Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of clip-on peddles, do those help with endurance when riding? I would imagine they do help because you can apply force with your legs on both the upstroke and downstroke of the peddle, meaning you can either apply about twice as much force over the same duration, or can apply the same force, but split it over two entirely separate muscle groups rather than just the muscles used for the downstroke?

As has been mentioned pulling up isnt really a thing, but pulling back at the dead point at the bottom of the stroke definitely is

You'd be surprised how much effort you save just by not having to physically keep your feet on the pedals though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Guinness posted:

The big reason is that it keeps your feet locked in the ideal position over time and over lovely surfaces and you no longer have to constantly micro-correct or think about your foot placement or slip off over a bump or something.

Just to be clear, it locks your foot in whatever position you have the cleat set up for whether it's good or bad. If you don't take some time and set it up to a decent position when you switch to clipless, you're doing yourself and your joints a massive disfavor. It took me a while after I switched to both find a decent spot and tighten the bolts enough that it didn't slip out of position. I don't think what I have set up is perfect yet, but it's close enough and it's a massive pain to make adjustments since there aren't any markings for me to line up.

Not slipping off is the #1 reason I got clipless--I've scraped my shins so many times on metal platform pedals.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I feel like pushing forward over the top is a thing too. Can you use clipless to specifically train hip flexors and hamstrings? I've certainly nuked my hamstrings pretty good trying to pull the upstroke.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I started riding cleated shoes (with straps) when I was 14 years old. Ball of my feet aligned with pedal axle. At the time I had flat feet.

That evolved to clip-less when the technology became available.

Well, amazingly this eventually cured my flat feet.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

I started riding cleated shoes (with straps) when I was 14 years old. Ball of my feet aligned with pedal axle. At the time I had flat feet.

That evolved to clip-less when the technology became available.

Well, amazingly this eventually cured my flat feet.

Selling me pretty hard as a flat footed man, will report back in a decade on arch shape.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gahmah posted:

Selling me pretty hard as a flat footed man, will report back in a decade on arch shape.

Took about a decade or so.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Just went for a ride and saw a man with a cockatoo chilling on his handlebars. Ride safe, friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Guinness posted:

I'd say yes they help with endurance, but not for the upstroke reason. That's mostly a falsehood except for extreme circumstances.

The big reason is that it keeps your feet locked in the ideal position over time and over lovely surfaces and you no longer have to constantly micro-correct or think about your foot placement or slip off over a bump or something. It's actually shocking how much of this you do without even realizing it. Ride clipless pedals for a while and go back to flats and its like WHOA this is super annoying to have to think about.

And yeah with low tension clipless pedals release super easily, and it becomes second nature to do the little heel flick to release very quickly. If you crash or whatever you'll be unclipped before you even hit the ground.

I switched from clips to flats on bikepacking races and will never go back. The rigid position gave me a lot of ankle/knee pain over mutli long riding days and that disappeared when I switched, so my endurance is a lot better now. I still ride and love clipless on the road but for endurance stuff flats have been a real game changer for my body.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

sat on my keys! posted:

Just went for a ride and saw a man with a cockatoo chilling on his handlebars. Ride safe, friends.

Hey, any noisemaker to warn pedestrians / children / dogs / etc. that you're coming up behind them is good. Not sure I'd want that RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK! RAAK RAAK RAAK RAAK RAAK! RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWKKKKKKKKkkkkkkk.... screaming 40 cm in front of my face, but to each their own I guess.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

Hey, any noisemaker to warn pedestrians / children / dogs / etc. that you're coming up behind them is good. Not sure I'd want that RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK! RAAK RAAK RAAK RAAK RAAK! RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWKKKKKKKKkkkkkkk.... screaming 40 cm in front of my face, but to each their own I guess.

This bird was chill as could be. Just sitting there and feeling the air in its feathers, didn't move at all or make a sound as I passed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It was dead, then. Theres no such thing as a quiet cockatoo.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Bottom Liner posted:

I switched from clips to flats on bikepacking races and will never go back. The rigid position gave me a lot of ankle/knee pain over mutli long riding days and that disappeared when I switched, so my endurance is a lot better now. I still ride and love clipless on the road but for endurance stuff flats have been a real game changer for my body.

I mountain bike in clipless, but flats rock for commuting. If I get into bikepacking someday, I'll probably go with flats there too.

I still have cages on my fixie because they match the old steel frame unlike straps.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did 50 mi today, a lot of road but a huge chunk was gravel and i did not bonk because i kept pounding clif bloks, unlike the last time i did this route

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Love to be a big sweaty boy

New thread title contender for sure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Personally I’m playing the how little can I spend game*; WD40 chain lube, tyres filled with slime, flat pedals that came with the bike - there is a 10mph speed limit on bikes where I ride and “bike calming measures”/dogs on extender leads so the bike culture here is super chill, some people spend thousands, some hundreds and no one judges anyone else. Apart from those packs of road bikers who come thundering along, because it showed green on Google maps, bullying everyone out the way on the canal path and then immediately hitting /\ after /\ everyone else can’t stand those guys.
e; it is very very funny that all the top Strava times were put in before all the metal obstacles.

*when this 15-20 year hybrid dies I got my eye on a flat bar gravel tourer, but it just won’t die

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 29, 2021

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

VideoGameVet posted:

New chain(s) (3 of them, this is the recumbent). Soaked in alcohol for a few weeks. I applied Super Secret on the bike itself, no soaking.

Super Secret now has a hot-wax version but I'll stick with the liquid for ease of re-application.
I think the idea was to hot-wax first then top up with the drip wax.

learnincurve posted:

Personally I’m playing the how little can I spend game*; WD40 chain lube, tyres filled with slime, flat pedals that came with the bike - there is a 10mph speed limit on bikes where I ride and “bike calming measures”/dogs on extender leads so the bike culture here is super chill, some people spend thousands, some hundreds and no one judges anyone else. Apart from those packs of road bikers who come thundering along, because it showed green on Google maps, bullying everyone out the way on the canal path and then immediately hitting /\ after /\ everyone else can’t stand those guys.
e; it is very very funny that all the top Strava times were put in before all the metal obstacles.

*when this 15-20 year hybrid dies I got my eye on a flat bar gravel tourer, but it just won’t die
I recycle old candles, in my slow cooker that cost £6 of Facebook market place.
I picked up a hybrid that was put out for the bin men.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can pick up Continental and Schwalbe hybrid tyres off of eBay for about £13 a pair as people rip them off their brand new bikes to put more expensive ones on.

(Not to say my life wouldn’t be considerably improved by spending the money on decent gravel tyres but that would be cheating the game)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

frogbs posted:

:hmmyes:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Bottom Liner posted:

Just out of curiosity, but did you try a bike fit to make the clipless shoes work better for you?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

frogbs posted:

sorry but the new thread title is “drill the frame”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

rngd in the womb posted:

Just out of curiosity, but did you try a bike fit to make the clipless shoes work better for you?

I’m not convinced a fit is going to help with 600km of off road jolts going directly through your knees tbh.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

jolts going directly through your knees

well there's your issue, you want the jolts going through your butt not your knees. A bike fit would absolutely fix that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

learnincurve posted:

I’m not convinced a fit is going to help with 600km of off road jolts going directly through your knees tbh.

um what :psyduck:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh yeah I hit 42mph on a half mile downhill gravel trail and it was equal parts terror and exciting

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Anything but flat pedals destroy my knees, :shrug: I’ve always just assumed my fit is being able to move my feet around when it starts to get uncomfortable in one position.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

On one hand, 600km bikepacking races are pretty outside the norm of bike usage so I can see it being an exception to general advice

On the other hand, if you're doing 600km bikepacking races good god get a professional fit done

BraveUlysses posted:

oh yeah I hit 42mph on a half mile downhill gravel trail and it was equal parts terror and exciting

hell yea brother

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 29, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

learnincurve posted:

Anything but flat pedals destroy my knees, :shrug: I’ve always just assumed my fit is being able to move my feet around when it starts to get uncomfortable in one position.

it probably lets your feet find a more comfortable position but doubt it has anything to do with them being "jolted" and messing up your knees

well adjust clipless system might also work just fine if it lets you find the sweet spot

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I post about the hybrid a lot but I’ve been riding MTB with flat pedals across the Peak District and the Pennines since the 1980s and have literally no desire to have my feet stuck to the pedals in any way shape or form, I’m not that good, my reactions aren’t that fast and that’s OK. Someone has to be in the bottom 50 to make the top 10 mean something :) .

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I wasn't suggesting that you should switch, sorry, was more of a "other people may find that a clipless setup will work for them with a good fit" kind of comment

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

learnincurve posted:

I post about the hybrid a lot but I’ve been riding MTB with flat pedals across the Peak District and the Pennines since the 1980s and have literally no desire to have my feet stuck to the pedals in any way shape or form, I’m not that good, my reactions aren’t that fast and that’s OK. Someone has to be in the bottom 50 to make the top 10 mean something :) .

Lots of people on this forum ride flats while MTBing. Not sure if you have the impression that its a rare thing but it isnt.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Levitate posted:

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that you should switch, sorry, was more of a "other people may find that a clipless setup will work for them with a good fit" kind of comment

It’s one of those things where if it works for you it works extraordinarily well and that’s awesome

vikingstrike posted:

Lots of people on this forum ride flats while MTBing. Not sure if you have the impression that its a rare thing but it isnt.

That wasn’t the conversation though.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

learnincurve posted:

It’s one of those things where if it works for you it works extraordinarily well and that’s awesome

That wasn’t the conversation though.

Sorry, your posts read to me as using flats in the use case you do is unique and I was just pointing out thats lots of people do it. And tbf to myself your posts really had nothing with the original question either.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 29, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My point was that if someone is doing 600km races on a MTB and prefers flats for it then it’s safe to assume that they have already had a bike fit, presumably after the first 100km ride.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

learnincurve posted:

My point was that if someone is doing 600km races on a MTB and prefers flats for it then it’s safe to assume that they have already had a bike fit, presumably after the first 100km ride.

I'm pretty sure it's a gravel bike, fwiw.
I know folks who are conti pros who haven't ever had competent bike fits - there are a lot of people who you'd think should've had a bike fit who haven't. :shrug:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, I was just asking about bike fits because I wanted to know if Bottom Liner had tried a bike fit and that just wasn't enough to address their issue. Yeah though, 600km of riding will wreck havoc on the body no matter what. Just going out and doing that right away would be a ridiculous idea and most likely lead to injury if you're not trained enough. Based on his post history, it's clear that Bottom Liner can handle this type of riding. It's just interesting to me because I love clipless systems for long distance riding and can't imagine putting in the miles I do on flats. Also, I'm not going to assume anything about a person aside from what I can read in their posts.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

bicievino posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a gravel bike, fwiw.
I know folks who are conti pros who haven't ever had competent bike fits - there are a lot of people who you'd think should've had a bike fit who haven't. :shrug:

Didn’t Sepp admit that he never had a bike fit until he joined Jumbo Visma?

I’ve never had a bike fit and have just changed things slowly over time. And know more or less how to match similar set-ups across the bikes I have.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had a weird experience picking my bike up from the shop today. There was some miscommunication when I dropped it off -- I thought I had an appointment for a basic service, but they were completely surprised. I hated to be that customer, so three weeks later I called them up and asked if I could pick the bike up on Thursday, regardless of whether they'd done the work or not. They busted their butts and got it done, and I really appreciate that.

As a thank you, I picked up two four-packs of nice beer from the brewery down the street to thank them. The tech who worked on my bike, turns out he doesn't drink. Neither does one of the guys who work in the showroom. I thought the velominati forbade such degenerate behavior!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

vikingstrike posted:

Didn’t Sepp admit that he never had a bike fit until he joined Jumbo Visma?

These 80 VO2Max motherfuckers out here just doing whatever and absolutely destroying normal roadies trying to their best to marginal gains their way out of midpack.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

kimbo305 posted:

These 80 VO2Max motherfuckers out here just doing whatever and absolutely destroying normal roadies trying to their best to marginal gains their way out of midpack.

If folks haven't seen Primoz Roglic in his early bike racing:

A mountain bike, running shoes and flat pedals, kickstand, and still shredding serious roadies. True talent really separates people.