Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought Faults was solid. Definitely worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Obscure 2001 indie comedy Scotland, PA is available on Prime Video. It's a retelling of Macbeth set in small-town Pennsylvania in the 70's. With Maura Tierney, Christopher Walken, James Reborn, and many more.

Oddly, you can't get to it by searching on Prime Video itself, no matter how you access the service. Here's a nice scrubbed direct Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B093B2C67B/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m watching MI4: Ghost Protocol on Hulu and the plot is nonsense and the characters all suck, but holy poo poo the action set pieces are something else.

I always thought people were being hyperbolic about the Tom Cruise stunts, but watching him jump around and rappel off the Burj Khalifa gave me genuine vertigo.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m watching MI4: Ghost Protocol on Hulu and the plot is nonsense and the characters all suck, but holy poo poo the action set pieces are something else.

I always thought people were being hyperbolic about the Tom Cruise stunts, but watching him jump around and rappel off the Burj Khalifa gave me genuine vertigo.

MI4 was kind of trash but the next 2 are really really good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Every MI movie is varying degrees of good to great. Especially M:I-2 :colbert:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Finished Raised by Wolves and while it started out pretty interesting, I was really disappointed by the end.

Keppler 22b being a giant wizard and also maybe the birthplace of humanity was extremely dumb and basically a license for the writers to just keep piling on half assed mysteries and nonsense. The characters' actions became extremely nonsensical and when coupled with "anything is possible because magic" it just made for an eye roll inducing slog. Much like Prometheus, it has some pretty awe inspiring moments but the overall dark space nihilism with religious imagery hamfistedly slapped onto it has been done to death at this point. Truly great acting from the androids but other than that, just an overall wet fart of a 2nd and 3rd act.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Shadow and Bone was...ok. I've never read the book, and watched out of curiosity. Just two points:

1) Alina is a dumbass. A big big BIG dumbass.

2) Ber Barnes is a love. And was great in his role.

And, I'm hooked and already wondering if we'll get a second season.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Desperado Bones posted:

Shadow and Bone was...ok. I've never read the book, and watched out of curiosity. Just two points:

1) Alina is a dumbass. A big big BIG dumbass.

2) Ber Barnes is a love. And was great in his role.

And, I'm hooked and already wondering if we'll get a second season.

Netflix seems to have invested a shitton into the show, same with Witcher, so barring more "cancel everything because of covid" shenanigans, I'm assuming we'll get at least a second and third season.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Finished Raised by Wolves and while it started out pretty interesting, I was really disappointed by the end.

But what did you think of the spess snek?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you watched Prometheus, you have a good idea of Raised by Wolves is going to be about.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Raised By Wolves S2 is already filming and the show runner says he has “5-6 seasons” planned out. I dunno, I think I’ll know after S2 if it’s really something I would want to stick with that long (assuming it makes it).

Somehow I didn’t connect the flying snake with the giant skeleton… They are apparently related according to what I read.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My favorite part of Raised By Wolves wasn't necessarily what was happening so much on this planet, but all the worldbuilding they did for what happened back on Earth. I love some good worldbuilding.

Similarly I was intrigued by the worldbuilding in Apple's See. It's too bad that the show ended up being somewhat laughable and otherwise terrible.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'll totally watch follow up seasons; I'm nostalgic for a show to watch all the way through every time a new season comes out

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

2 episodes into Raised by Wolves and it's....wild AF lol

I only watched the first episode and it was ... geez it was something else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MrXmas posted:

I am also curious about Faults, especially the complaint that it's too long - the running time is listed at 89 minutes which by modern standards is downright brief.

Yeah but this is not your traditional film. I think it should have been the length of TV-episode max.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
late to the party but Mortal Kombat was exactly what I wanted, and I'm excited for sequels.

I can't believe how far we've come with video game adaptations and the ability to put the totally bonkers stories out there without having to make it seem realistic in any way, yet still fun. I had to tell my friends that pretty much all the backstory was just like the established canon. I loved the original as a kid but they just couldn't do all the effects to make it really feel like Mortal Kombat (aside from Goro).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Guys Netflix has a shuffle button now

:iia:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just watched the trailer for Raised by Wolves, I had never heard of it before reading this thread. Looks like a bunch of rapid flashing random images to paper over some mystery box BS.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just watched the trailer for Raised by Wolves, I had never heard of it before reading this thread. Looks like a bunch of rapid flashing random images to paper over some mystery box BS.

You are pretty spot on, but I would add that the acting is generally stellar and the first few episodes are excellent.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can’t say Without Remorse is a good movie but if you want to see Michael B Jordan gently caress poo poo up for 2 hours, it will scratch that itch.

edit: LMAO the movie has a post-credits scene sequel hook for Rainbow Six

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 30, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

People wanted one for so long; I think the problem was it bringing up the virtual fireplace or something inappropriate. Or would that be a feature?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raised by Wolves isn't a mystery box unless you approach it like that. Which some people with very beep boop tendencies can't seem to help but do. If you accept the show is about the ride and not getting dry, straight forward answers it's a lot more satisfying.

if you are watching it with the attitude of "how are they going to explain this?" you are watching the wrong show and should probably check out CSI or something instead. The correct way to watch raised by wolves is to anticipate what wild poo poo is going to happen next while you soak up the fantastic visuals and awesome cast (ok Campion isn't that awesome)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Raised By Wolves imo is similar to Prometheus in many ways, including the divisive reactions. At the very least, you don't encounter a lot of "meh" reactions to it, which is hard to find in TV

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Simone Magus posted:

And with that, the Golden Age of TV dies.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I loved every episode of Raised by Wolves. Just think of it more as a fable and less as hard sci-fi.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Plus, most of it makes sense, it's just weird.

I watched the first episode of 30 Monedas (HBO or Amazon w/HBO) in the middle of the night, and I highly suggest anyone who hasn't seen it do the same.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Raised by Wolves isn't a mystery box unless you approach it like that. Which some people with very beep boop tendencies can't seem to help but do. If you accept the show is about the ride and not getting dry, straight forward answers it's a lot more satisfying.

if you are watching it with the attitude of "how are they going to explain this?" you are watching the wrong show and should probably check out CSI or something instead. The correct way to watch raised by wolves is to anticipate what wild poo poo is going to happen next while you soak up the fantastic visuals and awesome cast (ok Campion isn't that awesome)

Haven't seen this much pure condescension and unnecessary pettiness in this thread for a long time. Thanks for unironically including "the correct way to watch" in the post so everyone knows it's intentional.

Finished Wolf Lair on Prime and enjoyed every episode. Lewis steals every scene and Rylance includes just enough sensitivity to make his lead performance memorable. Loved seeing Thomas More as a self-righteous / flawed figure rather than the one dimensional hero he's almost always depicted as in these period dramas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Devils leaves Shudder tomorrow so catch it while you can. (Warner Bros. won't even allow a non-anamorphic version of the *cut* version, I have no idea what their deal is.)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Without Remorse was definitely a movie. I recommend a nice bowl of weed or a few beers to spice it up, it's a bit bland on its own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Haven't seen this much pure condescension and unnecessary pettiness in this thread for a long time. Thanks for unironically including "the correct way to watch" in the post so everyone knows it's intentional.

Sorry you didn't like the truth bomb.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wonder how much Without Remorse has in common with the book. Wasn’t the book set in the 70s?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I got heavy "chosen one with special powers must save the world" vibes from the trailer and jesus that trope is pretty played out.
That trope is so heavily embedded into human religion, myth, culture, etc. that it will never be played out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

smackfu posted:

Wonder how much Without Remorse has in common with the book. Wasn’t the book set in the 70s?

I haven't read that book in like 20 years so I had to check out the plot on wikipedia. The movie is totally different. The only common thing is dead pregnant wife. The movie's plot is a pretty standard revenge story. It's not as wild as the book.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hulu has the medieval time travel movie Timeline under "for comedy fans" lol. It's too bad, I felt like they really tried with that little budget, and the book was so good.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Inspector Hound posted:

Hulu has the medieval time travel movie Timeline under "for comedy fans" lol. It's too bad, I felt like they really tried with that little budget, and the book was so good.

My wife insisted that this was a great movie, and kinda got upset that I was cracking up the whole time watching it, especially anytime Paul Walker spoke. Granted I also read the book beforehand and went in expecting something just as good.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched Dante's Peak for the first time in a while and I'd forgotten how stressful it is at some points. I thought that two scenes (crossing the lake and driving across the lava) were pretty tense. The character of Pierce Brosnan's boss seemed inconsistent, though: he interrupted Pierce Brosnan's vacation to tell him to go check out a volcano, then is immediately dismissive that it might be dangerous. Anyway, fun movie.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DorianGravy posted:

I watched Dante's Peak for the first time in a while and I'd forgotten how stressful it is at some points. I thought that two scenes (crossing the lake and driving across the lava) were pretty tense. The character of Pierce Brosnan's boss seemed inconsistent, though: he interrupted Pierce Brosnan's vacation to tell him to go check out a volcano, then is immediately dismissive that it might be dangerous. Anyway, fun movie.

I haven't seen it in well over 20 years, but it came out around the same time as the Tommy Lee Jones film Volcano about a volcano erupting in downtown LA. I remember liking Volcano better than Dante's Peak as a kid. I'm sure neither one wholds up very well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My best memory of Dante's Peak is the part of the Universal Studios Tour based on it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Edward Mass posted:

My best memory of Dante's Peak is the part of the Universal Studios Tour based on it.

Was that the one where the subway derailed next to the tour? I remember that part being pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Volcano had this amazing scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01bex9Ejvg