Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GreenNight posted:

I go to Menards and they have a fuckload of appliances on the floor saying "no wait", but yeah I tried to buy a bed and they said 6 months.

And this is why I got a sofa from Ikea. Was at another furniture gallery this weekend and they told me it could be up to an 18 week wait for certain models, lol.

Anyway my new TV just arrived. Went with the Sony X900H 65". Costco/Amazon just discounted it pretty good. Can't wait to unbox it later. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I thought I'd be staying with Sony but even the 950H doesn't have the VRR that was a big selling point for me so I went TCL. Had to use an old, suspect HDMI cable to connect the AVR to the TV because the inputs were on the opposite side as before, and the XSX picked it up right away and asked me to turn on the VRR which was cool.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" BX+$150 Visa GC $1,797 shipped - includes 2 year CPS accidental extended warranty

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Question about TV height. My TV stand is 23.5" and I plan to get a new center speaker that would need to be on top so the TV (LG 65" C7) would have to be mounted above that. The speaker is 8.3" tall, so the bottom of the TV would be at least 31.8" off the floor. The top of the TV would be at about 64" then.

My eye level sitting up right in the main spot on the couch is roughly 37" off the floor. If I'm laying down then it's only about 27". I sit about 9.5 feet away. Is that TV mount going to be too high? How should I calculate all this? I'm wondering if I need a shorter TV stand. If I ever got a bigger TV I imagine it would be even more of an issue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mounted my speaker below as I didn't want it that high, being above the TV. Its all at a good level now as it is

(shut up I fixed the cables after)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Doggles posted:

For my Android TV, I turned off auto-updates and just update everything manually except for the Android TV Home app. In app options there should be a setting to uninstall recent updates to roll back to a previous version. That's something I had to do a few weeks after getting my TV and it auto-updated to a home screen filled with ads.

EDIT:
More detailed instructions if this is the same update that's rolled out to your TV and not something new that might be hitting my TV as well. :ohdear:
https://9to5google.com/2020/08/18/android-tv-homescreen-ads-turn-off-staff-picks/

Cheers (and sorry for late response). Yeah I guess it rolled around to Phillips just now... Its not as obnoxious now and is mainly headlining nature docs, but will go to work on it if it worsens.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

codo27 posted:

(shut up I fixed the cables after)

It’s not the cables that bug me, it’s the non-centered-ness of it all. This would drive me insane

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I measured the distance between shelf and door and centered that instead of doing between the speakers. I never think things through properly

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

codo27 posted:

I measured the distance between shelf and door and centered that instead of doing between the speakers. I never think things through properly

Your TV literally has a mark where the center of it is, you didn't really need to measure anything :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The speaker shelf was put up second, thats the thing I hosed up. And after a big living room renovation including moving the door thats to the right (from about where the TV is now) I'm not interested in moving the shelf for a while and having to gently caress with touching up the holes and paint.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, I hosed up. I installed a recessed plug to go behind my wall mount tv but the plug for the cable box is a goddamn fat wallwart. I wanted to originally mount it behind the tv to hide cables but not now. I will probably have to get a little conduit now to hide the wires which isn't the ugliest thing but defeats a clean setup.

Builder was supposed to build a inwall conduit but said it since this was an outside wall it wouldn't work. :/

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Can't you just get some of those 6" power extensions?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^thats what I get for waiting so long to refresh :argh:

Vintersorg posted:

Man, I hosed up. I installed a recessed plug to go behind my wall mount tv but the plug for the cable box is a goddamn fat wallwart. I wanted to originally mount it behind the tv to hide cables but not now. I will probably have to get a little conduit now to hide the wires which isn't the ugliest thing but defeats a clean setup.

Builder was supposed to build a inwall conduit but said it since this was an outside wall it wouldn't work. :/

Could you use something like this to offset it enough to tuck it behind the TV or into the mount? https://www.target.com/p/philips-3-outlet-surge-protector-with-1-ft-extension-cord-gray-and-white/-/A-77596037

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The real solution is just to get a new TV.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sirotan posted:

^^^thats what I get for waiting so long to refresh :argh:

Could you use something like this to offset it enough to tuck it behind the TV or into the mount? https://www.target.com/p/philips-3-outlet-surge-protector-with-1-ft-extension-cord-gray-and-white/-/A-77596037

That might work! I’m in Canada so I’ll see if Home Depot or even Amazon has a little extension. I can use a 3M to stick it to stuff.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got my new tv and I'm loving around with my bias lighting and I'm very sad to discover that the USB ports on Sony Bravias (every model for the last at least 6 years) will randomly power on and off while the TV is off. So now I gotta power this thing via external adapter and turn it on with its remote like a shlub. :smith:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Sirotan posted:

Got my new tv and I'm loving around with my bias lighting and I'm very sad to discover that the USB ports on Sony Bravias (every model for the last at least 6 years) will randomly power on and off while the TV is off. So now I gotta power this thing via external adapter and turn it on with its remote like a shlub. :smith:
Isn't there an Eco Mode or something to turn off?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kliras posted:

Isn't there an Eco Mode or something to turn off?

Nope! There are various suggested settings that I could find but none of them actually turned the lights off when I turned the TV off.

jaadee
May 3, 2013
A simple solution if your setup supports it is to plug the bias lights into your soundbar.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

jaadee posted:

A simple solution if your setup supports it is to plug the bias lights into your soundbar.

Did not go the soundbar route. My receiver is a bit older and doesn't have any USB ports either. I looked into a current-sensing power strip (TV plugs into one outlet, power strip senses when it is on and turns the other outlets on, turns them off when the TV goes off) but apparently the Bravias never actually turn off all the way no matter what power settings you use so this wouldn't work either. A friend suggested a smart outlet but then I am pressing a button on my phone which doesn't really get me much over pressing a button on the tiny remote that came with the thing.

There are LED light strips with IR controllers that you could then program your universal remote to power off but this just has a RF remote, I don't have a universal remote either.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

Moved in to my new place, the projector definitely doesn't fit here, so it's time to get a new TV now.

Here's my old 52LG60 "Scarlet" for a size reference, the main chassis is 50.4" wide and 35.3" tall .

edit: I bought the 65" CX. gently caress this is a beautiful TV.

How is the sound compared to Scarlet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MikusR posted:

How is the sound compared to Scarlet.

Both are decent for built-in speakers, but nothing special.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So my system is components->AVR->TV. Everything is fine on the Shield, but on the Xbox, theres noticeable av desync and with netflix theres this digital graininess thats appearing all over the screen. Could be the HDMI cable but its the new Series X I gave gf for christmas and I'm pretty sure its the cable that came with it that we're using.

So hilarious to me that my TV has a native 120hz panel but cant do 4k @120hz? Wont matter for a while yet but still dumb

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Weird question, but do any modern TVs have blue light filters? Like flux or night mode on a smartphone

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Weird question, but do any modern TVs have blue light filters? Like flux or night mode on a smartphone

My CX has "Eye Comfort Mode" which does more or less the same thing as f.lux. Not sure if that extends to the LCDs or is exclusive to the OLEDs. Wouldn't surprise me to find out others have a similar feature.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Not certain, but I think a lot of tvs have a way to set the color to "warm" which looks like flux to me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My C1 had this option for game mode and also just normal picture settings as well. I haven't used it though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Cool, thanks for the answers!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Setting your TV to a warmer setting is more color accurate to how films are shown in theaters anyway.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is oled really that good? In the market for my first 4k and for someone who only watches some YouTube, Netflix rarely and mainly uses it to play Switch/Steam link would I notice it? Been on a 1080 display for the past 5-6 years so I don’t know. Input lag is probably my biggest important factor. Found some decent $500 LG/Vizio lcd panels on rtings but I don’t think I have a Best Buy near me anymore to look in person.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Social Animal posted:

Is oled really that good?
Yes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Never judge how a TV looks by the way it is set up in a store like Best Buy.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Figured especially with how often the lg c9 comes up on gaming sites.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I went to Best Buy anyways cause I don’t have friends with nice TVs. That OLED was incredible, got the LG CX arriving Wednesday. Anything I should enable/disable in the settings? I know I’ll install latest firmware and maybe do that calibration via Apple TV.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The Apple TV calibration is disabled in Dolby vision mode. Rtings has a good settings guide.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

KS posted:

The Apple TV calibration is disabled in Dolby vision mode. Rtings has a good settings guide.

Thanks I’ll do some reading there so I’m ready when it arrives.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My wife to be just said the TV looks too small now that I got a bigger sub and added a second. Is this a dream? Currently have a C7 65". When it comes to CX vs C1, I remember reading that the 1 might have an important new CPU but that it's only in the G1 or something?

Is father's day a common sale time? I bought the C7 using greentoe to get a non advertised deal. Are there still tricks like that? These 77" are insanely expensive.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

My wife to be just said the TV looks too small now that I got a bigger sub and added a second. Is this a dream? Currently have a C7 65". When it comes to CX vs C1, I remember reading that the 1 might have an important new CPU but that it's only in the G1 or something?

Is father's day a common sale time? I bought the C7 using greentoe to get a non advertised deal. Are there still tricks like that? These 77" are insanely expensive.

How has your C7 held up wrt burn in and such? I’m imminently replacing my 2010 panny plasma and a 77” Cx or C1 are looking like the thing.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

How has your C7 held up wrt burn in and such? I’m imminently replacing my 2010 panny plasma and a 77” Cx or C1 are looking like the thing.

No burn in as far as I can tell. This TV would just move upstairs into the living room we're furnishing now that we have been in the house for almost a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

From what I read, the CX and C1 have the same panels. C1 has a newer CPU (presumably faster?) and a newer version of WebOS, but that's mostly it. The G1 does have a newer panel.