Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

It's worth mentioning, and I could be wrong about this, but you don't actually get your name on it until you turn it in at a Steller Cartographer.

I wish there was a list of the stuff you discovered. I found a lot of really cool stuff back in 2014/15 that I'd love to revisit.

Import your profile into edsm and get a map and timeline of everywhere you've been and discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It can be for sure, the game doesnt care how the controls are bound, and youtube is full of "I LOVE MY DUAL STICK SETUP" but no one explains the setup

A friend of mine uses dual sticks - he's unavailable at present, though. From memory he uses his off-hand stick for WASD movement (as in, the up/down/left/right directional thrusters, not regular movement) and then just bound the other buttons to less essential stuff. (So like, fire groups and target controls are on his primary stick. I guess landing gear and the like are on his secondary)

Not much help I know, but hopefully it gives you a little direction, for how you want to lay it out!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is helpful because it confirms what I’ve found on setup

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

toplitzin posted:

Import your profile into edsm and get a map and timeline of everywhere you've been and discovered.

Thanks a lot. Since becoming quite attached to Inara I've decided it's not worth being willfully ignorant about the 3rd party stuff anymore.

I uploaded all my journals since 2016 (all I have unfortunately) but it looks like it's going to take a long time.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I played a bit a few years ago, but lost interest. Now I'm back and trying my hand at mining. I've got a nice Python and found a pristine metallic ring for platinum. I sell it to a station one jump away where they pay around 230K-220K a ton. I could probably get more if I travelled farther, but time travelling is time not spent mining.

Should I be doing something different? I see there are a few other items with higher price per ton, but I suspect most of them need deep core mining, which is restricted by ammo. Laser mining has no such restrictions and I'm only restricted by cargo space and limpets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Freudian slippers posted:

I played a bit a few years ago, but lost interest. Now I'm back and trying my hand at mining. I've got a nice Python and found a pristine metallic ring for platinum. I sell it to a station one jump away where they pay around 230K-220K a ton. I could probably get more if I travelled farther, but time travelling is time not spent mining.

Should I be doing something different? I see there are a few other items with higher price per ton, but I suspect most of them need deep core mining, which is restricted by ammo. Laser mining has no such restrictions and I'm only restricted by cargo space and limpets.

Depends what you care about. If you are enjoying what you're doing, keep doing it. If you care about maximising your income, there are faster ways.

Ammo shouldn't matter much, because... well, you restock when you go to sell stuff.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Well huh, color me surprised Elite dosent just like break completely when you dual stick it given how buggy it can be.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The ammo thing with core mining isn't really a problem. By the time you run out of charges, you'll have a full hull.

I find core mining more fun. The asteroid explosion is cool as hell; definitely one of the best things they've added since launch.

Both types of mining make good money. Do whatever!

Who's ready to play the first person shooter????

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

No, that's pretty much the optimal way to mine these days. Core mining is really volatile and unreliable now.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks for the quick replies. I assumed I would run out of ammo before I ran out of cargo space, but I understand that the yield from core mining is greater than I thought. It sure looks cool to blow up rocks, I may give it a try!

E:

Cease to Hope posted:

No, that's pretty much the optimal way to mine these days. Core mining is really volatile and unreliable now.

That's kind of what I figured from the Internet. Still, maybe I'll change it up when I get bored. My current plat spot is an 8-minute supercruise out from the jump point, so that's' not the funnest thing ever.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 29, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bedshaped posted:

I uploaded all my journals since 2016 (all I have unfortunately) but it looks like it's going to take a long time.

drat I changed my CMDR name so it looks like I can only upload the last couple of months :(

e: I was able to fix it by doing a search and replace in the logs

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 29, 2021

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

DreadUnknown posted:

Why would you use dual sticks? I dont think the game is even wired for that kind of input shenanigans.

It works very well for certain ships (e.g. the vulture specifically but also anything with good directional thrust models like the chieftain).
I run (2x T16000m) HOSAS with the left stick doing thrust directionals (twist for up/down) and right to handle rotational controls. I have pedals for main engine thrust, but rarely use it in combat, and basically everything else is chorded up with combinations of the thumb buttons and hat inputs.
I avoid using the baseplate buttons as its a pain to find them when in VR.

It's not so much better than a standard setup that i'd say it's a must have, but it really is very fun and feels like you have a lot of control.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks for the quick replies. I assumed I would run out of ammo before I ran out of cargo space, but I understand that the yield from core mining is greater than I thought. It sure looks cool to blow up rocks, I may give it a try!

E:

That's kind of what I figured from the Internet. Still, maybe I'll change it up when I get bored. My current plat spot is an 8-minute supercruise out from the jump point, so that's' not the funnest thing ever.

Yeah, you can do a lot better than this. Like... that's 8 minutes you could be schlepping your Platinum to a higher payout system. Find a better hotspot.

If you're not already using it, here's the miner's tool: https://edtools.cc/miner

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, a wrench has been thrown into my dual joystick setup.

It’s the helpful pop-up screen that comes up when you hold a shift button. It shows you what will happen when you press a hat direction with that shift button. I don’t know what it’s actually called

Anyway, that is gone on the dual joystick setup. Is there a way to get that back or does the game somehow manage that?

I also noticed, upon going back to my thrustmaster HOTAS that only 3 buttons on the throttle side will bring that menu up, and there are 6 buttons there total.

It would be great to have the other 3 buttons activate that menu

Is there anywhere I can edit this stuff or options I can change?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

drat I changed my CMDR name so it looks like I can only upload the last couple of months :(

You can only do that by restarting, right?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wibla posted:

You can only do that by restarting, right?

They let you change it without restarting if you contact customer support but they only let you do that like once or once every while.

https://customersupport.frontier.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360011919599-Can-I-change-my-Commander-name-on-PC

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ah, okay

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

The Odyssey alpha launched with updated SRV controls that improved the handling and the forums yelled at them until they took it out :v:

Wait what, is this actually a thing? What the gently caress? I find it hard to believe, given the SRV controls are so aggressively bad that just about anything would improve them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
One of the things about exploration is that space is big. Really big. Yuuuuuuge, even.

I think the anecdote is that, at the current rate, every star system in Elite will be scanned in the next 20,000 years, or so.

Practically, this means most people just directly plot a route, especially since it can plot so far these days. If you go a few jumps in any random direction and then plot to a popular destination like Sag A* or Colonia, you will still hit mostly unexplored systems ~1000-2000ly from the bubble. Nevermind if you go a few hundred lightyears in any random direction to find completely new territory.
:toot:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

MJ12 posted:

Wait what, is this actually a thing? What the gently caress? I find it hard to believe, given the SRV controls are so aggressively bad that just about anything would improve them.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/scarab-srv-handling-is-bad-in-odyssey.568720/

quote:

In the Odyssey alpha we can test out the Scarab SRV in the training scenarios. Unfortunately it looks like Scarab handling as been adjusted to make it more beginner-friendly.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I hate the SRV's handling as much as anyone, but I guess I can respect that people eked some fun out of it anyway with 'buckyball racing' or whatever they're talking about. What's frustrating is that the demand from the brown sea is 'make it lovely again for everyone' instead of demanding more than 1 loving type of SRV so that everyone could get what they want.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The bone of contention in that post is "beginner-friendly" and not even god could make me believe otherwise :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh no, making the game accessible to new players HOW COULD THEY

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

One of the things about exploration is that space is big. Really big. Yuuuuuuge, even.

I think the anecdote is that, at the current rate, every star system in Elite will be scanned in the next 20,000 years, or so.

Practically, this means most people just directly plot a route, especially since it can plot so far these days. If you go a few jumps in any random direction and then plot to a popular destination like Sag A* or Colonia, you will still hit mostly unexplored systems ~1000-2000ly from the bubble. Nevermind if you go a few hundred lightyears in any random direction to find completely new territory.
:toot:
It can't be said better than this:
“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” --Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Also, I like the SRV handling. :colbert:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh no, making the game accessible to new players HOW COULD THEY

this is a legitimate grievance, sometimes trotted out

the FYGM lives and is in good health over on ye Frontier forums

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well, as a new player, the SRV handling is absolutely terrible and yes I know about drive assist. I won't be doing missions involving that thing if I can help it :).

Instead I'm doing a (very slow) version of the Road to Riches in a Diamondback Explorer with a 41LY jump range. Goal of this trip (besides making a bit of cash, exploration rank and obviously spending too much time taking screenshots) is finding an unexplored system to register my name for eternity, and maybe ultimately visit the Elephant's Trunk nebula.

Martian fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 30, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Isn't road to riches mostly in the bubble? Won't find a lot of unexplored systems there :v:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
The best solution to the SRV is to land your ship, quit out of Elite and play Dirt Rally.

Similarly for Odyssey's FPS module: order an Apex taxi, quit the game, play Deep Rock Galactic.

Problems solved.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wibla posted:

Isn't road to riches mostly in the bubble? Won't find a lot of unexplored systems there :v:

You can set it up anywhere, and it's not about finding unexplored systems it's about finding money planets.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I'll take the bait. What exactly, is "bad" about the SRV-handling? I remember spending 10-20 minutes setting up proper key-binds so I could use the SRV without going mad years ago, and since then I don't remember any exceptionally bad handling. And I use that thing quite often to scoot around on alien planets.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Martian posted:

Well, as a new player, the SRV handling is absolutely terrible and yes I know about drive assist. I won't be doing missions involving that thing if I can help it :).

Instead I'm doing a (very slow) version of the Road to Riches in a Diamondback Explorer with a 41LY jump range. Goal of this trip (besides making a bit of cash, exploration rank and obviously spending too much time taking screenshots) is finding an unexplored system to register my name for eternity, and maybe ultimately visit the Elephant's Trunk nebula.

I was new to SRV driving at first too (a few weeks ago), and fell in love with it very quickly.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Libluini posted:

OK, I'll take the bait. What exactly, is "bad" about the SRV-handling? I remember spending 10-20 minutes setting up proper key-binds so I could use the SRV without going mad years ago, and since then I don't remember any exceptionally bad handling. And I use that thing quite often to scoot around on alien planets.

It's subjective, but most people think it's too floaty and spins out too easily, even on high G planets. It has an unrealistic tendency to want to do a 180 spin, you can get good at driving it and avoid this... but I will say for me personally it doesn't have anywhere near as satisfying a driving model as it could have. Partly due to sound design imo, the experience feels very flimsy and thin especially when compared to the heft and grunt that ships have.

My main issue with the SRV is how irritating targeting things is, how feeble the gun feels, how the gimballing seems to aim at precisely the wrong part of the material rather than the centre of mass... and how there's essentially no content for it other than sitting still and shooting drones until you run out of ammo.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I mean, drive in a straight line long enough and the thing will find a way to spin out

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

It's subjective, but most people think it's too floaty and spins out too easily, even on high G planets. It has an unrealistic tendency to want to do a 180 spin, you can get good at driving it and avoid this... but I will say for me personally it doesn't have anywhere near as satisfying a driving model as it could have. Partly due to sound design imo, the experience feels very flimsy and thin especially when compared to the heft and grunt that ships have.

My main issue with the SRV is how irritating targeting things is, how feeble the gun feels, how the gimballing seems to aim at precisely the wrong part of the material rather than the centre of mass... and how there's essentially no content for it other than sitting still and shooting drones until you run out of ammo.

Huh, that's it? I experienced all the same stuff, but it never really bothered me. Looks like it's another case of "Libluini is far too forgiving". :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If you go much over 10KPH, the steering just fishtails at the slightest input or rock and becomes impossible to handle.

That's my big issue.

Other than the afflingly terrible control scheme, limited ammo, and the fact that the scoop isn't always open despite the fact that you literally never want it closed, and the fact that it doesn't inherit your ship's night vision settings when deployed, and... you know what just the whole thing is pretty bad.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

thespaceinvader posted:

You can set it up anywhere, and it's not about finding unexplored systems it's about finding money planets.

If the systems are in the database R2R uses then it means they've been explored already.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

If the systems are in the database R2R uses then it means they've been explored already.

To build on this, you will have more of a shot finding something to slap your name onto when you are on the jumps between R2R points.
Doubly so if you turn off efficient jumps and explore the local area for a few jumps before resuming the 35Ly+ jumps to your next R2R target.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
RTR is not going to take you near anywhere that is likely to be unexplored. That's just not what it's for. It's having you "explore" already-heavily-trafficked space. It's just free money for newbies and a zero-stress introduction to the tools you'll use if you actually go exploring deep space.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If you want to go to the center and find a bunch of unexplored planets along the way, start from a system a hundred light-years above or below the galactic plane, or circle around the orbit of the galaxy until you get bored and then start in the next time you play. Once you're off the main drags, there's just so many systems that it seems like nothing is explored.

e standard disclaimer please bring a good AMFU if you plan on coming or going using pulsars and etc

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I know comparing ED's tacked-on space go-cart to a quality racing sim isn't totally fair, but the Lancia Stratos in Dirt Rally is less temperamental than the SRV. Like Tommy said, you can get good at driving it and adjust to its quirks, but even then, it's just dissatisfying to drive.

The SRV makes me feel like I'm just floating above the ground on a hovercraft, or like I'm always on a planet with Pluto gravity (regardless of the actual G's), at least until it hits some gravel and suddenly spins the gently caress out. And that's even before you run into:

thespaceinvader posted:

the bafflingly terrible control scheme, limited ammo, and the fact that the scoop isn't always open despite the fact that you literally never want it closed, and the fact that it doesn't inherit your ship's night vision settings when deployed, and... you know what just the whole thing is pretty bad.