Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mameluke posted:

we're doing black leather from day 1 to ensure visual continuity with the first show. no ugly learning pains like we had with the costuming in season 1 having colours

am I hallucinating or is one of the people in that image not clearly wearing a red dress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i thought the battle of the bastards and Cersei blowing up the sept happened in season 7, but NOPE they were 6. did anything of worth happen in 7???

also i've been listening to the soundtrack and had the realization that The Night King is basically the Light of the Seven rehashed. i know this is meaningless because D&D probably just had LotS as a temp track (also both tracks are awesome)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

7 had the avengers of GoT team up to go beyond the wall and hold off an army of zombies

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Honestly at this point I hope GRRM can have a fantastic next few years and a fun retirement and then Brandon Sanderson can finish the series in like a month.

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 29, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megera posted:

i thought the battle of the bastards and Cersei blowing up the sept happened in season 7, but NOPE they were 6. did anything of worth happen in 7???

7 had that bit where Danaerys burns up a bunch of Lannisters in some big field and the really bizarre part where everyone's trapped inside a big ring of white walkers for what seems like a month.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was rumored that GRRM and D&D had a major falling out, they took hidden snipes at each other at multiple occasions, I think that the gist was that GRRM was unhappy with the way they excised plots and felt it's not so easy to stitch a narrative back together if you unravel it carelessly, Benioff and Weiss on the other hand felt GRRM didn't know what it takes to make a hit show and apparently also felt that his ideas would basically make the show very long and possibly not very compelling. GRRM reportedly stormed off muttering something about him being a guy who dedicated his life to crafting narratives and that it's not something any one can easily pull off, later D&D even mocked this statement by GRRM by putting into fake-Tyrion's mouth in the braavosi theater production Arya watches.

So yeah, D&D basically hold all the responsibility for how poo poo things turned out, they were arrogant enough to think they can't take a bad step, even though by their own admission they actually had no idea what they were doing ("world's most expensive film school"). gently caress those guys, really, at least they got some comeuppance in the fact that millions around the world now think of them as complete hacks.

All I had to see was the way they treated the actor who played Barristan Selmy, who took the time to read the books to prepare for the character, then when finding out his character dies in such a pointless way took the time to write them and ask for them to reconsider keeping the character, and their response was "lmao gently caress you, now we want to kill you more"

I don't think GRRM is a saint by any means but by comparison I'm willing to assume until I find out otherwise that more of the falling out was on their actions than GRRM being tough to work with or anything.

They're just spiteful, entitled shitheads.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Of course the real show to get excited for is the wheel of time where the teasers they’ve shown look actually good. And come from vastly superior source material.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

All I had to see was the way they treated the actor who played Barristan Selmy, who took the time to read the books to prepare for the character, then when finding out his character dies in such a pointless way took the time to write them and ask for them to reconsider keeping the character, and their response was "lmao gently caress you, now we want to kill you more"

I don't think GRRM is a saint by any means but by comparison I'm willing to assume until I find out otherwise that more of the falling out was on their actions than GRRM being tough to work with or anything.

They're just spiteful, entitled shitheads.

GRRM is no stranger to writing for TV shows and compromising for that format, put it that way. The entire lead-up to the ending of the show is everyone questioning what D&D is doing, including HBO WRT season length.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

GRRM is no stranger to writing for TV shows and compromising for that format, put it that way. The entire lead-up to the ending of the show is everyone questioning what D&D is doing, including HBO WRT season length.

The last two seasons was basically the entire world wondering what the gently caress was going on with the show and the two dudes running it thinking that everything was going perfectly.

edit:
They were basically book Cersei!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

stev posted:

gently caress it, commission a full anime adaption.

I really can't imagine a reboot. To me seasons 1-3 were handled and cast pretty much perfectly (with a couple of notable exceptions), and season 4 is still pretty great even though the rot was starting to set in. Seeing a different Ned, Tyrion, Arya or Jon would just be bizarre, even if a bunch of time passes.

Whatever the faults of their other content or the failings of the streaming model in general I've enjoyed most of the animated adaptations that Netflix has put out. Castlevania is the obvious standout but even the DOTA adaptation is pretty loving solid if you don't care about the extremely generic fantasy trappings.

Don't know what it would take for Netflix to pry the rights away from HBO but an animated GOT adaptation could run for literally decades and be a license to print money the entire time. You could even rope in some of the original cast to do voiceover work.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 29, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pennsylvanian posted:

One thing that always bugged me in fantasy was how civilizations could be in a Medieval state for like 20,000 years or whatever. It makes sense when high fantasy realms with readily-available magic don't advance much in terms of non-arcane science, but we managed to figure out steam engines after about five thousand years of civilization. Granted it also took that same amount of time before we realized that we shouldn't poop in the same water we drink but still.

You'd think arcane magi-science would advance things way faster. Technological advancement is hard when you need to realistically engineer every new idea, but if you can spitball ideas and use magic to iterate them, an order like the Maesters could probably bust out some advanced poo poo in a few generations. People would be dependent on magic (as they are on electricity or fossil fuels), but I fail to see why that'd mean technology looked completely stagnant for centuries or millennia.

Though I don't think GRRM was making a point with the stagnation of Westerosi society, I just think he doesn't care how realistic the timeframes involved are. Hadrian's Wall was built around 120 CE, and the War of the Roses was circa 1460, but The Wall was built 8000 years ago because that sounds way more epic and ancient. The Wall is also 700' high, where Hadrian's Wall was about 15' high, the Great Wall of China is about 25' high, and even the pyramids are ~400' high.

Europe circa 7000 BCE would be pretty unrecognizable and people there couldn't have engineered poo poo. The British Isles would literally have just become Isles after glacial melt, domesticated animals would be a new idea, and pretty much everyone would've dressed like Wildlings because complex textiles didn't come about until the Bronze Age. The only permanently-inhabited cities would've been on the Mediterranean coast; something like Winterfell wouldn't exist for several millennia. But realism is boring, so that's not what GRRM did.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
GRRM is almost uniformly terrible on any kind of historical accuracy, no matter how much he pretends otherwise

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing I do like about his writing is “smart” characters are good with the knowledge they currently have, but they’ll be surprised because they can’t always see what their opponent is doing or thinking.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Solice Kirsk posted:

The last two seasons was basically the entire world wondering what the gently caress was going on with the show and the two dudes running it thinking that everything was going perfectly.

edit:
They were basically book Cersei!

Emilia Clarke said "best season ever" but her eyebrows are incapable of lying.

Kit Harrington nearly drank himself to death the anxiety was so horrific.

Most other series, the showrunners would have had interviews out their asses on all sorts of late-night and entertainment shows talking about it. D&D went to a bunker and hid for a month. And they planned that out BEFORE the season even began.

Everyone knew it was crap. I just want to know, who is the chief reason it WAS crap. Probably D&D, but as said, even they planned on hiding. Maybe they got overruled.

That said given that their next project was a Confederacy apologist show... I think I know my answer.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sky Shadowing posted:

That said given that their next project was a Confederacy apologist show... I think I know my answer.

Was the show supposed to be Confederate apologia? Alt History is one of my favorite genres and I certainly wouldn't describe Man In The High Castle as fascist apologia.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it would have been interesting if they handled it like "five years after the civil war the Confederacy outlawed slavery anyways" so it would focus on having two bitter countries being neighbors. So basically a story about mid-east politics, but it takes place in Kentucky.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Sanguinia posted:

Was the show supposed to be Confederate apologia? Alt History is one of my favorite genres and I certainly wouldn't describe Man In The High Castle as fascist apologia.

It probably wouldn't have been, but do you really trust those guys to handle something like that deftly?

I can also get assuming that kind of topic would be apologia, I was honestly shocked when I found out Turtledove isn't a big fash weirdo, just a lefty who is incidentally a weirdo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sky Shadowing posted:

Emilia Clarke said "best season ever" but her eyebrows are incapable of lying.

Kit Harrington nearly drank himself to death the anxiety was so horrific.

Most other series, the showrunners would have had interviews out their asses on all sorts of late-night and entertainment shows talking about it. D&D went to a bunker and hid for a month. And they planned that out BEFORE the season even began.

Everyone knew it was crap. I just want to know, who is the chief reason it WAS crap. Probably D&D, but as said, even they planned on hiding. Maybe they got overruled.

The reason it was crap was 100% D&D A) stopped having a roadmap and B) stopped caring about doing anything but finishing the show as fast as poosible

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can also get assuming that kind of topic would be apologia, I was honestly shocked when I found out Turtledove isn't a big fash weirdo, just a lefty who is incidentally a weirdo.

That's fair. I bet a whole lot of people picked up the Great War American Front series looking foreward to seeing the Noble Lost Cause stick it to those dirty yankees in WW1 only to watch the South descend into full-blown Actual Nazi Fascism right down to their own Stabbed In The Back myth when they got their asses kicked.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LionArcher posted:

Of course the real show to get excited for is the wheel of time where the teasers they’ve shown look actually good. And come from vastly superior source material.

Lol, nah, Wheel of Time is GARBAGE

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I do like the part where Nynaeve tugs her braid, Moraine sniffs, and Egwene adjusts her skirt.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

It probably wouldn't have been, but do you really trust those guys to handle something like that deftly?

It's this. I doubt D&D have any desire to apologize for or lionize the Confederacy, I just seriously doubt they had anything relevant to say about the topic other than reveling in the dystopian nature of it.

A show about how the Confederacy won could be excellent, if it was created by people with an actual perspective on race relations. Which is to say, all or most of the writers should probably be Black...the last thing anyone needs to see is a show about how slavery still exists in the modern era*, as imagined by two rich white failsons.

(*also, it basically still does. To Man in the High Castle's credit, that show eventually made the point that Nazi-controlled America only looks kind of different from IRL America, because of how compatible Nazi ideology was with homegrown white supremacy. Any show worth a drat about "What If the Confederacy won" would hopefully grapple with the idea that they essentially did...Confederate political thought slid right back into US governance after the war, and Jim Crow instantly took on the project of subjugating and re-enslaving freed slaves through legal means - e.g. prisons and policing - to maintain white social dominance.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Unlike something like Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones requires a certain level of ignorance of the events for its impact to be felt.

When you build a story on shock value, re-watching it doesn't ruin it, because you remember how you felt that first time. But it doesn't make anybody inclined to see the same events again, just with different actors.

Game of Thrones can't be rebooted without losing the things that made it appealing. I'm afraid these bells are rung. That's it. No second chances.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Let's remember that when they run out of material D&D's take on strong female characters was turning them into emotionless YASS QUEEN
And their take on a character that happened to be gay was to turn him into a gay that happened to be a character.
And then there was the ending of "Mhysa".

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, not that I expected a subtle or nuanced depiction of race in Game of Thrones, but Dany freeing a city full of slaves and having them instantly start calling her Mother and inviting her to crowd-surf as a gleaming point of Aryan light in a sea of writhing brown skin is...not reassuring about whatever they might have wanted to do for Confederate.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

An insane mind posted:

Honestly at this point I hope GRRM can have a fantastic next few years and a fun retirement and then Brandon Sanderson can finish the series in like a month.

Even that's turning into a dicey assumption; the 4th Stormlight book isn't out until 2023, and he just pushed the 5th to 2028 so he can work on Mistborn #3 in the meantime. At least for now he doesn't have any TV megadeals to distract him so far but it will be interesting to see whether he can stick to these dates.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Laterite posted:

Even that's turning into a dicey assumption; the 4th Stormlight book isn't out until 2023, and he just pushed the 5th to 2028

Boy do I have some good news for you. 4th book came out in 2020! Looks like he's 3 years ahead of schedule.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember when the show first started and then all the best characters died off and then people just stopped dying and it got boring? I think they never should have stopped killing characters. Every show should have started by introducing all new characters and then kill them over the course of the hour.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Someone call the newspapers, there's people with wrong Wheel of Time opinions in this Game of Thrones thread.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

Someone call the newspapers, there's people with wrong Wheel of Time opinions in this Game of Thrones thread.

*sniffs* That it's any good you mean? *knuckles mustache meaningfully*

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

stev posted:

gently caress it, commission a full anime adaption.

I really can't imagine a reboot. To me seasons 1-3 were handled and cast pretty much perfectly (with a couple of notable exceptions), and season 4 is still pretty great even though the rot was starting to set in. Seeing a different Ned, Tyrion, Arya or Jon would just be bizarre, even if a bunch of time passes.

Let's not forget how Jack Gleeson acted the poo poo out of Joffrey.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LividLiquid posted:

Unlike something like Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones requires a certain level of ignorance of the events for its impact to be felt.

When you build a story on shock value, re-watching it doesn't ruin it, because you remember how you felt that first time. But it doesn't make anybody inclined to see the same events again, just with different actors.

Game of Thrones can't be rebooted without losing the things that made it appealing. I'm afraid these bells are rung. That's it. No second chances.

Ah but that's the thing, the ending of GOT sucks so much people *want* it to be completely re-written.

Its an impossible pipedream, but in the world where we got Zach Snyder's Justice League, I could maybe imagine a one in a million chance they pull a Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and remake the series, so they could end it different and things could actually be exciting again given the same characters but a new ending with unpredictable twists.

The problem would be either re-casting everybody, or trying to get most of the cast back. Also, they'd probably want to just skip through the first few seasons of content which weren't poo poo in GOT, so maybe just summarize the events as they begin in season 5 or something and then just branch off from there.

Won't happen, but I think it could.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Let's not forget how Jack Gleeson acted the poo poo out of Joffrey.

So much so that idiots were unable to realize he wasn't actually Joffrey.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

An insane mind posted:

*sniffs* That it's any good you mean? *knuckles mustache meaningfully*

Gonna balefire this post so hard that your last six posts cease to exist

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That happens to every actor, parasocial relationships do a number on our ape brains. I remember once on Conan when Modern Family was at its peak popularity Ty Burrell shared anecdotes about people coming to him and saying that they love the show and that he should hold on to his character's fictional wife cause she's a keeper, Lena Headey too said that sometimes she gets recognized and people get really upset about things Cersei did. Humans are just like that really.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I'll be the first to admit Wheel of Time has some massive issues, but what's exciting about the TV show is that it's easy to imagine multiple ways of fixing them while adapting for TV. And it's a complete story that already exists, with a beginning and a middle and an end, with well-defined character arcs and all that stuff. That's rare enough in TV overall, not just fantasy.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That happens to every actor, parasocial relationships do a number on our ape brains. I remember once on Conan when Modern Family was at its peak popularity Ty Burrell shared anecdotes about people coming to him and saying that they love the show and that he should hold on to his character's fictional wife cause she's a keeper, Lena Headey too said that sometimes she gets recognized and people get really upset about things Cersei did. Humans are just like that really.

dumb humans

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

Gonna balefire this post so hard that your last six posts cease to exist

*crosses arms* Well that's fine, they were terrible anyway. *tugs beardbraid*

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

LividLiquid posted:

I'm afraid these bells are rung. That's it. No second chances.

An insane mind posted:

So much so that idiots were unable to realize he wasn't actually Joffrey.

And Olly too, that actor got so much grief from idiots that he had to issue an apology for doing his job as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In the UK there was a soap called Brookside where a man called trevor was attacking his wife Mandy, it was a really big famous storyline and she eventually murdered him and buried him under the patio.
People would ATTACK the actor who played Trevor in the street. Seriously.

People are loving bonkers.