Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Technically you don’t really need the rest of the manga, the anime had a perfectly serviceable ending to the series

Though if the artist is having so many health problems as of late maybe he should either hire an assistant or let his wife handle it (he is married to the creator of Sailor Moon after all).

Not gonna lie, I did a double take at the revelation the creator of Sailor Moon is married to a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Or you could start HxH, go to jail for 15 years, and then read the rest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MorningMoon posted:

Or you could start HxH, go to jail for 15 years, and then read the rest.

I dunno, I know a guy who did that (well, it was actually eighteen years) and the story barely progressed in that time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

Not gonna lie, I did a double take at the revelation the creator of Sailor Moon is married to a guy.

Yeah, Naoko Takeuchi is apparently straight. It surprised me at first too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Togashi married a woman who invented a money printing machine, he doesn't need to work again in his life.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Funky Valentine posted:

Togashi married a woman who invented a money printing machine, he doesn't need to work again in his life.

Just remember, kids, that Faustian deals where you give up your health are just as serious as types.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Funky Valentine posted:

togashi also owns two money printing machines himself, they're just not sailor moon level

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Coby is probably the character with the most meteoric rise, from total nerd loser to King poo poo of gently caress mountain in less than 3 years.
I really hope that Coby and Luffy have a proper fight somewhere down the line. I just want them to happily reminisce before flattening each other's faces.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would be a great parallel of Garp and Roger teaming up if Luffy and Coby got to do the same. Hell, maybe it could even happen against Blackbeard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jassa posted:

I mean, all things considered, Togashi marrying a woman never felt like a guarantee either. His works are hella homoerotic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Gotta give her some props though. Oda's preferred cosplay requires wigs/hair dye and a tattoo/body paint. Meanwhile she's just adding a mask to a tuxedo. Nice and simple.

Unless it's the other way, and they've got to get extra large sailor girl uniforms. That's probably equivalent to a good Nami cosplay.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm guessing that's also why Takeuchi never really started any other projects after the Sailor Moon manga ended, she has neither the desire nor the need too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Legend has it that if Oda sees a Nami cosplayer who has the tattoo on the wrong arm, they are instantly smited and evidence of their existence erased from the world.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
there's gotta be something special about dragons we dont know yet aside from them just being generally powerful. the new vivre card states oda was originally going to call onigashima "dragon island", and there's a pretty weird line some chapters back from marco about onigashima's name. celestial dragon and monkey d dragon, all of its just weird in some way, along with the dragon fruit being the one that vegapunk undertook the effort to recreate

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think the special thing about dragons us that they are very powerful creatures with special abilities like controlling elements with their attacks.

Speaking about the new Vivre cards, here's a twitter thread with some of the new info from them

https://twitter.com/Prmasss/status/1388433833423343616?s=19

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/Prmasss/status/1388472973493882885

Tama for Pirate Queen.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
https://twitter.com/Prmasss/status/1388434565958602752

Oof on Kikunojo. Stiiiil workin on the sex vs gender thing.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Perhaps still kinda oof, but to be clear, 性別 is used interchangeably for sex and gender in the Japanese language, most usually for sex.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So wait, is Kikunojo actually a woman or a man that dresses like one?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Libra posted:

Perhaps still kinda oof, but to be clear, 性別 is used interchangeably for sex and gender in the Japanese language, most usually for sex.

Ah, I didn't realize the language doesn't even consider the difference. So that's also the word used to talk about the gender of words in other languages?

Larryb posted:

Kikunojo identifies as a woman.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, the bio just confused me a little.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ah, I didn't realize the language doesn't even consider the difference. So that's also the word used to talk about the gender of words in other languages?

You mean like how french words are gendered, for example? That's 性 too. But then you'd also use 性 for words related to sexual/reproductive anatomy.
When talking about the distinction between sex and gender in Japanese I've seen people use the English words "sex" and "gender" in katakana because it gets pretty confusing. Languages are built on old traditions and ideas unfortunately.

Libra fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 2, 2021

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Libra posted:

You mean like how french words are gendered, for example? That's 性 too. But then you'd also use 性 for words related to sexual/reproductive anatomy.
When talking about the distinction between sex and gender in Japanese I've seen people use the English words "sex" and "gender" in katakana because it gets pretty confusing. Languages are built on old traditions and ideas unfortunately.

Yeah, the concept of gendered words like in French or German is what I was thinking about. I guess I was wondering if there was a preexisting word they could use if they expended it, but it looks like that isn't the case. Probably not the right way to look at it. I'm glad that people have come up with a way to express the idea in Japanese anyway.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's in Chinese, but I'm stoked to have this panel on my wall now. :D

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

I know it's been answered, but it's an interesting question because there are a lot of men who dress like women in One Piece, including Izo, Kiku's brother. Despite this the story has gone out of its way to say Kiku is a woman, unlike her brother.

I think the phrase that was used to confirm this distinction was Kiku saying she has the "heart of a woman," which is the wording in the parenthetical of that vivre card. The way the card puts it is a really questionable way of presenting that idea in English, but allowing for language/translation issues it might be a respectful way to communicate that idea in Japanese, I don't know.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think the male (heart of a woman) thing is how trans people are described in Japanese media nowadays.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's in Chinese, but I'm stoked to have this panel on my wall now. :D

:perfect:

It's probably my favorite panel in all of One Piece.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I think the male (heart of a woman) thing is how trans people are described in Japanese media nowadays.

Yep! A lot of articles on Trans issues literally use the "heart of a woman" line to describe someone and the word "Transgender" is particularly uncommon in Japanese. So Kiku is definitely a lady.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

I know it's been answered, but it's an interesting question because there are a lot of men who dress like women in One Piece, including Izo, Kiku's brother. Despite this the story has gone out of its way to say Kiku is a woman, unlike her brother.

Izo seems to be based on those japanese plays I can't remember the name of, Wearing makeup and lipstick, but other then that being fully male.

Edit: Got the name Taishū engeki

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 2, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsterEnvy posted:

Izo seems to be based on those japanese plays I can't remember the name of, Wearing makeup and lipstick, but other then that being fully male.

Edit: Got the name Taishū engeki

The reason beautiful men who look like women is a trope in japan is actually very funny.

Kabuki was founded as an all-women style, but it was basically being used to advertise for sex work, so women were banned. So they put young boys in it to play female parts, but that was also too horny and was banned. So they put men in and dressed them up like beautiful women, and it was still very horny.

Eventually they passed a law requiring all actors to have a particular haircut that was very masculine and ugly, but the thing that actually lowered the popularity of kabuki was the invention of bunraku puppet shows.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

The reason beautiful men who look like women is a trope in japan is actually very funny.

Kabuki was founded as an all-women style, but it was basically being used to advertise for sex work, so women were banned. So they put young boys in it to play female parts, but that was also too horny and was banned. So they put men in and dressed them up like beautiful women, and it was still very horny.

Eventually they passed a law requiring all actors to have a particular haircut that was very masculine and ugly, but the thing that actually lowered the popularity of kabuki was the invention of bunraku puppet shows.

were the puppet shows horny

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

were the puppet shows horny

does a bear poo poo in the woods?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Now we just need to know how horny Kumadori is. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that was answered in an SBS long ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

my parents boyfriend posted:

Now we just need to know how horny Kumadori is. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that was answered in an SBS long ago.

Wait, isn’t he that hair guy from CP9 that tried choking out Nami with his hair?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Yeah, and I think his biggest character quirk was trying to commit seppuku. Maybe we'll see him again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc it was trying to commit seppiku in the name of his dead mother or something like that (except his moms not dead)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Then Chopper locked him in a fridge and he ate all the food. A good villain, squashed from existence all too soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So when are we gonna get to the fireworks factory Nico Robin fight we were promised a few chapters back?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ennies Lobby is so cool in general both from the point of narration and the enemies just having weird powers that are mostly just martial arts honed to the point of manipulating hair, making sonic booms shaped like hunting hounds, and contorting their freaking bodies into more efficient forms for battle.

Also, I’ve said this before, but I’m really glad the Six Powers/Arts didn’t just get slept on like the umpteen other power systems it makes sense for lots of people to have in other shonen like Rock Lee’s super speed and half the crew can do at least one of them along with a bunch of people post skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Then Chopper locked him in a fridge and he ate all the food. A good villain, squashed from existence all too soon.

He was squashed from existence just right. His defeat is really burned into my mind, monster chopper just yeeting him across the island and everyone way back at the gates wondering where the hell he came from and what happened.