Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Um, are you sure that's for the thing you think it is?

I usually just go straight fleet enema on my stylus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Why are Iron Maiden records so absurdly over priced now? I remember them being like around 30 bucks and now the standard seems to be 60-70.

The 3 I have seem to average about $30 on Discogs.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SwimNurd posted:

Do not do this. Magic erasers are just sand paper.

What are you gonna do, sand your diamond stylus down? Haha, it's not gonna hurt it.

There's a bunch of threads about it on the Steve Hoffman forums. It doesn't work as well as a stylus tip cleaner but it's only a buck or two.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

The 3 I have seem to average about $30 on Discogs.

Which ones are they?

Boinks posted:

What are you gonna do, sand your diamond stylus down? Haha, it's not gonna hurt it.

There's a bunch of threads about it on the Steve Hoffman forums. It doesn't work as well as a stylus tip cleaner but it's only a buck or two.

Well yes. If diamond tip styli were immune to wear you'd never have to buy one. And if the magic eraser leaves behind any residue it can gently caress up your records. I'd recommend getting a simple stylus brush for anyone who doesn't want to spring for an Onzow. Plus some people don't have a diamond stylus and if you do they're sufficiently expensive that I wouldn't want to risk loving it up to save a few dollars.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 30, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CPL593H posted:

Why are Iron Maiden records so absurdly over priced now? I remember them being like around 30 bucks and now the standard seems to be 60-70.

They're all $20 at my local record store, IDK what crazy bullshit the internet is trying to pull now. I keep checking for them to get Powerslave and Number of the Beast.

Did they release a bunch of remasters so now the OG cuts are shooting up in demand?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Which ones are they?

Piece of mind, powerslave, and 7th son. The last one goes for a little more. I imagine the first two (s/t and killers) are probably pricy. I bought those 3 I have for $5 each 20 years ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

There was a point at least 5 years ago before Covid and all that that Maiden records really disappeared from the market. When id usually see like Prowler, Killers, Number of the Beast, and Powerslave in the 5-10 bins. Then not long later they just dried up and all of a sudden they were records you’d find on the wall for 40-50 for a copy. It was weird.

I don’t even have maiden records anymore. I gave them all away as gifts. Really wish I kept a few.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

CPL593H posted:

Maiden fandom is pretty wide and deep. Every serious fan (owns a demin jacket with patches) I know insists on having the albums on many different formats/pressings. They still tour and maintain relevancy, it's no surprise they've trended higher than the wholesale increase in vinyl. Almost all of my metal and Britpop stuff has tripled or more in the last few years.

There was also a period when metal shirts were mainstream fashionable - Justin Bieber and his ilk were out rocking Anthrax, Metallica, etc alongside supreme and streetwear. This no doubt raised interest in 80/90s metal too. I think Kayne even had a line that was heavily inspired by death metal iconography/font style.

midge fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 30, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
All right Maiden chat made me go check. My old rear end pressing of the self title is around $40 and random repress of Number of the Beast is still $20. CDs still average from $6 to $13. Unsurprising as those too are mostly reissues. Must be one of those people are snatching up the cheap listings for whatever reason now type things?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm really hoping that as things get back to normal and people can actually get laid again they'll forget about records and the prices will drop.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've sunk to new depths.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

I've sunk to new depths.

Look, there can't be that many copies of this left. Can you guys do a bidding war on it and bring it up to like a few grand and then I can accidentally set it on fire or something?

ED: omg fuschia

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I got an email saying today is the last day to preorder this mallsoft classic:

https://geometriclullaby.bandcamp.com/album/yes-we-re-open

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I finally found one!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'm really hoping that as things get back to normal and people can actually get laid again they'll forget about records and the prices will drop.

Once people can go back to shows, yah. If we get to a good place where COVID doesn't matter people will replace the media with a ticket.

That ain't happening in 2021 tho.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

I finally found one!

Nice. Mine doesn’t have the dollar.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

incoherent posted:

That ain't happening in 2021 tho.
Desert Daze is hyping 2021 in late October/Early November and I kind of almost believe it.

I get to waste time for hours in a record store tomorrow, fully vaccinated. :getin:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Nice. Mine doesn’t have the dollar.

Now my only goal in life is to find a Schools Out with the panties.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been some Ultra Deluxe reissue on Record Store Day that has that for like 80 bucks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

Yeah don’t have one of those either, although that is … not my goal in life.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Desert Daze is hyping 2021 in late October/Early November and I kind of almost believe it.

I get to waste time for hours in a record store tomorrow, fully vaccinated. :getin:

Oh man, talk about a festival that really neeeeeeeds a crushing year to make up and break even. Every year they have amazing lineups and like barely inch over the line and announcing thenpushing back to 2022 would be abso detrimental.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Yeah don’t have one of those either, although that is … not my goal in life.

I didn't even know the billion dollar bill was that hard to get. The panties are crazy rare though. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a copy that has them but if I was in some situation where I just found a beat up copy of the record at a flea market or yard sale for cheap that still had it I'd definitely buy that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even know the billion dollar bill was that hard to get. The panties are crazy rare though. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a copy that has them but if I was in some situation where I just found a beat up copy of the record at a flea market or yard sale for cheap that still had it I'd definitely buy that.

The dollar probably isn’t rare but I bought my copy of BDB in pre-internet days at a secondhand store and spent years wondering why it had a weird cutout thing on the inside. It’s still great album art without the dollar.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

incoherent posted:

Oh man, talk about a festival that really neeeeeeeds a crushing year to make up and break even. Every year they have amazing lineups and like barely inch over the line and announcing thenpushing back to 2022 would be abso detrimental.
2019 made me a lifer, no question, if they can somehow pull it off, I'm there. Rumors are starting to churn and the official accounts are throwing fuel on the fire:

It is the 40th anniversary of New Traditionalists. :getin:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

2019 made me a lifer, no question, if they can somehow pull it off, I'm there. Rumors are starting to churn and the official accounts are throwing fuel on the fire:

It is the 40th anniversary of New Traditionalists. :getin:

It's already been announced that they're playing this concert.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It's already been announced that they're playing this concert.
They're playing an unrelated Vegas festival in September, there hasn't been any line-up announcements for DD yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

They're playing an unrelated Vegas festival in September, there hasn't been any line-up announcements for DD yet.

That list reads like an AARP roll call.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

caligulamprey posted:

I want to see that sunday when municipal waste breathes some life into that slow and boring lineup.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Look at this loving turntable.

Actually this whole website is amazing. High end poo poo never ceases to amaze me, especially when you reach levels like this where it clearly doesn't matter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Actually this whole website is amazing. High end poo poo never ceases to amaze me, especially when you reach levels like this where it clearly doesn't matter.

It says "includes pump kit" in the description. What the gently caress does that even do?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CPL593H posted:

It says "includes pump kit" in the description. What the gently caress does that even do?

I found this review from back in 2000. It uhm... floats?

quote:

With its air-suspension isolation stand, air-bearing platter (both the axial and radial loads are supported by air), captured air-bearing arm, and direct-drive brushless motor, the System III Sirius's only mechanical contact is that of stylus and record. No belt, no springs, no thrust plate and ball bearing, no bushings

This is also my favorite excerpt, after spending $75000 on this setup back then

quote:

"Once that was accomplished, I simply pushed a switch and, within a few minutes, the +200-lb plinth had risen on a bed of air supplied by the air-suspension system. I had to level it pneumatically via three small knurled knobs. This is critical—the frictionless arm will slide in toward the record center or out the other way if the 'table isn't precisely leveled. In fact, the only way to level it correctly is to counterbalance the arm/cartridge with a temporary counterweight (I made one from a pipe cleaner and a wood screw). Once it is floating, so you can see which way it wants to go. When the arm is set correctly, and the tracking force is set to zero, it will remain where you put it on the rail."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

I found this review from back in 2000. It uhm... floats?

This is also my favorite excerpt, after spending $75000 on this setup back then

There are a lot of times when I think I've gone too far with all this record stuff and I've become too obsessive. poo poo like this keeps me grounded.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Schremp Howard posted:

$140k+, serious inquires only....takes two lovely pictures.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The Vinyl Thread: Air-bearing arms

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Spends starter house money on a turntable. Spends hours setting it up just right. Turns it on and spends 3 minutes loving with leveling the platter. Listens to Eddie Money's greatest hits.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

stealie72 posted:

Spends starter house money on a turntable. Spends hours setting it up just right. Turns it on and spends 3 minutes loving with leveling the platter. Listens to Eddie Money's greatest hits.

Hey gently caress you - Take Me Home Tonight was the pinnacle if human achievement in music and recording. There's never been a better song, and never been a song better recorded. Future civilizations will split the modern era into pre-Take Me Home Tonight and post-Take Me Home Tonight eras.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Wait the makers of this turntable seriously, not a joke, floated it on pneumatics and air? That you still have to level yourself? Must be a joy when the compressor kicks off. I'll take my self leveling turntable any day which was accomplished with a bunch of springs hidden inside the case as far as I can tell.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Wait the makers of this turntable seriously, not a joke, floated it on pneumatics and air? That you still have to level yourself? Must be a joy when the compressor kicks off. I'll take my self leveling turntable any day which was accomplished with a bunch of springs hidden inside the case as far as I can tell.

I mean that kind of suspension can break too. Nothing’s perfect. But yea, I usually prefer simpler.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is it normal for brand new vinyl to be popping? I finally got my turntable, unwrapped two brand new records and played them, and they both pop pretty frequently. Does this mean I need to get one of those brushes from last page and clean it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

Is it normal for brand new vinyl to be popping? I finally got my turntable, unwrapped two brand new records and played them, and they both pop pretty frequently. Does this mean I need to get one of those brushes from last page and clean it off?

Quality control on new records is all over the place so it could just be the record. You should have an anti-static brush anyways though.