Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IMO they both probably got something out of that epilogue, but I think he definitely went in expecting fuckery to some degree and as such still came out ahead. As I've said before, I think it's titled "Dirty Trick" because he did in fact pull a fast one over on our baddie there even though as the reader it might feel the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Metalminds have to pierce the skin so I don't think the coin in his pocket would count.
This is apparently wrong. That's what I get for half remembering Mistborn.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 30, 2021

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Sab669 posted:

IMO they both probably got something out of that epilogue, but I think he definitely went in expecting fuckery to some degree and as such still came out ahead. As I've said before, I think it's titled "Dirty Trick" because he did in fact pull a fast one over on our baddie there even though as the reader it might feel the opposite.

I mean yes. The entire first half of the epilogue is him doing a trick/slight of hand so to assume he wasn't ready for something to happen is ridiculous imo. Has Brandon ever done a red herring so blatantly? I don't think so and I think that's one of his strengths. I'm actually surprised so many people apparently think the opposite.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fezz posted:

Metalminds have to pierce the skin so I don't think the coin in his pocket would count.
This is apparently wrong. That's what I get for half remembering Mistborn.

Metalminds just have to touch skin, it's hemalurgic spikes that need to pierce the body (and in specific spots). The Lord Ruler used his spikes as metalminds too, which is probably what you're thinking of There are also metals that can transfer Connection so someone who wasn't born Terris could gain Feruchemy in certain circumstances.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Taffer posted:

What the gently caress this post is violence

This was the first I'd heard about the film project, and I just imagined an animated movie with her voice as Navani's as that's how it was in my head while reading the books.

Speaking of which, I just started RoW, and it's... okay? I heard some pretty negative stuff when I started reading the books for the first time last fall. It's more full of character arcs than previous books and I feel like his prose is flowing way better than previous books. I just came off of reading Fellowship of the Ring for the first time, and I've been starving for something resembling good dialogue and characters.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 1, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The highs are just as good imo but most of the criticism seemed to be centred around (characters who are in the book) Shallan, Eshonai, and - arguably - Navani. I loved the opening and Sanderslanche though.

Edit: also everything Adolin

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I dislike that moash got his mind scooped out between books and has entirely lost his previous personality and motivations. He was more interesting as a character who had a legitimate point and had chosen a different side.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

That's kind of a shame. I always like the sorts of villains that try to pull you in to their worldview like the way Moash did for me.

I am getting a little tired of having to read about Navani getting all hot and bothered every time she sees Daddy Dalinar.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

I dislike that moash got his mind scooped out between books and has entirely lost his previous personality and motivations. He was more interesting as a character who had a legitimate point and had chosen a different side.

Based on the way Odium works it makes sense and gives weight to the decisions Kaladin and Dalinar make. I agree it sucks that moash becomes a zombie (in the original sense) but it also sets up lots of interesting possibilities with further development - we already see some of that with Moash losing his Connection to Odium and all the weight of his emotions crashing down on him

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Pennsylvanian posted:

Speaking of which, I just started RoW, and it's... okay? I heard some pretty negative stuff when I started reading the books for the first time last fall. It's more full of character arcs than previous books and I feel like his prose is flowing way better than previous books. I just came off of reading Fellowship of the Ring for the first time, and I've been starving for something resembling good dialogue and characters.

The opening is the best part of RoW in my opinion. I posted a pretty detailed reaction post a while back but I think it's one of those books where he makes a whole lot of promises at the beginning and then doesn't deliver on a few key ones. Kaladin's project with mental health is the major one for me and Venli's passiveness is another.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

The opening is the best part of RoW in my opinion. I posted a pretty detailed reaction post a while back but I think it's one of those books where he makes a whole lot of promises at the beginning and then doesn't deliver on a few key ones. Kaladin's project with mental health is the major one for me and Venli's passiveness is another.

in retrospect I kinda dig the Venli arc, as the person who knows she should change, knows she should do better, but keeps finding good, convenient excuses to put it off just a little longer -- especially in the context of being an occupying soldier amongst civilians.

anyways i'm very pro-ROW, I don't think reactions were negative in these parts, though obv it's a huge book and there are things people didn't like

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I had a good time reading it, I'm not sure how it'll shine on a re read, but to be honest the only one I've re read was way of kings and a few sections of oathbringer.

I wish Venli and Kaladin had escaped together earlier and still had to go back for everyone. Buddy comedy section! Brandon is best when his characters are interacting, not when they're stuck in their own heads with inner turmoil. Imo.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I am kind of feeling it slow down. I hope Shallan starts to have a point soon, because I thought that they had kind of wrapped up her multiple personalities for the most part, but there's a whole lot of "Veil looked at the wall. Radiant thought Veil shouldn't look at the wall. Veil was that kind of person who looked at walls really quietly and intensely while Radiant preferred to look at ceilings."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

I am kind of feeling it slow down. I hope Shallan starts to have a point soon, because I thought that they had kind of wrapped up her multiple personalities for the most part, but there's a whole lot of "Veil looked at the wall. Radiant thought Veil shouldn't look at the wall. Veil was that kind of person who looked at walls really quietly and intensely while Radiant preferred to look at ceilings."

Without spoiling anything, I'll just say don't hold your breath. There is some movement towards the end of the book but it may not be in a direction you like. The bulk of her sections in the book follow that vein, though.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yikes. I liked Shallan just fine and wondered what they were going to do with her after it seemed like Brandon wrapped up her multiple personality thing at the end of Oathkeeper. I said earlier here or the Fantasy Thread that I could just read a book about Bridge Four just screwing around because he developed so many of those guys to the point where it's just fun to watch them move through minor arcs. I like seeing Kaladin trying to find his new space and Adolin trying to figure poo poo out. But Shallan's sections feel weirdly drawn-out and go back to Brandon's main problem as a writer where character internalizations get really repetitive and recursive because it seems like he doesn't want one character's chapters to feel longer than another's. I feel like she'd be way more interesting as seen through Adolin's eyes in this book. It also bugs me that they keep talking about Renarin, who seems like he'd have a cool arc, but they barely even acknowledge that he exists (so far, at least).

I still maintain that Adolin did nothing wrong and that Dalinar is genuinely an rear end in a top hat for making him feel bad for killing Torol.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 4, 2021

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Did anyone else not enjoy the ending of rhythm of war?

I was so annoyed by the taravangian twist that I stopped reading for a couple days.
I really hate that character.
I guess maybe that's the point.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

LeninVS posted:

Did anyone else not enjoy the ending of rhythm of war?

I was so annoyed by the taravangian twist that I stopped reading for a couple days.
I really hate that character.
I guess maybe that's the point.

That was one of the things that had my jaw dropping and legitimately terrified for the protagonists.

It had to happen, and the way it happened was well foreshadowed and I thought played well into the speculation of his boon/curse, though I don't think anyone in the fandom saw this coming.

Rayse as a valid antagonist was played out once Dalinar resisted, then Kaladin did too, so he was no longer a credible threat.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yikes. I liked Shallan just fine and wondered what they were going to do with her after it seemed like Brandon wrapped up her multiple personality thing at the end of Oathkeeper

Keep going. The ending explains many things about Shallan including earlier weirdness. I found it satisfactory though I know many others didn't. It opens up many, many, many theories.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The most interesting thing about Shallan is that for a radiant powered by truth, she really sucks at admitting it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pennsylvanian posted:

It also bugs me that they keep talking about Renarin, who seems like he'd have a cool arc, but they barely even acknowledge that he exists (so far, at least).

I guess Brandon is keeping his powder dry. Renarin, and Jasnah clearly deserve more screen time, but we'll likely have to wait until the back 5 SA books. Renarin, Jasnah, Lift and I think Taln and Shallash(?) will all get one book focusing on each of them in the latter half of the series, just like the first half had books for Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Venli and Szeth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The RoW flashbacks about Venli were the most uninteresting bloat I've ever seen in a Sanderson book.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The RoW flashbacks about Venli were the most uninteresting bloat I've ever seen in a Sanderson book.

Gotta pad the page count in a book ostensibly about Venli

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sanderson posted a blog asking what tabletop game they should make next for Stormlight. I need the RPG to win. Mistborn's is great.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

I feel like she'd be way more interesting as seen through Adolin's eyes in this book.

That's a really neat idea, I wish that's how all those sections had been done now. Probably would have made me much more sympathetic to her and less exhausted by her tiresome internal monologue going around in circles.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Alright, just finished warbreaker (half-baked characters but cool magic system and setting) and have read all 6 mistborn books, Elantris, the 4 stormlight books, and random novellas and shorts. What else is there to read other than the rest of the short stories, for cosmere stuff?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Alright, just finished warbreaker (half-baked characters but cool magic system and setting) and have read all 6 mistborn books, Elantris, the 4 stormlight books, and random novellas and shorts. What else is there to read other than the rest of the short stories, for cosmere stuff?

You've covered all the complete novels. The cosmere collection has basically all of the short stories that are cosmere related. Secret history is pretty huge if you haven't read that yet. Stormlight archive novellas are pretty big too (edgedancer, dawnshard)

This page has a list of what's cosmere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson_bibliography

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

You've covered all the complete novels. The cosmere collection has basically all of the short stories that are cosmere related. Secret history is pretty huge if you haven't read that yet. Stormlight archive novellas are pretty big too (edgedancer, dawnshard)

This page has a list of what's cosmere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson_bibliography

Yep, I read secret history and dawnshard, my library loan ran out before I got to edgedancer though. Thanks! Sounds like I can fairly safely wade into reading spoilers now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lawnie posted:

Yep, I read secret history and dawnshard, my library loan ran out before I got to edgedancer though. Thanks! Sounds like I can fairly safely wade into reading spoilers now.

Post your impressions/thoughts about books or characters or plotlines, we're always super interested in reading those!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Post your impressions/thoughts about books or characters or plotlines, we're always super interested in reading those!

I read everything in the last six months or so, so it should be fresh. I’ll give it a shot tonight.

Edit: one book review down, 11 more to go. will post when i'm done

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 5, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Yeah I think you're safe for spoilers. Stuff that was revealed in edgedancer was explored in dawnshard and rhythm of war..

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Taffer posted:

That's a really neat idea, I wish that's how all those sections had been done now. Probably would have made me much more sympathetic to her and less exhausted by her tiresome internal monologue going around in circles.

There was a part I just passed where Adolin sees her look in a trunk, snap it back shut and insist nothing was wrong. He just went along with it because he trusted her. When it went back to Shallan, there was just more dull internalization where the book was explaining her every motive and thought, even throwaway stuff like "Shallan had to ask tricky questions to root out the spy. Shallan was good at asking tricky questions." I'm the kind of the person who likes the former scenario over the latter. I think there's a lot of intrigue in these books, and I wish Brandon would trust himself and the reader to have little more suspense here and there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If every Shallan chapter was another Adolin chapter, Stormlight would be so much better as a series. Maybe Shallan will click at some point (it seemed like it almost might happen after the 3rd book) but until that happens...

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Like I said, I enjoyed Shallan in the first three books, but she seems to be spinning her wheels in RoW. Lots of her chapters so far are her just explaining her character to the reader while there's a perfectly good spy-catching tale to be told. I also kind of like hearing about how offputting she is to other characters from their perspective.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Me anytime Shallan gets screen time: “Booooooo!”

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

Like I said, I enjoyed Shallan in the first three books, but she seems to be spinning her wheels in RoW. Lots of her chapters so far are her just explaining her character to the reader while there's a perfectly good spy-catching tale to be told. I also kind of like hearing about how offputting she is to other characters from their perspective.

I just kinda love that Adolin is this big lovable teddy bear of a person and he’s just head over heels for an annoying theater/tumblr girl type.

ElGroucho posted:

Me anytime Shallan Lift gets screen time: “Booooooo!”

*goofy anachronisms and cartoon physics* wow this is a great character!!!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Axies the collector book when?!?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

External Organs posted:

Axies the collector book when?!?

Same but with Aimians in general

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Most recent update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1n2jtUpxQk

Mainly a quick reference to the more detailed update on The Lost Metal (Wax & Wayne 4) posted on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mistborn/comments/mziksx/tlm_the_lost_metal_update_1/

And also polls update the next fan collector books, games, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

Most recent update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1n2jtUpxQk

Mainly a quick reference to the more detailed update on The Lost Metal (Wax & Wayne 4) posted on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mistborn/comments/mziksx/tlm_the_lost_metal_update_1/

And also polls update the next fan collector books, games, etc.

Wooooooooooooooooooooow

Brandon Sanderson posted:

My current plan is to try to finish this one [The Lost Metal] by August 1st, with a Christmas 2022 publication date. (Skyward 3 being this year, and Skyward 4 being somewhere early 2023.) It will be followed by the fifth Stormlight book in Christmas 2023. After that, the good news is that I plan to write Era Three (three books long, 200-250k each like the original trilogy) all in a row. I'll need a few years on that project, so goal is tentatively to see those start being published in 2025 or so--with one a year for three years after that, followed by Stormlight 6 in 2028.

Interesting timeline. Considering the things he revealed about the Mistborn 3 trilogy (big Mistborn 3 spoiler, you've been warned!), namely that they will feature quite a bit of Kelsier, it would make sense to push them all out in one go before returning to the second half of the Stormlight series, if we assume that "Thaidakar" will play a bigger role in the SA books going forward. Super intriguing stuff, and I really appreciate him being so open with his project plans. Thanks for linking this, Leng.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Another thing with the Era 3 seeing and its large Cosmere implications is that it's taking place in their 1980s equivalent, unless he's changed his mind on it, so the Scadrial/Cosmere we will see in Era 3 is likely a few centuries after the events of Stormlight have ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Another thing with the Era 3 seeing and its large Cosmere implications is that it's taking place in their 1980s equivalent, unless he's changed his mind on it, so the Scadrial/Cosmere we will see in Era 3 is likely a few centuries after the events of Stormlight have ended.

i don't see why it'd be a few centuries? 'current' tech level in wax/wayne is like 1920s/30s (in the urban center at least). i'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of fast advancement and it ends up being nearly simultaneous if not literally simultaneous to stormlight era 2

but yeah he easily could make it completely after stormlight ended, it'd certainly create a very interesting teaser if we knew what happened on Scadrial decades later before we know how Roshar ends up