Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

For those times when....

Yeah, I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It's the obvious place to go after your fish usb stick(twitter).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My surströmming fountain pen raises a lot of questions that my surströmming fountain pen absolutely does not answer.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is happening in Japan

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Heath posted:

What is happening in Japan

Japan is happening in Japan.

Oh, btw, Momiji is the best ink for the TWSBI Draco.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Keetron posted:

Japan is happening in Japan.

Oh, btw, Momiji is the best ink for the TWSBI Draco.

momiji is the best ink for most pens tbqf

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Progress is being made

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

grack posted:

Progress is being made

So I see someone was trying to make their own Sailor Naginata nib?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

aldantefax posted:

So I see someone was trying to make their own Sailor Naginata nib?

This is what the nib looked like when it got to me.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

niiiiiiiiiiiib

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've gotten my Lamy Safari for my work pen, and I'm finding that I like it better than my Pilot Metropolitan. And the ink in the included cartridge has some nice shading, visible even with the fine nib.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Safari feels like more of a "work" pen to me. It lacks the eccentricity of a "nicer" looking pen with the more modern design sense, like something an engineer would pull out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I take a lot of marginal notes in books with varying paper quality, and I find the safari performs best for leaving clear notes in the cramped and tiny hand that's necessary for that kind of writing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Isn't the Safari aimed toward young writers in Europe (where they still teach kids to write with fountain pens)

I don't know if i read that somewhere or if i just assumed it since so many other Lamy pens are more "professional" looking

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's mostly what it's used for. Doesn't really have that connotation in the US

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Sankis posted:

Isn't the Safari aimed toward young writers in Europe (where they still teach kids to write with fountain pens)

I don't know if i read that somewhere or if i just assumed it since so many other Lamy pens are more "professional" looking

I imagine you're thinking of the ABC (pretty sure that's what Lamy calls their kid's pen?). It's rather like the pelikano in that it's colorful and so-on. Although I see where you're coming from, with the triangular grip and all, the Safari is more "the sweetest '80's industrial design.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I take a lot of marginal notes in books with varying paper quality, and I find the safari performs best for leaving clear notes in the cramped and tiny hand that's necessary for that kind of writing.

I wish any of my Safaris were good for that. I have very distinct memories of writing half my notes with the pen inverted so I could actually read what I'd written down in class. That's more a job for a pilot penmanship, or any other deskpen with an ef/xf.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I didn't know fountain pens actually still existed until about 10 years ago when my office moved into a new space and someone found a lamy safari just lying in a cupboard.

As an American, I am jealous that overseas peeps can just find inexpensive fountain pens in a supermarket.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

sb hermit posted:

I didn't know fountain pens actually still existed until about 10 years ago when my office moved into a new space and someone found a lamy safari just lying in a cupboard.

As an American, I am jealous that overseas peeps can just find inexpensive fountain pens in a supermarket.

Pretty same. A friend let me use his for gaming one night. When I asked how much it cost
"It's a pretty cheap one- 60$, I think?"

That was not cheap to me at that moment of my fiscal development. I understand what he meant now, but when I finally decided to get one years later, after playing with Varsity pens, I splurged for the 30$ Muji.

I can't believe I thought 30$ was a lot for one pen, when now I add 50$ to my mental budget, just in case, I find I need another Lamy.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 1, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

it's kind of amazing how the US seemingly dropped fountain pens completely in favor of single fill bics and stuff as soon as that became a thing. Until about 5 years ago i had no idea you could just... buy fountain pens. The only space they occupied in my mind was that i knew some rich people used them (montblancs, etc) and that they also showed up in some period pieces.

It makes me wonder how much i did actually see them and just didn't care to think about it. The other day in Hitman 3 I stabbed someone in the eye with a fountain pen to kill them. How many other opportunities have I missed???

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Daiso, a consumer goods chain where everything is a $1.50, used to sell cheap ($1.50) and fancy ($5.00) fountain pens for about a year, then they completely disappeared from all of their stores.

I was worried about being able to get new carts but it turns out that the nice one takes international standard converters and the cheap one takes half size internationals (but big enough for the monteverde mini converter).

Apparently there is a fountain pen store nearby... I just hope they've been able to stick it through the pandemic so that I can pick up some momiji

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sankis posted:

I had the same Safari throughout all of school that I still have now, 25 years later.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

sure wish they still did that in this part of europe, then maybe I wouldn’t have to deal with university students who can’t read cursive and think it’s some form of black magic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

sb hermit posted:

I bought a Pilot Metro while grocery shopping at my local Meijer.

Picked up a bunch of new ink this week, including another high sheen Organics Studio :pcgaming:

Speaking of Organics Studio, so that's what the guy who runs the place looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtSquZT0GiY

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

howe_sam posted:

I bought a Pilot Metro while grocery shopping at my local Meijer.

Picked up a bunch of new ink this week, including another high sheen Organics Studio :pcgaming:

Speaking of Organics Studio, so that's what the guy who runs the place looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtSquZT0GiY

Interesting. I guess I'll try to stop by one on my next trip to Ohio.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah, the first of May. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I just bought another Delta.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Have a trip planned up to Anderson Monday :getin:

Planning on getting a VP

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 1, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

iospace posted:

Have a trip planned up to Anderson Monday :getin:

Planning on getting a VP

LS or normal?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gschmidl posted:

LS or normal?

Normal. LS is cool and all, but not at that price tag

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Super excited that my Schon Design pen should be here tomorrow!

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Ended up not getting a Pilot 1911L after all...

I did get a Penlux Masterpiece Grande though!

It's a very chonky pen, I love it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That pen is enormous to the point of being ridiculous.

I love it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Queadlunn posted:

Ended up not getting a Pilot 1911L after all...

I did get a Penlux Masterpiece Grande though!

It's a very chonky pen, I love it.

Love me a nice fat pen! The frosted acrylic paired with the gold looks real sweet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I love VPs. My favorite is the blue carbonesque or whatever it's called. However I hate the ink capacity. Makes it difficult to effectively use at work and I've had converters get stuck and break on me when trying to remove them. Kind of soured me on the pen.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I love VPs. My favorite is the blue carbonesque or whatever it's called. However I hate the ink capacity. Makes it difficult to effectively use at work and I've had converters get stuck and break on me when trying to remove them. Kind of soured me on the pen.

I just refill carts for my VP.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got my first "vintage" pen in today:

NOS Sheaffer 440 from the '70's. Love that nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

IT LIVES

drat I'm good

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

grack posted:

IT LIVES

drat I'm good

hope u g0t paid like 5 deltas worth for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Chip McFuck posted:

Got my first "vintage" pen in today:

NOS Sheaffer 440 from the '70's. Love that nib.

Inlaid Sheaffers are cool as hell, and tend to write good. I have two long-tailed ones, the 400's (not sure of the exact number) is all right to write with, but the other is very thin (a Targa) and my fingers grip the tail of the nib when writing, which is an odd sensation.