Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Turbinosamente posted:

"we understand there is some confusion and we hope the air is clear soon."

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

one of my favorite artists has a cassette club--making me wanna get one now, ugh

https://www.cassetteclub.co/?fbclid=IwAR3Qp-79f-GPr36nLkROYB39WaVATnyfWf-su9m4MBGKXTZ4oHMNA3lUJ8o

can you even compare vinyl to CD or cassette? I guess cassettes have a warmer sound, maybe? It seems like vinyl will always rein supreme, CDs are ok, and cassette is more a novelty? Sure your gear is a factor. Correct me if i'm wrong.

CDs sound best but aren’t all that much fun to collect.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I use inner sleeves that have the plastic inside of paper so that I can write notes (while the disc is out of it, of course) if I need to without having to deal with getting scuffs from the lovely plain paper sleeves. Also, is it me or do the printed sleeves that come with some albums always suck? I just replaced the inners on everything I own and noticed as much scuffing on albums that had unique art on theirs as I did ones that just had the cheap plain sleeves.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah this is also half of the appeal, ngl.

Cassettes are so cute, and their little foldout pages.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Scones are Good posted:

I use inner sleeves that have the plastic inside of paper so that I can write notes (while the disc is out of it, of course) if I need to without having to deal with getting scuffs from the lovely plain paper sleeves. Also, is it me or do the printed sleeves that come with some albums always suck? I just replaced the inners on everything I own and noticed as much scuffing on albums that had unique art on theirs as I did ones that just had the cheap plain sleeves.

yea all the printed inner sleeves suck if they're anything more than just high gloss paper and even those suck too getting the discs out. release an album with your records in plain white sleeves with a separate lyrics sheet or art sheet or something. they always have the toughest static cling, are too tight and have seam splits everywhere from shipping.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The only thing that's worse is when the sides aren't clearly labeled. Like, I have no idea what I'm listening to when I hear the last Sleater Kinney album, because the labels don't include any information as to what is side one and what is side two. But hey, you got your artistic labels, so good on you!

I look at the matrix etching because they usually have an A or B at the end of the numbers.

Enos Cabell posted:

I refuse to believe anyone is actually buying cassettes to listen to. They are basically funko pops.

All of this poo poo is. Otherwise why would anyone be tripping over each other to buy a Ninja Turtles LP for a hundred dollars or more?

Scones are Good posted:

Oh they're terrible and the cardstock ones are the worst of the bunch. They're great if you want to scuff the poo poo out of your records. They're always a really tight fit and sliding them out creates a static charge that makes it stick to the disc.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just opened one that had the printed, tight inner sleeve and I could feel the friction and static as I got the thing out. Is there a go-to to buy if I want to nip this in the bud while my collection is tiny?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
my problem with cassettes is where the hell do you get a new cassette player that isn't some incredibly ugly walmart boombox

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

I just opened one that had the printed, tight inner sleeve and I could feel the friction and static as I got the thing out. Is there a go-to to buy if I want to nip this in the bud while my collection is tiny?

It’s whatever you like. The MFSL ones are nice but expensive. A white paper sleeve with a poly liner is fine and less money. Whatever your place has. It’s very easy to spend as much money on bags and sleeves as on records themselves*, so don’t go too crazy.

*If you only buy Mel Tormé records at flea markets.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

my problem with cassettes is where the hell do you get a new cassette player that isn't some incredibly ugly walmart boombox

This is a self imposed problem. Get an old tape deck!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

abraham linksys posted:

My car is my cassette player

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’ve never cared for live albums, but after watching a video of the Ramones live at the rainbow in 1977, I was impressed how great they sounded. Made me realize that their power and intensity was never fully captured in the studio. I saw their second to last show when I was 15. They were still good, but not like this.

https://youtu.be/Sp3zaeOyL7Q

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 27, 2021

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

You don't, from my understanding (techmoan videos) all the manufacturing for cassette players now is only the super cheap ones, and dolby doesn't license out the noise reduction tech anymore. A lot of old stuff still works fine, especially if you feel competent enough to replace a belt. When I get my second dose and two weeks out I plan on keeping an eye out at thrift shops and such just for the sake of having one to play the weird tape releases I haven't been able to listen to for a while. Cassettes would never be my first choice for anything but there have been some unique subcultures that have kept using them over the years.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Scones are Good posted:

You don't, from my understanding (techmoan videos) all the manufacturing for cassette players now is only the super cheap ones, and dolby doesn't license out the noise reduction tech anymore. A lot of old stuff still works fine, especially if you feel competent enough to replace a belt. When I get my second dose and two weeks out I plan on keeping an eye out at thrift shops and such just for the sake of having one to play the weird tape releases I haven't been able to listen to for a while. Cassettes would never be my first choice for anything but there have been some unique subcultures that have kept using them over the years.

Ive found thrift store shopping for electronics to be great during the pandemic. Lots of people cleaning out their basements or garages, slightly fewer shoppers probably. I’ve passed on stuff just cause I didn’t need another pair of neat speakers or three, or decent receivers that I knew I’d just never use. It’s probably going to come back to earth soon but it was good for a while. Still sucked for records.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

I’ve never cared for live albums, but after watching a video of the Ramones live at the rainbow in 1977, I was impressed how great they sounded. Made me realize that their power and intensity was never fully captured in the studio. I saw their second to last show when I was 15. They were still good, but not like this.

https://youtu.be/Sp3zaeOyL7Q

The first Ramones album is so, so good, and I’m blown away every time I watch that video of them from 74.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

There's actually one that doesn't use that cheap mechanism, but it's $350 iirc. Better off finding one at the thrift store.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

One of the vinyl I hold very near and dear. I got my first turntable from some rad old dude with a dope classic mustang in his driveway. Huge room dedicated to vintage audio gear and vinyl. "I mostly only deal with gear from 1985 and before" types. Hung out for a bit, when talking about music I mentioned The Doors, and on my way out he gave me this.

It slaps.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 28, 2021

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Really hoping for Music is Rotted One Note to get a repress too.

You might be in luck. Found this: https://www.factmag.com/2016/01/15/squarepusher-warp-deluxe-reissues/

quote:

The electronic titans have today announced a series of deluxe Squarepusher reissues to be released later this year. They’re yet to reveal which albums will get the reissue treatment, but we’d guess that 1997’s Hard Normal Daddy and 1998’s Music Is Rotted One Note are near the top of the pile for albums, while mid-90s EPs like Port Rhombus and Big Loada are ripe for revisits.

It's from 2016 but the feed me repress suggests this is still happening.

Would like the chance to buy a new copy of Venus No.17.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Yakuza 0 from Laced Records

Complete with cheesy pop jackets and what look to be fake obi. :discourse:

6xLP
6xLP on black
2xLP

Because Laced ships from the UK, it's another ~$38-40 for shipping to the US, at least for the box set. At almost $160, this is the most I've ever dropped on vinyl besides maybe the Final Fantasy IX box set. Doesn't ship until October.

Choice tracks:
Pledge of Demon
24 Hour Cindarella

It's likely that Light in the Attic and/or Black Screen Records will have the 2xLP and the 6xLP (on black) stateside in the near future.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 29, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My credit limit got upped but no one's selling the Rob Crow box set, just a single EP from it for $30. :argh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bloodplay it again posted:

Yakuza 0 from Laced Records

Complete with cheesy pop jackets and what look to be fake obi. :discourse:

6xLP
6xLP on black
2xLP

Because Laced ships from the UK, it's another ~$38-40 for shipping to the US, at least for the box set. At almost $160, this is the most I've ever dropped on vinyl besides maybe the Final Fantasy IX box set. Doesn't ship until October.

Choice tracks:
Pledge of Demon
24 Hour Cindarella

It's likely that Light in the Attic and/or Black Screen Records will have the 2xLP and the 6xLP (on black) stateside in the near future.

there's like exactly 5 songs from this game i actually love and of course most of them are on the 6xLP version.

as ever, i do not actually want a giant box set soundtrack I will never listen to in full, and instead wish they'd just put out a little 7" of the songs I like the most or something. lemme get a Friday Night/Baka Mitati single

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got a new copy of Songs for the Deaf today.

The inner sleeves are a lighter paper with a plastic lining on the inside and it's the best of anything I've gotten yet. Makes me realize how nice and comfy my other vinyl could be.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

what is everyone's process for caring for their vinyl

I just ordered this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thankfully my turntable is enclosed, but, I got a lot of pets so hair and dander is everywhere all the time

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rolo posted:

Got a new copy of Songs for the Deaf today.

The inner sleeves are a lighter paper with a plastic lining on the inside and it's the best of anything I've gotten yet. Makes me realize how nice and comfy my other vinyl could be.

Wait until you discover these.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just ordered this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thankfully my turntable is enclosed, but, I got a lot of pets so hair and dander is everywhere all the time

I use a little sticky gel roller for pet hair etc and that's it. I've yet to see a need for more complicated cleaning methods.

Ballz posted:

Wait until you discover these.

paper over plastic better than plastic all day, the mofi ones are annoying to cram back into the sleeve if it's a tight fit (hello VMP return to cookie mountain)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I use a little sticky gel roller for pet hair etc and that's it. I've yet to see a need for more complicated cleaning methods.

used vinyl

can also help with static build-up? But, I'm still new to all this.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

used vinyl

can also help with static build-up? But, I'm still new to all this.

You have a static brush in that pack.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yes. I'm curious about overall "maintenance," of what you guys might do. I know some people who wipe it down with a static brush every time they swap vinyl.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes. I'm curious about overall "maintenance," of what you guys might do. I know some people who wipe it down with a static brush every time they swap vinyl.

Before they play a record or before they put one away? I mean it’s a 20 second thing either way.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just ordered this:

I essentially use the same tools as you ordered for my (mostly used) records. Everything gets hit with the microfiber brush on first play, or whenever I notice particles on a record. I just let the turntable spin a few revolutions with the brush on it, so it's really quick to do before playing a side.

I use the liquid cleaning when something sounds or looks especially bad. Though it wouldn't hurt to use the fluid every time you buy a used record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The biggest thing that’s going to make your record sound bad if you’re listening to old dirty records is dust and poo poo getting on your stylus. It’s just as important to check that often. Clean back to front not side to side!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes, you should absolutely do this. I do it between sides. Records have a fuckton of static unless you've done a wet cleaning, especially if you have a felt slip mat and are using paper sleeves.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

rocket air blaster gets dust off record/stylus without touching

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use one of those Onzow gel things to clean my stylus. I find that a fair amount of the stuff getting left on the stylus is fibers from my microfiber cloths. Need to find some better versions of those.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

abraham linksys posted:

there's like exactly 5 songs from this game i actually love and of course most of them are on the 6xLP version.

as ever, i do not actually want a giant box set soundtrack I will never listen to in full, and instead wish they'd just put out a little 7" of the songs I like the most or something. lemme get a Friday Night/Baka Mitati single

Yeah I'm with Abe on this one, give me a tight collection of the dancing/karaoke songs and I'd listen to that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Some guy said you can use a white magic eraser for stylus cleaning. No rubbing, just dipping the stylus into it a couple times. Anyone do this?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

rocket air blaster gets dust off record/stylus without touching

Um, are you sure that's for the thing you think it is?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Rolo posted:

Some guy said you can use a white magic eraser for stylus cleaning. No rubbing, just dipping the stylus into it a couple times. Anyone do this?

Do not do this. Magic erasers are just sand paper.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I wet vac all my records, brand new rice paper sleeves for each and before i drop the needle I use one of those mofi brushes and run it over the surface a couple times till satisfied. I heard that the Oznow gel pads are not great for Grado stylus so I bought a simple small brush designed to clean it. I do that before every session and nothing dirty ever gets a needle drop. everything gets cleaned before I put it on the turntable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why are Iron Maiden records so absurdly over priced now? I remember them being like around 30 bucks and now the standard seems to be 60-70.