Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

I’m sure I remember Christina doing some godawful “well I’m in charge because we’re the ruling class and have been in charge for centuries” type thing but I can’t find it in the script.

An unsympathetic character posted:

The aristocracy survives for a reason. We're ready for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

Rather missed opportunity for her sexuality given the name.

I think Ace is my favourite companion I've never seen an episode for, just hearing about her from Clever Dick's Doctor Who review series. Really figure I should get into the audio dramas, like, my whole TV style is "not physically looking at it most of the time" and the snippets I've heard of the dramas do a good job creating the setting audibly.

The Seventh Doctor stuff is by far the easiest stretch of classic Who to get into; it's fully just TV instead of partially being a televised stageplay (I'd argue that tradition persists at least until Davison), it's got ambitions of character arcs, and the majority of it is among the best the show of any era has to offer. You could run The Curse of Fenric on TV today and it would basically work. I'd really recommend sitting down and watching at least some of the era before diving into the audios.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Curse of Fenric - and all of that series - are super weird in that it's entirely about the themes in a way that 99% (or more, even) of television isn't.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Khanstant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470qN_j6C9s&t=112s

Tempted to watch some ancient Who, at the very least wanna find out why this lady has a swapping face.

Time And The Rani is a genuinely terrible story, with easily the worst regeneration, and I adore it. Kate O'Mara goes full panto-villain, pulls off an ASTOUNDINGLY GOOD impression of Bonnie Langford, and it also starts the last classic run of Original Doctor Who, I love Time And The Rani.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Curse of Fenric - and all of that series - are super weird in that it's entirely about the themes in a way that 99% (or more, even) of television isn't.

There is so much going on in Fenric that it takes several watches to soak it all in. There's stuff like the commander's office being done up in swastika regalia to help him get into the mindset of the Nazis--it's relevant to the story's point on communication and cyclicism and war, but with everything else going on you can almost throw it out entirely. And it did get nicked (poorly )for that one 12th Doctor two-parter where they're running around in a fake village. The scene where the Doctor has to break Ace's faith in him also got recycled in a far less effective manner in the not-Nimon episode, come to think of it.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Rochallor posted:

There is so much going on in Fenric that it takes several watches to soak it all in. There's stuff like the commander's office being done up in swastika regalia to help him get into the mindset of the Nazis--it's relevant to the story's point on communication and cyclicism and war, but with everything else going on you can almost throw it out entirely. And it did get nicked (poorly )for that one 12th Doctor two-parter where they're running around in a fake village. The scene where the Doctor has to break Ace's faith in him also got recycled in a far less effective manner in the not-Nimon episode, come to think of it.

There's a 7th Doctor/Benny/Ace Big Finish story, "The Shadow Of The Scourge" which does this too, but this time Ace calls the "Doctor betrayed us and we all lost faith in him" plan out as something that they do all the time because it works really well at beating evil aliens.

Ace, just the best!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pfft, if Ace was so great she'd be able to beat up a Dalek, and how likely is th-

I withdraw my objection...

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Pfft, if Ace was so great she'd be able to beat up a Dalek, and how likely is th-

I withdraw my objection...

20 seconds of perfection "Ooh yoo callin' small!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve1j8CECGtg

Ace is ace!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Cartmel era Who is just *perfection*.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate the resolution of the Lizardmen center of earth episode Cold Blood. Yeah, alright, give some time for humanity to adjust to the idea of sharing Earth somehow but a thousand years is silly! That's like half of civilization as is, in a thousand years, like, the areas they were gonna share might be chock full of humans or radically altered or humans are already living on other planets. Yeah I know the number isn't really important, but logistically feels like by that point humanity "being ready" to share will be because they've already advanced beyond them anyway and don't mind like, letting some primitive lizardfolk refugees have a place to chill on depleted earth?

The Krafayis supposedly travel around worlds but leave their weak behind. Okay, fine, but how are they getting around? Can bthese creatures naturally travel through space or do they have, like, technology made special for their chicken monster bodies?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 28, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That reminds me, man the Silurians are gonna be pissssssssssed when they next wake up and find out that humans have just happily started sharing the planet with Zygons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Mostly they'll be pissed because the earth has been abandoned due to solar flares

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mostly they'll be pissed because the earth has been abandoned due to solar flares

They'll get even more pissed when they see the lush overgrown earth, with no noise or pollution from those ape creatures they had so many problems with centuries ago...and then those pesky shits from Nerva just start teleporting down like they own the place :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Silurian Leader: Don't worry there's a Sontaran loving up all the apes, so they'll learn to stay awa.... oh for gently caress'S SAKE, Doctor! :argh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are there any major (i.e. not geolocked) distribution platforms that sell individual Doctor Who episodes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1387331307500417027

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tom Baker is behind this somehow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1387723751979163648

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2B from season 6B!

Weird as hell that the chronological order goes The War Games, The Two Doctors, Fugitive of the Judoon, Spearhead from Space but what are ya gonna do? v:shobon:v

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

2B from season 6B!

Weird as hell that the chronological order goes The War Games, The Two Doctors, Fugitive of the Judoon, Spearhead from Space but what are ya gonna do? v:shobon:v

That order works for me! Ten’s hand was a weird aberration and doesn’t count, 11 only thought it did.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish announced the second of their Doctor Who: The Audio Novels range. "Watchers" featuring the Fourth Doctor and Adric ... and The Daleks!

Written by Matthew Waterhouse.

Oh man, that could be ... interesting, to say the least.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-watchers-2444?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dwan02

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't expect he'll be back for BF

https://twitter.com/guardianculture/status/1387838236144259073?s=20

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That sucks. Hope his victims get justice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, should have left him in the alt universe.

Edit: jesus gently caress. I read the entire goddamned thing. gently caress Noel Clarke with a goddamned shovel.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 29, 2021

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wow, that sucks. If even half of that is true he's a real rear end in a top hat,

OTOH, Big Finish isn't averse to recasting these days....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving hell, reading that article it just keeps getting worse and worse, and more and more horrifying.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
He starts his defense by talking about diversity? So he's using every BAME person in the UK film industry he's worked with as a human shield against allegations? That's incredibly scummy. I'm hoping that Nicholas Briggs is severing ties with him, since they worked on a few films together.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think Barrowman is going to go down as well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I think Barrowman is going to go down as well.
Good. My brother used to work at an M&S where John Barrowman was a regular years ago, and he was every single staff member had a story about him being a complete prick. Looking on Twitter today, quite a lot of other people have had similar experiences.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We met Noel at Chicago Tardis some years ago. I was just showing my wife the news and she was like "I'm not surprised, he was a huge creep" and she reminded me that he pulled her in for a half hug and we wern't even doing a photo op.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

OldMemes posted:

He starts his defense by talking about diversity? So he's using every BAME person in the UK film industry he's worked with as a human shield against allegations? That's incredibly scummy. I'm hoping that Nicholas Briggs is severing ties with him, since they worked on a few films together.

It's the same thing Kevin Spacey did when he was revealed to be a sexual predator; when the evidence was overwhelmingly against him, he came out of the closet and used his homosexuality as an excuse/defense in the hopes that the LGBTQ+ community would rally around him as yet another persecuted gay man. Clarke is obviously hoping for the same thing: that people of color will see this as a successful black actor being targeted because he's black, and speak out in support of him. It's an extremely cynical ploy.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If John Barrowman filmed anything for series 13, might be a good idea for them to swap it out now. Barrowman's behaviour sounds more like unprofessional pranks that really crossed a lot of lines, and shouldn't have been happening on a set and should have been nipped in the bud by the higher ups, rather than abuse for gratification.

Time for a new time traveling reoccurring fan favourite character. Bernice Summerfield on TV, maybe?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2021

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
What a crazy coincidence that all this is happening around the return of the 9th doctor.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Confusedslight posted:

What a crazy coincidence that all this is happening around the return of the 9th doctor.

I'm not sure how to read this. Are you insinuating that Barrowman and/or Clarke were problems on the set of Series 1 and part of the reason that Eccleston stepped away and/or that Eccleston is the one driving these stories?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm not sure how to read this. Are you insinuating that Barrowman and/or Clarke were problems on the set of Series 1 and part of the reason that Eccleston stepped away and/or that Eccleston is the one driving these stories?

Eccleston's departure would suddenly make a lot more sense if it turned out he complained about Barrowman and/or Clarke, and got told to mind his own business or it was no big deal or whatever. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would put up with their bullshit, either towards himself or someone else.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
gently caress it. Maybe we should just give the Earth over to the Silurians/Zygons/Sontarans/Blue Kangs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I thought it was generally known that Barrowman and Eccleston didn’t get on?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

The_Doctor posted:

I thought it was generally known that Barrowman and Eccleston didn’t get on?

Until this year, all I'd ever heard was that Eccleston left because of issues with the show's managment, and that he was pissed off at the BBC. I'd never bothered to delve any further or heard anything about Eccleston not liking Barrowman until people started discussing it here in recent months, so it's all still fairly new info to me.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Meanwhile, "Johnny B getting his cock out" was at least known well enough to be joked about in the video they made for RTD's departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaMRyn47Xg

edit: at the 2 minute mark, I'm phone posting and can't figure out the drat timestamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They should just recast Captain Jack and not even acknowledge with so much as a remark on the new face. Just like "Oh hey Captain Jack" and the new actor enters and just starts chewing the scenery.

who are your nominations for the Second Captian Jack?