Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

tin can made man posted:

I never thought I'd see an action setpiece which focused on Goro tearing apart a barn on a foggy American farmstead, but 2021 is a year of strange surprises

Imagine being a Shokan and hearing your holy prince Goro - legendary warrior and nine time champion of Mortal Kombat - got killed by some no name dude in a barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well you see, because Goro was so expensive, they had to make him integral to the story, and of course "big guy in a barn" is really a role only Goro could pull off:

MK 2021 Producer Todd Garner posted:

He’s extremely integral to the plot. He is a beloved character. He’s awesome. He’s obviously somebody that I would love to have in every movie. He’s also really expensive. Not going to lie. He’s really expensive. [...] So what we did is we knew that. You know that he’s expensive, you know that he’s beloved, you know he has to be in the movie, and you can’t just have him come in and just… It’s not like Indiana Jones where he comes in with two knives and you shoot him. You can’t do that. That’s no good. We had to figure out a real reason for him to be in the movie.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Goro did not deserve the disrespect this movie gave him.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

At least in '95 he was killed by a movie star. You'd have to explain to the Shokan what a "movie" is, but once you did that I'm sure they'd be very impressed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Xenomrph posted:

Jade’s default costumes in MK11 are pretty great.
It's perversely impressive that, in a game full of scantily clad lady ninjas, they managed to make one whose gimmick is specifically "exotic Oriental stripper."

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Robot Style posted:

Well you see, because Goro was so expensive, they had to make him integral to the story, and of course "big guy in a barn" is really a role only Goro could pull off:

I'm liking Goro as a cinematic jobber. Dude loses to a quip in mk95.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Halloween Jack posted:

It's perversely impressive that, in a game full of scantily clad lady ninjas, they managed to make one whose gimmick is specifically "exotic Oriental stripper."

Which character? Jade looks largely normal in MK11.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/749990144176450484/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Derp, I was looking at MK9 again.

Rainbow Knight posted:

next movie is going to have sheeva doing nothing but stomping on people
MK11 Sheeva is definitely going for the Bowsette fans

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 30, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

boop the snoot posted:

Goro did not deserve the disrespect this movie gave him.

Goro also goes back to his home planet and dies between MK10 and MK11. He starts the game as a mummified corpse in the Krypt.

I don't understand how people got bore-o'd for Goro but I don't like it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I didnt grow up with Mortal Kombat, to me Goro is just the midboss/fake final guy working for Shao Khan. He's big and gets super armor, and in MK95 his nards get nuked.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

gregday posted:

Not disagreeing with you on any points, but That is …not what “plot armor” means.

I know. I was referencing a joke someone made in this thread. Can't find the quote now : ( .

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
That's exactly who he is. You don't need to know anything else about Goro. He's the reigning champion of Mortal Kombat and killed generations of Shaolin monks until a B-movie actor punched his balls.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

boop the snoot posted:

Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub Zero or whatever that lovely game was is not part of the Mortal Kombat universe. I do not accept it.

Inspired by this thread and the memory of that game I booted up the PS Classic last night and tried it out for the first time since 1997.

Jesus gently caress is this game hard. It's full of the cheapest bullshit that requires wrote memorisation of every aspect of each level, which can only be obtained by dying a lot. Even with same scumming, the difficulty is absurd. No wonder I never bought the thing after renting it one weekend.

Pity, because otherwise the bits that you fight give good glimpses at what it could have been, and I dig how it plays just like mk3.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
This was definitely a bad movie, but I felt like a 10 year old kid again watching it, so I liked it enough that I'd be interested in a sequel.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Neurolimal posted:

I'm more interested in a move towards giving men the same sort of sexual expression as women receive in games (specifically, stop wearing pants at grandpa height to avoid The Devil's Belt), but its still pretty cool to see more variety in the MK women's roster than "floss bikinis" and "the MK ninjas, but sexy".

There’s a certain segment of gay/queer men and mascs who really like Kano’s design MK11. Be mindful if you turn safe search off is what I’m saying.

They need to go back to one of Raiden’s old outfits where his hair was down and he had a whole tiddy out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Neurolimal posted:

I'm more interested in a move towards giving men the same sort of sexual expression as women receive in games (specifically, stop wearing pants at grandpa height to avoid The Devil's Belt), but its still pretty cool to see more variety in the MK women's roster than "floss bikinis" and "the MK ninjas, but sexy".
Normally, I would be 100% in favour of that. Make everyone in Tekken get their dick out so Jun and Hwoarang can gently caress already. But Mortal Kombat is a game where the highlight is like disemboweling your enemy and putting their head on a stick, so it would get into weird gore fetish territory.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

MK 9 should have been MK 80085

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I'd assumed (like a fool) that Joe Taslim would have something to do with the fight choreography in this, but I was stone cold wrong; it's some dude named Chan Griffin, whose only other real notable credits are a few DC superhero movies and the latest Alien.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 1, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/hraesvelgrtmhwk/status/1388163841557766151?s=19

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For anyone who doesnt follow esports shenanigans, this is due to WePlay shacking up with an online betting website. One shady enough to be under investigation in Russia for embezzlement & fraud, at that.

Reply is a fancam for everyone's favorite lesbian Kitana vat-clone

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They gave the mma dude a magical rash guard lmao

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hello, please accept this offering to the sequel gods so we can have more movies.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Lui Kang and kung lao are so cute :3:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/he0eBTZaMEk

The only reason I know this hasn't been posted yet is because it doesn't auto play when you open the thread

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/he0eBTZaMEk

The only reason I know this hasn't been posted yet is because it doesn't auto play when you open the thread

Triple posted, but it's necessary i guess

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 1, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If there's one thing I think this movie did right, it was Kung Lao. Right from the weird-rear end teleport intro. If there's a sequel, I hope we get Revenant Kung Lao; I was never a fan of the revenant concept, I just want to see him back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The best rendition of the Mortal Kombat theme is from this headcase

https://youtu.be/6fmem0CNz14

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

That's exactly who he is. You don't need to know anything else about Goro. He's the reigning champion of Mortal Kombat and killed generations of Shaolin monks until a B-movie actor punched his balls.

Apparently he's a Prince of some kind, too, though the particulars of Shokan monarchy has never been made clear to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Inzombiac posted:

The best rendition of the Mortal Kombat theme is from this headcase

https://youtu.be/6fmem0CNz14

I have a lot of questions, but first...why does he have two copies of Hunchback of Notre Dame?

Like, good movie, but why two?

Also...everything else about this guy's vibe.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

thrawn527 posted:

Apparently he's a Prince of some kind, too, though the particulars of Shokan monarchy has never been made clear to me.

Rain, who dresses in purple, also happens to be a prince.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I want a full on Yakuza-like. Give me kombatants playing MK1 as a mini game and sassing each other during play, heartfelt side quests to rescue some Tarkatan kid’s monster puppy, and karaoke to the original soundtrack.

I want this so hard. Remember the Konquest mode in Deception? Like just do that again but on the Dragon Engine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If there is a sequel then Johnny Cage needs to split punch more people in the balls

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They also need to have his theme be the song from the Immortals. I'll be mad if we don't see Cage then hear "PREPARE YOURSELF"

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
55 min in and this sucks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Codependent Poster posted:

They also need to have his theme be the song from the Immortals. I'll be mad if we don't see Cage then hear "PREPARE YOURSELF"

Have it kind of lower volume during the build up and then blast the "JOHNNY CAGE IS NOT AFRAID TO DIE!" right as a fight starts.

Honestly even this movie would have been improved 10x if the Chinese Ninja Warrior and Lost Soul Bent on Revenge tracks played during the two Scorpion/Sub-Zero fights.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Watching the 95 movie now and I can't believe I thought this guy playing Kano was actually Australian when I was a kid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

JT Smiley posted:

Watching the 95 movie now and I can't believe I thought this guy playing Kano was actually Australian when I was a kid.

You and a good portion of Hollywood

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i think im taking cray pills but kano is easily the worst part of this

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Wah wah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Movie bad, but also I was entertained.