Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Mix. posted:

From what I found on the website, it would appear that in this setting crime rates are significantly higher and as such there is an 'Detective Alliance' organization, funded by the government, who get resources and financing that independents do not. The protagonist is rank 100 as he is still in high school and part of his kidnapping to be taken to the island is him receiving the news that he's been accepted into their ranks. The one guy who doesn't have a rank was apparently one of the founding members who is retired from detective work.

I just want to say this setting is cribbed almost verbatim from the (officially canon) Young Kyoko Kirigiri novel series which, perhaps surprisingly, are also some of the strangest stories set in the Danganronpa universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thinking about the worst visual novels I've read and shockingly, Chaos Head isn't at the very, very bottom

It's I/O

I managed to actually finish Chaos Head, I gave up on I/O after ten hours...

What visual novels didn't gel with you?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Because of the time and effort needed to translate a VN, for the most part I feel there is a natural curation to what gets released and as a result there's almost never been a VN that I just straight up wanted to nope out of and not finish. However, in the early days of VN fan TLs you had a lot more people and groups that I feel were only working on what they personally liked and thus had a lot more variance in quality (also many of which would be NSFW). Without getting too in the weeds in this, the supposed all-ages thread, I'll just mention Cross Channel and Swan Song as being two that got talked up a lot (mostly from the group that TLed Muv-Luv, as they had a VN review page) that did not work for me at all. Cross Channel's main writer was/is notable and I think a lot of people go to that VN for that but I did not enjoy it at the time just the same.

Going off of the bottom of my vndb list Layton vs. Wright, YU-NO, and Remember11 are also in that conversation but I've definitely seen people defend those from time to time (usually more for the historical importance of YU-NO).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 29, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mix. posted:

Anyone here seen the social deduction/murder mystery game NIS announced back in February? Name roughly translates to 'Detective Elimination' and is apparently about a group of 14 top detectives (each an expert in a specific field/focus of investigation) who've been gathered on a remote island to try and uncover the identity of a serial killer that's among them. I'm hoping since it's a NIS game it'll get localized since they have a pretty devoted Western fanbase, but you can never tell with these kind of things (I'm looking at you, Exile Election and Net High)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDTp2ULdoF8

NIS does a ton of VNs and they never get localised and I've no idea why

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nate RFB posted:

Going off of the bottom of my vndb list Layton vs. Wright, YU-NO, and Remember11 are also in that conversation but I've definitely seen people defend those from time to time (usually more for the historical importance of YU-NO).

I like YU-NO a lot until the very end, historical significance or not. Boy howdy that last few hours just dumpsters it though.

As for me, uh the most enjoyment I got out of anything to do with 07th Expansion was porting Casey and Friends to VNDS back in 2008 or whatever, honestly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Because of the time and effort needed to translate a VN, for the most part I feel there is a natural curation to what gets released and as a result there's almost never been a VN that I just straight up wanted to nope out of and not finish. However, in the early days of VN fan TLs you had a lot more people and groups that I feel were only working on what they personally liked and thus had a lot more variance in quality (also many of which would be NSFW). Without getting too in the weeds in this, the supposed all-ages thread, I'll just mention Cross Channel and Swan Song as being two that got talked up a lot (mostly from the group that TLed Muv-Luv, as they had a VN review page) that did not work for me at all. Cross Channel's main writer was/is notable and I think a lot of people go to that VN for that but I did not enjoy it at the time just the same.

You can safely ignore everything Tanaka Romeo has ever done except for Humanity Has Declined (LN/Anime) which is great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can safely ignore everything Tanaka Romeo has ever done except for Humanity Has Declined (LN/Anime) which is great.

..you know I would not have pegged that the same guy was behind Swan Song, Kana, Cross Channel, YMK and Humanity has Declined.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Sharkitten posted:

Thinking about the worst visual novels I've read and shockingly, Chaos Head isn't at the very, very bottom

It's I/O

I've certainly read far worse VNs than I/O but I/O holds a special place with me in terms of "I want to like this, I like some of what it's doing, but the process of getting anywhere is excruciating..." so I eventually decided that my personal interpretation of the story thus far was what it was "really" about and bailed.

So I still don't hate it, but then, I'm completely convinced that the version of the game in my head is the real game.

The one game I just cannot make myself get through, even though it's short and harmless, is Nekopara. I boot it up and TRY to read it and my brain starts attacking my eyeballs from within and I have to stop.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I thought he did most of the parts of Rewrite that were good, though.

I've read some bad VNs, but I'll call out Never7 as a really bad entry in a good series.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I played the yu-no remake and my least favorite part was easily when the setting changed and it just killed all the momentum dead for me(I stopped playing for 2-3 months at that point). Took me so long to power through to when the story picked up again, though the last bit of the ending was also kinda not great.

In short, I liked it well enough as a historical artifact and I think on the whole I liked it. But I totally get why people don’t like it. I definitely wouldn’t recommend to anyone who wasn’t interested in seeing where vn tropes and ideas originated from.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

NIS does a ton of VNs and they never get localised and I've no idea why

Because VNs are relatively cheap to make, but expensive to localize, and they think it's not worth it for the amount of sales they expect to get.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Sharkitten posted:

It's I/O

Yeah, I/O is pretty bad. I remember just giving up on it partway through E or F or whatever it was by that point.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
After finishing up Chaos;Child, I’m looking for recommendations on what visual novel to play next. I’ll name a few that I’m considering, then provide an updated list of the ones I’ve finished along with the vote I gave them on VNDB to give you an idea of the ones I liked. I own a Vita (RIP), a Switch, and a GPD Win, so Steam/PC only-releases are OK. Thanks!

At the moment, I’m considering: Ever 17, A.I. The Somnium Files, Robotics;Notes & Robotics;Notes Dash, 428 Shibuya Scramble, and Raging Loop.

I’m not going anywhere near Ciconia until all episodes have been released and I need a longer break from Ryukishi07 before diving into Higurashi, so those two are out for now.

Finished VNs:

Steins;Gate – 10 Still my favorite. I doubt anything will ever top it.

Phoenix Wright 1 – 10 You cross-examine a parrot in this game and it makes complete sense in context with what’s happening in the story. What other grade can I give it?

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors – 9.5 Best ending to a VN I’ve seen after Steins;Gate.

Umineko – 9 I gave this an 8 originally, but while reviewing this list I felt it needed an upgrade despite the minor issues I had with it.

House In Fata Morgana -- 9

Ace Attorney Investigations II – 9

Phoenix Wright 3 – 9

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future – 9

Chaos;Child – 8.5

Muv Luv -- 8

Zero Time Dilemma – 8 (Not in the VNDB for some reason…)

Phoenix Wright 2 – 8 Case 4 by itself is a 10, but the circus case drags it back down...

Steins;Gate 0 – 8

Phoenix Wright 6 -- 8

Phoenix Wright 5 – 8

P. Layton & The Curious Village -- 8

Corpse Party – 8 This one really surprised me. I thought it was supposed to be a humorous game with a bit of horror thrown in, but it’s actually a straight up horror game with a bit of really dark humor. Underrated game that you should try if you’ve overlooked it.

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth – 7.5 I’d give this an 8 if they’d made it a single, better edited game. The second half was quite good.

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward – 7 Great game ruined by incomprehensible ending, otherwise I would have rated it higher.

Dangan Ronpa 1 – 7

Ace Attorney Investigations I – 7

G-senjou no Maou – 7

Root Double – 7

P. Layton & The Diabolical Box -- 7

P. Layton & The Last Spectre -- 7

Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram -- 6

Phoenix Wright 4 – 6

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright – 6

Dangan Ronpa 2 – 6

Dangan Ronpa 3 – 6 I know a lot of people liked the ending to this, but I felt it was way too gimmicky. The game started out great with that genuinely shocking early twist, but it was all downhill from there.

Utawarerumono (Original) – 5

Chaos;Head – 1 Complete garbage. Supposedly Noah is better, but I’m not going to waste my time finding out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
anyone else eyeing the famicon detective club games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, £50 seems a bit steep for fancied up NES games but I guess that's the price you pay for being in a super niche genre

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hey now, part 2 was Super Famicom

Also the new graphics and animations are really good looking

I really liked 2 so I'm going for it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I thought the original Girl Who Stands Behind was good, I'm interested in seeing the other one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

anyone else eyeing the famicon detective club games?

Not for the price they're asking I'm not

I wouldn't say Ever17 is bad but I think Uchikoshi has used similar ideas to greater effect in latter works.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

hepcat posted:

A.I. The Somnium Files, 428 Shibuya Scramble, and Raging Loop.

Those are the three that I most highly recommend of the ones you listed.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

numerrik posted:

Those are the three that I most highly recommend of the ones you listed.

Incidentally all three of those are on sale on Steam now with the Golden Week Sale that just started.

AI: The Somnium Files 60% off
428: Shibuya Scramble 80% off
Raging Loop 35% off

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

hepcat posted:

After finishing up Chaos;Child, I’m looking for recommendations on what visual novel to play next. I’ll name a few that I’m considering, then provide an updated list of the ones I’ve finished along with the vote I gave them on VNDB to give you an idea of the ones I liked. I own a Vita (RIP), a Switch, and a GPD Win, so Steam/PC only-releases are OK. Thanks!

At the moment, I’m considering: Ever 17, A.I. The Somnium Files, Robotics;Notes & Robotics;Notes Dash, 428 Shibuya Scramble, and Raging Loop.

I’m not going anywhere near Ciconia until all episodes have been released and I need a longer break from Ryukishi07 before diving into Higurashi, so those two are out for now.

Based on your ratings, I think you would enjoy 428 the most out of those. They're all good though, the only one I would recommend against is Ever 17, for someone who's played all the other Uchikoshi games I don't think there's much new there that you haven't experienced already in a better format.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think 428 is worth doing just because it's so different in terms of presentation and tone. Especially at 80% off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yoink!

Anything I should know going in?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Myriad Truths posted:

I thought he did most of the parts of Rewrite that were good, though.

I looked this up and yeah, I thought the Kotori and Akane routes (which he apparently did) were fine. I forget how I felt about Moon/Terra. I particularly liked the end of Kotori route when Kotarou is just like "dude just take me to the hospital, we have no way of knowing if this is actually untreatable" and the hospital successfully treats him. Though it's gotta be sort of bittersweet for Kotori, realizing that she could have just called 911 instead of contracting herself out to The Earth and turning Kotarou into some sort of pseudo-familiar.

The one downside to Kotori route is that it means that her role in all other character routes is extremely depressing.

Droyer posted:

Also FWIW the voices really add a lot IMO. Plus if you don't get the patch you miss out on the song in ep1 that samples Star Trek

IMO the only downside to the voices (which are otherwise great) is that (spoilers safe for anyone beyond EP7) they make one of the reveals a bit harder to figure out on your own. Same applies to both non-original sprite types. If you are just going by the original sprites with no voices, it's a lot easier for someone to see Kanon/Shannon as the same person with different hair/clothes, but the voices require them to have different voice actors (or else make things too obvious by using the same one).

The existence of (spoilers safe for anyone beyond EP7) the gold is basically the one "fantastical" thing you have to accept for the rest of the plot to make sense.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 30, 2021

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Ok, thanks everyone, I'm gonna go with Shibuya Scramble.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ytlaya posted:

The one downside to Kotori route is that it means that her role in all other character routes is extremely depressing.

I feel like that's a problem in a lot of high-stakes multi-route VNs, one way or another.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Yoink!

Anything I should know going in?

dick diary

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Picked up Higurashi, kara no shoujo, and shibuya scramble.

Thuryl posted:

I feel like that's a problem in a lot of high-stakes multi-route VNs, one way or another.

Between that and how inconsistent different routes can be writing wise I half think the medium would benefit from more linearity.

Then again getting your favorites sidelined for others sucks. Cough muvluv

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Picked up Higurashi, kara no shoujo, and shibuya scramble.

Between that and how inconsistent different routes can be writing wise I half think the medium would benefit from more linearity.

Then again getting your favorites sidelined for others sucks. Cough muvluv

Watch out, you probably already know but kara no shoujo is one of them "adult games". Even excluding that, some of the violence in the game is really disturbing even to a person like me who is rather desensitized so check yoself.

On another note Ciconia is on sale so maybe it's finally time to see what the hell it's even about, and if the music for WTC games continue to slap

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ciconia rocks. Though music wise so far its a little weaker then umineko, but ofc its also the first episode so its not fair to judge
There are two I think are really strong though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I read the about Ciconia and thought it sounded dumb. Then I read the premise posted on Mangagamer and realized that It's most likely fantastic.
From what I can tell If Umineko asks the player to trust the author as an act of faith. Ciconia being actively hostile to the viewer sounds very interesting.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Sharkitten posted:

Watch out, you probably already know but kara no shoujo is one of them "adult games". Even excluding that, some of the violence in the game is really disturbing even to a person like me who is rather desensitized so check yoself.

Also going to say that it has the absolute worst "gameplay" possible, which is not really what you want from your VNs. If you're going to read it follow a walkthrough strictly.

As for Ciconia, do we have any idea when it might be fully released? I'm someone who usually likes to read completed stuff so I don't know why I bought it now :negative:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

holy poo poo there's been like a million posts since i last seriously checked on this thread because GM was reading Umineko 7 and their stream of consciousness posts are fun and inspire discussion ITT and i'm trying to actively avoid spoilers like a religion uh right anyway here are some random fuckin' thoughts and questions about like four different discussions going on

-my save for chaos;child got ate by a Sony Playstation Vita(tm) proprietary Memory Card Product(R) just absolutely making GBS threads the bed, and i've kind of been meaning to give it another go and FF through everything except the weird binary choices until i caught up and remembered what was going on, but every time it comes up people point out how it's actually pretty good as opposed to That Rat Bastard Chaos;Head that preceded it. Can someone seriously just give a high level, two or three sentence spoiler about why C:H fell so short? Same deal for I/O I guess, which I've never actually heard of before but now I'm intrigued in a weird rubbernecking capacity.

-that NIS "Detective Elimination" game looks freaking awesome

-can someone pitch 428 to me quick? Sounds kind of cool but a lot of games sound kind of cool from the store page.

-Specifically for Gaius, when I said I thought I figured out the "who" of Umineko you said something about broken hearts- is that because I am probably off-base on the "who" or because it's an actual tragedy? Sorry for the weird kind of half-question here but so much of Umineko depends on perspective, ish, mostly, maybe?

-I know absolutely nothing about Ciconia other than the fact that it exists (and I think I heard somewhere that Ryukishi07 was planning to do it in four parts instead of 8?) Is there any kind of rough ETA on Part 2? As much as I'm enjoying ruminating on Umineko and stewing in my own foolishness as I try to work it all out, I definitely want to get in on the wild speculation while a WTC is still in progress if possible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

-Specifically for Gaius, when I said I thought I figured out the "who" of Umineko you said something about broken hearts- is that because I am probably off-base on the "who" or because it's an actual tragedy? Sorry for the weird kind of half-question here but so much of Umineko depends on perspective, ish, mostly, maybe?

I actually only posted that because I was playing through EP7, which is the equivalent of pulling out your heart and putting it in a blender.

That said, It's a pretty good unintentional hint.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lmao thank you but also curse your ambiguity

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have to live up to the Avatar lol

Episode 7 Spoilers

Jesus, Genji. Just put on your dead grandmother/Mother/Sister's dress. No way that is hosed up

Everybody in this book is colorblind, Beato's dress is red and she's also a red head not blonde

This part is destroying my emotions, the reality of Sayo's situation, one you start reading past the already depressing witch stuff is so sad. Dozens of imaginary friends, being "Betrayed" so bad by your BF that you need to dissociate to survive, Solving the riddle only to realize your circumstance of birth and entire life were mired in avoidable tragedy.

Man Will is tearing through these games, the way he's doing it is very confusing but I think I understand it.

Wait it just ends there?! That was unexpected
I'm assuming the Tea Parties are gonna be wild

The actual implications of the Metaworld plot in the Context of the real world are totally beyond me right now, I must think on them

Tea Party
Ange is here.
I was gonna put it in my conclusion, but I think Ep 8 is gonna be Ange gamemaster vs Feathrine to try and get back Battler, with the implication that she's proven she understands enough for Feathrines taste that she'll allow ange to meet with her disguised helper. I guess they'll have to deal with the Amakusa thing too

Fucker put the actual story in the Tea Party didn't he, that's why credits didn't roll

Aww poo poo Am I gonna see Witch Rosa?

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 30, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Have to live up to the Avatar lol

Episode 7 Spoilers

Everybody in this book is colorblind, Beato's dress is red and she's also a red head not blonde

While it isn't black, i definitely wouldn't call Beato's dress red, nor her hair red. I suspect you are the colorblind one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ryu07 said that he doesn't want to release Ciconia 2 until after Covid is over..so.....Yeah. About that.

Episode 1 is really good though and obviously sets up for more stuff it also feels pretty "complete" for what it is so the wait hasn't killed me too much.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Umineko Episode 1:

Might as well start by confirming that, yep, Umineko episodes are longer than Higurashi chapters. Umineko 1 took me 14 hours compared to 8-10 hours for most Higurashi chapters.

Unlike Higurashi, which I went into completely blind, I knew a number of things about Umineko before starting. Is it bad that I spent a lot of episode 1 going "yes but when does Beatrice show up"? I didn't realize she would be Tea Party-exclusive, though at this point who knows what level of canon versus fourth-wall those are on. In conclusion: uu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Procrastine posted:

Umineko Episode 1:

Might as well start by confirming that, yep, Umineko episodes are longer than Higurashi chapters. Umineko 1 took me 14 hours compared to 8-10 hours for most Higurashi chapters.

Unlike Higurashi, which I went into completely blind, I knew a number of things about Umineko before starting. Is it bad that I spent a lot of episode 1 going "yes but when does Beatrice show up"? I didn't realize she would be Tea Party-exclusive, though at this point who knows what level of canon versus fourth-wall those are on. In conclusion: uu

Its fine. That is a pretty minor spoiler, all things considered.