Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This may sound absurd, but I want help finding a tv show like New Girl, How I met your Mother, Friends, Happy Endings, etc. But is currently airing/still been made. I have a real soft spot for how i met your mother but my god has that show aged. and i do like the linage of 20/30something friends in quirky sitshs, like oh no they went to the wrong night club or maybe a sister is visiting in town. and i'd love to see one set in the 20s, now that we are a few years out from New Girl ending. or has this through-line stopped/
e

Escobarbarian posted:

The second episode of Mare of Easttown was excellent. This is a really good show, and it isn’t even based on a book or anything
if i squint, can it be true detective

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was thinking about how much influence Entourage really had on 20 somethings when it was on the air. I was working in a bar and there were easily a dozen groups of regulars that were trying to conform themselves to the friend dynamic on the show. It was fascinating and extremely pathetic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The wisest tweet I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/scotto_robotto/status/1387421940470722560

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Speaking of detective tv, I started L&O Organised Crime for background noise during work and it felt so dated (despite being about covid vaccine heists and making careful references to BLM throughout) that I figured I should just watch Wiseguy. Wiseguy is real real good for 80s serialized crime tv. Ken Wahl and Jonathan Banks killing it. And the main mobster speaks with the exact cadence of an italian Lance Reddick, its offputting. My only real memory of the show from way back is 'the Tim Curry dance scene' so looking forward to seeing that again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rutherford Falls seems really forgettable, tried watching the pilot twice. Not crazy about Andy's character and it felt like it was missing a lot of what makes a mike shur show charming? Off the bat don't care for Helms bits,

OK well I wrote that yesterday at some point but the show kept playing and finally clicked for me. Still, don't much care about the Helms character and feels like might be missing a few characters but I chuckled a couple times and will probably watch the rest.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Escobarbarian posted:

The second episode of Mare of Easttown was excellent. This is a really good show, and it isn’t even based on a book or anything

Yup, absolutely love it so far

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Having 2 extremely sarcastic white guys would have been way too much. I don't fault them for not using Cage at all.

Agreed with studio mandated Cole sucking though.
I am in the camp of just replacing Cole with Johnny Cage completely. American White Has Been/Never Was who expects the world to bend over backwards for him because he is a "star"? Give him an arc where he learns to not be such a poo poo and grows from it and becomes a decent person serving something more than his own needs/wants. I get that they want an American White guy in the movie but you could so SOMETHING more. I'd rather the movie just focus on the other guys or any other guy. If you had to have a good guy "MAH FAMILY" Cole let him be the minor character a bad guy kills in order to let the others know he's bad. Still pretty much well trod turf but anything would be better than making him the main.

Slamhound posted:

Debris is okay and this week’s episode was good, but it’s not quite where it needs to be.

Right now it has the feeling of a promising show that gets cancelled in the first season because they were too timid with the plot progression.
Really enjoyed this episode and, at this point, I'm actually rooting for Debris to escape it mediocre roots. Not completely sure why overall but I know I really dig the dark retro synth soundtrack. Helps it stand out to me.

Rhyno posted:

I was thinking about how much influence Entourage really had on 20 somethings when it was on the air. I was working in a bar and there were easily a dozen groups of regulars that were trying to conform themselves to the friend dynamic on the show. It was fascinating and extremely pathetic.
As someone in that age bracket during its latter years I can confirm that this show did have an influence on the prevailing culture: many of us mocked guys that were the obvious fans. It was a television show made for douchebags by douchebags. I remember watching it off and on but it was never a great show. You wanted great HBO you had Rome, Carnivale, CYE, The Wire, OZ, Six Feet Under and Deadwood. Even at its height of popularity, Entourage was just a show. Some thought it a was a fun show and had some good Bro moments but most never thought it was brilliant television. Really every bit of good it did was far eclipsed by a million shows since and it's flaws were always present but seem even moreso when most of us realized being an rear end in a top hat and using edgy words wasn't funny any more.

As far as people not giving it the due props? Doug Ellin asking for extra recognition for something completely underserved and mediocre? Stop being such a millennial. I say this AS a millenial. You made a dumb show. You want a gold star maybe create something more profound than gay jokes, penis jokes and "bro we are soooo wasted" moments.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 29, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonna guess with all the reboots and revivals flying around, he's salty that no one has picked up the phone and asked for more Entourage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/InvincibleHQ/status/1387830120950505475

I've been impressed with the adaptation and I'm already a big fan of the comic. Voice cast is loving stacked and they've already improved pretty much every character, if you've been giving it a miss because you're not a fan of the books, I'd say take a look. Again, Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen just. Make. Good. Comic. Adaptations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've been skipping it because my impression of it is that it's eye rollingly over the top hyper violence for its own sake, is that incorrect?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When there’s action, it’s violent, but when there isn’t, it’s just kind of a typical superhero thing. YA-esque, even, until the blood starts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bull3964 posted:

Gonna guess with all the reboots and revivals flying around, he's salty that no one has picked up the phone and asked for more Entourage.

There was a movie, remember :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I've been skipping it because my impression of it is that it's eye rollingly over the top hyper violence for its own sake, is that incorrect?

It's very gory, yes. I don't think it's "for it's own sake" or for shock value or anything. It's more like the Boys.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

In the article he basically flat out admits that he's salty because he pitched something and jot rejected.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
This Is the End sequel, but it’s the Entourage guys dying of COVID one by one

Vinny Gets the Vent

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How did Entourage get all those guest stars like James Cameron

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You mean certified door expert James Cameron?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azhais posted:

You mean certified door expert James Cameron?

That episode was amazing. Especially the bit about how there's no Na'vi word for "wolf" but there is one for "website."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

That episode was amazing. Especially the bit about how there's no Na'vi word for "wolf" but there is one for "website."

They did evolve usb tails after all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1387391483767136261

The creator of "If Maxim Magazine was a TV show" doesn't feel like it's getting the appreciation it deserves

My coworker was trying to tell me how Jeremy Piven was unfairly MeToo’d until I had him look it up and it turns out he has a movie coming out this year.

These people’s idea of “cancel culture” is 100% filtered through their own narcissism.

E: Entourage had a feature film made from it YEARS after the show ended, this guy just doesn’t get the ride’s over.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 29, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Piven was also just in one of those one-season network procedurals, where he played fake Jeff Bezos funding his own police department or something like that. Prior to that, he was in four seasons of a British prestige period drama. At some point, the ride just ends.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He'll always be Droz to me

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Chairman Capone posted:

Piven was also just in one of those one-season network procedurals, where he played fake Jeff Bezos funding his own police department or something like that. Prior to that, he was in four seasons of a British prestige period drama. At some point, the ride just ends.

Mr Selfridge was weirdly one of my favorite Masterpiece Theatre shows to watch aside from Poirot and the 80th season of Death in Paradise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Castlevania is ending with season 4 so it looks like they gave the animation a huge upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7iWXfZzEMc

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo! Netflix finally did it! They added a "play something" button. I've been dreaming of this for at least 6 years!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

Holy poo poo! Netflix finally did it! They added a "play something" button. I've been dreaming of this for at least 6 years!

Oh my God you're right, this is amazing

Finally I can truly turn off my brain when watching Netflix. Now it's just like TV was when I was growing up!! :dance:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Weird, it's been on my fire stick netflix app for at least since before Christmas.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

It's been 10+ years since I read any of the books... but that is not how I envisioned Lan. That said, my mind is open and I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Also, way to have the same one-liners as one of the biggest Fantasy shows ever.

If they don't gently caress it up (and at least with the cast they've done a killer job) this will be better and bigger than GOT. Because this actually has a good ending and much, much better character arcs.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

LionArcher posted:

If they don't gently caress it up (and at least with the cast they've done a killer job) this will be better and bigger than GOT. Because this actually has a good ending and much, much better character arcs.

I know he's too old, but Chris Pratt would have been a great Mat

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel Chris is bigger than I picture Mat (not that I've looked at who they got)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Mr Selfridge was weirdly one of my favorite Masterpiece Theatre shows to watch aside from Poirot and the 80th season of Death in Paradise.

Mr Selfridge was amazing and Piven did a great job in it, but BBC TV is usually not a big $$$ or celebrity jump off unless it becomes a worldwide hit like Downton Abbey.

Even shows like The Bodyguard barely move the culture needle for more then a few weeks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Woof, episode 5 of Shadow and Bone. A lot going on here!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know British tv is cute and small but the BBC had nothing to do with The Bodyguard, Downton Abbey, and Mr. Selfridge. The new All Creatures show looks BBC as hell but that is on some other thing called Channel 5.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Channel 5 is the closest you’ll get to TheCW in terms of ‘well it’s a major network, technically, I guess’ stakes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

He'll always be Droz to me

Gutter is a tool

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhyno posted:

Gutter is a tool

I love that the don't be that guy line was ad libbed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rutherford Falls has a teen who is never at school and is always hanging out with an unrelated adult, and dresses and acts with the autonomy you'd expect of an adult, played by an adult (I think). I think they had one throwaway line about how they should be at school or something. I just don't get the choice to make this character a teenager if it has no bearing on anything besides not making any sense.

I'm also not sure what the hell the show wants us to feel for the Ed Helms character. They don't make any effort to make him or his plight sympathetic, his own family doesn't give a poo poo about this town, the town doesn't give a poo poo, historically you're not rooting for keeping the legacy of white colonizers alive, or some privileged douche's obsession with old dudes he's related to. At most you don't like the corporation he's vaguely affiliated with. He just gets an awful lot of screentime. I think Michael Shur just loves Ed Helms and I'm sure he's lovely to work with and everything but sympathetic characters aren't his thing and they spend so much time with his character I have to think he's meant to be to some degree.

Okay I finished the show. There's a puke gag, surprising for this kind of show, not as gross or hilarious as the one in The Mick.

The show was Okay. It looks and sounds like an Office or Parks n Rec or what have you but there's not really that dynamic. Half of the best-friends-with-different-priorities dynamic is just the nathan character being a selfish jerk.

They also include the mayor and her plotline right up until it's completely dropped, she doesn't even appear in the last several episodes. Why did they have her sleep with nathan, why did they inject her into the plot schemes and then just... forgot?

I think I would've just liked the show more if it leaned more into the minishonka side of things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not seeing this on the browser version, that's great though. Figured they would've added that or channels ages ago and used it to funnel people towards their content if nothing else.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

I feel Chris is bigger than I picture Mat (not that I've looked at who they got)

Looking at the cast list I'm not recognizing really any of the names, but Rosamund Pike for Moiraine is a good get and Hammed Animashaun for Loial is a fantastic pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

I love that the don't be that guy line was ad libbed

It's my favorite college movie of all time.