Lia:

quote:

Yes, we know all about the walls. Rand kindly inspected them in detail for us.

Thom wants to go catch up on gossip with Gill at the Queen’s Blessing, but Mat just wants to be rid of the letter. Thom warns him not to get lost, but getting into the palace is easy: all you have to do is CLIMB A BLOODY WALL AND FALL INTO A GARDEN.

What’s that? Get over it, you say? NO.

quote:

It’s okay, Mat, you’ve got options. You could climb the walls, or set off some fireworks. DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO EITHER OF THOSE THINGS.

quote:

Mat’s headed back to the Inner City to make another attempt at playing postman.

quote:

A wall made to look like a cliff, he thought, and a garden on the other side. Maybe Rand was telling the truth.
No.

quote:

He scrambled up the slope on all fours. […] The rough stone of the wall gave plenty of fingerholds
NO YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY DOING THIS. THERE IS NO WAY THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

quote:

His fingers slipped out of a shallow groove, his balance shifted, and he lost the toehold under his left foot.
ALSK;ATHSLRJASLETSLERJALEK THIS IS NOT HAPPENING.

She spent like two straight books not letting go of that stupid wall stunt Rand played and then it happened again. :allears:

(Her indignation at how the opening of Knife of Dreams affected her is also one of my favorite moments.)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

(Her indignation at how the opening of Knife of Dreams affected her is also one of my favorite moments.)

That opening is one of the best openings in a series filled with goddamn loving what openings

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 29, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just want to say how much better that read through is than goddamn Leigh Butler's.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just want to say how much better that read through is than goddamn Leigh Butler's.

For sure. Like that chapter in The Fires of Heavens with Moiraine vs Lanfear? Leigh spends basically all her commentary on the fact that Rand's chivalry is idiotic/problematic. Which is of course entirely true, and the text acknowledges it instantly (Rand blaming himself, the Maidens confronting him about it, in the very same chapter!). But wasting your entire writing on just that one topic without really touching everything else that happens, from the emotional impact to the story impact of both being out of the picture (at a time when Knife of Dreams was the newest book, no less!) really, really irked me.

Neuxue is so much better, it's such a joy to read.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I mean the chivalry only ever causes problems for rand. It's not displayed as a good thing!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Torrannor posted:

For sure. Like that chapter in The Fires of Heavens with Moiraine vs Lanfear? Leigh spends basically all her commentary on the fact that Rand's chivalry is idiotic/problematic. Which is of course entirely true, and the text acknowledges it instantly (Rand blaming himself, the Maidens confronting him about it, in the very same chapter!). But wasting your entire writing on just that one topic without really touching everything else that happens, from the emotional impact to the story impact of both being out of the picture (at a time when Knife of Dreams was the newest book, no less!) really, really irked me.

Neuxue is so much better, it's such a joy to read.

She has a lot of Very Important Opinions, that's for sure.

I'm still looking for something Neuxue gets wrong, and so far I don't think I've found anything.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

perhaps this tvtropes link will convince you otherwise? *bangs head against desk*

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Lan: You know nothing Jon Snow Rand Al'Thor

Can't say I think this was a good choice for Lan's dialogue as it comes off as cribbing from GOT.

Why not have him say his: "Death is light as a feather, duty heavy as a mountain."

That's a nice 2 second clip that gets fans all hot 'n bothered and doesn't spoil a single second.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I always pictured him as a brick shithouse.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Invalid Validation posted:

Lan? Yeah. He's routinely described as a large, imposing man, but I don't think he's freakishly huge.

I'm pretty sure Perrin has him beat in sheer size, but Perrin's bigger than almost everyone who isn't an Ogier.

And I'm also pretty sure that Rand's taller, but Rand's taller than almost everyone who isn't an Ogier, including most Aiel.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Invalid Validation posted:

Same. I want to pre-face this by saying I've never been a WWE fan, but my mental image for Lan was basically Triple H. A big, muscle bound, Viking looking kind of guy, with a blocky face, and long hair.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Since Shienarans/Lan always gave me a strong samurai vibe, he's actually pretty close to the Lan I pictured in my mind.

Edit: I'm actually the most unsure about the actor who plays Rand, the other core cast fits pretty well imho. Moiraine being played by Rosamund Pike is so amazing.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 29, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Since Shienarans/Lan always gave me a strong samurai vibe, he's actually pretty close to the Lan I pictured in my mind.

Edit: I'm actually the most unsure about the actor who plays Rand, the other core cast fits pretty well imho. Moiraine being played by Rosamund Pike is so amazing.

Lan is a Malkieri, and I always imagined those as Indian. Their women even have this weird third-eye painting when they marry.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Lan is a Malkieri, and I always imagined those as Indian. Their women even have this weird third-eye painting when they marry.

I mean, yes he's Malkieri, but I always put them down with the Shienarans for some reason. Lan quotes poetry to Agelmar that they are both familiar with, they share a cultural space. And he grew up in Shienar iirc.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Shienar is feudal Japan.

e: apparently Jordancon is going to happen in mid July this year so maybe a trailer or release date then?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 29, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I pictured the Shienarans and Malkieri as Northern Europeans with viking style top knots and braids. With some Samurai and Indian culture sprinkled in. Jordan loved to take different cultures from the real world and mish mash them together for WOT.

Lan's piercing blue eyes made it difficult for me to imagine him as non-white. But I'm open to seeing Lan imagined in a different way on screen. He looks like a badass in the clip and that's way more important to the character of Lan than his eye color.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

th3t00t posted:

I pictured the Shienarans and Malkieri as Northern Europeans with viking style top knots and braids. With some Samurai and Indian culture sprinkled in. Jordan loved to take different cultures from the real world and mish mash them together for WOT.

Lan's piercing blue eyes made it difficult for me to imagine him as non-white. But I'm open to seeing Lan imagined in a different way on screen. He looks like a badass in the clip and that's way more important to the character of Lan than his eye color.

Yeah, I kind of thought of Lan as a big (northern) Chinese or Mongolian dude with inexplicably blue eyes.

:shrug:

I also always thought of The good "Swan Sanchez" as a blue eyed Auntie as well, so there is that.

Joey Steel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 29, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

I mean, yes he's Malkieri, but I always put them down with the Shienarans for some reason. Lan quotes poetry to Agelmar that they are both familiar with, they share a cultural space. And he grew up in Shienar iirc.

Sure, but he grew up surrounded by crazy fanatic Malkieri-expats, so I would expect him to be even more Malkieri than a normal Malkieri would have been

th3t00t posted:

Also true, but Northern Europeans? :psyduck:

Kind of hilarious how the internet brings different people together, I'd never in a trillion years would have assumed that someone could think that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Lan is Lord of the Lakes so that makes Nynaeve the Lady of the Lakes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Joey Steel posted:

Yeah, I kind of thought of Lan as a big (northern) Chinese or Mongolian dude with inexplicably blue eyes.

:shrug:

I also always thought of The good "Swan Sanchez" as a blue eyed Auntie as well, so there is that.

There are plenty of people on the steppe who have blue eyes actually, I know it surprised the hell out of me at first

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Lan is Lord of the Lakes so that makes Nynaeve the Lady of the Lakes.

Literally named after her

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Throw a stone at the cast and you will hit somebody named after Arthurian mythos. Rand is the Pendragon, Nynaeve is Nimue, Elayne is Elaine, Morgase is Morgause, Moiraine is Morgan Le Fey a.k.a. Morgaine, Lan could be short for Lancelot, Thom is Merlin, and Hawkwing was named after Arthur of course.

Edit: Galad is Galahad, Gawyn is Gaway, Egwene might be Igraine, etc. Caemlyn is Camelot.

Edit2: Oh, Egwene al'Vere is Guinevere! Then Tigraine is Igraine of course. Also you have the A-Merlin seat. Also Tar Valon is Avalon, the Sa'angreal is the Holy Grail.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 29, 2021

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think an in-universe explanation is that the legend of King Arthur is a hazy retelling of the events in the books, because time is a wheel and the spokes go both ways or whatever.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Somebody stick a playing card in the spokes of the Wheel of Time.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Libluini posted:

Sure, but he grew up surrounded by crazy fanatic Malkieri-expats, so I would expect him to be even more Malkieri than a normal Malkieri would have been

Also true, but Northern Europeans? :psyduck:

Kind of hilarious how the internet brings different people together, I'd never in a trillion years would have assumed that someone could think that.
The borderlands are in the North of Rand-Land, so my brain went to Northern Europe when the first guy we meet from there has piercing blue eyes, like how it went to Mediterranean for people from southern rand land. I imagined Saldeans as more of a swarthier, hawk nosed Russian/Eurasian ethnicity.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gwaihir posted:

bro these loving fraction of a second teasers are AWFUL give us the goods amazon

It would be cool as hell if the full trailer they finally release is just the prologue from Eye of the World. Just straight up LTT running around crazy as gently caress while one of the Forsaken comes by to fix him and then Dragonmount gets formed. I think you could do it in under 5 minutes if you wanted to. They'd have to get Billy Zane back, but I think he's got time.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

For whatever reason I've always pictured Lan as the Northern Paladin from Magic: The Gathering:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2352

Could be the "Destroy target black permanent" thing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

How are u posted:

Somebody stick a playing card in the spokes of the Wheel of Time.

That picture of the guy putting a stick between the spokes of the front wheel of his bike, except the guy is the Creator, who's also the Dark One.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Why would the Dark One do this"

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Casting for this show is invariably going to diverge from the book-reader's expectations at least a little because some things aren't spelled out and for the ones that are, many common sets of features in Randland are ethnic or cultural improbabilities in our world.

I will only get irreparably upset if the Seanchan actors don't have some variety of Southern US accent. I'm really hoping for a Texas drawl but I'll take hillbilly, coastal southern, etc. too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I'm a little worried they're going to oversimplify things down into stereotypes. Guess we will see.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I'm a little worried they're going to oversimplify things down into stereotypes. Guess we will see.

Same, but I am heartened by the fact that they are definitely erring on the side of diversity with the named cast. If they use costuming and stuff like accents to depict cultures rather than skin/hair/eye color I'm fine with that. But Cairhienin and Aiel better be short/tall - that shouldn't be a big ask!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Casting for this show is invariably going to diverge from the book-reader's expectations at least a little because some things aren't spelled out and for the ones that are, many common sets of features in Randland are ethnic or cultural improbabilities in our world.

I will only get irreparably upset if the Seanchan actors don't have some variety of Southern US accent. I'm really hoping for a Texas drawl but I'll take hillbilly, coastal southern, etc. too.

Somebody said it here, I think, that it's either a weird uncomfortable coincidence or a stroke of absolute genius that the only (prominently depicted) society which practices pervasive, institutional slavery speaks with a heavy Southern drawl.

On your first point, about ethnic and cultural improbabilities, I just remember Kate Reading giving what I think was supposed to be a vaguely Japanese accent to Yukiri, and being irritated by that. You can't infer anything from her name! I don't know. WoT Wikia tells me Yukiri's Arafellan, and maybe that fits for Arafel, but then you should also apply it to Alanna :argh:.

As for casting, just get the best actors you can and worry about appearance only when it's extremely important (Rand looking Aiel), and focus hard on making clear what the cultural groups are. (But then, I liked Idris Elba's Roland.)

fake edit:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Same, but I am heartened by the fact that they are definitely erring on the side of diversity with the named cast. If they use costuming and stuff like accents to depict cultures rather than skin/hair/eye color I'm fine with that. But Cairhienin and Aiel better be short/tall - that shouldn't be a big ask!
Yes, this. This exactly. Cultures should be distinct culturally, and a few plot or character relevant physical details should be preserved as necessary. (I feel like it's important to Moiraine's character that she is a tiny person.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want the seanchan to just speak with the most cajun accent possible

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Rosamond Pike is 5'9 so they better use that amazon budget to digitally make her 4'11.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Vavrek posted:

Somebody said it here, I think, that it's either a weird uncomfortable coincidence or a stroke of absolute genius that the only (prominently depicted) society which practices pervasive, institutional slavery speaks with a heavy Southern drawl.

Also, the tiny black empress invades Europe and enslaves some of the most powerful people in society there. Good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Rosamond Pike is 5'9 so they better use that amazon budget to digitally make her 4'11.

I assume there will be plenty of dwarves in the LotR series so they can share that tech.