Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Knowing how many squads are in the area is an underrated ability. Gives you a better idea of whether it's worth fighting or not, especially at higher levels of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think Horizon needed another cooldown nerf to Lift, the other nerfs to it they were adding seemed like it would've been enough.

I'm a little baffled that they're repeatedly hitting her gravity lift for being too mobile and then immediately introducing Valk.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I have pretty much been playing Crypto 75% of the time recently and he's really good for a certain style of player. I feel like I can comment on him a little.

His big thing is that he's very safe, all of his stuff can be done from behind a rock 100 meters away. The bad news is that quite frankly a lot of his stuff is "oh you got your rear end kicked? You might be able to recover now". Crypto has zero ability to reset mid-fight, unlike Gibby or Lifeline. He can't reposition either. And if you're close to the enemy squad getting on your drone is a great way to not be able to help your teammates or get flanked and die while you're playing Gameboy. So Crypto is very much a Legend that preps before the fight, helps the push with EMP, locates rats, helps enter third party situations by scouting both sets of combatants, and recovers banners afterwards if it's too hot. That's a lot of useful soft skills but once you're actually in the fight he has no abilities that matter other than where he left his drone (good players just flick and blow it up immediately if they see it btw), and winning fights directly with Crypto's ability is tough.

So he could probably use another passive and a little bit of a faster transition to being in and out of drone. There's been some ok ideas on the Reddit that could give him a little boost. Unless they completely rehaul him he'll always be the information and prep guy, and that's ok. It's a good and useful niche to have until very late game where you know where everyone is and just have to kill them.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think Horizon needed another cooldown nerf to Lift, the other nerfs to it they were adding seemed like it would've been enough.

I'm a little baffled that they're repeatedly hitting her gravity lift for being too mobile and then immediately introducing Valk.

Valk can't shoot while actively moving midair if I understand properly.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Overminty posted:

Valk can't shoot while actively moving midair if I understand properly.

Not just shooting but also being difficult to hit, so you can heal as well if needed.

I like Horizon a lot but she definitely needs the nerf. Someone pointed out that Horizon is the only character with a team mobility option on her tactical. Every other team movement ability is an ulti. That alone makes her extremely powerful.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Haven't purchased a legend since i got rampart, breaking the streak for valk, she looks so fun.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF22ySOzs-o

Arenas seem fun

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Crypto is a top tier legend, but his usefulness is a VAST canyon depending on if you have 2 friends on mic who are playing for the actual win vs 2 TTV randoms who are rushing 200m away to get into a 1vs10 and disconnect when they go down after bitching at you on mic.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

lol @5:22 where he gets a "return to the battle" countdown and acts surprised when it kills him.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Crypto is a useful character, my only real issue with him isn't so much his abilities but the types of players who play him. Like the guy I had yesterday in a diamond ranked game who somehow managed to do zero damage over an entire game where all of us survived to the top five (some revives involved) and I ratted out a second place finish. Crypto seems to attract a lot of those types for whatever reason, seemingly more than any other character I can think of.

That said I've seen what he can do in the right hands and he is powerful, the EMP if timed correctly can definitely tilt a fight and just knowing how many squads are in the area the second you pop your drone out is a super underrated ability as I've said before.

As for Horizon the accelerated strafing she can currently do at the top of her queue is kinda ridiculous as she becomes nearly impossible to hit when doing that. It's not quite as ridiculous as old wraith but not far off either.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 29, 2021

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's a lotta lotta Cryptos who seem to think their sole job is to dick around in the drone while the rest of the team does all the actual shooting. Great if they're an enemy team and the drone's doing silly lil' loop-de-loops while you 3v2 the rest of them, naturally quite poo poo if they're your Crypto. These ones also don't seem to know any of the neat useful stuff the drone can do (respawn, nearby squads ping) and aren't all that good at flying it either.

Funnily enough, I find a lotta random Cryptos like to just... not use the drone, at all. As far as they're concerned, Crypto doesn't have abilities. Just baffling.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

xtal posted:

That's the entire point of his drone though. Imagine if Bangalore's active was the smoke grenade and her passive was "Enemies are unable to see through smoke created by your grenades."

MarshyMcFly posted:

A true passive ability would be an innate buff that gives him a unique feature to all other legends. The only thing that even comes close to his "passive" is his ability to use survey beacons without his drone. But bloodhound and pathfinder both have that ability too and Valkarie soon.

to clarify: to me, Crypto's drone is so versatile with just so many different and unique things in one ability that I understand why Respawn decided to not just give him some passive bonus he gets all the time. His drone is his identity as a legend. Sure every Recon class can interact with survey beacons and kinda half counts as a passive for that entire legend type but at least each one gets something mostly unique out of it.

Like the comparison with Bangalore's smoke grenade does and doesn't work since you could consider it a mostly one dimensional Tactical: you use the smoke to provide cover or obscure an enemy squads view, while occasionally bonking someone for 10 damage. You can't do much else with it. However, when you think Bangalore you do think SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE and also the mortar strike. You don't think "Goes faster while running when shot at." Bang has her passive since it contributes to her kit and being an Assault legend as a whole, but isn't really a distinct part of it.

Crypto drone on the other hand can spot/scout enemies from safety, let you know if squads are in 200 meters instantly, open/close doors, pick up banners, instantly respawn squad mates, distract foes during a peek war, and a plethora of other niche things. It cooks, it cleans, it does your taxes and keeps you company when you're feeling down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Horizon's grav lift is the only mobility option in the game that lets you use a device and maintain perfect accuracy on it, which alongside the being able to jank heal on it seems to be a huge problem. I thought with Valk the difference is that she has to pull her gun out every time she comes out of flight, so you have time to react. Horizon never really gave you that. Just a really, really quiet audio cue and then suddenly you don't have cover and you're dead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When octane is holding the stimpack and using the bow the arrows just sorta load themselves in.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

When octane is holding the stimpack and using the bow the arrows just sorta load themselves in.

when you start seeing magazines floating around on their own merit that's how you know you got the good stim, and it's definitely time to attack.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

Funnily enough, I find a lotta random Cryptos like to just... not use the drone, at all. As far as they're concerned, Crypto doesn't have abilities. Just baffling.
Some of these people might've just randomly got assigned him after someone else took Octane or whatever their fav character is.

But yeah in general that's a problem, people not using their characters' abilities when the situation warrants them. Can't think of how many times I've played with a wraith that never once set up a portal, Caustics that don't seem to understand the idea of putting up barrels when a teammate gets downed but is able to get inside a building, Bloodhounds who don't use their ulti and scan during fights, Lifelines who don't rez when they're right next to you (LIFELINE!!!!!!!!11111111111) etc. Yesterday me and a buddy basically had the game in the bag because the last two teams were fighting and we saw some downs. I proceed to wipe the one team by myself while they fought the other squad of only 2 guys. I then look over to them and they're both down and I lose the 1v2 after the Gibby bubble rezzes his teammate. Our other teammate was a Bangalore who never once used their ultimate or smoke the entire game despite the fact that we had inside position of the ring and could've just gatekept them with ease with the Bangalore Ulti (which would've popped after the bubble went down most likely and almost certainly did damage). Not the end of the world but kinda frustrating to lose a game like that and you can kinda see why some people have such low win rates.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

On an unrelated note, when are they going to add more class abilities? Recon is the only class that gets a bonus, the rest of the class types are meaningless.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Despite what I thought, Lifeline still seems good despite losing the shield. She seems like a pretty strong pick in Arena mode, so probably still good in the BR mode.

Do we know how map rotations will work in Arena mode?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tibalt posted:

Do we know how map rotations will work in Arena mode?

The map cycles every 15 minutes between three maps, both of the bespoke arena maps and one of the BR cutdown maps

The BR cutdown in rotation changes every 2 weeks

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

the wild thing about apex mobile is it's not a port, they rebuilt the whole game from scratch on unreal engine 4

that's quite an investment

that's wild

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SKULL.GIF posted:

They want people to be excited by Valk. New characters sucking at launch is bad for business.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Horizon's Gravity Lift:
Reduced lift speed by 30%
Reduced side-to-side acceleration
Limited the time you can sit at the top of Gravity Lift to 2 seconds
Increased cooldown from 15s to 20s.

Reducing the side to side acceleration is very good. Adding a cap to the duration you can sit on top is... fine, I guess? But 2 seconds seems a bit short. I'll have to try it out. Another cooldown increase is a bummer.

30% slower rise on top of everything? That seems a bit drastic.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 30, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
But that's okay. Surely they buffed the poo poo out of some of the worst champions like Crypto, right? right?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Horizon's tactical was insanely good. Too versatile for a movement-based tactical in my opinion.

edit: I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to my pub teammates in advance, as I am going to take the Bocek every opportunity I can and I'm going to completely suck with it

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

TrixR4kids posted:

Some of these people might've just randomly got assigned him after someone else took Octane or whatever their fav character is.

But yeah in general that's a problem, people not using their characters' abilities when the situation warrants them. Can't think of how many times I've played with a wraith that never once set up a portal, Caustics that don't seem to understand the idea of putting up barrels when a teammate gets downed but is able to get inside a building, Bloodhounds who don't use their ulti and scan during fights, Lifelines who don't rez when they're right next to you (LIFELINE!!!!!!!!11111111111) etc. Yesterday me and a buddy basically had the game in the bag because the last two teams were fighting and we saw some downs. I proceed to wipe the one team by myself while they fought the other squad of only 2 guys. I then look over to them and they're both down and I lose the 1v2 after the Gibby bubble rezzes his teammate. Our other teammate was a Bangalore who never once used their ultimate or smoke the entire game despite the fact that we had inside position of the ring and could've just gatekept them with ease with the Bangalore Ulti (which would've popped after the bubble went down most likely and almost certainly did damage). Not the end of the world but kinda frustrating to lose a game like that and you can kinda see why some people have such low win rates.

really makes you wonder how they get to diamond, that question keeps me awake at least 4 nights a week

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

really makes you wonder how they get to diamond, that question keeps me awake at least 4 nights a week
Yeah the game I’m talking about at the bottom of that post was just a pub, I just sorta learn to never expect reasonably competent players in those games. The one with the crypto doing zero damage I don’t remember if he was actually diamond or if his buddy was and he was plat IV. The fact that I don’t know the answer there tells you everything you need to know about a lot of the diamond 4 duos you get paired up with as a solo. I realize it’s late in the season and a masters push is unlikely but it’s kinda ridic how many people get to diamond 4 and just completely give up on the idea of advancing or even trying to.

One of my favorites from the other day was these two shitters insisting that we land hot (towers) after I pinged orbital, and then abandoning me (they go bottom last second) as I actually land in the tower between an entire team. I then used the text to talk thing and said “really!?” at which point the one guy typed back stfu and died while typing it :laffo:. I then just typed “trash” at which point he exited his party chat (yes he had a mic the entire time) to tell me that he has a masters badge and that he can prove he isn’t trash if I join his party. Like yeah dude, I really care about your season 1 masters rank on Xbox before cross play and am gonna stop playing the game because you need to prove something to some random you just met on the internet -_-. Pretty sure that guy had zero damage too.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 30, 2021

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0bKEz464-s

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In what universe is Crypto ever considered the worst character.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This one. I hope other Universes figured it out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He's not, statistically fuse is, although its been half a season since i checked

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The dev stream clarified how automatic arrow pickups work - it will only happen if you have a partial stack of arrows already, so it won't consume any more slots in your inventory. Smart.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Because crypto is boring as gently caress to play as. The only time crypto was fun was when you could put sheila on his drone.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Crypto is fun when you realise that his drone can be used to bait people into revealing their positions by enraging them with your incessant sensor pings

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Crypto is fantastic if you have a team who listens and coordinates well with him and are patient enough to pick their battles, which is why he's bad

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lmao that this video shows every emote exactly once... except this one here for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0bKEz464-s&t=401s

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Crypto is strong, but requires pretty specific movement and tactical habits to be able to use the drone without dragging down your movement or combat. Things like pulling the drone out while sliding, how to check banners as quickly as possible, how to set up a useful security camera...

Basically, you have to be able to use the drone *only as much as necessary* to get the info you need. I love playing crypto but I have to take breaks sometimes because it's a lot to keep track of. Bloodhound is like lazy crypto and mirage is fun crypto. Revenant is agressive crypto. Come to think of it, everyone is some kind crypto offbrand

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

im just bad crypto

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
PSA
so for once :reddit: was useful and people over there organised a large gathering on may 1st to play tf2, to show Respawn that tf2 players care and want tf3 and we're not just making GBS threads on apex.
So, if anyone wants to enjoy some hawt tf2 action, hop on in may 1st. Will be fun.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Dehumanise yourself and just play Apex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Erulisse posted:

PSA
so for once :reddit: was useful and people over there organised a large gathering on may 1st to play tf2, to show Respawn that tf2 players care and want tf3 and we're not just making GBS threads on apex.
So, if anyone wants to enjoy some hawt tf2 action, hop on in may 1st. Will be fun.

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1388177450748682245