Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have a big heavy 1982 trek 520 that's a road/touring bike, but it has two gears on the front chainring and steep hills suck. i want to go triple before my next tour but my LBS suggested putting on an ovular triple on the front. i watched a youtube video and kinda understand it, but is it worth it for my type of bike? bike shop guy sounds a little evangelist for them so i want a second opinion

vvvv cool, thank you

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ovoid chainrings come and go as a fad. There has been contradictory evidence as to whether they actually work or not, and personal anecdotes vary.

If you want it, go for it, if you don't, don't let anyone talk you into it.

My personal experience is that they are good for a single speed. Out if the saddles mashing at a low RPM feels smoother. I don't notice it in any other scenario.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I might have screwed up my cable length, and my front brake line has been rubbing against the head tube on my frame when I turn right and there's some light scratches. I stuck some clear 3M vinyl on there because I don't want to fix it. Anyway just here to confess, see ya.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

i say swears online posted:

i have a big heavy 1982 trek 520 that's a road/touring bike, but it has two gears on the front chainring and steep hills suck. i want to go triple before my next tour but my LBS suggested putting on an ovular triple on the front. i watched a youtube video and kinda understand it, but is it worth it for my type of bike? bike shop guy sounds a little evangelist for them so i want a second opinion

vvvv cool, thank you

Oval chainrings are real faddy, and won't make a noticeable difference if your gearing just isn't easy enough for steep hills. They particularly don't work well with front shifting.

To actually solve your issue - do you need a triple, or do you need just easier gears? i.e. how often are you using your hardest gears?
Going to a triple will require a new crankset and new rear derailleur. Going to just an easier double will either require just new chainrings, or maybe a new crankset, but your rear derailleur should be okay.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah frankly I've got a really nice legacy front derailleur that I dont wanna get rid of. I'm at like a 52/40 or something insane, I just didnt want to get a double and not have it be enough. I'm rarely if ever in my topmost gear

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah frankly I've got a really nice legacy front derailleur that I dont wanna get rid of. I'm at like a 52/40 or something insane, I just didnt want to get a double and not have it be enough. I'm rarely if ever in my topmost gear

I think if you want any more specific advice we'll need to know the details of your current drivetrain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I think if you want any more specific advice we'll need to know the details of your current drivetrain.
this, and whether you actually use the top end.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just didnt want to get a double and not have it be enough. I'm rarely if ever in my topmost gear
I am a bit crazy and run a 24t/40t double. I find the range good for me with a cassette that goes down to 11t. I spend 97% of the time in my 40t chainring and use the 24t as a bailout.

It was a bit too slow with a freewheel that only went down to 14t.

Also, setting up shifting is a lot easier with a double than a triple when you have chainrings that aren't matched.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If there is a hell and the person who designed the cheapo Bengal Helix 2.1 hydro brakes ends up there they're probably going to be cursed to an eternity of setting them up so they don't rub.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Man_of_Teflon posted:

effeto Mariposa caffelatex

oddly it seems to not weep at all through 38c gravelking slicks

Orange Seal. If you can't get it locally have it shipped from a far off land or something...or figure out the recipe.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

If there is a hell and the person who designed the cheapo Bengal Helix 2.1 hydro brakes ends up there they're probably going to be cursed to an eternity of setting them up so they don't rub.

'The brake rub? Oh, that'll scrub in.'

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://bikepacking.com/news/tubolito-psens/

the dumbest poo poo (and they're not even accurate according to tests :lol:)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Bottom Liner posted:

https://bikepacking.com/news/tubolito-psens/

the dumbest poo poo (and they're not even accurate according to tests :lol:)

Well, no need for these any more *chops off thumb and index finger*

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Al2001 posted:

Well, no need for these any more *chops off thumb and index finger*

You just saved way more than the 5 extra grams from the tubilito pnes chip.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

get a more ergonomic saddle and you probably won't need to gently caress around with a psnes inflator

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

"The chip has no battery and uses a weak signal that requires the smart phone to be close (about 3cm) to the tire for the app to work."

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

"The chip has no battery and uses a weak signal that requires the smart phone to be close (about 3cm) to the tire for the app to work."

Russia (I think) had something similar as a listening device in an ambassador's office. It had no intrinsic power supply but I think they shot short amplitude radio waves at it to turn it on and get the data from across the street.

Found it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(listening_device)#:~:text=The%20Thing%2C%20also%20known%20as,%2C%20on%20August%204%2C%201945.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
if u need me i’ll be opening an app on my phone to get an inaccurate pressure reading from the juicero of inner tubes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

if u need me i’ll be opening an app on my phone to get an inaccurate pressure reading from the juicero of inner tubes

Much like the juicero, I'll bet just squeezing the tire will offer better results.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Speaking of tyres with tubes... I just got a new rear tyre for my hardtail MTB shamefully used on paved MUP and only rarely tasting the dirt of the easiest trails.

New tyre by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New tyre by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

After getting a bit overwhelmed by the options online (mostly out of stock and poorly organised on clunky websites) I decided to just go with my local LBS. This morning they put the new tyre on while I went to the local coffee shop and enjoyed the weather for half an hour, all for less than the shipping cost on many of the tyres I found online.

It feels noticeably smoother and faster on a few sections of my commute, but it's not enough of a difference to really match the LBS employee's declaration that "it'll really fly now!". Still, completely satisfied.

I have no idea what the pressure is. It feels harder than the previous, worn-out tire.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Tubeless tire/wheel woes: I have a China carbon 55mm rim brake clincher set that I’ve been running tubeless. I originally had 28mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on them and they set up easily (with a regular floor pump) and ran nice until I sliced up one of them on some road debris. They cleared my fork and brakes just fine. I replaced them with a set of 28mm Schwalbe Pros, because they come in a tan sidewall now, but they ended up measuring a bit wider and rubbing on the seat tube. I then got a set of 25mm Pros and swapped the rear tire with no problem (again, just a floor pump) but the 25 mm front tire will not seal up and inflate, either with my floor pump or my friend’s mini air compressor. I’m going to try the big compressor at work tomorrow, which probably flows more air than the home one. Just a weird situation.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Set it up with a tube and leave it overnight pumped up

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I have a Topeak Race Rocket HP that doesn't want to inflate anything that already has some air in it.

I tried topping up my trainer tire with it (I don't have access to my floor pump right now) and couldn't add any air, as if the pump couldn't overcome the pressure on the back of the valve. I actually just ended up letting a bunch of air out trying to get it work and the tire is now down to 20psi according to my gauge. I just tried inflating an empty tube and it worked, so it is pushing air.

I am using the correct setting for Presta. If I push the hose a bit so it slides and engages the valve, the pump pressurizes with air from the tire, so it can hold higher psi within the pump body.

Stupidly, a few weeks ago, I forgot the pump in my jersey pocket and it went through the wash. Is this where I hosed up?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Made a water bottle holder for my kids bike that doesn't have mounts. I had some velcro straps and bought a $5 cage. I put an old inner tube piece around the bottom of the cage for grip and to protect the bike paint. I spread some silicone on the back of the velcro straps for more grip. Then I riveted the straps to the cage. This holds pretty tight.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

I have a Topeak Race Rocket HP that doesn't want to inflate anything that already has some air in it.

I tried topping up my trainer tire with it (I don't have access to my floor pump right now) and couldn't add any air, as if the pump couldn't overcome the pressure on the back of the valve. I actually just ended up letting a bunch of air out trying to get it work and the tire is now down to 20psi according to my gauge. I just tried inflating an empty tube and it worked, so it is pushing air.

I am using the correct setting for Presta. If I push the hose a bit so it slides and engages the valve, the pump pressurizes with air from the tire, so it can hold higher psi within the pump body.

Stupidly, a few weeks ago, I forgot the pump in my jersey pocket and it went through the wash. Is this where I hosed up?

Probably water or detergent in there somewhere that you’re trying to compress when pumping. Can you disassemble it to try and dry it out?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm looking at a Soma Riff frame, but I'm a little confused about the headset it needs. On the website it says "CNC-machined 44mm headtube: Will take 1-1/8" fork steerers with a ZeroStack 44 headset or tapered fork steerers with a ZS44 upper assembly and external cup (EC44) lower assembly". I'll be using a 1-1/8" fork steerer, so I need a ZeroStack 44 headset, but when I look up ZeroStack 44 headsets, I'm given an option of "short" or "tall". What does short and tall mean?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's the top cap height of the headset. Get whichever one you think looks nicer. Get the short if you're going to slam the stem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Koth posted:

so I need a ZeroStack 44 headset, but when I look up ZeroStack 44 headsets, I'm given an option of "short" or "tall". What does short and tall mean?

That's the height of the protective cover that goes over the top assembly of the headset (bearings and wedge that fits around the steerer).
It's meant to account for how much steerer sticks out above the top of the headtube.
If you have a lot of space between the headset and your stem, it can be more aesthetic to have the tall cap.
Compare:
https://www.modernbike.com/cane-creek-40-series-zs-headset-tall-top-1-1-8-threadless-44mm-black
https://www.modernbike.com/cane-creek-40-series-zs-headset-short-top-1-1-8-threadless-44mm-black

Strictly cosmetic.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Thank you, thank you. Very helpful.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just thought of something. In your case I'd deffo go short. You do a ton of bikepacking and the short cap will let you configure any gear solution that uses headset spacer brackets a lot easier.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Question I don't know if I asked before but would save me a lot of time this weekend... What does everyone use to get rust off of chrome rims? I need to restore a pair this weekend and get new tires/tubes in there, currently been using 0000 steel wool but it's sooooo loving tedious and my arthritis ridden hands hate it

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Just thought of something. In your case I'd deffo go short. You do a ton of bikepacking and the short cap will let you configure any gear solution that uses headset spacer brackets a lot easier.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

bagmonkey posted:

Question I don't know if I asked before but would save me a lot of time this weekend... What does everyone use to get rust off of chrome rims? I need to restore a pair this weekend and get new tires/tubes in there, currently been using 0000 steel wool but it's sooooo loving tedious and my arthritis ridden hands hate it

Are you using WD-40 with the steel wool? That makes it a lot easier and more effective.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bagmonkey posted:

if you can soak them, this stuff gets rid of rust

Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon,Gray,ER012 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66

i think you can also apply it and scrub but soaking works best

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just scrub with crumpled up aluminum foil. Steel wool is hard enough to dull polished chrome look.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Is this something that your establishment stocks?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya come get.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

CopperHound posted:

I just scrub with crumpled up aluminum foil. Steel wool is hard enough to dull polished chrome look.

Yeah I used this on some chromed forks and it works well. Wet it slightly and rub it on and it'll totally remove any light rust spots.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a new bike but the integral derailleur hangar nob (no idea what to call that bit) seems awkwardly small

it's a surly bridge club and a sram nx deraileur. it's maybe fine but would like other opinions. i found that the sram bit comes in a spares kit so i could buy that and attempt to bend it over so there's more contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Of all the places Surly decides to spare some metal...