Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Trip report

interveiw i think went well, asked some questions on mibs and oiu(?) for snmp reports i assume that i couldn't answer. i brought up some stories and talked about my homelab and some work arounds i have done to make some issues i have found work. the interveiw with goons did help a bunch, thanks goons! I went in with questions and the NOC lead i think was impressed by that and even bump the 10am interveiw a bit so i could ask all of my questions and get answers on those. I do think i am making it to round 3 of however many.

edit update

meeting ended at 10:10am and at 1:40pm i got am email asking when i can do round 3.

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

wargames posted:

Trip report

interveiw i think went well, asked some questions on mibs and oiu(?) for snmp reports i assume that i couldn't answer. i brought up some stories and talked about my homelab and some work arounds i have done to make some issues i have found work. the interveiw with goons did help a bunch, thanks goons! I went in with questions and the NOC lead i think was impressed by that and even bump the 10am interveiw a bit so i could ask all of my questions and get answers on those. I do think i am making it to round 3 of however many.

edit update

meeting ended at 10:10am and at 1:40pm i got am email asking when i can do round 3.

That's a good sign. If they're moving fast, then it means they like you.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

pretty sure coming in with questions written down impressed a bunch dude seemed to like that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Someone on these forums posted a list of questions that are both great questions in general and can also reveal red flags. I forget who but I’ve been using them for a few years at least at.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Someone on these forums posted a list of questions that are both great questions in general and can also reveal red flags. I forget who but I’ve been using them for a few years at least at.

repost the questions please. I want to throw some at the next round.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

wargames posted:

Again, these are completely lifted from someone on SA, so if you posted the originally thank you!

quote:

Do you have an on-call rotation?

Do you have a WFH policy?

What is your vacation policy?

If I had to handle a ticket while on PTO, what is your policy to compensate for that?

When was your last tech refresh?

What is the oldest server in production, and what is its role?

Are there any projects that are in the pipeline that I would be working on right away?

Would I be working as part of a team, and what does the team currently look like?

who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role

translation : are you working with a well-defined team that puts out consistent work or is this place a clusterfuck with people coming and going on a weekly basis because management is incompetent

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

translation: are the people making decisions that impact your work accountable to you / your team and do you have the ability to influence them or are they dictated from on high or even worse forced upon you by a hostile entity

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

translation: if they say 'uhhhhhhhhhh' here it's a red flag. if they throw gibberish at you it's not a red flag but it's not a good look either. this should get a human bean answer

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

translation: same as the last one.

- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here

translation: they should also be able to answer this without thinking. if they hesitate or bullshit you it's a red flag

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

translation: what qualities are people here impressed with. what caliber of candidates are you also considering.

- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?

translation: every job has some bullshit aspect to it. this is their chance to lay it on softly and your chance to decide if it's a particular brand of bullshit you can put up with

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

translation: are you going to work me like a slave when we don't hit the deadline we never agreed to

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Here is my list for MSPs (thankfully my career has progressed to where this hasn't been relevant in a while):
code:
What's the day to day - breakdown time spent on reactive vs proactive work, how much desktop support? Would I be in a call group/queue (or how does dispatch work)? what tier?
Do you track RHEM?
Do you do QSRs for all clients?
Do you have infra standards that all clients meet?
How much T&M / project work do you do?

What's the average utilization for employees? 30-40 hours/week vs 40-50 or more
What's the org chart look like?
Remote or in an office? What's the WFH policy?

Do you sell one standard tier of service or different tiers? (is there an SLA governing on-call response?)
    If multiple tiers, what's the breakdown of % clients on which tier
Have you ever fired clients? How frequently?

Do you attract cheap clients? (right solution vs cheap solution)
What RMM and PSA do you use?
Why would a client pick your MSP?
What was the most interesting project / request you received recently?
What technologies/processes/strategies are on the radar for internal improvement?
What's your oldest server in production?
How are decisions made? 
Does the company have core values?
How do you set milestones for projects, what if they slip?
Are there standard business hours that I would need to be working during (i.e 100% shift work vs 100% flex work)
What's the most pressing challenge you are currently facing?

What's the timeline for a hiring decision?

benefits: mileage reimbursement / on call differential / health / PTO / sick / 401k / training / certs / career dev / cell / laptop / internet
formal or informal flex/time banking solution?
is salary contingent on billable hours?
what if I have to work a ticket while on PTO?
CoL raises?

frequency of one on ones/check ins/performance reviews
what will success look like in the first 1/3/6 months and how will you evaluate that? (SMART?)
Here is my list for internal IT:
code:
Commute:
    Does the org allow working from home? (pre/post covid)
        If yes, how much?
        If yes, are there documented requirements?
        If no, are there reasons given why not?
    Who decides when the office reopens, and by what metrics is safety evaluated?
        (What if the office reopens before there's a vaccines)
Diversity? 
    Are there commitments at the board/managerial/associate level to diversity?
        If yes, what are they?
        If no, why not?
    Is there data about how much diversity there is in the enterprise?
        Is it available to me?
    Is there diversity/inclusion training available to managers?
        Mandatory or optional?
        Has my manager taken it?
Day to Day
    Is there a dress code?
    My expectation is that 40 hours a week is sufficient, barring emergencies. Is that agreed?
        How frequently are there emergencies?
    Is there on call?
        Is there a pay differential? Flex time?
        What governs whether something is an on call emergency or can wait?
        Pages from some solution? Emails from some solution? Calls/texts from colleagues?
    My expectation is that if I need a particular tool to do my job, the company provides it
        that definitely includes cell phones - no MDM
    Opportunities for professional development?
        on-clock trainings?
        conferences?
    Most challenging aspect of the job?
    How managed am I? (vs. structuring my own goals/tasks)
    How frequently are there performance reviews/feedback cycles?
        Against what metrics will I be evaluated
Compensation:
    401k match?
    Bonus structure?
    PTO/sick days?
    Other perks?
    When was the last time the person who will be my manager took a week+ vacation?

Anything else I can provide or expand on an earlier answer?
Anything I've said that makes you think "he's not the guy"?
Timeline to an offer?

How do compensate for incidents outside of normal working hours?
Do you have an on-call rotation?
Do you have a WFH policy?
"What's the company's biggest threat to success this year, and how will I be able to help overcome it in this role?"
What is your vacation policy?
If I had to handle a ticket while on PTO, what is your policy to compensate for that?
When was your last tech refresh?
What is the oldest server in production, and what is its role?
How is the infrastructure now? Datacenter? Cloud? Backups? Security?
Are there any projects that are in the pipeline that I would be working on right away?
Would I be working as part of a team, and what does the team currently look like?
Who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role?
How are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions?
What are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
What would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
What sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here?
What's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently?
What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
How do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met?
When was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do?
Is there travel to other sites? How often generally?
Why did last guy leave?
Based on what we've talked about now is there anything you feel I could address in regards to the position?
Do you have governance standards?
    equipment out of warranty?
    racks in offices or colocated?
    mission critical services that aren't HA?
    particular tech stacks that all solutions must use (e.g. powershell/.NET/Windows vs. python/linux/bash shop? vs. IDKWTFBBQ free for all?)
    least-privilege security?
    does everyone have local admin (on their machines? on servers? everywhere?)
What is the scope of this position?
    Does IT have scope to manage all infra / all machines, or are product teams responsible for their own infra?
    Would I work with a product team?
    What are some of the projects coming up that are important (that I would or wouldn't work on)
    What are some of the projects coming up that I would work on?

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 30, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

There’s been too much helpful poo poo in this thread lately. Infosec is a joke and anyone that works in it can suck on my dick. Also ask if you can get paid in bitcoin.

Clam down has a small penis for a very large man too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

This question specifically got me a “wow, that’s a great question” reaction from my current boss when I was interviewing for this job

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don’t forget, “can I see your server room”

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Fool posted:

This question specifically got me a “wow, that’s a great question” reaction from my current boss when I was interviewing for this job

lol the latter seems to me like the most basic thing ever, I have never not asked that in an interview. Who are these chumps?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Again, these are completely lifted from someone on SA, so if you posted the originally thank you!

Lol, from the interviewer side, my answers to these questions would set off red flags, which reinforces my idea that making that hire when we did was a huge waste (even doubly so when it's a contractor expecting to come in and work on a specific task or project).

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bob Morales posted:

Don’t forget, “can I see your server room”

“Sure, let’s quickly visit us-east-1, let me raise a support case so Amazon knows we’re coming”.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LochNessMonster posted:

“Sure, let’s quickly visit us-east-1, let me raise a support case so Amazon knows we’re coming”.

Don't forget the site induction!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wargames posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800676&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post467684727

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
In my last interview I asked "what was your most recent escalation and how did it go?"

It's a very unexpected question and got them thinking live, which brings honesty instead of canned responses. Having them describe a stressful event is very telling. You also get cool insight to their actual support channels and how they're used.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had good results asking "How do you think IT is perceived within the organization"?

It either gets people all hot and bothered, which is a good signal its either a boss you dont want to work for or a lovely org, or you get a real good discussion about how they work with the business, or are trying to actively overcome some internal resistance.

To me its been the best question to get a gauge on what kind of person your boss or whoever is interviewing you will be.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I know it's been said already but I just want to add another vote to "Do your research on the company" before the interview.

I usually brush up on the high-level details such as history, mission/vision, any recent press in the news etc... I then try to work that information in organically during the interview. I also take a look at their job postings to see if anything stands out. Last time I was interviewing for a BI position, I dug around their other job openings and noticed a slew of IT related positions open. I brought that up at the end of the interview, asking if they have high turnover or is it related to sudden expansion.

The Director gave a sheepish grin, acknowledged by research on the topic, and said that they are undergoing a large restructure and people have to reapply for their positions. I later turned down their offer, cause I wanted nothing to do with that poo poo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Just found out the job I'm leaving (one more week!!) is on-boarding a customer that wants to handle most issues by phone. Except they can only speak Spanish and we only speak English.

Hughmoris posted:

I know it's been said already but I just want to add another vote to "Do your research on the company" before the interview.

I usually brush up on the high-level details such as history, mission/vision, any recent press in the news etc... I then try to work that information in organically during the interview. I also take a look at their job postings to see if anything stands out. Last time I was interviewing for a BI position, I dug around their other job openings and noticed a slew of IT related positions open. I brought that up at the end of the interview, asking if they have high turnover or is it related to sudden expansion.

The Director gave a sheepish grin, acknowledged by research on the topic, and said that they are undergoing a large restructure and people have to reapply for their positions. I later turned down their offer, cause I wanted nothing to do with that poo poo.

This helped me land my new gig. I found they had a YouTube channel and posted there was a video presentation the CEO did in recent months. Watching that not only gave me insight on what they actually do, but I was able to work that into my conversations during the interview and the VP. He was shocked, but happy, that I already had some "inside" knowledge on how they are leveraging some open source apps.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 30, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Just found out the job I'm leaving (one more week!!) is on-boarding a customer that wants to handle most issues by phone. Except they can only speak Spanish and we only speak English.

You're dodging all the balas.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bonzo posted:

This helped me land my new gig. I found they had a YouTube channel and posted there was a video presentation the CEO did in recent months. Watching that not only gave me insight on what they actually do, but I was able to work that into my conversations during the interview and the VP. He was shocked, but happy, that I already had some "inside" knowledge on how they are leveraging some open source apps.

I once read a CDW interview about a previous boss so it gave me a bunch of stuff to bullshit about. The ones they used to put in the catalogs.

How does that work, you spend like $500k with them and they do a 'story' on you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
There has been a gigantic push for this new type of interviewing style which a company asks you to record a 15 minute video of yourself and send it in before they do the first formal interview. This entire process is complete trash and I implore all of you to boycott it. This poo poo has to die.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I knew all these video applications I filmed for Love Island would come in handy one day

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

There has been a gigantic push for this new type of interviewing style which a company asks you to record a 15 minute video of yourself and send it in before they do the first formal interview. This entire process is complete trash and I implore all of you to boycott it. This poo poo has to die.

Ugh this has to be the dumbest poo poo.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Sickening posted:

Yeah our local city government does that.

I got an email saying they reviewed my application and they just need me to finish my application, I told them I’m pretty sure my application is finished and let me know if they made a decision. They just kept asking me to finish it so I guess it’s some requirement since they seemed desperate to fill the role.

It would have been a helpdesk instead of infosec job though so thank god.

I did have one for a coding bootcamp free ride scholarship that wanted a 5 minute max video where you explain how you solved a technical problem, which seemed more reasonable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

What.The.gently caress.

There is no way in hell I would actually go through with that. I had like 6 interviews for my current job! They wanted to schedule a 7th and I told them no and they ended up offering me the job regardless.

People absolutely need to push back on these sort of things if they are in a position to do so.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
It’s so great working an industry that’s short on labor, I remember doing the job seeking process years ago and I remember all the bullshit, my favorite was when one summer college job first stood me up and then during the next interview tried to accuse me of lying about my work history as some sort of “test.”

Nowadays I would just walk out if the interviewer was more than a couple minutes late without explanation. It’s good to have the means now to have self respect.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

SHOW US HOW FUN AND UNIQUE YOU ARE

To apply, please also include a cover letter with your thoughts – why you think you’re the ideal candidate, compensation requirements, and anything else you think is relevant. Please do not send a typical boring cover letter or address it to, “Dear Hiring Manager.” We’re not looking for the “Dear Hiring Manager” types. We’re wacky, and culture means everything to us – we need people who think outside the box and aren’t afraid to dive in.

If your cover letter interests us, we’ll open your resume (but we’ll be paying more attention to your cover letter – so again, please WOW us)!

I have a friend who works at this kind of place, and her personality fits in perfectly. She talked my wife into applying, and her personality is 100% not that type, and they didn't even call her back :haw:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The recruiter who put me onto the job I did terribly at the interview called me again today, pretty sure for the exact same job. She asked me if I knew the company and I said I'd interviewed there already, then I guess she realised what she'd done and said "oh sorry, I've not been able to get on our VPN to check anything, sorry" and then hung up. lol. Still never received a call from them telling me I didn't get it in the first place.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

SHOW US HOW FUN AND UNIQUE YOU ARE

To apply, please also include a cover letter with your thoughts – why you think you’re the ideal candidate, compensation requirements, and anything else you think is relevant. Please do not send a typical boring cover letter or address it to, “Dear Hiring Manager.” We’re not looking for the “Dear Hiring Manager” types. We’re wacky, and culture means everything to us – we need people who think outside the box and aren’t afraid to dive in.

If your cover letter interests us, we’ll open your resume (but we’ll be paying more attention to your cover letter – so again, please WOW us)!

I have a friend who works at this kind of place, and her personality fits in perfectly. She talked my wife into applying, and her personality is 100% not that type, and they didn't even call her back :haw:

Sounds like that place is either a corporate buzzword hellscape or full of the most emotionally draining people imaginable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

lol posted:

At EVIL CORP, we pride ourselves on teamwork, excellence and integrity. We encourage team members to be their best selves and showcase who they are in their work. We’re excited that you’re interested in joining the EVIL CORP team as a Cybersecurity Architect.

We would like you to participate in an online video interview, powered by HireVue, as the next step in your application process.

You’re encouraged to share more about yourself and highlight your experiences. The interview takes about 15 - 20 minutes, and we've preselected questions for you to answer.

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I expect from an online interview? You can record your interview at any time and at any location. You must use a computer with a webcam and microphone. The Learn More About Your Interview link below will provide more information.
Can I practice recording answers? Yes! Use the Practice link below to get used to the layout and navigation of the platform before starting your actual interview. Any practice attempts are not recorded, and we won’t see them in your submission.
How long will it take? Interviews typically take about 15 - 20 minutes to complete, and you have up to three minutes to complete each interview question.
How soon do I have to submit the interview? We ask that you complete the interview within 48 hours after receiving this invite. Unable to complete your HireVue interview within 48 hours? We understand you juggle many priorities; please complete your interview within one week of receiving the invitation to remain in consideration for the role(s) you’ve applied to.
Do I have to complete separate interviews for each role I apply for? Even though you may receive multiple opportunities to interview with EVIL CORP, you’re only required to complete one online interview.

So yeah, HireVue is becoming very popular it seems and other companies are offering a similar service. gently caress this process and I will be desperate before I ever do it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 30, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oh yeah, I am also not attending your company's anything for a CHANCE at an amazon gift card. You either give me the loving thing or shut the gently caress up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sickening posted:

There's a local company here that used to (or I guess still does?) require this. Now they were a video related startup but that is really hosed up when you consider that not everyone might have access to a webcam or computer with these capabilities.

Sickening posted:

So yeah, HireVue is becoming very popular it seems and other companies are offering a similar service. gently caress this process and I will be desperate before I ever do it.

Maybe I spend too much time on the web and have little faith in humanity but how long before these videos are used to stalk or creep on someone?

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2021

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That poo poo is vile. What sense does it make to make an audition tape for a regular boring old office job, besides sheer laziness from the recruiting side?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sprechensiesexy posted:

That poo poo is vile. What sense does it make to make an audition tape for a regular boring old office job, besides sheer laziness from the recruiting side?

That is what I told the recruiter. "I am not sending in an audition tape, sorry". She did communicate her frustration as she is having a hard time finding talented people to submit themselves to that type of process. Companies deserve all they get though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

I knew keeping swap.avi would come in handy one day!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This all reminds me, back when I first left college and was desperate to find a job I applied with Coca-Cola's IT department. I remember their interview process made you get on some sort of service which read you a question, then recorded you answering the question with webcam. You didn't get a do over or anything. Was like "What do you think about [blank]?", "Tell about a time you did [blank]", etc,etc I hated it and probably came off way stupider than I was.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

That is what I told the recruiter. "I am not sending in an audition tape, sorry". She did communicate her frustration as she is having a hard time finding talented people to submit themselves to that type of process. Companies deserve all they get though.

Is 'audition tape' the new 'Check to see if you're a bad culture fit black beforehand without being able to ask because we're a racist company?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one on either side of the conversation enjoys the interview process, so I can kinda see why companies would try to automate it. But that's one of those things where in a reasonable environment it's brought up in conversation and everyone immediately rejects it because it's a horrible idea.

But I guess some of the really hosed up companies find it easier than actually developing an enjoyable workplace that lowers the turnover rate.