Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That just makes me think The Rat Race. Or that one Jojo.

Anime, mostly being derived from manga, seems to pull off long-form serialised storytelling way better than live action television manages to. Probably helps that they're not restricted by the medium and traditionally stick to the one writer so you have a consistent voice and tone.

The best new thing I'm watching is Haikyuu, which is about a highschool volleyball team in Japan trying to make it to nationals. Entire seasons just take place over only like 1 or 2 matches and motherfucker I am HERE FOR IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shageletic posted:

The best new thing I'm watching is Haikyuu, which is about a highschool volleyball team in Japan trying to make it to nationals. Entire seasons just take place over only like 1 or 2 matches and motherfucker I am HERE FOR IT

Haikyuu is great and I now find volleyball interesting, wtf

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

who knew? I thought it was a sport for nerds but I suddenly wanna go out there and do spikes and jump serves and poo poo. Shoulda watched this as a kid.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Can we turn it around and talk about terrible shows that were bad right away and rightfully died immediately?

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip loving sucked and deserved to die way before it did (it somehow got 22 episodes!). Who knew that Aaron Sorkin was bad at sketch comedy? ...What's that? Everyone? Oh, okay.

(Also, I watched the premiere of this show instead of watching the rest of a Dodger game because they were down by a lot and I figured the game was over. Then the Dodgers hit 4 consecutive home runs to tie the game and later went on to win it. I'll never forgive Sorkin for this.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Man, a live action steel ball run TV show could kick incredible accounts of rear end if they were willing to maintain the insanity of the source material.

I'd be impressed with any faithful long-form anime adaptation, really. Speed Racer was great but broad strokes at best, given its source material has more in common with cartoons of its era than the serialised storytelling that shonen manga is known for.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

A lot of sports manga it seems tends to thread the needle by A: not assuming the audience is automatically familiar with all the rules and conventions of the sport, where some over-elaborate exposition actually becomes useful for an audience of nerds, and most importantly: being absurdly, ludicrously melodramatic about everything. I mean, there's reasons people watch irl sports.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shageletic posted:

As an unabashed fan of Angel I was really hoping that Tim Minear would hit on something worth watching. He produces procedurals and apparently some of AHS? Wtf?

Hey, 9-1-1 may not be a good show, but it's really entertaining, because they pretty much skipped the first 4 seasons in the writer's room and dove headfirst into we ran out of ideas wackiness from episode 1.

9-1-1 Lonestar sucks though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What was the LOST ripoff about a Survivor-type reality show in Siberia?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I had no clue 75% of these shows existed and I’ve lost my loving mind reading these last few pages.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I had no clue 75% of these shows existed and I’ve lost my loving mind reading these last few pages.

:emptyquote:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

pospysyl posted:

What was the LOST ripoff about a Survivor-type reality show in Siberia?

It was actually called Siberia

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Every year there are a bunch of shows that I never watch, those were some from years past.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

FoneBone posted:

It was actually called Siberia

:laffo:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The United States posted:

The tagline for the show, "What if the greatest country on earth had a king?" perfectly describes the show if one believes that the greatest country on earth is Israel, but is highly deceptive if one assumes, as Americans do, that it is America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5c1Vr1fcZI

That said, the promos were overall terrible and NBC had no idea what to do with a show that put forth 150% effort on a lower budget than any modern prestige tv show.

What the gently caress!?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you get a chance, go on Youtube and search something like "ABC Fall 1982 Promo" or something along those lines. You can watch promo reels the networks would release promoting all their fall shows. The vast majority of those shows are completely forgotten because they were awful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you get a chance, go on Youtube and search something like "ABC Fall 1982 Promo" or something along those lines. You can watch promo reels the networks would release promoting all their fall shows. The vast majority of those shows are completely forgotten because they were awful.

I actually find the schedules much more facinating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982%E2%80%9383_United_States_network_television_schedule

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I want to see a visualization of timeslots and ratings over time. Seeing the Friday night death slot slowly put show after show out to pasture over the past 40 years would be illuminating.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So wait...what actually WAS the titular event in The Event?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vandar posted:

Same thing that happened in The Happening (2008).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I really enjoy that one compilation video of the football commentators hawking all the terrible post-football shows that existed over the years.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

...what was the thing that happened in The Happening?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Vandar posted:

Someone committing suicide by feeding their arms to a lion?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Vandar posted:

Nothing much, what was the thing that happened in The Happening with you?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Nothing much, what was the thing that happened in The Happening with you?

:argh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vandar posted:

It was just the wind...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I distinctly remember an ad for The Happening that featured a news broadcaster stating "there appears to be an event happening," so this checks out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vandar posted:

https://twitter.com/nedroid/status/168223072602697729?s=20

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jose Oquendo posted:

My favorite versions of these are the specials made to hype the new season's Saturday morning cartoons as sometimes they added plots but they were still ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FIFc7xAyKs

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tars Tarkas posted:

My favorite versions of these are the specials made to hype the new season's Saturday morning cartoons as sometimes they added plots but they were still ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FIFc7xAyKs

Those are great too.

I looked at that wiki page someone linked above and I forgot that networks used to devote LOTS of time to movies. It makes sense too because at that time, VHS was still in its infancy so TV was the only way to watch movies.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

The aliens teleporting their home world into Earth’s orbit with the intent of taking it over, since they used to live on Earth before humanity.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

The aliens teleporting their home world into Earth’s orbit with the intent of taking it over, since they used to live on Earth before humanity.

Of course it's goddamn aliens.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Are they aliens if they used to live on Earth?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RevKrule posted:

My favorite Lost ripoff show was "Flashforward." It had incredible star power including Joseph Fiennes, John Cho, and Courtney Vance along with two honest to god lost alums (Dominic Monaghan, Sonya Walger) and the whole show was based on the flashback/flashforward concept. It was...disappointing to say the least.

There is a TV commercial for it on Youtube and the two songs it features are the LotR trailer version of Lux Aeterna alongside a version of Mad World. Two incredible cliche promo songs in one package.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just want to thank this thread (I am reasonably sure it is this one) for recommending the Whirely Pop. Gonna watch The Mitchells vs The Machines tonight with a serving of that.

(And thanks to Mr. Robot, we're going to dump a bag of M&Ms in there too.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

Are they aliens if they used to live on Earth?

Have we discussed how racists view Native Americans and some tell them to home to their country?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There was also Persons Unknown, which was billed as a one-season Lost clone that would wrap its mysteries up by the end of the first season. It did not.

It was about a bunch of people, including Cameron from Ferris Buehller's Day Off, waking up in a weird hotel in a weird empty town who then had all kinds of weird stuff happen to them while they tried to escape and flashed back to their pre-weird town lives. It ended with like three different insane cliffhangers. I remember some of the characters woke back up in the same hotel, except now it was on a large cargo ship.

Persons Unknown also had a pre-movie star Chadwick Boseman.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'll never forget FlashForward if not for Joseph Fiennes' really, really over the top performance

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

fancy stats posted:

I think it means he has cancer?

lol

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Vandar posted:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah the whole EVENT was basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSZ2LKXqGI

You forgot the best part though, the First Lady telling her kid "we're home" as the planet warps in

Dun DUn DUN

MonsieurChoc posted:

What the gently caress!?
KINGS was an adaptation of the books of Samuel and Kings from the bible, hence the title, somewhat anachronistically transposing ancient Israel to the modern day. It was never about America, but the promos let people think that.

KINGS was fantastic, top tier Ian McShane but everyone was giving it their all.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Kings was great. Very early awesome Sebastian Stan performance.
Oh poo poo I just realized Bucky was the gay son, yeah he rules

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

The MSJ posted:

...cursed by screwing over Orlando Jones. This also happened to American Gods, by the way.

oh poo poo, I was just about to start watching American Gods. I enjoyed the book.

How bad does it get and when?

I enjoyed the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel miniseries that the BBC made, was that made because of LOST or because of Harry Potter?