Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jim Bob?
This poll is closed.
Jim 0 0%
Bob 1 100.00%
Jim Bob 0 0%
Total: 1 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My mom has been super in to this show for forever. Probably still watches it.

Anyway :munch:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yeah, it's really horrendous. If you want to know more (it's rough and disgusting, you are warned!!) look up Debi Pearl's "How To Train Up A Child" which Michelle Duggar is famous for endorsing. A woman on tiktok just last week put out that she and her mother, although a part of the same homeschool cult in the late 90s/early 2000s were so disgusted by a speech she gave a conference they essentially left the whole thing. She claims to have a VHS of Michelle demonstrating and teaching the system. I won't describe it here because it's really upsetting and involves beating newborns and toddlers.

On a more positive note, a lot of the anti-fundie groups I read (I've been fascinated by these cults for a long time, I can probably answer any questions anyone might have,) have made it a recent thing to have this book and others like it removed from book sales sites, including re-sale/thrift bookstores. Small victory, but every person who can recognize what this cult is - one of abuse, violence, child abuse, sexual abuse and child sexual abuse, the better.

I judt looked the book up on Wikipedia:

quote:

The book advises parents to use objects like a 0.25 in (6.4 mm) diameter plastic tube to spank children and "break their will". It also mentions withholding food and putting children under a cold garden hose.

How the gently caress does a book that advises parents to break their child's will even get published. This is mental.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That book is still sold in plenty of little "folksy" tourist attractions. Near my hometown I remember seeing it for sale at an apple orchard right next to the gift cards and jams and jellies. I didn't know what it was at the time but I remembered the unusual name when I heard about it online later. I wonder if they even know what's in it

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Wasn't there a whole thing about the Duggars living off of donations or getting like truckloads of groceries donated constantly

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sigher posted:

I judt looked the book up on Wikipedia:

How the gently caress does a book that advises parents to break their child's will even get published. This is mental.

Have you even met americans

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have you even met americans

Being one, yes, and I've never met a single person like this.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sigher posted:

What the gently caress.

Another of the evils of "blanket training" as the baby grows up is evident in the Duggars smiles.

Look at any picture of them and you will see them doing a rictus simulacra of a smile that exudes no joy, no happiness, no warmth, with glassy dead eyes.

This is because sadness, and "bad thoughts" are a sin. and make you a bad person which means you will get in trouble. So the "trained" child learns to put on the face of "I'm happy! I love Jesus! I am happy in the love of Jesus always! Don't hurt me, don't hurt me, don't hurt me. I am a good boy/girl." lest they be punished for the sin of making Duggar/fundie life look bad.

Cults are bad. American Christian cults especially so.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
here's a fun thought exercise: why don't evangelicals make more hay out of the fact that the catholic church has engaged in a centuries long pedophile conspiracy? Jack Chick called them moon-worshipping idolators, but not pedophiles. i. wonder. why.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

suuma posted:

Wasn't there a whole thing about the Duggars living off of donations or getting like truckloads of groceries donated constantly

Jim Bob owns a hardware store, right?
If that does well, it could provide enough for a family of 19, but one has to wonder how the kids who have 4-8 kids of their own make a living on a single income. Arkansas isn't an expensive place to live but the Northwest corner is the priciest part of the state.

Josh went from DC lobbyist to car salesman. How do kids not live in poverty?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

here's a fun thought exercise: why don't evangelicals make more hay out of the fact that the catholic church has engaged in a centuries long pedophile conspiracy? Jack Chick called them moon-worshipping idolators, but not pedophiles. i. wonder. why.

It destroys your voting block. It's all about banning abortion, homosexuals and owning libs. When you get rid of the libs and undesirables then you can go after the Papists.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

He called Muslims the moon-worshipping idolators

He called the Catholics cookie-hocking hucksters

Edit: I don't know if his art style just improved between these two tracts or if his hate for Catholics so exceeds his hate for Muslims that he at least made the Muslim man look like a human being while the Catholic guys look like a cross between :sickos: and Gargamel

Heath fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 30, 2021

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bim Job

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Adjacent religious question:

So your US brand Fundie Christians hate the Muslims and the Catholics. And are themselves mostly weird mutant Lutherans. (I think Evangelicals are Lutherans?)

What do they think about the Anglicans? By far the most inoffensive of Christians, (to my limited knowledge).

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

they have no idea who they are

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

So your US brand Fundie Christians hate the Muslims and the Catholics. And are themselves mostly weird mutant Lutherans. (I think Evangelicals are Lutherans?)

What do they think about the Anglicans? By far the most inoffensive of Christians, (to my limited knowledge).

Oh no shug, they’re Baptist offshoots and they’d be horrified you thought they were Lutherans. And lol, anyone that’s not their specific insular home church is evil, they don’t even know what Anglicans are. They can’t even accurately quote the Bible.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

(I think Evangelicals are Lutherans?)

What?

Evangelicals don't even know Anglicans are Episcopalians .

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Oh no shug, they’re Baptist offshoots and they’d be horrified you thought they were Lutherans. And lol, anyone that’s not their specific insular home church is evil, they don’t even know what Anglicans are.

As long as Evangelicals have other Americans to call unAmerican, no matter what ever esoteric, vaguely different offshoot they are there will always be bridge building and fellowship in righteousness.
When the infidels are finally dealt with it will be knives out.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

They can’t even accurately quote the Bible.

Much like the US Constitution, Evangelicals love documents that say what they think they say rather than what they really say. It's curious that fundamentalists never keep kosher or dress, etc. The ready reply is, "Jesus liberated us from those rules." Can anyone find the quotes where Jesus says we can lay off traditional Jewish strictures?

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 30, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're really, truly and unfathomably stupid. You could not write a dumber caricature of one if you tried

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Evangelicals are not Lutherans, the Lutheran Church in the US is one of the more liberal, holding pride days for gays for Jesus and whatnot.

Evangelicals are the ungodly spawn of Pentecostals, and they mostly identify as Southern Baptists, Southern Baptists being distinguishable from all other Baptists by their pure hate-fueled rhetoric that defies anything Christ said.

For the various loony-bin cultists that tend to be the only Whites in the US shot in the head by the cops/Feds, it doesn't really matter what denomination they identify with because their actual faith is "God wants me to rape 15 year old girls, some of which may be my offspring"

And OFC they're always the only tiny little band of dipshits that "understands the true word of God" and the only thing they hate [i[almost[/i] as much as the gays is any sort of moderate Christian sect, including the Catholics, for silver perspective. Sometimes they're LDS who broke with the mainstream Mornons because the Church of LDS has decided (publicly) that bigamy and child rape are bad.

E: E;F;B badly, like the child of an evangelical cult.

BTW all this poo poo is really interesting historically, it all stems from a combination of most American Colonists being religious wackadoos, with one thing the US Constitution gets absolutely right, which is "the government won't interfere with religion" and in true American fashion completely fucks up anything good.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 30, 2021

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Elviscat posted:

BTW all this poo poo is really interesting historically, it all stems from a combination of most American Colonists being religious wackadoos, with one thing the US Constitution gets absolutely right, which is "the government won't interfere with religion" and in true American fashion completely fucks up anything good.

Europe, you want to know why your internecine religious wars never went past 1500s. The religious zealots were shipped to America. Remember that the next time a US religious fundie does or says some thing outrageous.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 30, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Man, we were just randomly talking about the Duggar shitshow after dinner the other night, so the timing is more than a bit eerie for me.

Was he another in the long line of dumbasses who bragged about being part of the Capitol raid?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Here are the names

i have a feeling the mother picked exactly none of those

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Automatic Slim posted:

Europe, you want to know why your internecine religious wars never went past 1500s. The religious zealots were shipped to America. Remember that the next time a US religious fundie does or says some thing outrageous.

Uh...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some saying he was a capitol insurrectionist, others say a child predator. I think we can all be happy by saying it's perfectly possible he was both

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Automatic Slim posted:

Jim Bob owns a hardware store, right?
If that does well, it could provide enough for a family of 19, but one has to wonder how the kids who have 4-8 kids of their own make a living on a single income. Arkansas isn't an expensive place to live but the Northwest corner is the priciest part of the state.

Josh went from DC lobbyist to car salesman. How do kids not live in poverty?

Most of the adult kids with kids of their own appear on Counting On, and are either paid themselves or through Jim Bob. The adult daughters and daughter-in-laws are all influencers with substantial followers. A few wrote a book five-ish years ago (not long before the original scandal broke). The sons and son-in-laws are uniformly deadbeats. One of the sons ran for state government and lost to a democrat. In butt-gently caress Arkansas. LOL. The second oldest daughter (Jill) had a falling out with the family, but as so far remained fairly tight-lipped about the family. She was one of Josh's victims. Her husband just graduated law school so may have a shot at actually supporting their family. They'd both been delivering for Uber to make ends meet.

Josh and Anna and their kids live on Jim Bob's property in a guest house with no windows. That is not a joke.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It’s not even a guest house, it’s like, a storage unit/warehouse thing.

My favorite is that the Dugs required, in addition to completely raising their siblings, cooking all meals, cleaning the whole home, all of the laundry and teaching their siblings, the girls also had to yell “NIKE” in public if they passed a woman or girl not sufficiently encased in ankle length denim skirts... completely ignoring Matthew 5:29

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

DickParasite posted:

One of the sons ran for state government and lost to a democrat. In butt-gently caress Arkansas. LOL.

Northwest Arkansas is surprisingly blue for a red state.

DickParasite posted:

The second oldest daughter (Jill) had a falling out with the family, but as so far remained fairly tight-lipped about the family. She was one of Josh's victims. Her husband just graduated law school so may have a shot at actually supporting their family. They'd both been delivering for Uber to make ends meet.

Good for them. They're worth rooting for.

The TV gravy train isn’t going to last forever. Maybe books and IG taps into a niche enough market to make a living.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 30, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

someone ought to pluck his rod and cast it out

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There should totally be an agency for wiping out all these compund cult clans. Have a judge just mass proscribe them as organisations one after the other, and send goons to incarcerate anyone judged to be at the top of the tree.

gently caress your freedoms, cults should be illegal and if you don't like it elect a new government.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Jill and Derrick are slightly more mainstream that the rest of the cult, but they’re still racist, sexist, homophobic and transphobic. Don’t go throwing a parade.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

There should totally be an agency for wiping out all these compund cult clans. Have a judge just mass proscribe them as organisations one after the other, and send goons to incarcerate anyone judged to be at the top of the tree.

gently caress your freedoms, cults should be illegal and if you don't like it elect a new government.

This is a doomsday final days prepper”s wet dream.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Automatic Slim posted:

Good for them. They're worth rooting for.

For sure. Worth pointing out though is that they've distanced themselves from the Duggars and the particular strain of pentecostal nuttery that the Duggars subscribe to, they're still conservative evangelical christians. Derrick (Jill's husband) got them kicked off the show when he repeatedly mis-gendered the trans star of another TLC reality show.

e: beaten like a blanket-trained baby

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Jill and Derrick are slightly more mainstream that the rest of the cult, but they’re still racist, sexist, homophobic and transphobic. Don’t go throwing a parade.

Of course. It always goes back to the racism.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

This is a doomsday final days prepper”s wet dream.

Not when the artillery rolls up :guillotine:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Automatic Slim posted:

Much like the US Constitution, Evangelicals love documents that say what they think they say rather than what they really say. It's curious that fundamentalists never keep kosher or dress, etc. The ready reply is, "Jesus liberated us from those rules." Can anyone find the quotes where Jesus says we can lay off traditional Jewish strictures?

Being Christian without fully observing the Halakha was Paul's thing. His letters are in the NT, so it's going to be hard to convince Biblical supremacists to ignore them.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The reddit for the Counting On show thinks there is a good possibility that he has been arrested for Federal Motor Vehicle Crimes for trafficking in stolen parts and/or insurance fraud and money laundering across state lines. Apparently there was an FBI investigation last year involving his car lot.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Automatic Slim posted:

One of the last "pure" religious wars of Europe, was in 1712, so yeah.

Also, it's good you forgot about the Thirty Years war, the one were more than a third of the entire population of Germany died, in the name of Protestant/Catholicism.

Some would probably argue that at least some of the Yugoslav Wars of the 90's had some religious undertones, even if it was mainly about nationality and culture.

No, we thank the French Revolution for that. Glory to the Cult of Reason! The order of the day? TERROR!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

RagnarokZ posted:

Thirty Years War

True.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

sigher posted:

This is the philosophy of the preeminent christian child psychologist James Dobson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The reddit for the Counting On show thinks there is a good possibility that he has been arrested for Federal Motor Vehicle Crimes for trafficking in stolen parts and/or insurance fraud and money laundering across state lines. Apparently there was an FBI investigation last year involving his car lot.

His car lot got raided sometime in 2019 by the Department of Homeland Security. He was 100% using the lot's computers to find kiddie porn. It fits his history of 1) molesting his sisters 2) being loving stupid with computers. He probably straight up gave his credit card number to some DOJ honeypot site.