Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The gift card part is the only bit that annoys me, I want it applied to the initial purchase for the discount. It doesn't feel like much of a deal if I end up burning that money on apps and poo poo, even though it affects my bank account exactly the same amount.

Feelings matter. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

The gift card part is the only bit that annoys me, I want it applied to the initial purchase for the discount. It doesn't feel like much of a deal if I end up burning that money on apps and poo poo, even though it affects my bank account exactly the same amount.

Feelings matter. :smith:

I went through the purchasing process for an iPad Air right now and it lets you start a trade in process on the same page. It says this: "Pay monthly and you’ll get instant trade-in credit on your purchase. Or pay in full and we’ll credit your payment method after you send in your device."

So it does in a way, apply to the initial purchase.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I might just go in-store after all on physical launch day to see if I can hopefully get a unit I'd like (512gb model) and see if they can take the trade in then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So, I’ve been posting probably too much on my internal debate of whether I upgrade my 2013 Mac Air or 2016 iPad Pro first.

I think I just (finally) made a decision, I just use my iPad more, and the Mac will still work for a bit, so I’m updating my iPad to the new Pro 12.9 (although I think I’ll still wait to read the official reviews). Plus, since I get the cell model, I can do payment plan on my phone bill to make it easier.

It’s $1300 for the 128GB, or $1600 for the 512GB if I want double RAM. My 64GB iPad isn’t full, so I really don’t need the storage, and probably not the RAM (I don’t do design or anything), so I think I will manage to calm the temptation to get the 512 and “just” get the 128GB.

Like, in reality land my current iPad works fine for me, this is def a tech nerd update already.

Apple is getting a good bit from me this go around, I’ll be getting that and the updated Apple TV, and a set of Airtags.

anyone interested in buying a 10.5” Pro ?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Has it been confirmed that certain Pro models will have more RAM than others? I heard something like the 1TB model will have more- since I'm using it for art the extra RAM would be really welcome, but I don't know if I can spend another $400 on it, especially since 512gb suits me fine for storage.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The new 1TB and 2TB iPad Pros come with 16GB of RAM. The rest of the new Pros have 8GB.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress

edit: Oh this is interesting; playing around with the options I noticed that there is now a different applecare- instead of the 2 years, you can now do a $7.99/month until cancelled. Does this mean you can technically get longer than 2 years of applecare for a device now?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 27, 2021

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

gently caress

edit: Oh this is interesting; playing around with the options I noticed that there is now a different applecare- instead of the 2 years, you can now do a $7.99/month until cancelled. Does this mean you can technically get longer than 2 years of applecare for a device now?

I’m not sure what devices but yes some can stay on AppleCare as long as you keep the monthly active

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

The new 1TB and 2TB iPad Pros come with 16GB of RAM. The rest of the new Pros have 8GB.

drat, not even the 512 gets the extra RAM? That def seals the 128 for me, just no response to go to that price.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is the extra ram simply because of the increase storage access to avoid slowdown at higher memory usage? I can’t imagine there’s going to be apps or OS features that require a person to have a 1TB pro

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's normal for Apple to bump up the memory in their higher tier configurations. There's no real justification for it, it's Apple being Apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is the extra ram simply because of the increase storage access to avoid slowdown at higher memory usage? I can’t imagine there’s going to be apps or OS features that require a person to have a 1TB pro

There are but it’s going to be an extremely limited use case.

For like 95% of people 8GB is plenty for a tablet.

I say this as someone who has a 16GB M1 MBP.

I don’t do nearly the same multitasking on the iPad that I do on the MBP.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2018 pro has like 4 gigs of RAM and I’ve never had issues with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there an obvious reason why iPads, afaik, don’t have support for three and four finger gestures?

E:I put that the wrong way, cause apps can surely have those gestures, just surprised there aren’t any on the OS level, but maybe that’s intentional so app makers can use their own.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 29, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They do I thought? I use the bar at the bottom for this now but you could switch apps and go back to the springboard with three and four finger pinches and swipes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Is there an obvious reason why iPads, afaik, don’t have support for three and four finger gestures? E:i put that the wrong way, cause apps can surely have those gestures, just surprised there aren’t any on the OS level, but maybe that intentional so app makers can use their own.

Probably the cost in tech support calls from old people would be so high that they would lose money on it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hatty posted:

They do I thought? I use the bar at the bottom for this now but you could switch apps and go back to the springboard with three and four finger pinches and swipes.

Yeah, they do have them, and have had them for a pretty long time now…

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hatty posted:

Oddly that wasn’t in any of the gesture guides I saw.

But mostly I’d love to make custom ones, the way you can with windows precision trackpads.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, they do have them, and have had them for a pretty long time now…

What’s another one?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Is there an obvious reason why iPads, afaik, don’t have support for three and four finger gestures?

E:I put that the wrong way, cause apps can surely have those gestures, just surprised there aren’t any on the OS level, but maybe that’s intentional so app makers can use their own.

4 finger gesture swipe up goes to multi tasking , , 4 finger swipe across switches to next app, and 4 finger close (like closing your fist) goes home. All have been on iPad since close to the beginning , and while not immediately obvious, i use them daily.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey anyone know when the new ones will actually be available to order?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlternateAccount posted:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro

edit: April 30. Typically midnight pacific or whenever the store comes back up from the maintenance that will most likely happen right before then.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 29, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Should be tonight at midnight Pacific.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Should be tonight at midnight Pacific.

:negative:

Guess I'll order when I wake up and get it when I get it.

FWIW, though, the AirTags went up at 5 am PST, so maybe so will the iPads.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone use and can recommend using their iPad for drawing on their PC?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro

edit: April 30. Typically midnight pacific or whenever the store comes back up from the maintenance that will most likely happen right before then.

Oh, gross. Guess I'll set an alarm.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Endless Mike posted:

:negative:

Guess I'll order when I wake up and get it when I get it.

FWIW, though, the AirTags went up at 5 am PST, so maybe so will the iPads.

You should be fine. You might not be one of those people macrumors posts as getting it a day early but you'll be in the first wave. For all of apples faults and even with covid production problems, supply chain and manufacturing is Tims wheelhouse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Better get that preorder in early tonight…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/chip-shortage-spreads-hurting-sales-at-apple-and-samsung/ar-BB1gbYFC?ocid=uxbndlbing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hopefully no one sold their old one in preparation. I foresee many tears and much regret if so

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pros don't fly off the shelves like phones and airs, do they?

I fully expect shortages on the initial crush but it would surprise me if it lasts months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The pros don't fly off the shelves like phones and airs, do they?

I fully expect shortages on the initial crush but it would surprise me if it lasts months.

Like, long term they don’t sell in volume like the Airs no.

But short term, people who buy the Pro research beforehand. They’re not casual buyers. So yeah, more if this audience is gonna be like people reading here, aware of all the tech aspects, aware it may already get back ordered, and even in normal times more likely to preorder.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Plus this generation has a major screen and processor upgrade. With the software rumors floating around I wouldn’t chance it if you want one anytime soon.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Air4 64GB is 899, 256GB is 1129.
Pro 128GB is 1199, 256GB is 1349.

The Pro is pretty tempting to cross shop versus the Air, especially if you probably don't need 256GB storage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve never actually preordered a product from Apple. Do they charge right away or when the product ships?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve never actually preordered a product from Apple. Do they charge right away or when the product ships?

Most preorders for companies, it’s a hold on the card and charges when it ships.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've been waffling back and forth but I think the screen upgrade is enough to get me to jump to the 12.9". I haven't been in a store to look at anything in over a year, but I remember holding a big boy pro years ago and thinking "mother of gently caress this thing is huge" but at this point I'm watching so much TV on it that it seems like a no-brainer to go up in size, especially with what looks like a pretty big gap in screen quality between the two sizes. Ugh apple pinned me perfectly here.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Most preorders for companies, it’s a hold on the card and charges when it ships.

Yeah, apple is decent. I preordered a product from another company (Gozney) and they charged me immediately for something that I might not get this year.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

George Kansas posted:

I've been waffling back and forth but I think the screen upgrade is enough to get me to jump to the 12.9". I haven't been in a store to look at anything in over a year, but I remember holding a big boy pro years ago and thinking "mother of gently caress this thing is huge" but at this point I'm watching so much TV on it that it seems like a no-brainer to go up in size, especially with what looks like a pretty big gap in screen quality between the two sizes. Ugh apple pinned me perfectly here.

SAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had the 12.9 since it was first introduced and it’s a pretty awesome size. It’s also deceivingly light which the first gen wasn’t so much.

I can’t wait for this refresh since it’s the second most used device I own.

Apple also has a generous return policy so just get it and see how you like it.