Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jokes posted:

Khorne is the bull god, but chaos dwarfs have terrible eyesight

Khorne likes dogs not bulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I like that this infers there's different rankings of Skullcrushers.

I want to see the Wimpy Skullcrushers.

The Adequate Skullcrushers.
The "Their moms say they're handsome" Skullcrushers.
The "Peaked in high school" Skullcrushers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Khorne likes dogs not bulls.

What about bulldogs?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

jokes posted:

What about bulldogs?

That's Clan Moulder's schtick.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

jokes posted:

What about bulldogs?

Please. As if there was ever an answer other than bloodhounds.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don't you mean a Bloodsecratorhund

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mostly racist against Ashurbanipal and the Assyrians but they’re kind of thousands of years dead so

their haircuts totally make them look like Mohenjo-Darens

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i heard you talkin poo poo!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ogres are Hungary, as everyone knows.
ftfy

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The chaos dwarf god is it's own entity, there are several chaos gods that exist that are not the big 4.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Telsa Cola posted:

The chaos dwarf god is it's own entity, there are several chaos gods that exist that are not the big 4.

Why don't the Big Four, the largest of the Chaos Gods, not simply eat the others?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm still not actually clear on this. Is Khaine Khorne or some aspect of Khorne?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No he's just Something Else Entirely.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gork and Mork are the only gods that can canonically definitely be said to not be chaos gods or aspects of them

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I mean.... blood God, murder God, there's not a massive amount of daylight between them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, most gods in warhammer are Fight Gods who accept tribute in the form of dead enemies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm still not actually clear on this. Is Khaine Khorne or some aspect of Khorne?

A separate entity. In Warhammer Fantasy there are plenty of gods that are not the 4 Chaos Gods. The entire elven pantheon are real. The Horned Rat is real. Hashut is real. Gork and Mork and Sigmar are all real. The Chaos Gods may be the biggest dogs because they represent the vaguest and most primal concepts, but they are not the be all end all unlike in 40k.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gork and Mork are the only gods that can canonically definitely be said to not be chaos gods or aspects of them

Nah. In Fantasy, it is textually explicit that there are plenty of deities separate from the Chaos Gods.

Now all that being said, like 50% of the human pantheon in Fantasy are renamed and reinterpreted elven gods. Looking at you Taal and Manaan and the Lady.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Horned Rat accepts dead friends

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A separate entity. In Warhammer Fantasy there are plenty of gods that are not the 4 Chaos Gods. The entire elven pantheon are real. The Horned Rat is real. Hashut is real. Gork and Mork and Sigmar are all real. The Chaos Gods may be the biggest dogs because they represent the vaguest and most primal concepts, but they are not the be all end all unlike in 40k.

Nah. In Fantasy, it is textually explicit that there are plenty of deities separate from the Chaos Gods.

Now all that being said, like 50% of the human pantheon in Fantasy are renamed and reinterpreted elven gods. Looking at you Taal and Manaan and the Lady.

I mean...even in 40k the Elven pantheon was real, Slaanesh just killed and ate most of them.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Divinity in the fantasy setting is pretty interesting because it mimics real life religions in a way that fantasy properties usually don't, by being really loving messy. The fact that the gods are real just makes it somehow messier.

You've got gods that are clearly renamed gods of other races, but may be different entities, or may not be; you've got gods that aren't related but have very similar portfolios that may or may not be the same god getting up to tricks, you've got races that worship what might be the same gods in completely different ways, you've got local gods, you've got cults that interpret the commands of their gods completely differently...

I find it makes for a very lived in feeling to the setting, which is pretty cool.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

the only way it could be more obvious is if the leader was named Greaszusz

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Goin down to the temple to worship Ulric's taint later today

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From what I understand warp entities are highly malleable. Thus if cult A and B worships entity X, but the beliefs and practices of cult A and B changes over time the there is a chance that you will end up with two similar deities, X1 and X2, the strength of each determined by the followers. This also appears to work in reverse when two or more entities merge over time due to convergent beliefs and practices between the followers. Khorne/Khaine could be any variant of those. This in turn is even more complicated by warp entities being sentient to varying degrees, so if god X in in the first example deems cult A to be too divergent in beliefs and practices it can withhold it's blessings. But if cult A is too big and powerful or offers some other benefits it can't as easily do that without hurting itself, so then it might become bipolar and possibly spilt in the future.

I think that is one of the reasons why the 40k emperor insisted on forcing secularism down everyone's throat while blatantly displying obviously god like capabilities. As a massively powerful warp entity he knows he lose agency if he starts getting worshipped as a god. And if there is one thing the 40k emperor hates it is losing control and be at the whims of others.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
all the gods are real, but the horned rat is the only real god.

e: whf is nice in that it at least recognizes that greek / roman / egyptian / whatever pantheons they base their fantasy deities on were really not as doctrinal as modern religions are, there was a lot of crossover and mutation and local interpretations of things

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 30, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

jokes posted:

Why don't the Big Four, the largest of the Chaos Gods, not simply eat the others?

Too busy fighting each other and also the minor gods would maaaybe gently caress them up enough that they would be on a back foot with dealing with the other big 3.

Also 40k has several other Chaos gods, Malal being one of the more famous ones that actually gets poo poo written about them.

Khaine is it's own weird thing and its joked about even in the fluff/books that he's basically Khorne.
He isn't though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 30, 2021

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So Khaine is functionally the same thing as Khorne but just with an alternate energy source and it isn't ingrained in the fabric of the Realm of Chaos.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Elven gods are an overcomplicated mess.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Khaine isn't Khorne because Khaine is okay with murder and sneakyness and Khorne calls those people idiot cowards.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Angry Lobster posted:

Elven gods are an overcomplicated mess.

Yes, but you must admit it's very thematically fitting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lileath bless your heart

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lileath bless your heart

No idea why she isn't the main goddess, given she's one of the few who actually bothers to directly help people or hand out magical items. :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

No idea why she isn't the main goddess, given she's one of the few who actually bothers to directly help people or hand out magical items. :v:

Probably the same reasons as to why so few nurses become presidents.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eimi posted:

Don’t forget Kurnous and Isha. Directly saving the proto-Asrai and all.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Khaine is the god of ordered violence or violence for a reason basically.

Its a little more complicated but that's basically his deal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Goin down to the temple to worship Ulric's taint later today

so Ulric is an aspect of Nurgle?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Smashing in through the ceiling, out of breath and bleeding as I rush to say "And then in Age of Sigmar, it's revealed that the non-Chaos pantheons are made up of former mortals who survived a previous world the Chaos 4 devoured and-".

Telsa Cola posted:

Khaine is the god of ordered violence or violence for a reason basically.

Its a little more complicated but that's basically his deal.

It largely depends on who's worshipping the God in question. High Elves worship Khaine as war god and fear indulging in his gifts too deeply, Dark Elves worship him as murder god, Wood Elves strike a balance between the two but revere the Hunt and Kurnous more when it comes to stabbing things.

End Times also brought up the concept that some gods are just the same deity called different things by different cultures/factions. After Nagash breaks into the underworld and kicks the poo poo out of the Nekeharian death god, priests of Morr in the realms of men and whatever the Elven death god is called across their realms suddenly found their powers and prayers turning off or going berserk.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

IDK what it is about Total War games that I get really invested in them for a hundred hours and then literally just stop playing them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mantis42 posted:

IDK what it is about Total War games that I get really invested in them for a hundred hours and then literally just stop playing them.
Same. Just happened with me and 3K. Absolutely love it but I guess I just need a break.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah I'm definitely at that point right now, I imagine whenever the DLC drops I'll jump right back in though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even in Warhammer, the gameplay loop for various factions isn't that different. Everybody burns out eventually.