Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The workings of the universe boil down to the interaction of subatomic particles.

Were you able to build a computer powerful enough to map their movements, you could predict with 100% accuracy which Eyes Wide Shut party filled with 14 year olds I would be attending at any given moment.

yes this is the strong determinism argument and it is the dominant bourgeois philosophy. there are other ways of viewing the world and one’s place in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

yes this is the strong determinism argument and it is the dominant bourgeois philosophy. there are other ways of viewing the world and one’s place in it.

Liberals spent so long trying to debunk the divine right of kings, now they’re in charge and they desperately want that poo poo back.

“Turns out we live in a simulation and the matrix says my Silicon Valley vampire friends can buy your blood plasma” just doesn’t play like it used to.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know if I've been reading too much of this thread but I'm paranoid about an encounter I just had.
Context: I work at an early stage startup in sports analytics in Europe, we analyze video from sports matches. Not quite stealth mode but pretty much zero public profile.

We get contacted by a guy interested in doing a project with us... let me just put it in bullets
  • Responded to a (closed) student internship ad even though he's not a student.
  • Previously worked in cybersecurity, now interested in computer vision and looking for a way to get started.
  • Willing to work for free part-time.
  • He's Israeli, been in our city for 2 years.
  • Spent many years in cybersecurity for Israeli Intelligence Unit 8200, working on reverse engineering. Then worked for what looks like the biggest IT contractor for the IDF.
  • According to his CV, 2 years in an unnamed startup. During this time he gave 2 talks at security conferences, neither say an affiliation but found some slides where his bio slide says "Offensive Background. PhD candidate, mathematics. Algorithmic research for infosec".
  • Spent the 2 last years in this city as an independent consultant, reverse engineering in Android.
  • Answered my questions very briefly and like he was confused by all of them. Like "So you went part-time to start exploring computer vision, are you doing some hobby project, doing tutorials, coursework...what's your approach?" ... "uhh, yeah... some tutorials." Could barely tell me the name of a library he had tried using.

So, this is an op, right? Any suggestions for interacting with him or should I just disengage?

Yes, here I am bringing work-related cybersecurity issues to the Epstein thread. What have I come to?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ask to get in on the "project", which is to include whatever he's pitching as well as secretly plotting, then see where it goes. Emphasize the risks you take and use those as leverage to demand compensation for continuing going along with it. Before it's too late,
escape your company on a golden parachute and use that to float to the next job, leaving the first company on their own against whatever breaches ensue.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Happy Thread posted:

I think a lot of this is just emergent behavior. lovely stuff happens naturally when there are groups of people, such that it can just happen to line up with the interests of those who make deceptions and plots. Yeah, the secret programs do study sabotage. They do sabotage communities (including academics), they do study psychology from an ecological standpoint (remember earlier when we found out "Industrial and Organizational Psychology" is so thick with spies to seem like a field that grooms academics for learning how to sabotage and manipulate groups). They study how to make sociopaths (SynAnon Church, Kaczynski, etc). But people sometimes sabotage things on their own. Their own communities, cultures, studies, philosophies etc. without needing outside intervention. It happens by way of misunderstandings and abusive nature. If it wasn't a natural emergent behavior, the job of forcing it to happen would be much harder. Unfortunately it is. It seems to have enabled plenty of sabotage by rulers in the past too, throughout all of history as rulers took advantage of the upper hand to deceive others. The natural emergent shittiness of people has always been there to help with that, long before the invention of modern secret programs.

emergence is unpredictable, not uncontrollable. we can imagine a hypothetical three letter agency called the Communism Control Program, whose mission it is to "control" communism. it's just a dumb monitor, because that's all it has to be. it monitors the rate of communisms emerging, and whether that rate falls within some goldilocks interval. our ccp doesn't try to predict or force anything to happen. it doesn't need to. it also only has two outputs: 'boot' and 'fund'. whenever our ccp detects there's too much communism, it starts putting the boot down on human faces--randomly--until the value comes back into the goldilocks interval. if there's not enough communism, the ccp funds some podcasts or movements--also randomly--until the value comes back up. the more off the value gets, the harder it boots or funds. that's it.

by holding the value in this goldilocks interval, the larger system the ccp exists within, Capital, receives continuous immunization against new evolutions of threats to its stability from communism. the ccp in turn receives feedback from capital about how its handling of communism is affecting system stability and move the goldilocks interval for communism accordingly. we ensure that communism neither goes critical nor goes away. even though this ccp itself is basically a more complex thermostat with only very rudimentary intelligence, by "controlling" communism in this way, it nonetheless works to ensure system stability is never seriously threatened by communism, all while appearing to a rational outside actor looking at any set of events as if it's randomly funding and oppressing stuff.

in the real world, of course, gradually since the late 40s, we've grown a rich and complex ecosystem of thermostats filling different control niches at every conceivable scale, each adapted to control a particular threat, all coordinated around the organizing principle of maximum profit.

Zodium has issued a correction as of 09:31 on Apr 29, 2021

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't know if I've been reading too much of this thread but I'm paranoid about an encounter I just had.
Context: I work at an early stage startup in sports analytics in Europe, we analyze video from sports matches. Not quite stealth mode but pretty much zero public profile.

We get contacted by a guy interested in doing a project with us... let me just put it in bullets
  • Previously worked in cybersecurity, now interested in computer vision and looking for a way to get started.
  • Spent many years in cybersecurity for Israeli Intelligence Unit 8200, working on reverse engineering. Then worked for what looks like the biggest IT contractor for the IDF.
  • According to his CV, 2 years in an unnamed startup. During this time he gave 2 talks at security conferences, neither say an affiliation but found some slides where his bio slide says "Offensive Background. PhD candidate, mathematics. Algorithmic research for infosec".
  • Spent the 2 last years in this city as an independent consultant, reverse engineering in Android.
  • Answered my questions very briefly and like he was confused by all of them. Like "So you went part-time to start exploring computer vision, are you doing some hobby project, doing tutorials, coursework...what's your approach?" ... "uhh, yeah... some tutorials." Could barely tell me the name of a library he had tried using.

So, this is an op, right? Any suggestions for interacting with him or should I just disengage?

Yes, here I am bringing work-related cybersecurity issues to the Epstein thread. What have I come to?

first off: lmfao :captainpop:
second: either he's really a spy and acting on your correct guess will just get you owned insanely hard by him, or he's not a spy and you'll get owned insanely hard by yourself. its the bad, lose-lose kind of paranoia.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

spend :10bux: and get him an account

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is his name Jolly West? If yes I'd advise against moving forward

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Suck his dick

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tell him to go on chapo

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
besides, if he's been sending you emails with attachments or w/e, he may already have what he wants and not care about the job lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jose posted:

Suck his dick

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Zodium posted:

emergence is unpredictable, not uncontrollable. we can imagine a hypothetical three letter agency called the Communism Control Program, whose mission it is to "control" communism. it's just a dumb monitor, because that's all it has to be. it monitors the rate of communisms emerging, and whether that rate falls within some goldilocks interval. our ccp doesn't try to predict or force anything to happen. it doesn't need to. it also only has two outputs: 'boot' and 'fund'. whenever our ccp detects there's too much communism, it starts putting the boot down on human faces--randomly--until the value comes back into the goldilocks interval. if there's not enough communism, the ccp funds some podcasts or movements--also randomly--until the value comes back up. the more off the value gets, the harder it boots or funds. that's it.

by holding the value in this goldilocks interval, the larger system the ccp exists within, Capital, receives continuous immunization against new evolutions of threats to its stability from communism. the ccp in turn receives feedback from capital about how its handling of communism is affecting system stability and move the goldilocks interval for communism accordingly. we ensure that communism neither goes critical nor goes away. even though this ccp itself is basically a more complex thermostat with only very rudimentary intelligence, by "controlling" communism in this way, it nonetheless works to ensure system stability is never seriously threatened by communism, all while appearing to a rational outside actor looking at any set of events as if it's randomly funding and oppressing stuff.

in the real world, of course, gradually since the late 40s, we've grown a rich and complex ecosystem of thermostats filling different control niches at every conceivable scale, each adapted to control a particular threat, all coordinated around the organizing principle of maximum profit.

i like

nut
Jul 30, 2019

also, they're just like us!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

nut posted:

also, they're just like us!

I'm howling at dude's face, it's perfect

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its like when people defected from the USSR and then realised the propaganda about homeless people was true

FlickWilson
Apr 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9523465/Feds-backup-plan-ARREST-Derek-Chauvin-court-cleared-killing-George-Floyd.html

Crack-Ping

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

when he is suicided in prison at least it will be plausible that he knew how to kneel with force

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

inferis posted:

when he is suicided in prison at least it will be plausible that he knew how to kneel with force

nah cops in jail get special protection

think more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQV6CijIzrc

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

By suicided I mean suicided without camera footage and secretly released

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Zodium posted:

so what ur saying is cspam is a cia honeypot and i should stop posting

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

don’t hire him because he’s not a student. lots of people and actors are very interested in computer vision for all kinds of reasons. anyone you hire could learn about computer vision and move elsewhere later.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

mdemone posted:

Carlos Marcello was a major mob boss in Louisiana & surrounding areas. You'll also hear the name of Sam Traficante who was a big boss in Florida.

PuErhTeabag posted:

Since nobody replied to the name I recognize, Casolaro is the journalist who was looking into Inslaw/PROMIS and allegedly committed suicide by slashing both wrists in a hotel bathtub where he was supposed to be meeting someone related to his investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Casolaro

I took a little time off from this thread for my sanity. Just wanted to say thanks for the responses.

lmao if the meme about tossing car batteries in the ocean were an op.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CrimesUsa/status/1378018171454595076?s=19

Anyone know what this is about?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ask him what his opinion on i/p is

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Australian-American_War#:~:text=The%20Australian-American%20War%20was,and%20Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20V.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
ngl tim dillon on the free ghis shirt is pretty funny

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I think Tim Dillon discussed how fat puberty ages you to 40 at 18, but he never discussed how every now and then you just end up looking 18 years old at40

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wtf is fat puberty?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Suplex Liberace posted:

Wtf is fat puberty?

I think it's a FUPA

edit: or a gunt, if you prefer

nut
Jul 30, 2019

a reminder why governor-generals still exist in countries that make fun of how useless and antiquated they r

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Lmao the Dersh!

Also the reference to Kevin Spacey made me do a brief check of his background. Back when he got me too'd, and it was revealed his father was a neo-Nazi child rapist, people were like "ohhh, that explains it." (source)

I kinda half expected the father, Thomas Geoffrey Fowler, irl Hitler cosplayer, to be an asset at an intelligence alphabet front company. But unless being a tech writer/data consultant at the Rockwell Corporation was somehow a front, I dunno (source).

Given some of this thread's revelations, I feel like the whole "Hollyweird" thing that Spacey was part of is somehow more nefarious, at institutionalized pedophilia intelligence mob levels.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Not expecting much, but I got a copy of that Bitten book about the origins of weaponized Lyme's Disease. I just finished a pretty non-thread-relevant book on infamous neuroscience Patient H.M. that I was really impressed with so i will ride this conspiratorial pop sci writer train until it disappoints me yet again

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nut posted:

Not expecting much, but I got a copy of that Bitten book about the origins of weaponized Lyme's Disease. I just finished a pretty non-thread-relevant book on infamous neuroscience Patient H.M. that I was really impressed with so i will ride this conspiratorial pop sci writer train until it disappoints me yet again

what's the h.m. book

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

inferis posted:

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Zodium posted:

what's the h.m. book

Patient H.M. by Luke Dittrich (journalist and grandson of William Scoville who lesioned H.M.). It's got a lot of personal digression that is very light and easy reading but his reveal that Suzanne Corkin moved to try and hide the additional frontal brain lesion H.M. had accrued apart from his canonical lesion, her admitting to destroying her own data records on H.M., and a shred of evidence that H.M. may have already had some of his patented memory deficits before the surgery are worth the price of admission alone.

It should be noted that MIT lawyers came out to deny everything, even when it's obviously true, and 200 scientists signed on their letter, which to me comes across as a, "you're not a scientists so just trust us on this one".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone ever shot an agent who broke into their house to try to suicide them? Presumably there'd be deniability that it was just a random burglar, but there could be traces.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

nut posted:

this is the epstein thread, we don't talk about numbers and the only shape we care about is the pentagon, bitch

[quote="PuErhTeabag" post="51431495
6"]
pentagrams too
[/quote]

I thought it was supposed to be an egg-shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chamale posted:

Has anyone ever shot an agent who broke into their house to try to suicide them? Presumably there'd be deniability that it was just a random burglar, but there could be traces.

the people who perform this service are professionals.

if you don't have a small time window to work in, you can do an arbitrarily good job of framing a suicide.