Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

FoneBone posted:

i think there's been at least one of these on the major networks (almost) every season since Lost premiered. very few have lasted more than one season

how could anyone forget Dr. Facehands

meanwhile David Cronenberg is returning to sci-fi and i am very hyped

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1387810888317509633

Why is his handface bigger than his faceface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I think it means he has cancer?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FoneBone posted:

That carries the same title as his 1970 film about men living in a defeminized world after a plague has killed all sexually-mature women. The only thing that seems to be familiar with that movie, thank god, is the character who rapidly grows and has removed new organs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FoneBone posted:

This is incredible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Young Freud posted:

Ah, the Millennium cut.

Speaking of, I really wish they had ended that show on the second season finale. There's so much totality with that ending, that it's thrown away on a weaker third season that gets rid of many of the series favorites, like CCH Pounder, and while it has some good episodes in the third season despite the change in format, it's not really enough to save it.

The first two seasons of Millennium are so good. Lance Henriksen man.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Event was also about a new species of human coming back from the past or some poo poo. I don’t think it lasted long enough to get to what the titular event was supposed to be.

The Event will always be the funniest one to me because everything about it, from top to bottom, was such a blatant rip-off the :lost: formula that even people who had never watched the show could immediately tell what they were doing.

FoneBone posted:

That is a profoundly cursed image.

Apparently the show was supposed to be a modern day Jekyll/Hyde and also a medical drama? It was also apparently so bad they only aired like 2 episodes before shitcanning the whole thing. EFB: Thats what I get for skipping over 3 posts on the last page. :v:

Overwrought medical dramas have got to be a close second to 1-season mystery box sci-fi shows, its like every year there's a new one making GBS threads up the airwaves except this time the doctor is a baboon or something.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 30, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Event was funny because every time something would happen you would ask yourself, was this supposed to be "The Event" but the answer was always no.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

muscles like this! posted:

The Event was funny because every time something would happen you would ask yourself, was this supposed to be "The Event" but the answer was always no.

No, it wasn’t just “you ask yourself”. The literal commercials went “<situation> *dramatic music* was NOT The Event” and then repeat for at least one to two other things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The Event will always be the funniest one to me because everything about it, from top to bottom, was such a blatant rip-off the :lost: formula that even people who had never watched the show could immediately tell what they were doing.

That is a profoundly cursed image.

Apparently the show was supposed to be a modern day Jekyll/Hyde and also a medical drama? It was also apparently so bad they only aired like 2 episodes before shitcanning the whole thing. EFB: Thats what I get for skipping over 3 posts on the last page. :v:

Overwrought medical dramas have got to be a close second to 1-season mystery box sci-fi shows, its like every year there's a new one making GBS threads up the airwaves except this time the doctor is a baboon or something.

You're forgetting that it co-starred Lin-Manuel Miranda, which is just apeshit bonkers. He was on the same level as Samm Levine!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

MonsieurChoc posted:

The third commits the unforgivable sin of turning Terry O'Quinn into the villain for no real reason. On the other hand it has an amazing scene where James Marsters gets his neck snapped commando-style by a 12-year-old girl.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Leatherhead posted:

The third commits the unforgivable sin of turning Terry O'Quinn into the villain for no real reason. On the other hand it has an amazing scene where James Marsters gets his neck snapped commando-style by a 12-year-old girl.

Yeah, one of the GOOD third season episodes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The only good thing about The Event was the first post of the thread I made for it in TVIV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There was some other “big mysterious event” show that aired around the same time that Lost premiered and had (I think?) something about weird aquatic creatures and secret government labs?

All I remember is that my grandpa hatewatched it but loved Lost.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, one of the GOOD third season episodes.

Which season had the episode with the demons sharing stories at a coffee shop/cafe?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Harsh Realm was another interesting Carter show that got killed early. The star later got in trouble for molesting a girl, so no revival happening.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Which season had the episode with the demons sharing stories at a coffee shop/cafe?

That's season 2 : "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Leatherhead posted:

That's season 2 : "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me"

Yeah, looking on IMDB, it's the top-rated episode of the entire series. The season two two-parter and "Jose Chung's 'Doomsday Defense'" is in the within the top ten, just to tell you how things break down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was some other “big mysterious event” show that aired around the same time that Lost premiered and had (I think?) something about weird aquatic creatures and secret government labs?

All I remember is that my grandpa hatewatched it but loved Lost.

It could have been Surface or Invasion, as both fit your description equally well.

The best Lost ripoff was the one about people who were hostages in a bank robbery, because the constant flashbacks to the robbery got ridiculously convoluted by the end of the first season. Even I could tell that ripping off the flashback structure of a show with a single event that all characters are constantly remembering would wear out its welcome much faster than Lost’s flashbacks did.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Wasn't there another mystery/flashback heavy show from around that time where the premise was all these random people had to drive in a cross-country race run by some evil conspiracy? Though that might have taken more after Prison Break than Lost, which IIRC was it's own particular brand of crazy.

I remember watching the first few episodes thinking "oh hey this seems fun!" and then somewhere around episode 3 my interest just shriveled up and I never looked back.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Harsh Realm was another interesting Carter show that got killed early. The star later got in trouble for molesting a girl, so no revival happening.

I remember watching Harsh Realm as a teenager and thought it was the most boring show I had ever seen. I didn’t even realize they were supposed to be in VR since everything looked exactly the same.

I also thought Earth 2 was boring as poo poo though. Maybe I should revisit it since apparently it became a cult classic.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It could have been Surface or Invasion, as both fit your description equally well.

Invasion was the one where William Fichtner got “invaded” and was acting like a weirdo. It was good, but kicked the bucket before it went anywhere.

Was Surface the one with shoddy CG dinosaur things living in the earth?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, Surface went from "boy befriends sea monster" to "hollow earth iluminati preparing for Biblical flood sequel".

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Blood drive having only one season is a crime against humanity.That show was bonkers.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FoneBone posted:

David Cronenberg, sci-fi, gorgeous people
Lets loving go

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Kings had the problem of absolutely terrible advertising that didn't actually address what the premise of the show was (a retelling of the story of King David) and instead kept pushing it as an alternate history thing about "What if America had a king?" when that had nothing to do with anything since it was set in a fictional country.
The tagline for the show, "What if the greatest country on earth had a king?" perfectly describes the show if one believes that the greatest country on earth is Israel, but is highly deceptive if one assumes, as Americans do, that it is America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5c1Vr1fcZI

That said, the promos were overall terrible and NBC had no idea what to do with a show that put forth 150% effort on a lower budget than any modern prestige tv show.

The Event was also about a new species of human coming back from the past or some poo poo. I don’t think it lasted long enough to get to what the titular event was supposed to be.
The Event was basically scifi agitprop about how President Obama should absolutely not try to close Guantanamo.

Yeah invoking mysterious plane disappearances/crashes and non-linear storytelling made The Event seem the most wannabe of all the LOST wannabes at first, but it did turn into it's own thing. The LOST clone actually closest to LOST was in fact FlashForward starring John Cho.

Cael posted:

No, it wasn’t just “you ask yourself”. The literal commercials went “<situation> *dramatic music* was NOT The Event” and then repeat for at least one to two other things.
No the titular EVENT actually happened in the finale and it was absolutely batshit bonkers. You could tell they knew they were cancelled and they might as well pull off the most insane cliffhanger possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKkbA5P5qI

MonsieurChoc posted:

Leatherhead posted:

You remember it wrong, she was a fully grown woman and she easily snaps his neck because she's Terry O'Quinn's daughter and has most likely been taught at least two dozen ways to murder a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdxe9Iyi3lM

The context is that Marsters was a gulf war vet super paranoid about biological contaminants after experiencing gulf war syndrome and he kidnaps Terry O'Quinn's daughter and infects her with the biological agent that Terry O'Quinn cooked up to test on ARE TROOPS as revenge and to blackmail him into releasing THE TRUTH to the public about his role in gulf war syndrome and the coverup. Naturally this means a long extremely non-consensual shower and scrubdown scene on a coroner's sink that made it extremely obvious this was some writer/producer's fetish.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 30, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You can watch it here

what the gently caress

I have never heard of this in my life

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
seriuosly this is the most 90s Full Motion Video thing I've ever seen

and it's directed by Spielberg, has Quentin Tarantino, Jennifer Aniston, and Penn and Teller and i've never heard of it

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I also just remembered that the aliens in the X-Files were actually Earth's first civilization who went somewhere else to escape the changing climate and now wants to clear the humans away so that they can return.

Then apparently the series revival explains that alien experiments meant that a portion of human population have alien DNA in them and it explains why some people can crawl through toilet pipes to eat human liver and while others are werewolves and chupacabras. Pretty sure Marvel came up with that first. Also I'm sure Scully is still immortal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasn't there another mystery/flashback heavy show from around that time where the premise was all these random people had to drive in a cross-country race run by some evil conspiracy? Though that might have taken more after Prison Break than Lost, which IIRC was it's own particular brand of crazy.

I remember watching the first few episodes thinking "oh hey this seems fun!" and then somewhere around episode 3 my interest just shriveled up and I never looked back.

You're thinking of Tim Minear's Drive I think. This all off the dome without googling.

Starred Nathan Fillion and the guy who was in a bunch of Coens movies and one of the Hulk movies.

Seemed fun but yeah I dropped out after the 2nd ep not sure why. Just seemed like the premise was thin for a season.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was canceled pretty much immediately. I remember watching it and it just stopped airing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The best Lost ripoff was the one about people who were hostages in a bank robbery, because the constant flashbacks to the robbery got ridiculously convoluted by the end of the first season. Even I could tell that ripping off the flashback structure of a show with a single event that all characters are constantly remembering would wear out its welcome much faster than Lost’s flashbacks did.

This was "The Nine."

Shageletic posted:

You're thinking of Tim Minear's Drive I think. This all off the dome without googling.

Starred Nathan Fillion and the guy who was in a bunch of Coens movies and one of the Hulk movies.

Seemed fun but yeah I dropped out after the 2nd ep not sure why. Just seemed like the premise was thin for a season.

You're forgetting that this also had Emma loving Stone as Dylan Baker's (who i assume is the non-Fillion actor you're referring to) daughter. It also had a bunch of people that went on to be "that guy/girl" actors (Kevin Alejandro, Melanie Lynskey, Taryn Manning, Amy Acker)

My favorite Lost ripoff show was "Flashforward." It had incredible star power including Joseph Fiennes, John Cho, and Courtney Vance along with two honest to god lost alums (Dominic Monaghan, Sonya Walger) and the whole show was based on the flashback/flashforward concept. It was...disappointing to say the least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That just makes me think The Rat Race. Or that one Jojo.

Anime, mostly being derived from manga, seems to pull off long-form serialised storytelling way better than live action television manages to. Probably helps that they're not restricted by the medium and traditionally stick to the one writer so you have a consistent voice and tone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was also Persons Unknown, which was billed as a one-season Lost clone that would wrap its mysteries up by the end of the first season. It did not.

It was about a bunch of people, including Cameron from Ferris Buehller's Day Off, waking up in a weird hotel in a weird empty town who then had all kinds of weird stuff happen to them while they tried to escape and flashed back to their pre-weird town lives. It ended with like three different insane cliffhangers. I remember some of the characters woke back up in the same hotel, except now it was on a large cargo ship.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That just makes me think The Rat Race. Or that one Jojo.

Anime, mostly being derived from manga, seems to pull off long-form serialised storytelling way better than live action television manages to. Probably helps that they're not restricted by the medium and traditionally stick to the one writer so you have a consistent voice and tone.

Man, a live action steel ball run TV show could kick incredible accounts of rear end if they were willing to maintain the insanity of the source material.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The United States posted:

The Event was basically scifi agitprop about how President Obama should absolutely not try to close Guantanamo.

I mean, credit where credit's due: sounds like it worked

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wasn't there a show where Homo Superior (who conveniently look exactly like regular humans) were working to wipe out the inferior Homo Sapiens that had Larry Drake in it, and because it was Larry Drake you automatically assumed he was going to turn out to be one of the bad guys, except shockingly he wasn't?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

The United States posted:

You remember it wrong, she was a fully grown woman and she easily snaps his neck because she's Terry O'Quinn's daughter and has most likely been taught at least two dozen ways to murder a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdxe9Iyi3lM

The context is that Marsters was a gulf war vet super paranoid about biological contaminants after experiencing gulf war syndrome and he kidnaps Terry O'Quinn's daughter and infects her with the biological agent that Terry O'Quinn cooked up to test on ARE TROOPS as revenge and to blackmail him into releasing THE TRUTH to the public about his role in gulf war syndrome and the coverup. Naturally this means a long extremely non-consensual shower and scrubdown scene on a coroner's sink that made it extremely obvious this was some writer/producer's fetish.

I stand corrected. Now there is no point to the third season.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

RevKrule posted:

This was "The Nine."

One of the actors joked it was the first show named after the audience it got.

Payndz posted:

Wasn't there a show where Homo Superior (who conveniently look exactly like regular humans) were working to wipe out the inferior Homo Sapiens that had Larry Drake in it, and because it was Larry Drake you automatically assumed he was going to turn out to be one of the bad guys, except shockingly he wasn't?

That was Prey, which predated Lost. It also had Debra Messing; if it'd lasted even half a season longer she wouldn't have been able to do Will & Grace.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

They were called Homo Dominants, Homo Superior is the scientific name for mutants in the Marvel universe.

E: I don't know why I remember this, but ask me how to do trigonometry and my brain farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RevKrule posted:

This was "The Nine."

You're forgetting that this also had Emma loving Stone as Dylan Baker's (who i assume is the non-Fillion actor you're referring to) daughter. It also had a bunch of people that went on to be "that guy/girl" actors (Kevin Alejandro, Melanie Lynskey, Taryn Manning, Amy Acker)

My favorite Lost ripoff show was "Flashforward." It had incredible star power including Joseph Fiennes, John Cho, and Courtney Vance along with two honest to god lost alums (Dominic Monaghan, Sonya Walger) and the whole show was based on the flashback/flashforward concept. It was...disappointing to say the least.

lol you're right. Crazy I forgot about her.

As an unabashed fan of Angel I was really hoping that Tim Minear would hit on something worth watching. He produces procedurals and apparently some of AHS? Wtf?