Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

I thought about shoplifting a slip cover for Star Trek into Darkness from a Half Price Books. It was a dark time for me.

Do you still need one? I think I might have an extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

A New Hope.

Me when someone brings up the last 20 years of home video releases of the original Star Wars films:

Gripweed posted:

I always toss slipcases, except in cases like the steelbook Ultramans where the slipcase keeps the book in place or something

I'm going to gather up every slipcase I have and make a video of me throwing them into a fire and post it on the blu-ray.com forums.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

Me when someone brings up the last 20 years of home video releases of the original Star Wars films:

I'm going to gather up every slipcase I have and make a video of me throwing them into a fire and post it on the blu-ray.com forums.

Especially when they have the exact same art as the case, I just don't see the appeal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Especially when they have the exact same art as the case, I just don't see the appeal.

Yeah that's some dumb bullshit. A lot of the ones with new art on them are dogshit too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well before you burn them let me know what you have so I can get the ones I’m missing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Well before you burn them let me know what you have so I can get the ones I’m missing.

Letting anyone have them defeats the purpose of burning them.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Letting anyone have them defeats the purpose of burning them.

Yea sure, but like, I’ll take them off your hands and we’ll just say they were on fire.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
slip covers were always the most annoying part about movie buying

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

John Romero posted:

slip covers were always the most annoying part about movie buying

No it was that clear sticker they put across the top, side and bottom. Half the time it would rip a strip off the top of the cover too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Boinks posted:

No it was that clear sticker they put across the top, side and bottom. Half the time it would rip a strip off the top of the cover too.

THIS! for CDs AND DVDs AND Blu-Ray’s!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I like slipcovers. I'm not obsessed about them and I certainly would never buy one individually, but I'm always happy when I get one. A few reasons. They make the spines look nicer on the shelf. There's a feeling of getting "more" for your money (just like any other swag like lobby cards or booklets, etc.). And sometimes they really look cool. The Blue Underground UHD ones are embossed and glossy and I really like them. Oh, and sometimes the inner sleeve either has different art or is reversible, so it's like getting two different covers. The recent The Good the Bad and the Ugly UHD release is like this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Yea sure, but like, I’ll take them off your hands and we’ll just say they were on fire.

I don't think I can mail you a box of fire.

Boinks posted:

I would slice them down the middle with a box cutter.

And hands down the worst thing about DVD packaging was those stupid loving tabs you had to flip down to open the case. The first thing I would do when I got a DVD that had that was rip them right the gently caress off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

THIS! for CDs AND DVDs AND Blu-Ray’s!

I had a friend who worked at a store that sold only CDs and DVDs (I'm pretty sure they also had laserdiscs when those existed), and he taught me a trick for removing those stickers from a standard CD jewel case.

Real simple, and I still do it 20 years later on the off chance I buy a new CD. Just take the cover off, starting at the bottom hinge, the top hinge will now easily come off as well, leaving the two pieces attached by the sticker. From there you just peel it off, and unless it's been there for a long while, it'll usually come off in one unadulterated piece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm worried my The Good the Bad and the Ugly might get cancelled because the listing says it's now out of stock and I only preordered it like a week before the release date. Tracking says it should arrive in like 2 weeks which makes me think they don't currently have any stock to send me, otherwise it would've shipped already.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah it looks like Kino underestimated the demand for GBU. Seems to be sold out everywhere.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m getting a little worried about my GBU order. I haven’t gotten a shipping email yet and I’m moving next week. I made the order back in January before I knew I was moving and I did guest checkout so I can’t check the status on the Kino site :ohdear:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I ordered mine from Kino on the 26th and tracking says Friday.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I don't think I can mail you a box of fire.

I'll light the box on fire. dont worry. send it pre-fire.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a friend who worked at a store that sold only CDs and DVDs (I'm pretty sure they also had laserdiscs when those existed), and he taught me a trick for removing those stickers from a standard CD jewel case.

Real simple, and I still do it 20 years later on the off chance I buy a new CD. Just take the cover off, starting at the bottom hinge, the top hinge will now easily come off as well, leaving the two pieces attached by the sticker. From there you just peel it off, and unless it's been there for a long while, it'll usually come off in one unadulterated piece.

My friend taught me the same trick about 6 years ago.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Has the Suspiria UHD ever been found anywhere for a non-ridiculous price?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grabbed myself Hacksaw Ridge 4k and Interstellar 4k for cheap at Walmart today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I'll light the box on fire. dont worry. send it pre-fire.

Give me your address and I definitely won't mail you a copy of the Phantom Menace on VHS.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Has the Suspiria UHD ever been found anywhere for a non-ridiculous price?

Best you're gonna get it for is maybe $35. And that's pretty uncommon. I just checked and I bought it for $40, and it's $38 right now on Amazon. That's as good as it gets.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah I kept an eye on it for months and bought it at $36.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought the "mastered in 4k" version of Suspiria a few years ago and it looks great so I haven't felt much of a need to upgrade it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I bought the "mastered in 4k" version of Suspiria a few years ago and it looks great so I haven't felt much of a need to upgrade it.

I never saw that version, but the HDR and the sound design on the 4k UHD are insanely good. I noticed things in the sound that I didn't even noticed when I saw the 4k remaster in theaters.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The new UHD comes from the same 4k master from a few years ago. Every review I've seen says the HDR and higher res make a noticeable difference. If there were ever a movie that I could imagine benefiting from the wide color gamut of HDR, it's Suspiria.

I think I'll bite the bullet and get it. It'll be one of my "trifecta" movies. Owned on DVD, Blu-ray and UHD.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

The new UHD comes from the same 4k master from a few years ago. Every review I've seen says the HDR and higher res make a noticeable difference. If there were ever a movie that I could imagine benefiting from the wide color gamut of HDR, it's Suspiria.

I think I'll bite the bullet and get it. It'll be one of my "trifecta" movies. Owned on DVD, Blu-ray and UHD.

Take a look yourself: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_78/suspiria_4K_UHD.htm

Most notable is how vibrant the blues are now, and the more pronounced range subtleties with blues, violets and reds blending together.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 29, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yea I think that's why I'm holding off. For a long while there was no blu ray so I spent way too much on a DVD considering it was like 2012. Then the mastered in 4k blu ray comes out and I spend another $30 on that, so I'd like to get my money's worth out of that blu ray for another few years before I spend any more on Suspiria, as great as it is.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Take a look yourself: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_78/suspiria_4K_UHD.htm

Most notable is how vibrant the blues are now, and the more pronounced range subtleties with blues, violets and reds blending together.

Looks nice. And I know it'll look even nicer when the HDR can show through.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Looks nice. And I know it'll look even nicer when the HDR can show through.

Definitely. And this detail, which I'm sure you read, but just in case:

quote:

A brand new Dolby Atmos track is included with the "Suspiria" 4K release from Synapse, and it is yet another accomplishment worthy of serious praise. Also here is the original 1977 4.0 track (which also appeared on Synapse's Blu-ray release) and for those without a Dolby Atmos setup, this one ain't no slouch either. But back to that Atmos track... right out of the gate, the three-dimensional object-based Atmos technology handles the opening storm sequence with aplomb. The eerie whisperings of "Witchhhhh!" swirl around like a zephyr with the wind while the rain seems to be pouring right on top of you, thanks to the ceiling speakers in my Atmos setup. Just as a ballet's Overture, Argento's film immediately sets the scene for the sights and sounds to follow. Goblin's music is inseparable from the film, and this new track rightfully keeps the score front and center when called for.

Which explains why I heard details on my home viewing that I didn't hear in theaters with the pre-4k UHD release 4k remaster.

Not that I have that elaborate of a sound system, cuz I live in an apartment and can't have my neighbors in absolute dread.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm not Atmos-ready yet :( Still rocking my 2002 Yamaha 5.1 receiver.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Did anyone see Severin's Vyi? How's the release?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ringu0 posted:

it's dope and i based my MotM thread on it as a result.

Franchescanado posted:

I never saw that version, but the HDR and the sound design on the 4k UHD are insanely good. I noticed things in the sound that I didn't even noticed when I saw the 4k remaster in theaters.

ahh i need to upgrade to an hdr and atmos setup

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

it's dope and i based my MotM thread on it as a result.

Can you drop a link please?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ringu0 posted:

I have the Severin release. It's decent but if you're region free, get the Eureka release. It's encoded at a higher bitrate and there's more supplemental material.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I have the Severin release. It's decent but if you're region free, get the Eureka release. It's encoded at a higher bitrate and there's more supplemental material.

Oh that's neat I didn't realize there was another release available.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The UHD cover for Close Encounters of the Third Kind pales in comparison to the beautiful digipak Blu-Ray with the booklet and foldout poster, so I managed to fit the UHD into the slip.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

I just blind-bought the movie Coma for pretty cheap based solely on the :krad: trailer, how badly did I gently caress up?

https://youtu.be/9BHrWpvO_NY

Do you like The Andromeda Strain? Because it's very, very Andromeda Strain in pacing, directing and acting.

I liked it, but pre-Jurassic Park Michael Crichton is an acquired taste.

Edit: Wait, this is not the Coma I've seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBAZRoAS64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow July releases

I'm in for all the UHDs.