Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Jeep posted:

How tf is that legal

I could explain how but it will take ten hours and I bill at $500 an hour.

You don't have five grand? Because they denied you royalties?

Ok I think you understand everything there is to understand about this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ClydeFrog posted:

That person's review could be the poster child for frustrated, jealous authors inflicting their terribad prose on actual published writers.

That reviewer is either Patrick Rothfuss himself or one of his numerous insane superfans who think his prose is God's gift to literature.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

That reviewer is either Patrick Rothfuss himself or one of his numerous insane superfans who think his prose is God's gift to literature.

I checked that reviewer's goodreads profile and they don't seem to have ever read a Rothfuss book, but they do have the incredibly obnoxious pattern of leaving reviews on books they haven't read waxing lyrically about how to covers make them feel just so they can claim the top spot and be the name people see when they scroll down to look at book reviews.

It's like a curse to have ones book come to the notice of such a person.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

impossible to distinguish rothfuss from rothfuss fan from generic insufferable twee doofus

e: I got The Unspoken Name when it was free and liked it well enough to be interested in the sequel

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Clark Nova posted:

impossible to distinguish rothfuss from rothfuss fan from generic insufferable twee doofus

e: I got The Unspoken Name when it was free and liked it well enough to be interested in the sequel

:same: to both.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Bone Ships (Tide Child #1) by RJ Barker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MPW3GMX/

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

pradmer posted:

These books (there are two now) are really fun. Definitely worth the three bucks.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

pradmer posted:

hoping this is another Tom Holt alias, this time wearing a dog mask

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just finished The Curse of Chalion and liked it a lot. I like the court drama and just a hint of the super natural. Are the rest of the books in the series worthwhile?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

xiw posted:

not even close

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just finished The Curse of Chalion and liked it a lot. I like the court drama and just a hint of the super natural. Are the rest of the books in the series worthwhile?

Yes, especially the Penric novellas.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It's the end of the month.

Does anyone want anything added to or removed from the OP of this thread?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
No, I just want a bunch of this summer's books now not later

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Y’all use your brains too much for Harrow. Sometimes you just need to sit back and experience a book (which is also my approach to LotR, funnily enough).

On an actual book review note, a finished An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson, and immediately followed it up with Sorcery of Thorns (they’re not a series, I just really liked Ravens). I think I might read too much YA and romance in the genre, but if you like depictions of the Fair Folk or weird monstrous libraries causing havoc then, respectively, those might be the books for you. They’re competently written, well-paced and a fun read.

Now I need to find a series that has finished so I’m not going crazy waiting for a bunch of the next books to come out. Edit: Forgot I have A Wizard of Earthsea and haven’t read it yet, guess I know my next series.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 30, 2021

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Bone Ships rocks.

Harrow does not.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

tokenbrownguy posted:

Bone Ships rocks.

Harrow does not.

You’re allowed to have incorrect opinions on Harrow, although I will admit that dark, depressing, and haunted is kinda my thing. I really liked what I read of House of Leaves, which is nothing less like Harrow but gives me the same dreaming feeling.

Also the audiobook narrator did a loving amazing job, so that probably helped.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 30, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

quantumfoam posted:

TSR pulled the same tactics as 2020 Disney back in the 1980s & 1990s with their book publishing line. Which explains why the Deathgate & the Darksword & the Star of the Guardians & the Rose of the Prophet series exist.

Wait what, can I hear more about this?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

a foolish pianist posted:

These books (there are two now) are really fun. Definitely worth the three bucks.

yep and whats more if you liked it then you now have 20 aubrey/maturin books to read and cherish

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

xiw posted:

Still blows my mind that Holt, whose books under his own name I mildly dislike at best, also writes so many books I really enjoy. I just don't get it. Not complaining and it's my problem not his, but still crazy to me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the book I’m most excited for until Wisdom of Crowds comes out in September.

https://mobile.twitter.com/torbooks/status/1388146132090429444

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm reading Blacktongue Thief at the moment and it rules.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I'm reading Blacktongue Thief at the moment and it rules.

Just pre-ordered based on this glowing recommendation.

Also saw Mike Shel's iconoclast series has a third book out, I really liked the first two, sin eater and aching god.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So the Cradle books are pretty dumb but fun. It's like eastern martial arts mixed with DragonBall Z.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So the Cradle books are pretty dumb but fun. It's like eastern martial arts mixed with DragonBall Z.

Cultivation is real and my friend.

I have no idea about if those books are about that but I think they're on my kindle so I'll have to read them now

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Cultivation is real and my friend.

I have no idea about if those books are about that but I think they're on my kindle so I'll have to read them now

I have no idea what you're talking about, but looking it up, if you mean Xianxia, then yes that's pretty much what they are.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

yeah they're trash but in a good way, i liked them a lot despite being the fantasy equivalent of junk food

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Fighting Trousers posted:

Just started reading this and thus far it is extremely my jam.

Will's 'magic charms' are gunpowder! :aaa:

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I finished Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany. It had some nifty ideas, and it's cool that he had an Asian woman captaining a ship all the way back in 1966, but in the end didn't live up to the same standard held by other Nebula winners. I do intend to go back to the author in the future, though.

(I did like how it did its language exploration more than I did Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

eke out posted:

yeah they're trash but in a good way, i liked them a lot despite being the fantasy equivalent of junk food

I feel like the genre (cultivation / progression fantasy) has been growing very quickly in the west the last few years. I'm hoping it gets big enough to produce or attract some better authors, even if it is junk food.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

I feel like the genre (cultivation / progression fantasy) has been growing very quickly in the west the last few years. I'm hoping it gets big enough to produce or attract some better authors, even if it is junk food.

It's like a less bad power fantasy type thing, I'm surprised it hasn't already, honestly.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I wonder if Cradle and other popular kindle fiction will end up having as much influence and prestige as the junk fiction of the 20s like Conan and Lovecraft. It certainly has a mass appeal, and if you had told someone at the time that Conan Studies or Tolkien Studies would be an actual academic pursuit they would have laughed their faces off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aardvark! posted:

I think the most literary/actually good cultivation novel I've read so far is Way of Choices / Ze Tian Ji, but naturally it's not super popular because it's got a slow pace and is about character and world building over anything else. It's about a young teenager who knows he will die of terminal illness at the age of 20, but there are some things he Has to do before then, so his determination is fascinating to watch as it impacts a complex political balance in the capital.

Unfortunately it's not on wuxiaworld so you have to delve into the world of finding the drat things as epubs to read it, and whoof.

Cultivation as a genre also suffers from how friggin' long each series is. The shortest one I know of is Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, which is now hyper-popular in the fangirl-area of the west due to its well-written gay love and live-action show on netflix (the Untamed). I'd love to see that one get published in the west, but there are barriers to entering the mainstream market. Meanwhile the rest of cultivation seems to all have 50000000000000000000000 chapters. Ask me about reading Renegade Immortal forever and ever and ever.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

quantumfoam posted:

Jack Chalker wrote lots of involuntary species body transformation/involuntary gender swap/skeevy sex fiction. Anyone coming across his work in 2021 be triply warned.

Chalker was one of my favorite authors in the 90s. I haven't read any of his stuff in close to 20 years and I'm afraid to since I don't want my memories tarnished. His Four Lords of the Diamond series was my favorite. He was active on the internet in the early days and was the first "famous" person I emailed. Being able to talk to your favorite author just blew my mind.

To echo quantumfoam, his stories may be hard to read if you're sensitive those sort of things.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I thought for a moment that people were writing started valley themed fantasy novels about cultivating farms

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought for a moment that people were writing started valley themed fantasy novels about cultivating farms

:same:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

no but... *sigh"

if anyone knows of such a thing, I uhh, I wouldn't mind reading it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aardvark! posted:

no but... *sigh"

World of Cultivation contains quite a lot of farming early on, it's neat to root for this guy as he's obsessed with getting his stuff to grow right!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

no but... *sigh"

‘Beware of chicken’ is a web serial that’s pretty close. Portal fantasy with… honestly just read a few chapters. It’s fairly charming, as far as these things go. ( the titular chicken is literal and not a reference to a cowardice theme, which is something that put me off for a while)
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39408/beware-of-chicken/chapter/614481/chapter-1-he-bravely-turned-his-tail-and-fled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
edit: /\/\/\ gently caress

What, like Beware of Chicken, the satirical isekai novel about a cultivator who decides to gently caress off and take up farming in BoringsVille?

quote:

Jin Rou wanted to be a cultivator who defied the heavens, and surpassed all limits.

Unfortunately for him, he died, and now I’m stuck here. Arrogant young masters? Heavenly tribulations? Cultivating for days on end, then getting into life or death battles?

Yeah, no thanks. I'm getting out of here.

In which a transmigrator decides that the only winning move is not to play.