Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Oh, I just saw this:

https://twitter.com/rsgnl/status/1387522620137132040

I was planning on staying up anyways so I guess I'll stay and see if it's midnight pacific but if not I guess I'm setting an earlier alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve had the 12.9 since it was first introduced and it’s a pretty awesome size. It’s also deceivingly light which the first gen wasn’t so much.

I can’t wait for this refresh since it’s the second most used device I own.

Apple also has a generous return policy so just get it and see how you like it.

I find the size a little unwieldy in bed. A little too heavy to comfortably hold in one hand if I'm on my side.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Wish I knew I couldn’t use my apple gift card to preorder before 15 minutes ago

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

inferis posted:

Wish I knew I couldn’t use my apple gift card to preorder before 15 minutes ago

Are you sure? I just bought the new Apple TV and paid for most of it with an Apple gift card.

I went through the iPad purchasing process and it has the option to apply one as well. Sign out of the store on your browser and try again.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you sure? I just bought the new Apple TV and paid for most of it with an Apple gift card.

I went through the iPad purchasing process and it has the option to apply one as well. Sign out of the store on your browser and try again.

Oh wait it’s just with applecare monthly it won’t work???

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

inferis posted:

Oh wait it’s just with applecare monthly it won’t work???

Probably. You might need to buy just the iPad by itself and then add the AC later?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yaaaay got my order in! Boooo not arriving until June! :negative:

(I realize their shipping estimates are usually very conservative so I'm not actually concerned, and it's not like this is a need anyway.)

E: Apple offered $260 for my 1st gen 12.9" which is lower than I could get on Swappa, but not significantly so, so whatever. It got me a "free" 5G upgrade that I probably wouldn't get otherwise. I'll have to decide if I want to activate on my Verizon plan.

E2: $200 gift card if I keep it activated on a $20 line for 45 days. Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 30, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Got my preorder in for the 512 11” pro WiFi only, good ol space grey. Went through Best Buy, also picked up the 2 year Apple are in case my daughter beats it down.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Ordered a 12.9” 256gb wifi only, which is apparently a really unpopular model as I had absolutely no problems buying it. Delivery is 21/5 to 27/5, which didn’t shift at all during the half an hour (!!) I spent just looking at it in the cart wondering if I’d regret dropping this much on my first iPad.

Pretty sure I made a good decision!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trading in my 3rd gen 12.9/256 for the same model. Looks like I’m in the early June camp but that’s all right. No accessories yet as I want to see what will/won’t work before I upgrade those. I’ve been handwriting a lot more lately so I’m not worried about only having the pencil around.

That said, I do need to look at cases this time around. I’d like a light clamshell style one to use for the weekends or days at work I’ll be moving about and won’t need a keyboard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I need to figure out a case. I will miss my old one's Smart Keyboard that comes off independent of the back case since I used it keyboardless most of the time but still wanted the back cover. I may end up with a Magic Keyboard and some sort of regular case.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Pre ordered the 11" Pro WiFi only, space gray, 128 GB. Delivers 5/21 - 5/27; which is about as good as I expected.

Huge upgrade over my Mini 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the M1 chip likely to make the new Pro more than an iterative upgrade over last year's Pro? Like anything besides just being somewhat faster?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

Is the M1 chip likely to make the new Pro more than an iterative upgrade over last year's Pro? Like anything besides just being somewhat faster?

Apart from the 12.9-inch model having a MiniLED screen, they have better Cameras and thunderbolt (which may or may not be nice, depending on what actually works with it.)

The iPad Pros are comically overpowered to what iOS can actually offer. I'm upgrading from the 2018 12.9-inch Pro to this one because of the Screen tech, but I'm willing to bet if I ran the same apps side by side, performance-wise, you couldn't tell the difference.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trading in my 3rd gen 12.9/256 for the same model. Looks like I’m in the early June camp but that’s all right. No accessories yet as I want to see what will/won’t work before I upgrade those. I’ve been handwriting a lot more lately so I’m not worried about only having the pencil around.

That said, I do need to look at cases this time around. I’d like a light clamshell style one to use for the weekends or days at work I’ll be moving about and won’t need a keyboard.

I've been using the Otterbox Symmetry on my Pro for the past 2 years and it's a combination of great protection without being too "Otterbox huge" if that makes any sense. Kind of boring looking but very functional. The new generation model is supposed to be out soon. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HP352ZM/A/otterbox-symmetry-series-360-case-for-129-inch-ipad-pro-4th-generation

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

The M1 is incredibly powerful.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mine has an estimated delivery of June 7th-June 21st. That’s quiet the spread but I figure the first week of June is most likely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The M1 is incredibly powerful.

Yeah but I was wondering what it means in practical terms.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rinkles posted:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

It doesn't really mean anything as of today because Apple hasn't announced any major changes in the software the iPad runs. So it's 100% speculation from rumor dorks.

There's some suggesting that sharing the same CPU as the macbook and the huge amount of ram available means the iPad is going to get OSX but that's almost certainly bullshit (certainly not within a year, new iPad OS features have already been leaked). There's also theories that more "big" software packages (stuff like xcode) will become available for iOS as Apple continues to blur the lines between their desktops and mobile devices.

But for now the M1 is just a faster CPU than the last generation. There could be an argument that buying an M1 now gives you a chance at running whatever next big OS thing Apple has planned, kind of like the 32 to 64 bit transition in 2013, but I feel like that's 1-2 years away and by then an even better ipad will be available.

Maybe in a couple months, after WWDC, we'll know more.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hoping that you can plug your m1 iPad into a display and you get something like macos, that’s be sweet

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Last Chance posted:

Hoping that you can plug your m1 iPad into a display and you get something like macos, that’s be sweet

I would give Tim Apple thousands of dollars for this product. Let me gently caress around and play stupid games on the tablet on the couch, but give me the capability of actually doing some work on the thing too!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Maaaaan. Why didn't they do touchID Air button on the Pro. So close to perfection.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Best Buy told me my “fulfillment date” is May 21st. I guess it ships after that? Probably overnight?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m guessing there’s no way to get full screen YouTube embeds when using the Awful app? Besides opening the video in YouTube

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I’m guessing there’s no way to get full screen YouTube embeds when using the Awful app? Besides opening the video in YouTube

That is correct.

Slightly annoying but!

Watching the videos in the app doesn’t gently caress up the YT algorithm so I’ll take the trade off lol.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I find the size a little unwieldy in bed. A little too heavy to comfortably hold in one hand if I'm on my side.

11” is enough in bed

(Also that’s what she said)

(To her boyfriend)

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
My wife is an artist and runs an etsy shop where she paints watercolor portraits. She's thinking about trying out a digital process using an iPad to paint on, should she stick to a Pro or will an Air or a regular iPad suffice?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean I use the Pro 12.9” because I like the screen real estate (I prefer Clip Studio Paint over Procreate by a mile) so it has menus etc but I know a few people who even use the 9” iPad for art comfortably

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ultimately everything currently supports the Pencil 1 or 2 and the same apps (...I think), so it's mostly a matter of screen size. As you go up you get better screens, but they're all pretty good. I think the cheap one is the only non laminated screen? I'd prefer Pro/Air just cause the magnetic attachment and charging of the Pencil 2, but it's a big price gap from the cheapest iPad/Pencil combo to those.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RAM is a factor too for art.

Procreate will not let you have as many layers on large canvases if you don't have enough RAM.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
120Hz screen is meant to be "better" for painting but people have been using 60Hz Cintiqs since the stone ages so...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yes but as great as cintiqs are, they are a big pile of compromises. An iPad’s main compromise is size and otherwise destroys cintiqs in just about any other measure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the new iPad Pros for $50 off, ships same week as launch
https://www.costco.com/ipad.html?display-type=liquid-retina-xdr&refine=%7C%7CDisplay_Type_attr-Liquid%2BRetina%2BXDR

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want to pull the trigger on one of these real bad. I'm holding out until WWDC to see if the Xcode rumors pan out which I still don't believe but have been wishing for years now. Xcode would be the only reason I would go 12.9. Must... hold... out. Having that $500 Apple dev credit burning a hole in my pocket isn't making this any easier.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh what Xcode rumours? I love hot goss.

Also anyone have a good app for learning to draw? I have a pro and a pencil but I am poo poo at drawing and thought maybe there is an app that has some lessons..

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

priznat posted:

Oh what Xcode rumours? I love hot goss.

Also anyone have a good app for learning to draw? I have a pro and a pencil but I am poo poo at drawing and thought maybe there is an app that has some lessons..

There is a rumor making the rounds saying with the M1 chip Apple is going to start releasing some of it's full Mac apps on the Pro. Xcode, Final Cut Pro, etc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

priznat posted:

Maybe some YouTube video in a floating window over any drawing app :shrug:

There’s probably a bunch of apps like that (and a quick search confirms it) but hell if I know what’s good. I wish Nintendo should port their Art Academy games cause those were legitimately pretty good about teaching art stuff. (maybe hack a 3DS if you have one around :v:)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah the fact they put a “desktop class” M1 into the iPad Pro but didn’t really have a flagship app to showcase what that chip enables seems like they’re holding something back on the software side for WWDC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

priznat posted:

I'm not an artist at all, but I drew this with Procreate with this tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9vFKXELsg

And also this with another one of her tutorials.

Flo has other videos on building up skills too, such as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35rju_APLqQ

The General fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 2, 2021