Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Joey Steel posted:

Uhh, wait, how long is too long in the stroller? I usually do 1-3 30 minute walks a day when the weather is nice.

You're fine. This was like, 1.5-2 hour walks, sometimes 3 times a day sort of thing before we clamped down. Hours.

Edit:

Alterian posted:

lovely parents! I know I've bitched before, but I don't get a lot of outlet. We live in the same state as my husband's parents, but they are alcoholics. His dad hasn't even met my almost 3 year old because they won't stay sober enough to drive the couple hours to visit. My husband downplays his childhood a little bit, but I think being a parent now he's realizing how crappy his parents were. I wouldn't say they were abusive, just super crappy. He's had a lot of instances where he'll be telling me an anecdote from his childhood and I am just horrified and sad. They live near most of my husband's other relatives and since we don't go out to visit, the other relatives are pretty "meh" on keeping contact with us.

This is almost my in-laws. I've heard so many horrifying stories of my husband having to walk his drunk mom home from partying. Or the time they left my then 7 yo brother in law to watch 2 yo husband while they went out drinking and came home to the walls covered in poo poo. They tell this story and guffaw, and I'm like :stonk:

Ooooh! Also, I'm getting real sick of having to police a grown rear end woman's use of the loving n-word. They're from the old country and my god, does the casual, condescending racism grow on trees there?

2DEG fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Joey Steel posted:

Uhh, wait, how long is too long in the stroller? I usually do 1-3 30 minute walks a day when the weather is nice.

WHO just says not more than one hour at a time, and make sure to give them 30+ minutes of tummy time per day.

https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1213838/retrieve

(Page 10, 18-20 of that document).

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Lead out in cuffs posted:

WHO just says not more than one hour at a time, and make sure to give them 30+ minutes of tummy time per day.

https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1213838/retrieve

(Page 10, 18-20 of that document).

Oh, I'm pretty good then. I'm pretty sure he does at least 30 minutes ON me when I'm lying on the couch with him, and probably... 1-3 hours a day on various play mats and stuff now.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Setting boundaries with my 11 month old is legit easier than doing it with the old people in his life

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Gahhh, did anyone else’s baby turn from super chill and happy to constantly moaning/fussing and even crying around 5-6 months? Our kid is almost 27 weeks and has been like this for about 3 weeks now. The only things that are guaranteed to calm him down are giving him a bottle or walking around with him. Now he’s started fussing in his high chair too so we’re having trouble giving him solids.

Is it really just teething that can cause this?? No teeth in sight so far; he’s been super drooly since he was three months. At his six month checkup the doc basically shrugged.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Silent Linguist posted:

Gahhh, did anyone else’s baby turn from super chill and happy to constantly moaning/fussing and even crying around 5-6 months? Our kid is almost 27 weeks and has been like this for about 3 weeks now. The only things that are guaranteed to calm him down are giving him a bottle or walking around with him. Now he’s started fussing in his high chair too so we’re having trouble giving him solids.

Is it really just teething that can cause this?? No teeth in sight so far; he’s been super drooly since he was three months. At his six month checkup the doc basically shrugged.

I don't have a specific answer for that age but I can just say that for us, any time our kid is good and happy for a few weeks there's always a backlash looming on the horizon. So it's been a constant rollercoaster of worrying that something's wrong because he's crying and upset all the time, maybe seeing a doctor and being assured that he's fine, and then it just goes away for a while. Last one was just last week (he's 16 months old) where for days and days he was crying and tantruming for at least 75% of waking hours. Then suddenly after 6 days of it he just got happy again. No teeth emerged.

Our doctor has thrown out teething, gas, acid reflux, growing pains, diaper rash, and more as potential causes at different times. The only one that ever really panned out in a concrete way was the diaper rash one where we switched to water-based wipes and washcloths and it made diaper changings go from waking nightmares to... well they're still diaper changes but a bit better.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Silent Linguist posted:

Kiddo fusses a bit more but we're seeing the teeth.

Also has developed a mom-specific squeak. It's cute, except when she's not home, and he gets all sad.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Silent Linguist posted:

Teeth take a while to actually break through, so it could be that?

Kids also go through "developmental leaps" where they're working on figuring something out, like hands or sitting up. This is hard work, and they can get a bit grumpy in the process.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have found that the hardest thing about being a parent so far is how drat inconsistent baby is. Just when we think a pattern has been established, he throws us for a loop.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

remigious posted:

I have found that the hardest thing about being a parent so far is how drat inconsistent baby is. Just when we think a pattern has been established, he throws us for a loop.

Our consistent record is establishing a good bedtime rhythm for about a week, followed by two months of backsliding while nothing works like it used to. (You want books? Songs? Special dances? No! Time to figure out a new routine!)

Kid has been going to bed shockingly easily for the last four nights and I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :ohdear:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My sister in law took my 2.5 year old to a trampoline place and they were there for over 2 hours. He came back looking exhausted.

Is he napping? Of course not!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My 11 month old copies my evil laugh :3: Each time he does it, I completely forget about him waking me up at 230am wide awake and ready to go.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Our 1.5wk old girl projectile shat on my wife, the cloth bucket where we keep her diapers, a jar of triple cream ointment, and the wall. Fun times

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

life is killing me posted:

Our 1.5wk old girl projectile shat on my wife, the cloth bucket where we keep her diapers, a jar of triple cream ointment, and the wall. Fun times

wherein life is killing me learns to keep the diaper covering the bits during a diaper change

Daughter did that once to us, son hasn't... at least, not out that end. He has other things we had to learn to dodge.

It's amazing how quickly you stop caring about things being covered in poo poo/piss after you have a kid. I mean, having a dog is one thing, but kids take it to a whole new level.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

wherein life is killing me learns to keep the diaper covering the bits during a diaper change

Daughter did that once to us, son hasn't... at least, not out that end. He has other things we had to learn to dodge.

It's amazing how quickly you stop caring about things being covered in poo poo/piss after you have a kid. I mean, having a dog is one thing, but kids take it to a whole new level.

We were just figuring we didn’t have to do that with our daughter, because with our son, to your point, he would pee everywhere as soon as fresh air came into contact with his privates. We’ve dealt with a lot of diaper blowouts and vomit, but never projectile poo poo—until today.

e: so far it seems par for the course for us to get her wiped off, then she shits some more, then we wipe and put on a new diaper, and then she starts to pee.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

life is killing me posted:

We were just figuring we didn’t have to do that with our daughter, because with our son, to your point, he would pee everywhere as soon as fresh air came into contact with his privates. We’ve dealt with a lot of diaper blowouts and vomit, but never projectile poo poo—until today.

e: so far it seems par for the course for us to get her wiped off, then she shits some more, then we wipe and put on a new diaper, and then she starts to pee.

My friend had the same behavior from his baby. He adapted by taking off the diaper and holding her over the wash basin, wherein she would deposit whatever remained. Ours never did that two-fer thing, but she did have a very clear "tell" before pooping, in that her face went beet red every time, so we were warned.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

wizzardstaff posted:

Our consistent record is establishing a good bedtime rhythm for about a week, followed by two months of backsliding while nothing works like it used to. (You want books? Songs? Special dances? No! Time to figure out a new routine!)

Kid has been going to bed shockingly easily for the last four nights and I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :ohdear:

Our night time routines start with a grandparent zoom call in his bedroom, and the the kid dances like a goof for the grandparents, plays, does a bit of tummy time, and eventually when we pick him up, put his feet on the ground and he walks (heavily supported) to his crib instead of the next toy he wants to play with. From there, he grabs the bars and then looks back at us to tell us he's ready for bed.

I will deeply regret the day he stops doing it, because it makes it so easy to know when it's time to put him to bed.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm hella jealous of y'all with kids willingly going to bed at any time.

The 18 month old still gets walked before getting his pre-nap/sleep bottle but some of that is due to me still relishing the chance to have him snuggle up on me while i'm doing it. He does get extra snuggly when he's tired so that's a tell at least.

Our 5yo daughter still has us go through a contest of wills every night because she doesn't want to be alone in her room and also doesn't want us doing things around the house without her. Like she gets insulted when we do chores and if i have to work late. And, of course, the moment we get her back on something approaching a schedule then it's either the 1st, 3rd, or 5th weekend and her birthdad is gleefully letting her do what she wants.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The afternoon nap today was brutal. My guy (5 mo) got real cranky and I knew he needed to sleep.

So I put him down in his crib in his sack with his pacifier - he promptly rolls on to his stomach and starts crying.

Roll him back, hold him. He squirms until he’s calmed down, as soon as I let go - stomach crying.

Roll back. Stomach crying.

Ok I pick him up. He immediately falls asleep in my arms. I’m flattered but know he should be able to nap on his own, so I put him down.

Stomach crying x 10. Just a battle of wills - me trying to keep him on his back to sleep, him determined to roll like a crocodile with a fawn in its mouth.

Finally he wins. I am defeated. I pick him up, sack and all, and strap him into the swing. He falls asleep immediately and naps for an hour and a half.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is there's reason you keep rolling him back?

Once they can roll and get to their stomach on their own, put them down on their back still but if they can roll there they can stay there...

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

sheri posted:

Is there's reason you keep rolling him back?

Once they can roll and get to their stomach on their own, put them down on their back still but if they can roll there they can stay there...

He starts shrieking on his stomach. I’ve seen him sleep on his stomach a couple times but usually he just yells.

I guess I should try and let him yell it out?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oof that's a tough one to solve. How do you keep a baby from rolling without being cruel or introducing choking hazards. So baby caulks, lil wood bricks to keep the baby from rolling at night have been shot down. Also can't stuff towels around to act as half pipe ramps.

Thinking about measuring out the crib and cutting up some of that luggage foam they use for crocodile camera cases. I don't know how deep is too traumatic, 12 inch depth, he shouldn't be able to be encased, I think that's too much.

Edit: yeah, lil dude has to deal with the pickle he keeps putting himself in.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah once they roll, they need to learn to sleep where they end up or roll back themselves. Assuming their arms are free in the sleeping bag, they’re safe to leave on their stomach.

If they’re upset at first, you can do gentle comforting while they lay on their stomach, bum pats and shushing were always my go-tos.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

femcastra posted:

Yeah once they roll, they need to learn to sleep where they end up or roll back themselves. Assuming their arms are free in the sleeping bag, they’re safe to leave on their stomach.

If they’re upset at first, you can do gentle comforting while they lay on their stomach, bum pats and shushing were always my go-tos.

Yeah this. It's pretty normal for kids to struggle sleeping a bit once they learn to roll over. They do learn to either roll back, or sleep face down.

Our kid was in this exact place a month ago, and is now sleeping pretty well, often on his tummy.

Lol now his thing is doing mini-pushups and complaining bitterly as he does. He's clearly into it, though, and is rapidly making progress towards crawling. So I usually let him do it, give him encouragement, then pick him up to take a break when he gets really frustrated.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

KirbyKhan posted:

Oof that's a tough one to solve. How do you keep a baby from rolling without being cruel or introducing choking hazards. So baby caulks, lil wood bricks to keep the baby from rolling at night have been shot down. Also can't stuff towels around to act as half pipe ramps.

Thinking about measuring out the crib and cutting up some of that luggage foam they use for crocodile camera cases. I don't know how deep is too traumatic, 12 inch depth, he shouldn't be able to be encased, I think that's too much.

Edit: yeah, lil dude has to deal with the pickle he keeps putting himself in.

Go to a sporting goods store and get some foam pool noodles. Cheap as hell, can be cut to length, and you can slice down the side to make something that fits over the railing of a crib or whatever.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Yeah anyone struggling with babies changing behaviour needs to look at the wonder weeks, it’s given us a good indicator of when baby behaviour is about to change.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Good god it's been a month straight now of baby taking 1 30-45 minute nap a day. I'm so tired.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

femcastra posted:

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep trying it.

So far no luck on comforting him, he is completely devastated by being asked to sleep on his stomach and refuses to roll onto his side or back (even though I know he can do both!) maybe just not enough strength right now.

The 5 month regression also took us from 0-1 feedings a night to 2-3 which is getting tiring.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

space uncle posted:

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep trying it.

So far no luck on comforting him, he is completely devastated by being asked to sleep on his stomach and refuses to roll onto his side or back (even though I know he can do both!) maybe just not enough strength right now.

The 5 month regression also took us from 0-1 feedings a night to 2-3 which is getting tiring.

Think of it this way: when they learn to roll, they can roll and move themselves into a position that is comfortable for them. It might not look comfortable to you, but if they sleep that’s what matters. Many children sleep with their butts in the air and their faces down on the mattress and I can’t see how that would at all be comfortable but apparently it’s comfortable enough for them.

At first when our son started rolling and positioning himself to sleep, we were worried he’d position himself in a way that would make it tough for him to breathe and he’d die of SIDS. But he just kind of magically started sleeping in a way that ensured he could breathe.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm not convinced that our kid knows how to roll front to back even at 11 months. Somehow he's made it all the way to pulling himself up to standing without ever, to my knowledge, intentionally going from his belly to his back.

He's done it a few times by accident but every time he's just completely in shock about what happened and flips right back over. Once while going to sleep he was so vigorous about rolling over from back to front that he overshot and did a 360 onto his back again, and he was so so so very pissed about that.

Whatever, seems to be working for him I guess.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My kids favorite sleeping position is his head crammed into the corner of his crib at an awkward angle, belly down with one hip up and the other down. He'll spend like 10min going from on his back to this position before he really conks out.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

spiky butthole posted:

Yeah anyone struggling with babies changing behaviour needs to look at the wonder weeks, it’s given us a good indicator of when baby behaviour is about to change.

i spent a whole year thinking this has just got to be pseudoscientific bullshit, and drat if it wasn't bang on every single time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My kiddo went from back sleeper to belly sleeper overnight. Now he sleeps in many and varied positions, it’s quite hilarious.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat, I’ve gotten so used to my kid never getting sick since he’s not out in public much anymore. Today he woke up with a runny nose and it’s just been getting worse as the day goes on. Looks like he picked up a cold from someone/somehow. He was at the trampoline place yesterday but I think less than 24 hours for a cold would be pretty crazy, right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nwin posted:

drat, I’ve gotten so used to my kid never getting sick since he’s not out in public much anymore. Today he woke up with a runny nose and it’s just been getting worse as the day goes on. Looks like he picked up a cold from someone/somehow. He was at the trampoline place yesterday but I think less than 24 hours for a cold would be pretty crazy, right?

Yeah probably but IANAD.

Speaking of sickness, man poo poo has really hit the fan here.

My 6 year old had an endoscopy last week (she had been complaining about vague stomach pain for months - neither the scope, x-rays, various stool samples or blood work have turned up anything). 22 month old had his tubes come out and IMMEDIATELY got a raging ear infection + viral infection. Started regular antibiotics but had to move to 3 consecutive Rocephin shots. He's getting tubes put back in next week. Then I had a sudden case of colitis and had to be admitted to the hospital for two days this week.

All of these bills are about to come in at the same time as I'm starting a brand new job and trying to pack up my family, sell my house and move 13 hours away. This is the make it or break it for my marriage haha.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BonoMan posted:

Yeah probably but IANAD.

Speaking of sickness, man poo poo has really hit the fan here.

My 6 year old had an endoscopy last week (she had been complaining about vague stomach pain for months - neither the scope, x-rays, various stool samples or blood work have turned up anything). 22 month old had his tubes come out and IMMEDIATELY got a raging ear infection + viral infection. Started regular antibiotics but had to move to 3 consecutive Rocephin shots. He's getting tubes put back in next week. Then I had a sudden case of colitis and had to be admitted to the hospital for two days this week.

All of these bills are about to come in at the same time as I'm starting a brand new job and trying to pack up my family, sell my house and move 13 hours away. This is the make it or break it for my marriage haha.

Holy gently caress and here I am worrying that my kid just got a cold while my wife is due any day.

Sorry to hear all of that. God drat.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just got first intentional flip from belly to back today. Dudes been trying for back to belly and gets all grunty and frustrated with it. I want him to continue, but ma keeps getting scared that he's hurting. I'm like he's just a grunty baby.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
My daughter woke up this morning with a fever. First time in a drat year. Luckily my wife could take her in to get tested but I was freaking out until the covid test came back negative.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m looking forward to when my baby is old enough that he doesn’t yell about the farting/pooping experience. Every. Morning. At 4:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Today, I've finally bit the bullet and stopped rocking my kid to sleep for naps at a few days shy of six months. Mostly to prepare him for the possibility of sending him to daycare if I hit my grant and go back to work in the lab.

He is now sleeping twice as long as when I rock him to sleep, going from 25-30 minutes to now an hour, not including the time he takes to settle (which is another 10-15 minutes of grunting, crying and rolling).

I feel like a colossal idiot.

Next big adventure is giving him solids when he starts sitting up on his own just a bit better.

KirbyKhan posted:

Just got first intentional flip from belly to back today. Dudes been trying for back to belly and gets all grunty and frustrated with it. I want him to continue, but ma keeps getting scared that he's hurting. I'm like he's just a grunty baby.

Teach me your ways.