Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So is Mortis worth reading? I need something new after Penitent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Prospero Burns was nothing at all what I expected but one hell of a ride, wow.

It's been years since I read it but I remember being like, this is boring during during the first third of the book. Then at the end I was like holy poo poo!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cyrene is also actaea, the random cultist woman who betrayed lorgar in slaves to darkness and had Horus exile him. My own theory is that she did this because lorgar was right: Horus lacked the will to win the heresy, Lorgar might have done it, and she secretly does not want Chaos to win.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Miguel Prado posted:

So is Mortis worth reading? I need something new after Penitent

The one with the Navigators was v.deece, as were the Warhammer Crime books. The Shira Calpurnia trilogy was pretty good.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

All the siege books are worth reading at least once imo.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

D-Pad posted:

Oh poo poo that's right! remember she became a perpetual in one of the ADB HH books and I think the cabal helped her in some way as well. Maybe they aren't as dead as Eldrad thinks. It makes sense she would become the ur-radical of the inquisition, in the hive city she is definitely using chaos but doesn't seem to be on chaos side

I'd characterize it more as "third-way warp" rather than Chaos, really. It seems to be where they're going between Mortis, the Bequin series, and whatever the hell is in Alpharius (I get my copy by Friday!).

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'd characterize it more as "third-way warp" rather than Chaos, really. It seems to be where they're going between Mortis, the Bequin series, and whatever the hell is in Alpharius (I get my copy by Friday!).

There's nothing in Alpharius about special warp stuff or a third way

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

re third way chaos: The Horusian trilogy (duology?) prominently features folks "ascending" into warp capable beings, and its never played as a chaos thing, more like actual ascension to a higher plane kind of thing.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
That Dreadnaught on Dreadnaught fight at the end of Soul Hunter. Jeeeesus Christ.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skulk Hogan posted:

That Dreadnaught on Dreadnaught fight at the end of Soul Hunter. Jeeeesus Christ.

It's my favorite duel in all the books.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"Even in death, I will avenge myself."

"You deserve the chance, Raguel."

I'm not sure what my favorite duel is. Probably Abaddon and Sigismund in the second Black Legion book. "You will die as your weakling father did. Soulless. Honourless. Weeping. Ashamed."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Preorder of Alpharius finally arrived. Digging it so far. I love the smaller format hardcover, I wish they were all this way.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I always really enjoyed the duel between Xarl and Tolemion. Usually the actual violence in 40k books is just snoozeworthy, but ADB’s action scenes always hit harder for me somehow.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lawdog69 posted:

I always really enjoyed the duel between Xarl and Tolemion. Usually the actual violence in 40k books is just snoozeworthy, but ADB’s action scenes always hit harder for me somehow.

Okay yeah, I forgot about that one. That one is the best.

"I knew that warrior, and I know that he died as he lived. With courage, honor, and knowing no fear."

"I know these warriors. They are First Claw, and I know that they'll die as they lived: trying to run away."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I love the attitude of First Claw: knowing how bad they suck, aggressively maintaining that everyone else sucks just as bad, but secretly afraid that it’s just them

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I love the attitude of First Claw: knowing how bad they suck, aggressively maintaining that everyone else sucks just as bad, but secretly afraid that it’s just them

I mean thats most factions in 40k besides nids and orks i guess.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Normally the space battles in these things are pretty dry too but Blackened vs Vengeful Spirit had me pretty on edge.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
The four book Genevieve omnibus is a really good deal - four full novels, over 1000 pages of old world awesomeness. If you haven't read them highly recommended.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Working through Mortis and it's actually really cool seeing the original Inquisitors get together and try to do their job, with the context that in a thousand years this will all have gone horribly wrong.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The opening lines of Alpharius were just perfect. So perfect that I laughed quite a while upon reading them.

I am Alpharius.
This is a lie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Mark of Faith is a good book but

Since when is that true of inquisitors? lol

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

orphean posted:

The four book Genevieve omnibus is a really good deal - four full novels, over 1000 pages of old world awesomeness. If you haven't read them highly recommended.

I have a paperback Genevieve omnibus published in 2005, where Kim Newman is credited as "Jack Yeovil," and the contents are Drachenfels, Genevieve Undead, Beasts in Velvet, and Silver Nails. Is it the same content in this new omnibus, or has Newman written some new material?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mark of Faith is a good book but

Since when is that true of inquisitors? lol
Always. That is an idea completely compatible with the Imperium's brand of Space Fascism. The average citizen is weak and fearful, and the brave Inquisitors make the Tough Choices to ensure their safety.

On aggregate.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It depends on the Inquisitor and their mentors as well, a rare few of them will start out genuinely heroic, we don't read about them as much, and a big theme in all the Inquisitor related books is that the job makes them take more drastic actions as they age, which gets hosed up whichever direction they take it.

But I can see a young Inquisitor with a Puritan mentor starting out with that type of ethos. It would definitely fit in a session of Dark Heresy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
None of them will ever believe that they are not upholding that ideal. That's the point of the stories about Inquisitors going rogue and falling.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

None of them will ever believe that they are not upholding that ideal. That's the point of the stories about Inquisitors going rogue and falling.

I dunno, there are also Inquisitors that have contempt for the "weak" as that quote puts it, and only care about their duty to the Imperium in the abstract, not to any of the actual people within it. Which could be argued to be true of the Emperor as well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arquinsiel posted:

Further to the other point, some are in service to the Emperor, and regard civilians as lives to be spent. They get along with the Tau, because they’re motivated by the “greater good“. Emperor’s Gift actually does a good job of showing that, with the post-Armageddon Months of Shame.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A statement that broad and vague can validate all kinds of people and ideology, from Hitler and the complete opposite of Hitler*.

*I dunno, Gilgamesh?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The Inquistion and all the secrecy and poo poo imo is based on the fact that a person is smart and people are dumb and if you just outright started explaining all the warp and chaos god poo poo 99% of the people would be cautious as gently caress but the 1% would be going "Nah Im way smarter then all of you" and then their head would explode and summon a warp rift that devours an entire planet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I dunno, there are also Inquisitors that have contempt for the "weak" as that quote puts it, and only care about their duty to the Imperium in the abstract, not to any of the actual people within it. Which could be argued to be true of the Emperor as well.
"The Imperium in the abstract" must encapsulate the weak, because there must be masses in need of a firm hand or fascism doesn't make sense even to fascists.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"A person is smart, people are dumb panicky animals." -Inquisitor K

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
15000 years ago everybody knew the Men of Iron were the greatest threat to mankind. 5000 years ago everybody knew the Tau were an insignificant xenos nuisance, and 15 minutes ago you knew that humanity was alone on this planet.

Imagine what the genestealers will know tomorrow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arcsquad12 posted:

15000 years ago everybody knew the Men of Iron were the greatest threat to mankind. 5000 years ago everybody knew the Tau were an insignificant xenos nuisance, and 15 minutes ago you knew that humanity was alone on this planet.

Imagine what the genestealers will know tomorrow.

"huh, turns out the Hive Mind is just a biological engine dedicating to making Weird Dogs"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Regarding that link to the story of Ian Watson and Stanley Kubrick,
https://www.ianwatson.info/plumbing-stanley-kubrick/

quote:

What a magpie Stanley was, seizing on whatever I might mention. A book I owned about The Criminal Prosecution and Capital Punishment of Animals: he must borrow it. Papal Indulgences; and I was faxing him information. I had written a novel entitled Inquisitor set in the wacky far-future world of Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000; he wanted a pre-publication printout right away. “Who knows, Ian?” he mused. “Maybe this is my next movie?” I arranged for Games Workshop to send him samples of their games and artwork and obtained for him from fantasy artist Ian Miller a portfolio of drawings of monsters. Anything could be grist to the mill, now or at some future date.

Jesus loving Christ. Never mind the Napoleon project, we could have had a Stanley Kubrick 40K movie written by Ian Watson ?

Truly, this is the cursed timeline

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stanley Kubrick's SPACE MARINE

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Stanley Kubrick's SPACE MARINE

Sphincters Wide Shut.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ninurta posted:

Sphincters Wide Shut.

The Fisting

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Full Ceramite Jacket

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

30,001: A Space Crusade

An Augmetic Orange

Dr. Exterminatus

Alpharius

Lelith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I was going to make a joke about A.I/Machine Spirit but that actually was written in part by Ian Watson :psyduck: