Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I think he's a really good actor. The only time I think I've seen him actually mad was when that chud kept calling in and Tim wasn't having any of it. As much as Tim relies on lovely chuddish types as inspiration for his character you can tell he has a deep seated hatred for them and the garbage they stand for.

Carol Kraft's outbursts are 100% real though

Go to hell, Noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I think he's a really good actor. The only time I think I've seen him actually mad was when that chud kept calling in and Tim wasn't having any of it. As much as Tim relies on lovely chuddish types as inspiration for his character you can tell he has a deep seated hatred for them and the garbage they stand for.

I know Tim has talked a lot about how much it bothers him that not only seem to think that he's part of the Satanic deep state but that his works have inadvertently helped fuel those kinds of movements. The most recent QAnon Anonymous episode covered the latest QAnon rally in LA from a couple days ago and the person who organized it directly cited the Child Clown skit as what made him realize the child trafficking adrenochrome cabal is real. And I don't mean that he thought it was meant to be a nod to the cabal or whatever but that he thought it was actual footage of Will Ferrell was keeping kids in cages and dressing them up as clowns and hitting them. It's crazy to me that there are people who are simultaneously online 100% of the time and unable to understand fiction.

Almost makes me nostalgic for the first year or so of Office Hours where it was just Sam Hyde supporters calling in to get into fights with Tim, which was weird on its own.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Chairman Capone posted:

I know Tim has talked a lot about how much it bothers him that not only seem to think that he's part of the Satanic deep state but that his works have inadvertently helped fuel those kinds of movements. The most recent QAnon Anonymous episode covered the latest QAnon rally in LA from a couple days ago and the person who organized it directly cited the Child Clown skit as what made him realize the child trafficking adrenochrome cabal is real. And I don't mean that he thought it was meant to be a nod to the cabal or whatever but that he thought it was actual footage of Will Ferrell was keeping kids in cages and dressing them up as clowns and hitting them. It's crazy to me that there are people who are simultaneously online 100% of the time and unable to understand fiction.

Holy poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chairman Capone posted:

Almost makes me nostalgic for the first year or so of Office Hours where it was just Sam Hyde supporters calling in to get into fights with Tim, which was weird on its own.

Dear god. And these people have drivers licenses

With my first exposure to Tim being TGTTM I originally got the impression of him as a passive, long-suffering straight-man to Eric's zany unpredictable clown antics. As that show goes on it seems more and more like he's using it to do something a lot more complicated that I've never really put my finger on — like he's criticizing himself for bottling up his rage at a world that he's too quick to dismiss as all crazies except for him.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's a pretty clear through line in all of the tim (and eric) stuff over the years about men and masculinity and all that sort of thing. And how the pursuit of these toxic male ideals can manifest in weird, sad, dangerous ways. Dads, hunks, blowhards, people caught in the gears of society trying to convince the world they are worthy by convincing themselves. Brule is another stab at this idea - he can be oblivious and petty in the same breath. His body and mind are rotting away from consuming literal poison and grotesque processed foods and presumably television

OC Tim tries on trends and friends and business ideas and ideologies as quickly as he discards them, and he'll do anything to debase himself (and his family/associates) in front of the altar of fame, capitalism, whatever you want to call it. The trump comparison is obvious, but the character is very much david liebe hart as well.

At any rate, I've always assumed that "Tim" and "Gregg" are funhouse mirror versions of aspects of their own personalities. They're both probably drawing on parts of their personalities that they worry about or wrestle with

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ingmar terdman posted:

Brule is another stab at this idea - he can be oblivious and petty in the same breath.

I'm guessing here you're pointing at like when one of his guests says something useful or informative and Brule goes "I know" with a sort of dismissive sneer.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I'm guessing here you're pointing at like when one of his guests says something useful or informative and Brule goes "I know" with a sort of dismissive sneer.

Oh yes, he's insecure and snippy with anyone that is clearly smarter, more attractive, more successful in life and love. He pigeonholes people as "hunks" in an incel/chad sort of way. He fantasizes about wearing leather jackets and driving cherry red hot rods. He imagines his father to be a gigantic man and is threatened by his stepfather. And Denny is his Axiom-like hanger-on that is the one person on earth he can actually kick around. It's all kinda drawn from the same well

e: oh yeah and he immediately crumbles to dust when Linda Barengi shows up (RIP)

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I love how much John C Reily loves his role as Steve Brule. I dream about waking up to a new season of Check it Out! Gotta know if the sun came to Earth.

Ingmar terdman posted:

david liebe hart

Now that's someone who isn't well at all. :(

Shame so much of Tim's art involves actively touching the poop.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 29, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Ingmar terdman posted:

e: oh yeah and he immediately crumbles to dust when Linda Barengi shows up (RIP)

*Denny coldly and callously standing there, zooming in on the charred corpse of Barelli*

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

(Herzog voice) Without breaking his stride, the dancing man asks us what our dad is like, and before the viewer can answer, he asks to meet him.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Data Graham posted:

His "I know"s are just perfect. John C. Reilly's best role.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol Ben Shapiros stream where a bunch of guys discuss things and smoke cigars did an episode to premier some movie and

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The Real Original Mister Movie

but also, holy crap. Everything about that picture. It's beyond parody.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
how many times did they call each other 'gentlemen' i wonder

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Tetramin posted:

Lol Ben Shapiros stream where a bunch of guys discuss things and smoke cigars did an episode to premier some movie and

To be fair, that is a normal sized bucket of popcorn

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Saying "hey guys" to trigger the libs but they're all guys

Love ben's normal-sized popcorn

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ingmar terdman posted:

Saying "hey guys" to trigger the libs but they're all guys

Love ben's normal-sized popcorn

Heil guys!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Gregg merely dressed as a hobbit for oscer. The daily wire found one

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

There's a pretty clear through line in all of the tim (and eric) stuff over the years about men and masculinity and all that sort of thing. And how the pursuit of these toxic male ideals can manifest in weird, sad, dangerous ways. Dads, hunks, blowhards, people caught in the gears of society trying to convince the world they are worthy by convincing themselves. Brule is another stab at this idea - he can be oblivious and petty in the same breath. His body and mind are rotting away from consuming literal poison and grotesque processed foods and presumably television

OC Tim tries on trends and friends and business ideas and ideologies as quickly as he discards them, and he'll do anything to debase himself (and his family/associates) in front of the altar of fame, capitalism, whatever you want to call it. The trump comparison is obvious, but the character is very much david liebe hart as well.

At any rate, I've always assumed that "Tim" and "Gregg" are funhouse mirror versions of aspects of their own personalities. They're both probably drawing on parts of their personalities that they worry about or wrestle with

This is the poo poo I came here for

Also, worth noting (I don’t know what it means) that Awesome Show Tim was doing Trump faces before Trump was doing Trump faces

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tetramin posted:

This is the motherfucking content I come here for

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

wuggles posted:

Also, worth noting (I don’t know what it means) that Awesome Show Tim was doing Trump faces before Trump was doing Trump faces

There was a bit in the rehearsal footage where they were setting up for another shot and so tim was just silently doing a series of trump faces for a minute and the wardrobe really makes it pop

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

wuggles posted:

Trump has been a well known and well hated figure since long before he ran for pres.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

derp posted:

Trump has been a well known and well hated figure since long before he ran for pres.

I’m aware, but I don’t think he was making those dumb faces on tv every day when Awesome Show was on. Was he making those faces on The Apprentice or were his brains not soup yet?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Ingmar terdman posted:

There was a bit in the rehearsal footage where they were setting up for another shot and so tim was just silently doing a series of trump faces for a minute and the wardrobe really makes it pop

drat, I could really go for a Hot & Hard right now

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

it wouldn't shock me to learn that tim has control over their immigration status

that wouldn't be the first time tim would remind me of lowtax, if true...

as much as tim's character is applicable to trump, i think its even more a really creative indictment of gen-x men, insofar as generations are a thing (obviously they dont REALLY exist, but tim is clearly taking notes from his friends, peers, and probably his own desires and impulses)

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 30, 2021

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also this year was especially intense for some reason, maybe its cause im a back to the future 3 fan

has anyone talked about how much Joe obviously dislikes Christopher Lloyd?

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 30, 2021

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012

Mia Wasikowska posted:

as much as tim's character is applicable to trump, i think its even more a really creative indictment of gen-x men, insofar as generations are a thing (obviously they dont REALLY exist, but tim is clearly taking notes from his friends, peers, and probably his own desires and impulses)

I brought it up previously but this is exactly what The Comedy is about and presumably what attracted Rick Alverson to Tim and Eric. That movie also rules because its such a gently caress you to all the Bro types who love T+E

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I took less "gently caress bros and Gen X" and moreso a general indictment of detachment, emotional unavailability, & ironic apathy from The Comedy. He loses the ability to be genuine with anyone for fear of being vulnerable, and is only able to enjoy life when playing with a kid incapable of harming or judging him.

Either way, really good movie. It's what made me go from "Tim & Eric show? Looks like stupid lolrandom comedy, pass" to "huh, guess these guys actually have something to them"

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Oh yeah that reminds me I watched Entertainment the other night. What a bleak loving movie. I did like it, but jeez

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Entertainment’s a real trip. Maybe it’ll be a different experience to watch now that I’ve seen Gregg perform as anyone other than Neil Hamburger.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I didn't like Entertainment but I do find myself thinking about it every so often so I should probably watch it again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will always cherish the memories of seeing a live Neil Hamburger performance at a bar. He spent the first ten minutes asking if there were any (ethnicity) in the audience, one by one, with the punchline being "well I heard this this bar served mixed drinks."

It's so hard to believe that was Gregg.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

his courtney love bit cracks me the gently caress up

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

his courtney love bit cracks me the gently caress up

I'd never listened to a Hamburger set before and I nearly had to pull over so I wouldn't crash laughing at the cranberry sauce punchline

edit: actually i think my favorite joke from that set posted earlier was the RHCP/Harriet Tubman joke

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 30, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Neil told a joke directly to me ("here's one that probably only you'll get") at a show once. Treasured memory

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I loved The Comedy but god drat did it make me feel like poo poo. That is a bleak movie

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Big news!
https://www.heinetwork.tv/article/major-update-of-the-events-of-oscar-special-press-briefing/

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Detective No. 27 posted:

I will always cherish the memories of seeing a live Neil Hamburger performance at a bar. He spent the first ten minutes asking if there were any (ethnicity) in the audience, one by one, with the punchline being "well I heard this this bar served mixed drinks."

It's so hard to believe that was Gregg.

Seeing Neil Hamburger live was legit the best thing I've ever seen.

The last joke he did was something like "Why did youuuur local fire department not want to put a fire out" "because it was the arcade fire" and I think about it all the time.

Duckula fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 30, 2021

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
gregg looks like he's about to be executed hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that subscription is already paying off, very very worth it if this is the kind of content we can look forward to regularly