Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
At first I was like 'i hope all the awesome fight animation isn't just one or two episodes' but then I realized I actually like the slow banter and vampire plotting scenes from S3. "This is better than sex" still cracks me up as a will they/won't they reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Bust Rodd posted:

That looks loving sick as hell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Thundercracker posted:

At first I was like 'i hope all the awesome fight animation isn't just one or two episodes' but then I realized I actually like the slow banter and vampire plotting scenes from S3. "This is better than sex" still cracks me up as a will they/won't they reveal.

This is a series that iirc opens on a conversation about goat loving, I feel the banter is a signature thing to it. Still love the bit where Godbrand and such are discussing vampire weaknesses from a vampire's perspective.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should have the villain succeed in resurrecting Dracula, only for him to choose to stay in Hell with his wife

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They did look pretty content in there last season, in that portal scene.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RBA Starblade posted:

They should have the villain succeed in resurrecting Dracula, only for him to choose to stay in Hell with his wife

He just squashes the villain and goes back to Hell.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
He appears in Bermuda shorts and sunglasses, visible from the portal behind him is his wife in a swimsuit with a daquiri telling him to get back in here.

Impatient sigh followed by a blood shower before he waves goodbye to the confused protagonists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I unfortunately (for Dracula) get the vibe that the series intends to set up the Castlevania status quo as something Dracula doesn't get much of a choice in.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I unfortunately (for Dracula) get the vibe that the series intends to set up the Castlevania status quo as something Dracula doesn't get much of a choice in.

That's how it's always been in Castlevania. Letting Dracula say "gently caress Off" and stay with his wife in hell would be an interesting change of pace.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Montage of various cults summoning Dracula over the centuries only for him to immediately kill himself every time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fuckin' HYPE. Love that Alucard is adventuring with his shirt wide open, the stans are going to go crazy over that.

Is this meant to be the last season? Obviously they could keep this going forever (and I wouldn't mind if they did) but I wonder if it has been popular or profitable enough as a series to warrant additional seasons.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It's being advertised as the last season but there are talks about making "spinoffs" in the future

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It sounds like they're trying to weirdly TV-speak the concept of a sequel series with a new cast/generation of characters as we expected to happen as if the people they're talking to don't understand that Castlevania is set in many different eras.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, I just assumed it was the last season with the Trevor/Sypha/Alucard trio.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That makes sense, although sadboi Alucard will of course be back.

Trevor and Sypha are immensely charming so it's unfortunate that we won't get more of their adventures but Simon and Richter will carry on the fine himbo adventurer tradition.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Adapt Simon's Quest and have Alucard be like "okay who the gently caress is trying to bring Dad back this time" and have him get pissed as hell when he realizes it's Trevor's great grandson

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Sam Deats has hinted that Alucard will be back in the possible sequel series. I figured making an entirely new series rather than just more seasons might be due to not wanting any ties to Warren Ellis anymore, which makes sense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Szmitten posted:

It sounds like they're trying to weirdly TV-speak the concept of a sequel series with a new cast/generation of characters as we expected to happen as if the people they're talking to don't understand that Castlevania is set in many different eras.

I mean, would people who didn't grow up with the game know? The last thing they did with the franchise besides this was put two protagonists in Smash Bros Ultimate as far as I'm aware.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd wager they'll cancel this so they can start a new series over with a season 1 salary structure instead of a season 5's, plus they can bypass the union rules that would otherwise ensure ousted sex abuser Warren Ellis continued payment post-firing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

LividLiquid posted:

I'd wager they'll cancel this so they can start a new series over with a season 1 salary structure instead of a season 5's, plus they can bypass the union rules that would otherwise ensure ousted sex abuser Warren Ellis continued payment post-firing.

That kind of reasoning makes sense to me. Go with Castlevania: Subtitle and off you go. I don't know if that's enough, but I feel like you gotta keep that Castlevania in there. Sucks for the animators or whoever who wouldn't be making season 5 money though.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Belmont's Bizarre Adventure: Whipping Tendency

itry
Aug 23, 2019

NowonSA posted:

That kind of reasoning makes sense to me. Go with Castlevania: Subtitle and off you go. I don't know if that's enough, but I feel like you gotta keep that Castlevania in there. Sucks for the animators or whoever who wouldn't be making season 5 money though.

I don't see why they should replace the company they're outsourcing the animation to (Powerhouse Animation Studios). But I don't know anything about Hollywood/media bookkeeping.

Netflix could just rename this series to Castlevania: The Trevor Years, or something, and create another entry named Castlevania: Dracula 2 Boogalugosi

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is a series that iirc opens on a conversation about goat loving, I feel the banter is a signature thing to it. Still love the bit where Godbrand and such are discussing vampire weaknesses from a vampire's perspective.

Maybe not what you're talking about but whatta great scene

https://youtu.be/d9gJKiAoy4o

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
As much as people feel like a Simon series is obligated, I don't think there's anyone for him to interact with aside from Error. Given that someone already said they wanted to adapt Symphony (and therefore probably Rondo) and that they REALLY wanted to adapt Soma, I'd assume those are what we're getting and Alucard will be the throughline.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I know it's a long shot but if they do Rondo/Symphony I would kill for a season adapting Order of Ecclesia, the best of the DS games, since that game's plot is all about what happened after the Belmont clan went underground and it would bridge the gap between Richter and Julius. You could also do it with Portrait of Ruin's story, but if I had to choose one or the other...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Richter would be a solid choice since he's the polar opposite of Trevor, personality-wise. They had better use the Symphony version of him, though. I'm not a fan of his redesigns. How dare they give him a haircut!

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I've always been a big fan of Portrait of Ruin's potential and setting, but Jonathan and Charlotte have basically the same skillsets as Trevor and Sypha so I don't see it happening anytime soon. It also would need a few dracula resurrections for the whole 'surprise, no draculas here' thing to hold any weight

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Teen Titans GO style animated show about uWu Dracula and Death as friends who play board games and are constantly being interrupted by annoying chibi Belmonts

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They should make a series of shorts that runs alongside whatever it is they decide to go with. The shorts will feature chibi Kid Dracula, doing... w/e the gently caress a chibi Kid Dracula does. Probably getting into fights at school with his brother while his father finds new ways to hide from the Ottomans every episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Szmitten posted:

As much as people feel like a Simon series is obligated, I don't think there's anyone for him to interact with aside from Error.

You can just make up supporting characters. Or you can have him be a wandering hero who gets into adventures everywhere he goes. You can have him be directly tied to the newly reformed church, or a political exile as a result of a clash between his lineage and the new direction of the church. You could make him a family man to contrast with Trevor's drunken wanderlust. You could precipitate the story to the Simon's Quest era and have him be defined by his search for a cure.

A severe lack of imagination is not a good reason to skip the most iconic Belmont.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Szmitten posted:

As much as people feel like a Simon series is obligated, I don't think there's anyone for him to interact with aside from Error.
Error and Bagu were Zelda 2. Though it's an easy mistake to make, considering the text boxes look and act identical and the clues are similarly obtuse.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

itry posted:

I don't see why they should replace the company they're outsourcing the animation to (Powerhouse Animation Studios). But I don't know anything about Hollywood/media bookkeeping.

Netflix could just rename this series to Castlevania: The Trevor Years, or something, and create another entry named Castlevania: Dracula 2 Boogalugosi

Below the line employees generally don't make anymore working on Season 5 of a series than they do Season 1. The studio charges more but rarely does that reach of individual animators outside of any potential bonuses for hitting milestone. As for switching studios entirely, you could say it was a conscious choice to make the new series feel separate from the old, but a common enough occurrence is that, without a form order in place, the animation studio has to book other projects and might not have the schedule space to complete the show when Netflix wants it delivered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Simon could well just go all Samurai Jack with a chain whip.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You can just make up supporting characters. Or you can have him be a wandering hero who gets into adventures everywhere he goes. You can have him be directly tied to the newly reformed church, or a political exile as a result of a clash between his lineage and the new direction of the church. You could make him a family man to contrast with Trevor's drunken wanderlust. You could precipitate the story to the Simon's Quest era and have him be defined by his search for a cure.

A severe lack of imagination is not a good reason to skip the most iconic Belmont.

Netflix are never going to make this a 12 season series going through every major arc of the games, if the new showrunner decide they want to use their time to do Dracula War or Soma rather than the 80s Conan knockoff guy power to them

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Has Netflix done any shows that lasted more than 3 or 4 seasons? I get the feeling that at least one executive there still thinks that the "65 then syndication" rule still applies.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Has Netflix done any shows that lasted more than 3 or 4 seasons? I get the feeling that at least one executive there still thinks that the "65 then syndication" rule still applies.

Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Stranger Things will get a fifth season...

Netflix is operating on a different sort of release structure; but that really only applies to live action. Animation, on the other hand, is typically commissioned in large multi-season chunks, often with defined end dates. A lot of this is because of the long lead times required on these kinds of projects. It's pretty clear that Warren Ellis was already moving on to another Netflix project about a year ago.

I imagine all this "we could do a spin off" talk is based around the fact that they've unavoidably ended the project already.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Below the line employees generally don't make anymore working on Season 5 of a series than they do Season 1. The studio charges more but rarely does that reach of individual animators outside of any potential bonuses for hitting milestone. As for switching studios entirely, you could say it was a conscious choice to make the new series feel separate from the old, but a common enough occurrence is that, without a form order in place, the animation studio has to book other projects and might not have the schedule space to complete the show when Netflix wants it delivered.

Castlevania's art and animation is actually pretty good, so I hope that doesn't happen. But... we're all assuming there's going to be another season/series in 1 to 1.5 years from now, ready to binge, but who knows if or when they actually get to it. It's very possible that Powerhouse will be busy at the time.

Technowolf posted:

Orange is the New Black is a Netflix show, right?

Edit: beaten. I guess the handful of examples are the exception to the vast majority of their shows.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 3, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bojack Horseman made it to 5, but there was a ton of scuttlebutt online because the cancellation notice and announcement that the 5th season would be the last came quite hot-on-the-heels of a rumor that Lisa Hanawalt’s art studio would attempt to unionize so a lot of people think Netflix canned their 2nd most popular program to avoid dealing with unionized artists.

Meanwhile loving Bug Mouth has like 5-6 seasons and 2 more in the bank?

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, would people who didn't grow up with the game know? The last thing they did with the franchise besides this was put two protagonists in Smash Bros Ultimate as far as I'm aware.

I haven't played a single Castlevania game, and haven't had a Nintendo console/played a Nintendo game since the N64. I don't really know anything about the series except for the premise, vague screenshots of the various Castlevania games over the years, and that one meme of Dracula sitting on his throne that gets repurposed.

I think I've heard Netflix having a 3 season guideline or rule (eg Narcos), so I wouldn't be surprised if this ends and we get a new series. As long as it is on par or better. I've really been entertained and liked what I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm guessing that the Ramayana-based animated series Powerhouse was going to do with Warren Ellis has been shitcanned, yeah?