Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Argas posted:

I only have the early Takemikazuchi non-scales and they're pretty typical koto kits where there's not a lot of clever engineering and you basically need a stand. I found the joints bad at best, loose for the limbs but too tight for the thruster packs. Looking on 1999/Dalong's pics the 1.5 non-scales later include and fix a lot of things, from completely replacing several joints (1.0's basic hip ball joints to something more complicated, new ankle joint and ankle pieces, etc.) to make it stand better and poo poo. There's additional things like new gun molds so you can swap out the short P90-esque bits for the long Famas-style rifle. I'd them satisfactory kits at best but muvluvs are sexy mechs.

Here's a pic of the naked kit from dalong.

Yeah I looked up the dalong review last night and the one thing that stood out to me is the seam on the upper thighs.

Is it that noticeable in practice or did something just go wrong for dalong? Because that stands out painfully to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Under less harsh light and with a matte coating they aren't as noticable but it's still pretty bad.

I'd also recommend getting some red to paint the diamond on it. They're all separate pieces so it's easy even to hand paint and it makes the whole kit work together a lot better than the translucent pieces

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MechaX posted:

I do *really* want to buy at least one MG for my first MG and I’m thinking a SEED suit for that. So far the MG Aegis and Blue Frame 2nd Revise speak to me the most. I guess there are other Blue Frame kits out there that look good to me; was always a bigger fan of the Blue Frame out of all Astrays. Any pitfalls/warnings to know ahead of time if I bite on either of these?

I've only made Blue Frame D (and a bunch of Red Frames) but the MG Astrays are really good solid builds.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah I looked up the dalong review last night and the one thing that stood out to me is the seam on the upper thighs.

Is it that noticeable in practice or did something just go wrong for dalong? Because that stands out painfully to me.

Looking at the other Takemikazuchi (both 1.0 and 1.5) on dalong's, it just seems to be a thing. I don't know where I stored my old muvluvs to check on those.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/texasfactory/status/1387461294182125568?s=19

man I wish bandai would make a updated zeta

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Debase yourself and settle of 1/144 scale, the Revive Zeta is a good kit.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Balache404 posted:

Do you guys have a preferred brand of sandpaper? I found what looked like good, high grit sandpaper from 3M but I would like y'all's opinion.

I've had very good results with the sanding sticks from Infini (which is rebranded Matador I think).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They need to just commit to not making the Zeta a transformable kit. Make a kit that has the MS config and another for the Wave Rider one so they can actually like work as models.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
You forget that all the people at Bandai that make these things are both Gundam nerds and engineering nerds.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Yawgmoft posted:

You forget that all the people at Bandai that make these things are both Gundam nerds and engineering nerds.

Those cowards need to make the RG ZZ already.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the revive zeta is very good, its only problem is the red trim on the binders is a sticker on the first release

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't they fix that for the Gunpla evolution project 0088 version of the Zeta so it was proper parts separation?

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't they fix that for the Gunpla evolution project 0088 version of the Zeta so it was proper parts separation?

Still looks like a lot of stickers looking at it on Dalong.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gundam1mg/status/1382950834200211459

more pics in the thread

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

YanniRotten posted:

Still looks like a lot of stickers looking at it on Dalong.

They flipped the stickers for the wing tips so it was black stickers on red plastic (easy to paint) instead of the original criminal red stickers on black.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there something in particular you have to do to get the stickers off an RG sheet? I'm close to finishing the Crossbone but none of the eye ones want to budge.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there something in particular you have to do to get the stickers off an RG sheet? I'm close to finishing the Crossbone but none of the eye ones want to budge.

first, make sure it's actually the sticker sheet and not the waterslides.

Second, not really, though I usually slip a blade or tweezer arm beneath them for gentle removal

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I was skeptical at first, but decal tweezers are the absolute bomb at getting stickers off the sheet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sea Lily posted:

first, make sure it's actually the sticker sheet and not the waterslides.

Second, not really, though I usually slip a blade or tweezer arm beneath them for gentle removal

RG's don't come with waterslides unless I've missed something in all these boxes, so it's just a question of slipping a blade in there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I was planning to do a thing with my Moon Gundam where I painted the backside of the semi-transparent pieces with metallic paint so they reflect light through. But when I tried a test on the runner for the Psycho Plate's red bits (I2), the paint just would not stick at all. It was like I was trying to paint some sort of hydrophobic surface, just astonishing behavior.

Before you ask, I did wash the runner earlier. Paint in question is Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminum, which I have a bunch of and used before.

Obviously priming won't work because I'm painting the back side.

Is there anything I can do?

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 2, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

And I imagine that Kazumi Fujita's name is cursed daily for his lack of engineering nerd chops. It says a lot that they had to bring in Okawara to go 'right, how the hell do we make this make sense?' (and no, I'm not making that up - he's officially credited with transformation planning for the design).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wdarkk posted:

Is there anything I can do?

Throw down a layer of matte coat. No promises, but that'd be a different surface you paint may adhere to better.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mllaneza posted:

Throw down a layer of matte coat. No promises, but that'd be a different surface you paint may adhere to better.

The matte will dull the metallic.

Probably easier to glue some foil down rather than trying to use shiny paint.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Probably easier to paint the part that the transparent piece goes into?

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Do RG come with dry rub transfers like some MG kits do? If so it could be those.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RG's only come with stickers. Unless it's a P-Bandai version, which sometimes come with waterslides.

Gundam stuff generally only comes with stickers these days as far as I can tell. Unless it's an MG Ver. Ka, which come with a ton of waterslides, or P-Bandai which may come with a few waterslides along with colour-correcting stickers.
I don't think Bandai really does dry transfers any more, I've only seen them with older MG's.

I still can't loving believe that Bandai doesn't put waterslides in PG kits. The PGU Grandpa and the MGEX Unicorn cost around the same and it's only the loving MG that has waterslides since it's a Ver. Ka. Bandai puts both waterslides and stickers in their Star Wars kits, but not their Gundam kits, it's annoying.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I bought a five dollar ultra mini millennium falcon model and it had waterslides.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

After some more experimenting, it turns out that while brushing on the paint absolutely will not work, airbrushing it works fine :confused:

Did a test to see how it would look, seems pretty decent although not a 100% improvement:

Painted is on the top. Fit was a little tight but ok.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Found a place to get P-Bandai stuff in Canada, so that's 80 bucks for the Sirbine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Found a place to get P-Bandai stuff in Canada, so that's 80 bucks for the Sirbine.

Got a link?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Got a link?

https://argamahobby.com/collections/premium-bandai

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Comparing some prices, it's a bit more expensive than Side Seven Exports and Omocha, but flat shipping is nice.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It would be nice not to wait 6 months before Side Seven ships anything and from what I hear 3 months of actual shipping.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azubah posted:

It would be nice not to wait 6 months before Side Seven ships anything and from what I hear 3 months of actual shipping.

It'd also be nice if they replied to my email asking if they could change my delivery address.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I bought a five dollar ultra mini millennium falcon model and it had waterslides.

Like all the Bandai Star Wars ships come identical sheets of waterslides and stickers.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Heads up for anyone interested, Hobby Lobby has model kits for 40% off and they usually have a couple gunpla in stock. Store nearest me looked like this (plus some pokemon and star wars bandai kits below):

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of long waits for kits, I just ordered a Nier flight unit.

It's a Koto kit, and the reviews have been positive, so I'm kind of excited for it.

Apparently, it's roughly in scale with the Hexa-gear kits and the new Sakura Wars stuff, which is nice. It's not quite a match for the little blindpacked stubbies, but those guys being hideously outmatched is kind of a default for them.

Been interested in this design since the game came out, so getting a decent looking model kit is pretty nice.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It'd also be nice if they replied to my email asking if they could change my delivery address.

Yeah the dude is poo poo at communication, I had to bug him a few times for order updates. So far he's not worth the hassle of dealing with.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So, two semi-related questions.

If I want to flat-coat a gunpla, is it ok to do it after I assemble it?

Second, what is the exact term for those alligator clips on wooden stakes, and where can I buy them cheaply in bulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

So, two semi-related questions.

If I want to flat-coat a gunpla, is it ok to do it after I assemble it?

Second, what is the exact term for those alligator clips on wooden stakes, and where can I buy them cheaply in bulk?

It is, though you might want to break it down as much as you can so the flat coat doesn't gum up the joints and freeze it into position.

It's much cheaper to make the clips by buying a bag of alligator clips, a bag of bamboo skewers from the grocery store, and some packets of blu tack/poster hanger.