Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

tried using fedora 34 on a surface today.

why is tablet mode and linux still such a clownshow? it's weird as hell, you still don't have an actual option of using linux on a tablet without it being android.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/181

"Created 3 years ago"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

osk straight up does not work in xorg either. if you open up e.g. firefox and the osk pops out over, firefox will steal all touch inputs, even if the osk is overlayed.

i thought gnome was supposed to be touch focused

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tankakern posted:

osk straight up does not work in xorg either. if you open up e.g. firefox and the osk pops out over, firefox will steal all touch inputs, even if the osk is overlayed.

I had a ton of problems with firefox in fedora 34 if installed to the system. Try installing the flatpak verson of firefox. It has played MUCH better at not stealing focus or inputs.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

happened with both chromium and firefox. didn't test that many programs i guess, but it seemed like a generic problem

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hifi posted:

drat. computers sounded awful 20 years ago

ASK me about having to email the XFree86 maintainers for a source patch to support my obscure Virge graphics card variant and spending literally a day compiling X from scratch so I could go from 640x480 VGA to that sweet sweet high res 1024x768 on my 14" CRT

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/854645/334317047842b6c3/

quote:

A look at the full set of [University of Minnesota] patches reinforces some early impressions, though. First is that almost all of them do address some sort of real (if obscure and hard to hit) problem; there was a justification for writing a patch. While many of these fixes showed a low level of understanding of what the code was doing and thus contained errors, it seems unlikely that any of them were malicious in their intent.

That said, there are multiple definitions of "malice". To some of the developers involved, posting unverified patches from an experimental static-analysis tool without disclosing their nature is a malicious act. It is another form of experiment involving non-consenting humans. At a minimum, it is a violation of the trust that is required for the kernel's development community to work effectively.

The 42 bad patches out of 190 is a 22% bad-patch rate. Chances are, a detailed review of 190 patches from almost any kernel developer would turn up a few that, in retrospect, were not a good idea. Hopefully that rate would not approach 22%, though. But it must be said that all of those patches were accepted by subsystem maintainers throughout the kernel, which is not a great result. Perhaps that is a more interesting outcome than the one that the original "hypocrite commit" researchers were looking for. They failed in their effort to deliberately insert bugs, but were able to inadvertently add dozens of them.

lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the way this is starting to smell from the researcher side is that they'd spent years submitting what they (more or less) thought was good patches, then one day they update their tools or review their history, and realize that a lot of what was accepted was pure junk. the depressed thought occurs "will the maintainers *actually* just accept any poo poo we send?", and here we are today

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the way this is starting to smell from the researcher side is that they'd spent years submitting what they (more or less) thought was good patches, then one day they update their tools or review their history, and realize that a lot of what was accepted was pure junk. the depressed thought occurs "will the maintainers *actually* just accept any poo poo we send?", and here we are today

I think all linux researchers smell, tbh

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I think all linux researchers smell, tbh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tankakern posted:

it was, then they realised that every actual gnome user hated it and nobody ever used it with touch input, so they’ve been slowly walking that back

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tankakern posted:

everything I find annoying about gnome 40 suddenly makes so much sense.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the people who fund gnome dev got distracted and bored and refocused efforts elsewhere after it turns out only apple can make a competent tablet and ad-subsidized users were happy with androids

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

PipeWire - NixOS Wiki posted:

pre:
# Remove sound.enable or turn it off if you had it set previously, it seems to cause conflicts with pipewire
#sound.enable = false;

To achieve the latest and greatest(?) in linux sound, you must first disable sound

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Magissima posted:

To achieve the latest and greatest(?) in linux sound, you must first disable sound

if you set on a path for sound on linux dig two grqves

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

if big buck bunny sits under a tree on Linux does it make a sound?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Tankakern posted:

tried using fedora 34 on a surface today.

why is tablet mode and linux still such a clownshow? it's weird as hell, you still don't have an actual option of using linux on a tablet without it being android.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/181

"Created 3 years ago"

it's cause the majority of linux programmers react to non-text-based UIs the same way vampires react to sunlight

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankakern posted:

fedora is more likely to gently caress your poo poo up several times a year than arch is. lmao.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

fedora is more likely to gently caress your poo poo up several times a year than arch is. lmao.

idk i haven't really had any such problems despite having gone out of my way to break things with prerelease software

animist posted:

it's cause the majority of linux programmers react to non-text-based UIs the same way vampires react to sunlight

a good policy imo because most non-text-based UIs these days are electron poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

idk i haven't really had any such problems despite having gone out of my way to break things with prerelease software

a good policy imo because most non-text-based UIs these days are electron poo poo

I made the mistake of trying to use fedora on my only computer at the time because I thought it would be more reliable than arch, which was doing some annoying thing about printing. turns out systemd-resolved doesn’t play nice with f5vpn, which I had to use for work. you also have to edit configuration files to point to URLs for older versions because a lot of the software is packaged not for whatever version you have installed but something like three versions earlier. and then they just keep changing poo poo every six months in a way you have no control over. LENNART!

anyway. electron people are like “this is a godsend for productivity. here’s my implementation of dd. if you don’t like it you probably have some growing up to do.”

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

good news, text based uis are also all moving to electron poo poo lmfao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the entire javascript ecosystem is complete poo poo, but what is making me come around on electron more and more is that like dom+css+media support is actually about as good as we have for flexibly putting properly formatted mostly-text stuff onto screen.

and tbqh it is one of those things that are *actually* good for linux, if the usage numbers for a kernel is what you care about.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

arch is whack nerd trash, fedora is the osx of linuxes

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

or should that be….os11

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

I made the mistake of trying to use fedora on my only computer at the time because I thought it would be more reliable than arch, which was doing some annoying thing about printing. turns out systemd-resolved doesn’t play nice with f5vpn, which I had to use for work. you also have to edit configuration files to point to URLs for older versions because a lot of the software is packaged not for whatever version you have installed but something like three versions earlier. and then they just keep changing poo poo every six months in a way you have no control over. LENNART!

anyway. electron people are like “this is a godsend for productivity. here’s my implementation of dd. if you don’t like it you probably have some growing up to do.”

that is a very useful program on windows at least

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i enjoy your mums implementation of DD

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sapozhnik posted:

behold, a prime specimen of a linux user in their natural environment

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the russians used ncurses, op

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

I never have problems OP, maybe your just bad at linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i use fedora on all non-tinker devices i have, and that works just fine. i just got astonished by the poor user experience in gnome (or linux in general) if you try it with a touch device

maybe i should try and see if ubuntu touch still works

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Back in 2015 or so I used Gnome 3 on a laptop with a touchscreen. It worked pretty well and I suspect that was more the target device than tablets or convertibles.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

balena etcher is awesome and I'm sorry you feel like everyone should learn how to use dd in a way that won't result in shooting themselves in the foot

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
etcher is v needs suiting and its biggest win over dd is a tie between "you don't have to write the dd command" and "you get a progress bar without doing dumb poo poo around sigusr or whatever"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

the reason etcher is dumb and bad is that it implies your software lives on an sd card because you're using a raspberry pi lol

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

also because it's associated with balena whose product is "we put docker on your raspberry pi so it's easy to use look you can get a shell from a web interface into each and every product and updates are as simple as pushing a git repo with a dockerfile in the root what do you mean sometimes your devices aren't on the internet? why do they exist then?"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

okay

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dd has had a live progress bar using status=progress for probably decades by now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

dd has had a live progress bar using status=progress for probably decades by now

i was about to say..

although using a version of dd old enough to drive would be very unix

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

i was about to say..

although using a version of dd old enough to drive would be very unix

thankfully i never have to use dd but this is exactly the experience of using the unix environment on z systems and it's obnoxious

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dd is fine what are you moaning about

etcher exemplifies what's wrong with the software development world of today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

dd is fine what are you moaning about

etcher exemplifies what's wrong with the software development world of today

if only btrfs had an image burning GUI, then you might approve