Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I think that was Prince of Persia (ep. 408)

Thank you!! Started to listen to the venom episode at work tonight but the talk of pussy posse got me in the mood for the buddy brigade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did they stop doing Mailbag episodes, or have I just been missing it on their YouTube?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Latest episode of Hooked on TJ Hooker includes special guest Angelica Jade Bastien!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Escape From New York is greet yeah but does it have a CGI surfing scene?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Iron Crowned posted:

Latest episode of Hooked on TJ Hooker includes special guest Angelica Jade Bastien!

It's good that them being incredibly loving stoned only made the episode 25% more meandering and chilled out than your average episode of HoTJH

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MariusLecter posted:

Escape From New York is greet yeah but does it have a CGI surfing scene?

That's the sequel, Escape from LA.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

thrawn527 posted:

That's the sequel, Escape from LA.

Exactly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh, I see what you were saying now.

I just can't get behind Escape from LA. It's, like, a bridge too silly, for me.

Escape from New York, though, is just right.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Where is hooked on TJ hooker supposed to be at it never shows up in my Patreon feed?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Invalid Validation posted:

Where is hooked on TJ hooker supposed to be at it never shows up in my Patreon feed?

I've never actually listened to Hooked on TJ Hooker but last I checked it's a completely separate podcast listing from the normal WHM stuff so you have to search for it in your podcast app to find it most likely.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’m one of the weirdos who prefers Escape From L.A. because of how much goofier it is. Carpenter put more care into making L.A. this bizarre funhouse mirror version of itself than he did for NYC. The movie is more of a comic book than EFNY, and I think it suits the premise better.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
I feel like Escape from LA was made the same way as Gremlins 2 in the Key & Peele sketch. Everyone just sat around a table shouting ideas at random and it all got put in the movie, for better or worse. Bruce Campbell is the clear highlight, though.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

explosivo posted:

I've never actually listened to Hooked on TJ Hooker but last I checked it's a completely separate podcast listing from the normal WHM stuff so you have to search for it in your podcast app to find it most likely.

Totally it, thanks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Invalid Validation posted:

Totally it, thanks.

While you're at it, check out Blame it on outer space.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

While you're at it, check out Blame it on outer space.

That's not very nice :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Iron Crowned posted:

That's not very nice :(

Well drat. Is it gone? It's not showing up in my podcast apps and I can't find it online on the web.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well drat. Is it gone? It's not showing up in my podcast apps and I can't find it online on the web.

It’s under the getty museum

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Which episode is it where one of them makes up a new racist stereotype puppet for Jeff Dunham and the other guys inform him that it already exists?

Come to think of it, it actually might not even be this show.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Andorra posted:

Which episode is it where one of them makes up a new racist stereotype puppet for Jeff Dunham and the other guys inform him that it already exists?

Come to think of it, it actually might not even be this show.

This is only an educated guess (and I didn't listen to the entire clip here), but possible it's from The Island only because of the adjacent puppet conversation that created Randy Blarblah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLviJx1j70

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1388605644694081537

(That's Henry Gilbert and Bob Mackey from Talking Simpsons with the gang.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SilentChaz posted:

The Simpsons movie? It did come out more than 10 years ago. (2007? Holy poo poo.)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hmm, I think I still have a copy. It’s been quite some time since I’ve seen it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

Hmm, I think I still have a copy. It’s been quite some time since I’ve seen it.

I remember liking it at the time, and thinking it was way better than the show had gotten. But now literally all I remember are a pretty funny "rock and a hard place" joke, and Bart's penis.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

SilentChaz posted:

Ugh. I used to listen to Talking Simpsons every week, but Henry Gilbert became insufferable at a certain point and I had to stop it. As much as I want to hear the boys finally do the Simpsons Movie, I don’t know if I can handle him being there.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

thrawn527 posted:

The Simpsons movie? It did come out more than 10 years ago. (2007? Holy poo poo.)

Could be, it did just pop up on a couple of their letterboxes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GPTribefan posted:

Ugh. I used to listen to Talking Simpsons every week, but Henry Gilbert became insufferable at a certain point and I had to stop it.

I just fell off because they started getting into the bad seasons and pivoted to re-doing the early episodes again, and I think I'm good on that.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/whmpodcast/status/1388317183588114434?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When the boys guested on Talking Simpsons in 2019 I listened to it, but it just wasn't my thing, I'm indifferent otherwise since I never listened to it otherwise

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SilentChaz posted:

Wow Bob Mackey!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was holding out hope that Mortal Kombat was going to be an emergency episode situation cause that movie was terri-bad. Guess I'll just have to wait till January.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Talking Simpsons eventually got pretty insufferable for me and I had to tap out after being a patron. Good to see it looks like Henry lost a bunch of weight though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea I had to do the same with Talking Simpsons. Shame but it ran its course. As soon as they announced they were redoing the earlier seasons that was just another sign I was done. Like I know they’re getting into what is qualified as the worst of the Simpsons and it’s only bad from here on out so double dipping on the early stuff, meh. Just didn’t need it anymore.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Talking Simpsons has the momentum of a runaway freight train!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dorium posted:

Yea I had to do the same with Talking Simpsons. Shame but it ran its course. As soon as they announced they were redoing the earlier seasons that was just another sign I was done. Like I know they’re getting into what is qualified as the worst of the Simpsons and it’s only bad from here on out so double dipping on the early stuff, meh. Just didn’t need it anymore.

I wouldn't want to force myself to watch poo poo, especially when you're looking at literal years of poo poo, for the rest of your life, and especially when it is bad and boring. Watching a bad movie can be fun, but bad and boring just means you get a boring show.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea, I feel like I would set a hard stop years prior like “we’re going into season 10 and ending there. After that we’re moving onto other shows and dipping back into the Simpsons occasionally if an episode sounds interesting”. A bit like how the show Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman have done with U Talking U2 To Me? And ended up at “U Talkin Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head”. Just change up the show. Same setup and all that but get yourself out of having to watch into the depths of hell that is the last 20+ years of the Simpsons.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly I didn't entirely mind them going back because the LasterTime episodes were really different, and I think they also had a falling out with that original host.

I think for me, it was a mix of general repetitiveness at a point. I was also annoyed when they would slide into Dirtbag Left circles. Every time the Chapo guys came on, the show became a slog. It was also really frustrating that they had a real blind spot ablism. I enjoyed how they were critical of race on the show, but never really had the same eye for like Ralph. The Bart goes on ADHD meds episode found me really frustrated with them because they were spewing a bunch of ignorant poo poo about Attention Deficit disorders and medication. And it's like, "Guys, you dig up weird minute Simpsons trivia but you can't watch like a ten minute youtube video or read a wikipedia page?" None of it was intolerable, but all just slowly soured me.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 11, 2021

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly I didn't entirely mind them going back because the LasterTime episodes were really different, and I think they also had a falling out with that original host.

I think for me, it was a mix of general repetitiveness at a point. I was also annoyed when they would slide into Dirtbag Left circles. Every time the Chap guys came on, the show became a slog. It was also really frustrating that they had a real blind spot ablism. I enjoyed how they critical or race on the show, but never really had the same eye for like Ralph. The Bart goes on ADHD meds episode found me really frustrated with them because they were spewing a bunch of ignorant poo poo about Attention Deficit disorders and medication. And it's like, "Guys, you dig up weird minute system trivia but you can't watch like a ten minute youtube video or read a wikipedia page?" None of it was intolerable, but all just slowly soured me.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that had these problems with the show. One of the first times I got really annoyed with Henry was during the Cape Feare episode. Henry said something about the rake joke, then spent about 10 minutes (and a whole ton of time on other episodes) apologizing because it may have sounded like he said “rape joke”. Despite everyone listening knowing what he was talking about, despite everyone knowing the bit, he still would not let it go. I get the need to be sensitive, but when it starts consuming every aspect of the show it’s a bit much. He would seemingly look for things to misconstrue as offensive, never taking into account the time period, the context, or that he might just flat out be wrong.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

With Talking Simpsons I liked the behind the scenes nuggets, info about pop culture at the time of the episodes airing and stories about the guests' relationship with the show. But then I would never find the actual discussion of the episode all that interesting. I don't feel like you can really riff on or be more entertaining than an episode of Golden Age Simpsons and maybe it would be better if they didn't go through the whole episode but instead focused on certain jokes, production elements, etc.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Going back through the Patreon exclusive WHM/WLM and drat I forgot how good the Grinch episode is with all the “who” puns. That and the bit about tricking the widow Suess into falling asleep so they can sneak a dog analingus joke in there.

Also, Once in a Lifetime is everything I wanted it to be and I can’t wait to get to next month’s episode. I went back and listened to Invisible Child and Cyber Seduction as prep while doing yard work and they are still absolute masterpiece episodes.

The Boys are doing Whistilin’ Hands Christ’s work here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Andorra posted:

I want to say Tango and Cash? I know the bit you're talking about where they show Andrew the racist puppet.