Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A closer look at the Daimajin set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That looks pretty neat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spatulater bro! posted:

Arrow July releases

I'm in for all the UHDs.

I'm glad Daimajin is getting a new bluray release but a little bummed it's gonna cost like three times as much as the previous bluray release.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I'm glad Daimajin is getting a new bluray release but a little bummed it's gonna cost like three times as much as the previous bluray release.

It works out to about $20 per film (USD). That's a really good price, considering.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

It works out to about $20 per film (USD). That's a really good price, considering.

Yeah but the previous bluray release was like 25 bucks for the entire trilogy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

:shrug:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have that previous Daimajin blu ray release, one of the first blu rays i got.

I got the Mill Creek Heisei Gamera set at the same time, unfortunately Attack of Legion stops playing halfway through though so I gotta upgrade to the Arrow one at some point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh yea I'm gonna need that Demons UHD.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is 1917 4K worth a blind buy for $13?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Xenomrph posted:

Is 1917 4K worth a blind buy for $13?

Good looking movie especially at 4K but idk how much I’d rewatch it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If your employer has some sort of rewards program where they give you like 300 points for showing up every day, make sure to check them. I had 38,000 from nearly 5 years of straight employment and I cashed it in for the following order:

Pumkinhead Steelbook (Shout Factory)
Shivers (Vestron)
The Fly Collection (Shout Factory)
The Thing (Shout Factory)
Frankenhooker (Synapse)
The Thing (2011)
Halloween 2 (Shout Factory)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Arrow July releases

I demand all Tony Scott movies on 4K. Domino with HDR would be loving sick. :rock:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

If your employer has some sort of rewards program where they give you like 300 points for showing up every day, make sure to check them. I had 38,000 from nearly 5 years of straight employment and I cashed it in for the following order:

My employer has this too, but they instead use something called "direct deposit" into my "bank account". However, I use it the same way, to redeem blurays.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Y'all are getting paid?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Y’all don’t get your movies for free from the studio and get paid to watch them?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Pumkinhead Steelbook (Shout Factory)
Shivers (Vestron)
The Fly Collection (Shout Factory)
The Thing (Shout Factory)
Frankenhooker (Synapse)
The Thing (2011)
Halloween 2 (Shout Factory)

u wut.... checks my ADP account.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
why are there 4 true romances none in us

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Spatulater bro! posted:

A closer look at the Daimajin set.

The Daimajin movies are fantastic and I'm eager to see if my subtitle track made it onto the second film! I got hired to do one a while back and I'm not sure if it was for this release or for a streaming version or what.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

John Romero posted:

Because one is the steelbook and one is the steelbook with slipcover. There can't be just one of those things it has to be both!

I really feel like someone at Arrow is laughing their rear end off at blu-ray collectors.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Xenomrph posted:

Y’all don’t get your movies for free from the studio and get paid to watch them?

I used to get free screeners during awards season but most studios have moved onto token-generated online screenings now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Romero posted:

I have gotten a 4k player for this very reason.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Somehow I missed the memo that lots of the Shaw Bros horror Blu-rays from 88 Films have gone OOP or are about to. So I went ahead and ordered the four in their "Last Chance" section: Bewitched, The Ghost Lovers, The Enchanting Ghost and The Bride from Hell. I already own Hex, Black Magic 1 and 2 and Seeding of the Ghost. Hex and Seeding seem to be OOP. Avoiding some serious FOMO here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Welcome to the prestige of boutique home video releases.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Roth posted:

Welcome to the prestige of boutique home video releases.

Yeah it kinda sucks. Like, it's great that these movies are getting such high quality releases, but the boutique prices make them much more niche.

I remember being a teenager back in the day, going to Suncoast and buying just weird poo poo because it looked weird and I had 20 bucks to spend. That is how I got into Japanese movies in the first place, buying a copy of Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl because it kinda looked like Reservoir Dogs, and being like holy poo poo who is this "Tadanobu Asano" guy, and then buying anything with him in it, and from that getting into Takashi Miike and then Ryuhei Kitamura and Takeshi Kitano and so on.

And that was only possible because the movies were cheap! If they had all been 40 dollars with artbooks and chipboard boxes, I never would've seen so many great movies.

I get why they're doing it, streaming is eating the world and people buying physical media is a shrinking market, so you need to get more money out of fewer people. And it also ties in to the death of movie retail, places like Suncoast don't exist so people can't browse shelves, so building up a brand and targeting consumers who follow Arrow Videos releases is necessary and also breeds a certain type of consumer base, etc. etc.

But it still kinda sucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks. Like, it's great that these movies are getting such high quality releases, but the boutique prices make them much more niche.

I remember being a teenager back in the day, going to Suncoast and buying just weird poo poo because it looked weird and I had 20 bucks to spend. That is how I got into Japanese movies in the first place, buying a copy of Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl because it kinda looked like Reservoir Dogs, and being like holy poo poo who is this "Tadanobu Asano" guy, and then buying anything with him in it, and from that getting into Takashi Miike and then Ryuhei Kitamura and Takeshi Kitano and so on.

And that was only possible because the movies were cheap! If they had all been 40 dollars with artbooks and chipboard boxes, I never would've seen so many great movies.

I get why they're doing it, streaming is eating the world and people buying physical media is a shrinking market, so you need to get more money out of fewer people. And it also ties in to the death of movie retail, places like Suncoast don't exist so people can't browse shelves, so building up a brand and targeting consumers who follow Arrow Videos releases is necessary and also breeds a certain type of consumer base, etc. etc.

But it still kinda sucks.

The people still hanging on are the boutique label nerds. The falling of physical media sales is happening with the rising of Criterion Collection sales. I'm pretty sure they're selling more movies than they ever did before.

I really miss Suncoast and Sam Goody even though they were both really overpriced.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll pay 100 bucks for a UHD all the bells and whistles vesion of freaked right now and I wouldn’t bat a goddamn eye’ eye’ mon

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I love that there was a new Freaked blu-ray coming and then Disney bought Fox and were just like "No, gently caress you." to anything that wasn't one of the spandex fightmans they wanted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever read today

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll pay 100 bucks for a UHD all the bells and whistles vesion of freaked right now and I wouldn’t bat a goddamn eye’ eye’ mon

I'll buy anything tangentially related to Freaked that's put in front of me. I bought the Mondo LP as soon as I learned it existed.

I think the last time Freaked came up ITT, somebody posted that Alex Winter was "working something out" and that was like a year ago? Or maybe I just read that, myself, on Twitter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just watched it last weekend and it blew my dang mind. So loving funny and well done.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever read today

Alex Winter mentioned there was a special edition coming which I believe was even going to be a new transfer. I'm guessing that among other things it was going to include all the extras from that two disc Anchor Bay DVD from ye olden days.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My VinSyn Homegrown Horrors order came today and I was not expecting how nice it is. I thought it was just some cheap-ish triple pack in a single case, but it’s a nice heavy box with three individual cases inside. It’s an almost absurd presentation given the quality of the movies inside lmao.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure they showed the Freaked restoration at some point even

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My VinSyn Homegrown Horrors order came today and I was not expecting how nice it is. I thought it was just some cheap-ish triple pack in a single case, but it’s a nice heavy box with three individual cases inside. It’s an almost absurd presentation given the quality of the movies inside lmao.

I'm jealous, since they switched to FedEx, my drops take forever. Mine is listed as to be delivered by the end of the day, but it's also listed as still being in another city. I probably won't get it until Monday or Tuesday, so it'll be waterlogged by the time I get home :(

Never had these issues with the USPS

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

VinSyn make great boxes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

And now it's sitting in an archive next to lots and lots of other movies Disney has meticulous restorations of that they'll never show anyone.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

They did, I went to the screening at the Egyptian in Hollywood. They handed out “official” Freaked styrofoam cups and had everyone drop them simultaneously in sync with the movie.

They also had slices of the animation plates from the opening for sale in the lobby. I regret not buying one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The sad thing is, there’s nothing I remember in Freaked being particularly objectionable, it’s just balls to the wall insane. Had no idea until the RLM video last year that it was a big money picture, but it makes so much sense when you can see every dollar spent on screen.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Looks like Second Sight Films is working on a Blu-ray of the original The Hitcher

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1388682967233486855?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m assuming they talk about the murder Eric Red committed on the podcast?