Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Londo's guards were able to wipe out a couple Shadows pretty easily, but B5's entire security team was overwhelmed by one Vorlon. That doesn't really say much about how the two races would fare in ship-to-ship combat, but it's consistent with the idea that the Vorlons are fewer in number but much stronger than the Shadows.

Londo's guards chief weapon is surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ultrafilter posted:

Londo's guards were able to wipe out a couple Shadows pretty easily, but B5's entire security team was overwhelmed by one Vorlon. That doesn't really say much about how the two races would fare in ship-to-ship combat, but it's consistent with the idea that the Vorlons are fewer in number but much stronger than the Shadows.

It's consistent with who they are as a whole; The Shadows are weaker, so they work from behind the scenes to make others do their bidding while they stay safe. The Vorlons are confident in their power and "let" the younger races do as they please so long as they behave, acting like guiding parents. And if the kids don't behave, the Vorlons can just discipline them without fear of reprisal (eg; Deathwalker).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Centauri PPGs seem to fire much faster than human models. There's no way to compare the power of each shot, but it seems possible that they had an easier time killing Shadows than the humans did Vorlons because their hand weapons are a couple centuries more advanced.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Vorlons seem to be energy beings while the Shadows still seem to have regular bodies, unless being invisible also lets them phase shift.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not sure about the shadows' strength. In the episode the long dark the invisible shadow creature/servant takes a lot of fire before being wiped out. It may simply be that the shadows have a wider variety of physical prowess than the vorlons.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ultrafilter posted:

Iirc, the Centauri were second only to the Minbari when it came to tech, so much so that the Narns became a major power on the back of derelicts Centauritech. So their weapons are probably much more powerful than whatever EarthForce had access to.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, first of all, all of you suck not getting the monty python reference.

The shadows that Londo's guards merk are caught entirely by surprise, which is going to go a long way to killing something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Okay, first of all, all of you suck not getting the monty python reference.

The shadows that Londo's guards merk are caught entirely by surprise, which is going to go a long way to killing something.

No we got it.

We’re just ignoring it :v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

No we got it.

We’re just ignoring it :v:

:argh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

e X posted:

Iirc, the Centauri were second only to the Minbari when it came to tech, so much so that the Narns became a major power on the back of derelicts Centauritech. So their weapons are probably much more powerful than whatever EarthForce had access to.

You can probably use much stronger weapons when there's no hull integrity to worry about.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The weapons point is fair, but the B5 crew still had to mainline the station's reactor into a huge trap just to crack Kosh 2's encounter suit. I don't think Centauri PPGs are that good.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

The weapons point is fair, but the B5 crew still had to mainline the station's reactor into a huge trap just to crack Kosh 2's encounter suit. I don't think Centauri PPGs are that good.

And nothing they did actually managed much more than cracking the encounter suit. It was the remnants of Kosh and bits of Sheridan and Lorien together that grappled with Ulkesh, and they appear to have destroyed each other.

A Vorlon planning to go into combat might well put a piece of himself elsewhere, maybe enough to be reconstructed later.

Note that the Shadows seem to have had little trouble killing most of Kosh, though, when at melee range. He did defend himself. And it's possible that the poison used on Kosh in the Gathering was ultimately sourced by Shadow agents. So they can be killed more easily if you know the trick, and the Shadows seem to.

I think the only Shadows we see die "in person" on the show, besides the two the Centauri guard cut down, die to massive explosions. Unclear whether the two with Morden were simply caught off-guard or are genuinely easy to kill.

The only even vaguely canonical source I can find on this is the Mongoose RPG, which has Earthforce PPGs doing 2d6 damage while the Centauri Guard rifles do 2d8 with a higher rate of fire. Not especially helpful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not often we get good news in this thread, so: happy 71st birthday to Peter Jurasik. Enjoy this incredibly low quality video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be9jVRRfEzE

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say you're right. Keep in mind that Vorlon Planet-Killer basically went uncontested, and you'd think if the Shadows had the means to kill it then they would ASAP.

Why would they, not their problem :shrug:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also it might just be that whatever the shadows cloaking tech is isn’t compatible with the sort of armor a Vorlon has built into their encounter suit; it’s not really a measure of relative ‘might’ it’s just a very different sort of defense, which is therefore vulnerable to a different sort of attack.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I do seem to recall JMS stating that the Shadows Londo's guards shot were caught by surprise and ran off to recover, not killed. I can't for the life of me find the quote any more, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Polaron posted:

I do seem to recall JMS stating that the Shadows Londo's guards shot were caught by surprise and ran off to recover, not killed. I can't for the life of me find the quote any more, though.

Nothing about it in JMS speaks on Lurkers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Narsham posted:

The only even vaguely canonical source I can find on this is the Mongoose RPG, which has Earthforce PPGs doing 2d6 damage while the Centauri Guard rifles do 2d8 with a higher rate of fire. Not especially helpful.

Do they have stats for the Vorlons and Shadows?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely there was an rpg or card game that could answer these questions.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The RPG discussion made me dig up the PDF because I remember it from 20 years ago, and I am lolling very hard right now at the Ranger class description

Possible careers and professions: Living For The One, Dying For The One.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have some kind of B5 RPG and it's really poorly laid out, Vorlons are not a playable race and they don't really have stats available (but I couldn't really find an NPC creation section).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have some kind of B5 RPG and it's really poorly laid out, Vorlons are not a playable race and they don't really have stats available (but I couldn't really find an NPC creation section).

That sounds like the first try at it, The Babylon Project. Got one supplement and a GM screen and that was it, if I remember right. The Mongoose game had a much larger library.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

That sounds like the first try at it, The Babylon Project. Got one supplement and a GM screen and that was it, if I remember right. The Mongoose game had a much larger library.

Mongoose doesn't provide Vorlon stats in the mainline books, but there's a Vorlon/Shadow supplement that... isn't very helpful.
Shadows and Vorlons are "classes" and their hit points are therefore level-dependent.

Kosh is statted as a 15th level Vorlon, with 72 hit points. The encounter suit gives him 15 points of damage reduction plus a force field.
Ulkesh is a 10th level Vorlon, with 50 hit points. He ought to have an encounter suit but it isn't statted out.

And the Shadows have a class and racial statistic modifiers, but no sample Shadows because we never met a named Shadow in the whole series. (They do stat out Justin, though.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The art is just atrocious, and it's just.. I don't know, it gives real "lazy tie-in" vibes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The art is just atrocious, and it's just.. I don't know, it gives real "lazy tie-in" vibes.

It was a bad game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Midjack posted:

It was a bad game.

It didn't have a loving level 15 Vorlon, though.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I played in a short B5 campaign many years ago, and the main thing I remember is that a full-auto PPG burst kills everyone in the room, every time. This led to liberal use of explosives.

I have no idea why anyone plays D20 Modern.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

e X posted:

Hey, I don't know if anybody is familiar with him but SfDebris is a science fiction reviewer who is also doing Bablyon 5 and has been for at least the last 10 years. Recently he covered Interludes and Examinations and while giving his analyses of Kosh's final experience, he mentions that the Vorlons not only didn't fight the Shadows due to their gentleman's agreement, but that they also wouldn't be match in a straight up military conflict and actually need the alliance of the younger races to stand a chance.

And I am not quite sure that actually true. Like, I can't remember if we ever get actual information about the relative military strength of the two races, but I am pretty sure we never get a definite statement like that and the impression I always got from later episodes was always that they were two evenly matched foes, with the ways they engaged in their conflict totally being about proofing their respective ideologies right. I can't check the episode atm, but I appreciate if someone could clarify that for me.

I'm a big fan of SFDebris, and I will defend him a bit on this one. It's not quite clear to me how much of B5 he had seen before starting his reviews (in contrast to Star Trek, which he clearly saw all of before starting his online career). And his spoiler policy is sometimes a bit confusing, what with not reviewing episodes in order. So yes, while watching the whole show makes it clear that the Vorlons and Shadows are quite evenly matched, coming to a different conclusion is acceptable at this point of the show.

Until this episode, we basically didn't see Vorlon space forces in action at all. At most you had Kosh's ship flying around and maybe hiding a passenger, but that's it, except where they blow up Deathwalker. But Jha'dur was in an unarmed shuttle, a Drazi ship could have shot it out of the sky as effortlessly as that Vorlon ship. The only difference is that Earth would have reacted quite differently to them shooting down an Earth shuttle with human pilots and guards on board, not to mention an extremely important alien asset. The non-reaction by Earth implies the power of the Vorlons, but this is pretty subtle stuff.

In contrast, we've seen Shadow ships decimate Narn fleets with basically no losses, and chase down the most advanced ship of the younger races, full with Vorlon and Minbari technology, only being destroyed by extraordinary circumstances (that are hard to replicate). Shadow ships have been a big threat for a long time at this time, and coupled with Kosh's own statement that they are few, coming to the conclusion that the Vorlons wouldn't be a match for the Shadows would be absolutely valid with the information the viewer has up to this point, imho.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Babylon 5 CCG had Vorlons which did weird things not directly comparable to other characters (Kosh Naranek, Ambassador Kosh), a rather under-powered Ulkesh that was more there as something you play to get rid of someone else's Ambassador Kosh (in theory, I don't think it ever saw competitive play) and then later on some more regularly statted Vorlons which were very powerful but hard to actually get on the field, and therefore not really worth playing either.

Kosh Naranek did see competitive play due to the initially rather loose wording of the card but that got fixed and it was never seen again.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Why the hell would you try to review something like B5 not in order though?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CainFortea posted:

Why the hell would you try to review something like B5 not in order though?

Because he only reviews episodes that his supporters/Patreons payed him to review, or voted for him to review. And if less important/filler episodes don't get the donations/votes before later episodes, then he will review them out of order.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Torrannor posted:

Because he only reviews episodes that his supporters/Patreons payed him to review, or voted for him to review. And if less important/filler episodes don't get the donations/votes before later episodes, then he will review them out of order.

So he's basically reviewing a semi-random shuffle of the work instead of the work. Okay.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Torrannor posted:

Hmmm. Yes. I shall start a Patreon to review individual chapters of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm sure I don't need to read the whole thing for those to be relevant.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
SFDebris is good you goons.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

Is the citation to prove this in a previous episode? Cause if so I haven't seen it cause i'm an idiot who watches things out of order.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Burning_Monk posted:

SFDebris is very good and his analyses is normally spot on, hence why I ask about his statement about the Vorlons and the Shadows.He also has seen the series previously, so it's not like its a blind review of random episdoes. I think he even watched it aired iirc.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 27, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

e X posted:

SFDebris is very good and his analyses is normally spot on, hence why I ask about his statement about the Vorlons and the Shadows.He also has seen the series previously, so it's not like its a blind review of random sidesteps. I think he even watched it aired iirc.

oh I see. That's okay then.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
SFDebris is good and while I know he reviews things in a haphazard order for reasons discussed, I really wish his site reflected that fact. Episodes are ordered by the order of the actual in-series episodes, not by the order he reviewed them in. So there's no easy viewing order because sometimes he'll reference reviews of future episodes he did in the past and it's likst wha

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I like that the two non-American cast members are flicking the Vs rather than giving the middle finger. It's a sign that it wasn't just a staged photo op.