Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Ffycchi's Offical Sit your rear end down in a new chair post

So after reading through quite a few posts here and only seeing "just buy hermann miller" and "all budget chairs are absolutely poo poo" I figured I would use my extensive experience of sitting on my arse in many layers of hell to give my expertise to this thread! Don't worry I've taken out any and all referral links or amazon tracking crap from the URL's. I'm not here to make money.

poo poo Tier:
Do not buy these, your back and/or arse will regret it as you age.

Literally any gaming/racing chair.
Price: $150-600

Seriously, anything that looks like this... Just don't. I don't care that your favourite streamer uses them, he gets paid to sit in them. If I got some endorsement deal tossing me six figures for just sitting in a chair while making more money doing my actual job, I would sit in them too!

I am not going to give it the courtesy of a buy it here link. If you want it, use google.

They are not ergonomic, they will fall apart quickly, the PU material will peel off, they are not good for you as you age.

poo poo tier is actually too nice for these, I wouldn't use them as a toilet. I'm going to ST that.

6mo/1year Tier:
Called because after that, throw it out. Support is gone, dead, deflated, deceased, disabled, et cetera.

Amazon Basics/ any other AMAZERN MESH BACKED "EERGONERMICZ" chair
Price: $99-300

Compared to the poo poo tier chair this is like sitting your arse on a golden throne....fooooor a month or two. After that, you might as well throw it in a bin. Consider this almost any "Mesh ergonomic chair" you see on amazon with a FEW exceptions. Just good luck digging through all the chinesium clones, fake reviews, and fake review websites to find them. I spent mooooonths on them trying to find my "perfect chair" I must have bought and sent back 30-40 of these chairs to amazon after a week of being like "oh wow...This is actually terrible. I would rather sit on a giant dildo."

The Office Depot Chair
Price: $150-300

Do you want to look like a fat cat executive? Get yourself an Office Depot Special! With PU Leather guaranteed not to start cracking and ripping off for at least 3 weeks! Oh and some of them have this air bladder plastic cushion thing under the foam that eventually breaks in some odd way and then fills up with air from the hydraulic release and you end up with one arsecheek higher than the other.....Ask me how I know...No really, I'm not kidding. I guess it would work great if you've been shot in the arse and were an arsecheek amputee or something, but for everyone else....Don't bother.

5 year tier:
No silly name here, tier is its lifespan

Eurotech Seating Ergohuman
Price range: $300-600 depending on scalpers because global pandemic chair shortage( :dafuq: )
https://www.amazon.com/Eurotech-Seating-Ergohuman-ME7ERG-Managers/dp/B01N6QL0UM

First of my recommended chairs. If you aren't paying for it. If your boss says "new chairs for the conference room!!!" but is too cheap to get the Hermann Miller/Steelcase(hereafter known as HM/SC) chairs Get these. They could probably last 10 years in a small business conference room where they aren't used terribly much, Otherwise they are overpriced for what you get. Good chair...Yeah. But at this price point id get a better used chair or something else from farther down below.

The problem with these mesh chairs is they are basically unrepairable once the mesh starts to sag, which generally starts at around 2 years, and becomes absolutely impossible to use without wanting to stab yourself in the back after 5. But hey, its for the conference room, not you. And hey, they look professional for the price so that will assuage the boss' need to stroke his ego.

Staples Hyken Task Chair
Price: $120-230(sales depending)
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Disclaimer: I have not used this chair, it has been added due to enough comments on comfort and reliability to be tiered. Please ask others for review.

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

IKEA Markus Office Chair
Price: $199.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

If it fits you it's a great chair. It doesn't have much in terms of adjustment. I would highly recommend going to your local IKEA and just sitting in one and getting a feel for it. I've heard many complaints about the armrests as well. This one comes down to personal taste/fitting which I really can't advise you on.

30 Year Tier
Wait...HOW MUCH??!!

Now we get into the big boy tier. This is where Pricing, support(warranty not physical), and material quality go up exponentially. If you can find a local office reseller and can find them there, I would highly recommend doing that because you can get them for up to a quarter of the original sticker price.

I am actually NOT going to write review's for each of these individually past this point, all of them are great chairs with lots of OHGODMYWALLET options and can last you up to 30 years with a 12 year+ warranty. Some people have even said their's have lasted longer than 30 but I'm not going down that rabbit hole of differences in construction, materials, etc of different decades...Lets just leave it at "solid option"

Hermann Miller Mirra 2
Price: $795-1500(options)
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/mirra-2-task-chair/1453.html

HM Mirra Disclaimer: This chair is the IKEA Markus of the big boys. If it fits, you'll love it. if not, you will likely hate it. I have heard about a 50/50 ratio. It doesn't fit me and some other larger people I know, but it does fit others, so I highly recommend testing before buying this specific chair.

Steelcase Leap Office Chair
Price: $899-2000(options)
https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/leap

Hermann Miller Aeron
Price: $1395-2500(options)
https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

Hermann Miller Embody
Price: $1635-3000
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/embody-task-chair/4737.html

gently caress you money tier:

Do you want to be part of the elite club of gamers??!!
Do you want to show off your cock buying power to everyone who walks in your house??!!
Do you want to show how invested in crypto you are and how you can make your guest's money too??!!
Boy have I got the chair for you!

Hermann Miller x Logitech G Embody Gaming Chair
Price: $1595
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html

It's literally just an embody with Logitech branding, gamer aesthetic, and like $40 cheaper because at this price do you really want to have that edgy of a chair?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the Office Masters are $400-$700 and still the best choice for most and deserve a slot in that effort post

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Keyser_Soze posted:

the Office Masters are $400-$700 and still the best choice for most and deserve a slot in that effort post

I haven't sat in those =(, not saying they don't deserve a spot, but yeah, this is all personal experience, and id rather not cloud it with things I can't say definitively.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Great list! Two things:

A lot of people seem to like Staples' "Hyken". It's often discounted quite a bit, too. Anyone with first-hand experience? Seems like a nice cheap-ish option for people.

Second: what is up with Herman Miller being firmly against headrests? Are headrests just never ergonomical, or is it just a weird look for office people beyond people using them in their homes or something?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ffycchi posted:

I haven't sat in those =(, not saying they don't deserve a spot, but yeah, this is all personal experience, and id rather not cloud it with things I can't say definitively.

I believe they are the chairs we've all had in every mega corp office building since the 1990's and are usually in the "not amazing or hip but comfortable enough and built to last" category especially if you order and customize. I've had one since 2018 and it's a tank and comfy. If you go waaaaay back in this thread like 2014 you will see some goon start recommending them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 19, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

kliras posted:

Great list! Two things:

A lot of people seem to like Staples' "Hyken". It's often discounted quite a bit, too. Anyone with first-hand experience? Seems like a nice cheap-ish option for people.

Second: what is up with Herman Miller being firmly against headrests? Are headrests just never ergonomical, or is it just a weird look for office people beyond people using them in their homes or something?

Havent used those either or i would have linked them =( sorry.

As for headrest's, see (options)

Keyser_Soze posted:

I believe they are the chairs we've all had in every mega corp office building since the 1990's and are usually in the "not amazing or hip but comfortable enough and built to last" category especially if you order and customize. I've had one since 2019 and it's a tank and comfy. If you go waaaaay back in this thread like 2014 you will see some goon start recommending them.

Ive probably sat in them, almost guaranteed I have, I just cant be like "oh look i bought this and lets try it out!"

So I can't really post it in there.

After pandemic i'll probably grab a few more and try them out and add them to the tier list.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My last Hyken lasted about 4 years before the armrests peeled all to poo poo and the air went out of the pump so it wouldn't rise anymore. It's about the best you can do for $150 I think (and if you can wait it out it not infrequently goes on sale for $100-120, or did before The Great Covid Chair Rush). The big reason why is that the bottom is also mesh, not just the back, so you won't be feeling the plastic beneath the cheap cushion jamming into your rear end after a month, like you will with any cushioned chair under $800.

Not everyone likes the feel of sitting on the mesh, though, and that goes triple if you wear shorts (um, or less) a lot while sitting in your chair. Going to your local Staples to test if possible is recommended.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I’ve read recently the Haworth Zody is a solid buy in the Leap/Mira/Aeron price tier. Though have no experience with that company or chair.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

kliras posted:

Great list! Two things:

Yes, I'm in one RIGHT NOW!!!

Pretty much what Eric the Mauve said. I have a seat cushion on it, so the mesh seat only bothers me if I cross my legs wearing shorts/a skirt and stay there for a while, which I shouldn't be doing anyway because terrible posture lol.

Another bonus for short people like me is that the seat depth is a bit shorter than most other chairs at this price point (and very few cheap chairs let you adjust that), so I can actually sit with my back against the back of the thing.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

My last Hyken lasted about 4 years before the armrests peeled all to poo poo and the air went out of the pump so it wouldn't rise anymore. It's about the best you can do for $150 I think (and if you can wait it out it not infrequently goes on sale for $100-120, or did before The Great Covid Chair Rush). The big reason why is that the bottom is also mesh, not just the back, so you won't be feeling the plastic beneath the cheap cushion jamming into your rear end after a month, like you will with any cushioned chair under $800.

Not everyone likes the feel of sitting on the mesh, though, and that goes triple if you wear shorts (um, or less) a lot while sitting in your chair. Going to your local Staples to test if possible is recommended.

So in these cases, I would rank it around the 5-year tier. Worse than the Elusion, better than the Euroverpriced conference room chair

The Electronaut posted:

I’ve read recently the Haworth Zody is a solid buy in the Leap/Mira/Aeron price tier. Though have no experience with that company or chair.

Me either. Ill probably grab more after covid prices and try it out.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yes, I'm in one RIGHT NOW!!!

Pretty much what Eric the Mauve said. I have a seat cushion on it, so the mesh seat only bothers me if I cross my legs wearing shorts/a skirt and stay there for a while, which I shouldn't be doing anyway because terrible posture lol.

Another bonus for short people like me is that the seat depth is a bit shorter than most other chairs at this price point (and very few cheap chairs let you adjust that), so I can actually sit with my back against the back of the thing.

Yeah this solidifies its ranking, its not adjustable enough/too meshy to hit the 10 year tier.

edit: due to the responses even though I haven't sat in it(which ill add as a disclaimer), ill add it in there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IMO the only options really worth considering are ~$150 every 3-4 years for something in the Elusion/Hyken group or laying out the four digits for a Real Chair that will last most of your life. I don't think you get nearly enough value in that $600 range over an Elusion to justify the expense given you're halfway to a Real Chair at that point.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

IMO the only options really worth considering are ~$150 every 3-4 years for something in the Elusion/Hyken group or laying out the four digits for a Real Chair that will last most of your life. I don't think you get nearly enough value in that $600 range over an Elusion to justify the expense given you're halfway to a Real Chair at that point.

I generally agree with this viewpoint, though while I have sat on many chairs, I have not sat on them ALL and as such cant give a 100% agreement to it, Who knows...There may be a 600$ chair that IS just that good.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Leap V2 owners: how tightly did the seat glides fit on when you put the chair together? Crandall support wants to tell me it's "100% normal" for one to be so loose I can tap it lightly and it falls off, while the one on the other side is pretty snug, and to just "use petroleum jelly to hold it in place". Didn't respond to followup for any fallback options if that didn't work. Considering what a pain it is to get these things back apart once they're together... is this actually normal?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

Leap V2 owners: how tightly did the seat glides fit on when you put the chair together? Crandall support wants to tell me it's "100% normal" for one to be so loose I can tap it lightly and it falls off, while the one on the other side is pretty snug, and to just "use petroleum jelly to hold it in place". Didn't respond to followup for any fallback options if that didn't work. Considering what a pain it is to get these things back apart once they're together... is this actually normal?
Are the glides on and functioning? They are the only somewhat confusing part of the assembly.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Khorne posted:

Are the glides on and functioning? They are the only somewhat confusing part of the assembly.

I hadn't attached the seat yet in case I actually got a response from Crandall in the meantime. Know it's a pain in the rear end to take back off and didn't want to step over that line if there was a surprise "actually you need a replacement part".
I did put the glides on, though. No way to check "functioning", but the right one holds great. Just the left that nearly falls off when touched.

Left is on the bottom, to see the actual glides.

e: comparison from yesterday, forgot I had recorded it
https://imgur.com/a/toYEEkb

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 23, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also, for $220 with the headrest, the Clatima Ergonomic chair is a drat good buy.

Very solid, stable recline, adjustable seat depth, lumbar height, arm height/width, and non-protruding controls.

Mine get daily use for 8+ hours due to WFH and they're great for under $250.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SkyeAuroline posted:

I hadn't attached the seat yet in case I actually got a response from Crandall in the meantime. Know it's a pain in the rear end to take back off and didn't want to step over that line if there was a surprise "actually you need a replacement part".
I did put the glides on, though. No way to check "functioning", but the right one holds great. Just the left that nearly falls off when touched.

Left is on the bottom, to see the actual glides.

e: comparison from yesterday, forgot I had recorded it
https://imgur.com/a/toYEEkb

I have a Steelcase Think (v1) and the seat glides fall off if you look at them, but the actual seat has channels in that hold the glides in place so it doesn't matter if they are loose on the frame.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

I have a Steelcase Think (v1) and the seat glides fall off if you look at them, but the actual seat has channels in that hold the glides in place so it doesn't matter if they are loose on the frame.

Cool. That's what I figured but wanted to be sure. I'll put it together this afternoon when I'm home then.

E: Went together fine. Observations:

• Seat sort of... Rattles when I'm not sitting on it. There's a bit of vertical space where it can tilt back and forth. Fine when I'm on it as far as I can tell. (E2: Amending that, it tilts the seat slightly forward when I sit on it... which doesn't feel intended and is probably responsible for the ridiculous tightness in my thighs sitting on it)
  • Feels slightly tilted to the left. That said, so does my chair at work (never noticed with my current home chair), so maybe it's actually my spine that's hosed up, or something. Hard to tell.
  • There was no cylinder cover included. I basically never adjust the height of my chair but I sure hope this doesn't come back as a problem, especially since I only noticed it was missing after everything went together.
  • Lumbar support is AGGRESSIVE but I've heard it can be removed. I'll see how I do with it as is.
  • This is a V2 with the 4D arms. Only figured out up/down and forward/back yet. No issues that would make me need it currently, but these do have some sort of sideways function, right?
  • The 75mm casters don't hate my carpet near as much as 65s did.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 24, 2021

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
How does the Clatina compare to the Elusion? How can I get a headrest for the Elusion? I looked for mention of (options), but I can’t find it.
There’s some Leap V2s listed on CL for $250 an hour away. Hopefully they are still available

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Valicious posted:

How does the Clatina compare to the Elusion? How can I get a headrest for the Elusion? I looked for mention of (options), but I can’t find it.
There’s some Leap V2s listed on CL for $250 an hour away. Hopefully they are still available

Elusion doesn't have headrests. It does have holes for them. Takes some googling and DIY(putting wing nuts and screws through the holes in the chair) but can be done.

Options for elusion is just fully different models. High back, mid back, black and white.

That being said...why are you considering the elusion if you still have sc/hm's used around you for sane prices.

The tier list is "get something in tier 5 if you can for a good price...if not get tier 4."

Anything below tier 3 is generally a waste of time.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 25, 2021

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
The Leap v2 was snatched up before I could get it, but there’s a Leap v1 for $300. Is the v1 still good? Does being the older version going to mean it’s old as heck?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're buying a chair that's 15 years old at that point, in my opinion it's not worth $300. 15 years of wear on the gas piston, 15 years of rear end being pushed through the upholstery, no thanks.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Valicious posted:

The Leap v2 was snatched up before I could get it, but there’s a Leap v1 for $300. Is the v1 still good? Does being the older version going to mean it’s old as heck?

As Thanks Ants said....could that chair last quite a few more year's ...yeah...but you're going to have to spend $£€ to refurbish it. I'd either get a t3-4 or wait for a newer one.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The big reason why is that the bottom is also mesh, not just the back, so you won't be feeling the plastic beneath the cheap cushion jamming into your rear end after a month, like you will with any cushioned chair under $800.

Also I feel like I should mention this, the reason the alera elusion is ranked higher not including the insane levels of adjustment it has is because the cushion is on level with said $800 chairs.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 26, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Valicious posted:

I'm not gonna tell you what to do or assume you're financial situation, but on account of a coupon (may or may not be valid still, was plastered on their site), did manage the Leap V2 I've talked about for slightly under $500 shipped from Crandall. I would take the advice of others here and not bet on an old used chair without expecting you'll be putting more into it to bring it up to snuff, and even then won't quite match new. The costs will pretty rapidly close the difference there.

On the V2 note, getting things mostly dialed in now. I think the main issue right now is not having a foot rest low enough; thighs too high would explain the tension, at least. Still some hip/lower back discomfort when sitting for a few hours, but it fades within 5 minutes instead of sticking around for hours like the old chair, so I'm already gonna call it a win - especially for all of two days in on a new chair after using the old one for years.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

SkyeAuroline posted:

On the V2 note, getting things mostly dialed in now. I think the main issue right now is not having a foot rest low enough; thighs too high would explain the tension, at least. Still some hip/lower back discomfort when sitting for a few hours, but it fades within 5 minutes instead of sticking around for hours like the old chair, so I'm already gonna call it a win - especially for all of two days in on a new chair after using the old one for years.

This is actually one of the most important things for the top tier chairs and the alera elusion.(Markus not included in this due to lack of adjustments)

They do not magically fit you out of the box.

They are not made to magically fit you out of the box.

You will spend a week or three getting them adjusted perfectly for you. Everyone has different leg and torso lengths.

However once you've done that, they are an absolute godsend.

Edit: not meant for you mate, just general knowledge for others :)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hey chair goons, I'm the classic SA cliche of a huge guy looking for gaming/general computer use chair. I have a fair amount of money set aside and after a bit of research I have decided thst I am willing to invest them into something like Steelcase/Herman Miller, but an extra wrinkle is that I'm on the taller side, being solidly 6' 6'' and I noticed that a lot of SteelCase and Herman Miller chairs, even some of those aimed at tall and heavy people, have cutoff for recommened height at 6' 5" and that makes me extra nervous about choosing, becouse even one inch can do a lot if you are sitting there 8 hours a day. So far, my leading candidate is Herman Miller Aero Size C, which seems to be one of the few chairs designed for my height, but having more alternatives would be nice. Any recommendations for ergonomic chairs specifically designed for tall people?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Lt. Lizard posted:

So far, my leading candidate is Herman Miller Aero Size C, which seems to be one of the few chairs designed for my height, but having more alternatives would be nice. Any recommendations for ergonomic chairs specifically designed for tall people?

6’5” and have a Gesture and an Aeron C, I like both.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I just got in my ErgoChair 2, and while my back doesn't hurt, I kind of can't feel it because my rear end hurts now instead. The seat on it just seems REALLY uncomfortable to me, did anyone else who go this have this issue?

I may end up sending it back and trying something else.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hey chair goons, I'm the classic SA cliche of a huge guy looking for gaming/general computer use chair. I have a fair amount of money set aside and after a bit of research I have decided thst I am willing to invest them into something like Steelcase/Herman Miller, but an extra wrinkle is that I'm on the taller side, being solidly 6' 6'' and I noticed that a lot of SteelCase and Herman Miller chairs, even some of those aimed at tall and heavy people, have cutoff for recommened height at 6' 5" and that makes me extra nervous about choosing, becouse even one inch can do a lot if you are sitting there 8 hours a day. So far, my leading candidate is Herman Miller Aero Size C, which seems to be one of the few chairs designed for my height, but having more alternatives would be nice. Any recommendations for ergonomic chairs specifically designed for tall people?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=99#post514109504

Quoted because I got someone taller than you in my alera elusion.

Probably heavier too.

Get it off Amazon. If it doesn't fit. Send it back. Try IKEA Markus as well. Avoid the mirra.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2021

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Got my ErgoChair 2 from Autonomous packed back up.

tl;dr: The seat cushion was uncomfortable as gently caress, and this comes from someone who's sat in $60 walmart chairs all the way up to using a Herman Miller Aeron. I'm overweight but jfc that seat cushion was not good.

Red flags I should have paid more attention to: 2 year warranty. They sell all sorts of "smart" things (desks, monitor arms, etc) that are way overpriced. (Why not try their $700 smart desk for juniors because ????)

Pros:
- Materials were sturdy. Not thin plastic, but plastic for most of it all the same. Still they were heavy.
- Easy assembly. Very straightforward.
- Neck rest
- lots of adjustments (Back, seat, tilt, tilt lock, tension)
- Looked nice (Got the black and white).

Cons:
The seat cushion was ghastly. It felt like I was sitting on plastic. It just was not comfortable. My back wasn't hurting, but my whole butt to knees were. I've sat in a lot of chairs from cheap-o Walmart ones up to higher end Herman Miller office chairs. This seat cushion was atrocious. Two hours later I swapped out for my cheapo big and Tall office chair from Wal-Mart (Specifically: Serta Big & Tall Office Chair with Memory Foam, Model #: 49734). I could not find an angle that played nice at all. It took me two hours to realize this wasn't worth keeping at all.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Gothmog1065 posted:

Got my ErgoChair 2 from Autonomous packed back up.

tl;dr: The seat cushion was uncomfortable as gently caress, and this comes from someone who's sat in $60 walmart chairs all the way up to using a Herman Miller Aeron. I'm overweight but jfc that seat cushion was not good.

Cons:
The seat cushion was ghastly. It felt like I was sitting on plastic. It just was not comfortable. My back wasn't hurting, but my whole butt to knees were. I've sat in a lot of chairs from cheap-o Walmart ones up to higher end Herman Miller office chairs. This seat cushion was atrocious. Two hours later I swapped out for my cheapo big and Tall office chair from Wal-Mart (Specifically: Serta Big & Tall Office Chair with Memory Foam, Model #: 49734). I could not find an angle that played nice at all. It took me two hours to realize this wasn't worth keeping at all.

I have the same issue with my used Leap v2; after an hour my butt falls asleep. Even had the cushion replaced with no change in comfort. A shame because it's great otherwise.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
FWIW, I have an Autonomous Kinn and like it quite a bit.

It's a very different sort of chair, and if your problem was a lack of cushion on the ergo, you might find this worse. (the seat has no cushion; it';s mesh covering a net of springs, which makes it fairly firm, but with a lot of bouncy give. I find it super supportive, without having the problems of, say, a hard uncushioned chair, but it definitely isn't cushy. It's on the "I don't care for this but it's not a dealbreaker con" list for a chair that I mainly like because it's back support is, IMO absolutely amazing for price.

Edit: lol, since last fall they appear to have 1) Rebranded it as the Ergochair Pro +, and 2) Raised the price by 300 dollars from what I paid. Never loving mind just get a loving steelcase/herman miller.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was deciding between the Kinn/Pro+ and the Embody and eventually figured I might as well just buy the Embody instead of the knockoff and I don't regret it at all.

EDIT: Prior to this my favorite chair was the Aeron though, so I'm already biased towards mesh-type seats over proper cushions.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 29, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Starting to wonder if the lower back/tailbone pain is from how high my chair has to be to meet a standard desk. Can't exactly lower my existing desk and I have a footrest, but shifting weight onto the footrest is a thing I haven't figured out (considering how far off axis it has to be to, yknow... work as a footrest). Leap's cushion sure isn't very good at supporting tailbone area though as it is. Just thinking on it today since my work desk chair, poo poo as it is, doesn't have this problem, and the only thing it has over the Leap is that it's down low enough I can just have my feet on the ground. I dunno. Just want pain to go away.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you have a chair you like but the cushion puts your butt to sleep when you sit for long hours, try one of those beaded wood seat cover things. Taxi drivers love them for a reason. I got this cheap one to try: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autotrends-beaded-seat-cushion-0321471p.html

It works well. If my butt starts feeling tired just wiggle a bit to get a different set of pressure points. It also allows some air flow which is nice if your chair gets too warm in the summer. The only problem I've had is since my chair doesn't have a headrest, the connections designed for a car seat don't suit. I've tried a couple ways of attaching it and after a while it always falls off. If I were buying again I'd try to find one that is just the seat area, the back beads are unnecessary, add extra weight, and connecting them to an adjustable chair is challenging.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inspector_666 posted:

I was deciding between the Kinn/Pro+ and the Embody and eventually figured I might as well just buy the Embody instead of the knockoff and I don't regret it at all.

EDIT: Prior to this my favorite chair was the Aeron though, so I'm already biased towards mesh-type seats over proper cushions.

Wait, I'm confused; the Embody doesn't have a mesh seat option, does it?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Starting to wonder if the lower back/tailbone pain is from how high my chair has to be to meet a standard desk. Can't exactly lower my existing desk and I have a footrest, but shifting weight onto the footrest is a thing I haven't figured out (considering how far off axis it has to be to, yknow... work as a footrest). Leap's cushion sure isn't very good at supporting tailbone area though as it is. Just thinking on it today since my work desk chair, poo poo as it is, doesn't have this problem, and the only thing it has over the Leap is that it's down low enough I can just have my feet on the ground. I dunno. Just want pain to go away.

I'm curious what the height differential is between your work and home desk.

What footrest are you using? The footrest I use at home is an ottoman from some sofa set that's 19" tall, which comes about in line with my seat pan height. This allows me to have my legs sticking straight out and be fully supported from knee to ankle. Of course, I'm not sure if doing that would put more or less load on your tailbone. Then again, if it's lower back and not tailbone specifically, it could be that having your legs dangling a bit too much is causing something else to be going on in your lower back . . . years ago, I had lower back pain that I was TERRIFIED that it was some sort of slipped disc, but it turned out that my hamstrings were just so tight that it was pulling on my back in bad ways, and stretching regularly was able to fix it. Lower backs are weird.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

I'm curious what the height differential is between your work and home desk.

What footrest are you using? The footrest I use at home is an ottoman from some sofa set that's 19" tall, which comes about in line with my seat pan height. This allows me to have my legs sticking straight out and be fully supported from knee to ankle. Of course, I'm not sure if doing that would put more or less load on your tailbone. Then again, if it's lower back and not tailbone specifically, it could be that having your legs dangling a bit too much is causing something else to be going on in your lower back . . . years ago, I had lower back pain that I was TERRIFIED that it was some sort of slipped disc, but it turned out that my hamstrings were just so tight that it was pulling on my back in bad ways, and stretching regularly was able to fix it. Lower backs are weird.

Tailbone specifically, though I was getting thigh tension for a while. My desk at work is lowered 2" from standard height, while my home desk is standard height (it's one of those IKEA modular desks, on the metal legs with a drawer cabinet).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Tailbone specifically, though I was getting thigh tension for a while. My desk at work is lowered 2" from standard height, while my home desk is standard height (it's one of those IKEA modular desks, on the metal legs with a drawer cabinet).

Ah, I was just wondering because I have sit/stand desks, and I think different brands of those have different minimum heights. I'm not 100% certain what the minimum height on mine are at the moment, though, because all my stuff is in storage.

Speaking of: I'm in a temporary apartment setup, and the chair I have available is a Cort Affinity, and this thing is a Task Chair in every loving sense of the word. When I bought my Cosm, I wasn't 100% certain that I didn't just somehow trick myself into liking it because I had decided that I wanted it before I went to the store to sit in it, and/or doing the opposite of Buyer's Remorse and deciding I liked it because it was expensive. After sitting in this chair for 8+ hours a day (only done two days so far) I would do . . . . things . . . terrible things . . . to have my own chair back. This is going to be a long two months . . . .

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zarin posted:

Not straight mesh, but it's also not an actual cushion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Inspector_666 posted:

Not straight mesh, but it's also not an actual cushion.

Oh! I didn't realize that.

Hell, I even sat in one for a couple minutes at the store :downs: