Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Well its 2AM (in Norway) and Defender is going crazy again. This seems to be A Thing that will happen now. :( Guess I will have to move all my NAS-related business to earlier in the day..

I've tried custom scans and settings exceptions for the whole network drive. The latter only seems to matter for custom scans and not the rogue activities that Defender is doing now. I used to be a fan of Defender since it was pretty subtle but this is pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to activate / deactivate Night Light from Powershell? All the guides I've found are apparently outdated as of like a year ago.

I want a script that just activates night light at some set intensity, and another that deactivates it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to activate / deactivate Night Light from Powershell? All the guides I've found are apparently outdated as of like a year ago.

I want a script that just activates night light at some set intensity, and another that deactivates it.

Are you looking for more options than what are built into the normal settings? The basic functionality you describe is already there in the GUI for Night Light, I believe.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you looking for more options than what are built into the normal settings? The basic functionality you describe is already there in the GUI for Night Light, I believe.

No, I want a Powershell script that I can run to manually turn night light on/off, without the need to go into settings.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

No, I want a Powershell script that I can run to manually turn night light on/off, without the need to go into settings.

You could simply add Night light to the notifications if you want a quick way of enabling/disabling the piss filter

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, it's Win+A then click Night Light.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Okay another weird one from me.

Since two days ago, this process "UserOOBEBroker.exe" now started appearing in Task Manager and seem be a running thing now...?

I'm finding this random appearance of this process that was never was running before, but now is kinda strange, No new updates, no settings changed, maaaybe this can be linked to a new and recent Windows Defender engine update that happened, but that's all I can think of, restarting the PC and it will show up in about 10 minutes, killing the process, and it will show up again a bit later, where's Mulder?

Anyone else now seeing this process in their Task Manager? Anyone not have this in their Task Manager? I'm on latest Windows 10 Pro 20H2, 19042.928, if that bit matters.

( What it is, I know it's a "safe" file by MS blah blah, but this is for newly created accounts... so why is this running now all of a sudden? )

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

You see that "fewer details" button on the bottom left of the task manager? Click it. Until something is actively wrong or your system feels slow, stop obsessing over the list of processes from the OS.

It's running on my system as well. I bet MS probably changed it to run all the time to manage how often to show ads for MS accounts, or something like that. Who knows, but also who gives a poo poo about a process that takes up 700k memory and 0 seconds of CPU time?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Klyith posted:

I bet MS probably changed it to run all the time to manage how often to show ads for MS accounts

This is exactly the sort of behavior that warrants getting rid of it, though

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

This is exactly the sort of behavior that warrants getting rid of it, though

Disabling Windows services is a great way to get into trouble later.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

You see that "fewer details" button on the bottom left of the task manager? Click it. Until something is actively wrong or your system feels slow, stop obsessing over the list of processes from the OS.

It's running on my system as well. I bet MS probably changed it to run all the time to manage how often to show ads for MS accounts, or something like that. Who knows, but also who gives a poo poo about a process that takes up 700k memory and 0 seconds of CPU time?

How about you don't be such a rude piece of poo poo? This also goes for everyone else in this thread who always seems to like jumping down someone's throat who doesn't use their computer exactly the way they do.

Oh know, someone's doing some custom poo poo and it's "unsafe" because it's not the default. Oh know, someone not using their Defender the EXACT WAY I DO! Lets DOXX this piece of poo poo everyone! I'll get his Facebook friends and family, can someone do their schools?

I'm asking a simple question, or maybe for help, or just others experiences with XYZ, let me worry or deal or stress or obsess or have fun with my computer the way I want to. Cool? If I have a question that bothers you or anyone else so much, just don't reply, keep scrolling that page down, put me on ignore/block too while you're at it, alright.

Sorry for being harsh, I like you Klyith, and have no problems will anyone else on SA either (generally), but there is some hosed up toxic behavior in this thread where everyone needs to dog-pile on someone because "it's not my way", some of you here need to seriously just chill the gently caress out and maybe take Klyith's above suggestion about "who gives a poo poo" if someone turn their computer into a firewall-less botnet. /rant

(No need to reply to this post unless it's about my OG question, I won't be replying back anytime soon anyway. Ha-ha this is a cop-out.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What you're experiencing is completely normal, there's nothing you should be doing about that process. If you want to gently caress up your installation, do it, but don't expect people to cheer you on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:yikes:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i'll cheer you on. rah rah you can do it.

disable it and report back, I hate useless Windows crap too.

By and large, though, I only disable stuff if it's actually in the way. Back in the XP days, it was a hobbyist thing to scrutinize your processes b/c RAM were precious and Windows had bad memory management. But even on an 8 year old system with 8GB of RAM, I mostly leave stuff alone and I get along fine. ATM only stuff I have disabled are some 3rd party updater things that really don't need to be running at all times and scheduled Windows Update playtimes (per my previous posts).

So yeah go to town but this is pretty much the "ain't broke don't fix it, but maybe pause updates before patch Tuesday" thread.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Where did I even ask about how to disable it? Or ever asked for "cheering on"? I asked a simple question about, "are others seeing this too", it's a 100% new, as in started running, as of two days ago, I'm just wondering WHY, not how to "break" my PC.

I can already see the dog-piling in this thread happening, and will probably continue on for 5 pages.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

How about you don't be such a rude piece of poo poo? This also goes for everyone else in this thread who always seems to like jumping down someone's throat who doesn't use their computer exactly the way they do.

Oh know, someone's doing some custom poo poo and it's "unsafe" because it's not the default. Oh know, someone not using their Defender the EXACT WAY I DO! Lets DOXX this piece of poo poo everyone! I'll get his Facebook friends and family, can someone do their schools?

I'm asking a simple question, or maybe for help, or just others experiences with XYZ, let me worry or deal or stress or obsess or have fun with my computer the way I want to. Cool? If I have a question that bothers you or anyone else so much, just don't reply, keep scrolling that page down, put me on ignore/block too while you're at it, alright.

Sorry for being harsh, I like you Klyith, and have no problems will anyone else on SA either (generally), but there is some hosed up toxic behavior in this thread where everyone needs to dog-pile on someone because "it's not my way", some of you here need to seriously just chill the gently caress out and maybe take Klyith's above suggestion about "who gives a poo poo" if someone turn their computer into a firewall-less botnet. /rant

(No need to reply to this post unless it's about my OG question, I won't be replying back anytime soon anyway. Ha-ha this is a cop-out.)

Take this from me as a poster, not a mod -

I don't think they were being particularly rude. Maybe you're having a bad day, maybe intention is hard to read in text. Were they super polite and walking on eggshells? No. But their response to you didn't deserve whatever this is. Their advice was solid and you should follow it. And telling them to ignore your post or use the ignore list while posting what you did is kind of silly. You could have done the same. And your "no need to reply" nonsense is also silly. And expecting people to not give advice when someone is about to do something stupid like "turn their computer into a firewall-less botnet" is also silly. Come on.

So maybe let's all take a step back here and start over.

It looks like it's basically a service that runs a tutorial for Windows and it doesn't necessarily only happen when you create a new account or just start using your PC. That update from a few months ago? Maybe it's queued up to tell you something. Looks like you can disable the service if you want. https://www.windowsboy.com/2020/12/01/what-is-useroobebroker-exe-disable-user-oobe-broker/

What's going on in this thread is that modern Windows, which is closed source, does a lot of poo poo in the background. poo poo that changes constantly. You can be really passionate about this stuff and do it for a living and have no loving clue. The world, and your OS, now changes too fast for the vast majority of tech people to keep up. It generally doesn't need babysitting. There's going to be lots of processes, lots of things that only Microsoft knows the answer to. That's relatively new and not all the nerds in nerdom agree on that approach.

If you do want to know about everything that happens in your OS, down to the minutia, seriously think about checking out Linux. You'll have access to the source code and a large community of people who really know their poo poo. It's a completely different approach to what the Windows side deals with. But you'll still find "rude" people who are blunt when you ask them questions on that side of the house, as well.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 30, 2021

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MS is gearing up for a new feature update and priming the update process. They recently pushed an out of band update for it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4023057-update-for-windows-10-update-service-components-fccad0ca-dc10-2e46-9ed1-7e392450fb3a

I'd wager trying to make the experience of basically reinstalling Windows and importing all the user's settings from the old installation as smooth as possible has something to do with the User Out Of Box Experience Broker Dot Exe running in the background.
21H1 is already available for insiders to alpha test and will be available for Joe Schmoe Everyman to beta test some time in May.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

This is fair, but my post wasn't necessarily about my post just now either, but from past reply's towards me and others I've seen here in this thread, I've never once seen anyone ask for this "cheer me on" non-sense either...

The cop-out line was more about me having work in a few hours and it's a doozy 12 hour, there's also some nice weather finally so I've got tons of yard work to finally get at, will also need to be helping my mom do her yard and my grandma with hers. Then tomorrow's shopping day, I do mine, moms, and grandmas shopping together, so they don't have to venture out so much. I'm going to be busy basically.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Im_Special posted:

I've never once seen anyone ask for this "cheer me on" non-sense either...

Well I mean you loving went off the rails when you got a neutral reply, so that really only leaves one sort of reply to expect you would have been happy with.

Maybe there should be a "Help me break my Windows install" thread so people who want to break their Windows install disable unnecessary services can do so with likeminded people without having to deal with the oppressive presence of reasonable advice from people suggesting "hey maybe don't break your Windows install" because they don't want to have to deal with the posts that will arrive a few weeks later to the effect of "why doesn't my Windows work, DAE hate Microsoft?"

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
^^^ Yeah, best not to mess with Windows features and stuff unless you really know what you're doing. A decade ago, I bricked at least two windows installs because I thought I knew what I was doing but it turns out what I disabled was actually important.

What's the best way to purge an entry from the Windows 10 Apps and features list if it says something's installed but the uninstaller fails due to it .. not being installed?

e. got at least 5 entries like this

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 30, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't think they were being particularly rude.

TBF to Im_special, my post was more than a bit sarcastic which is rude. But this is also SA and I wasn't going for insult level. More in a "hey re-examine your basic outlook or whatever started you down this road" type kick in the pants.

Internet Explorer posted:

poo poo that changes constantly.

Yeah this is another thing: 10 isn't like 7 or XP where there were 2 service packs over 5 years and instructions from when the OS came out were still good at EOL. Webpages that are "what is this OS .exe?" from a few years ago may have incorrect answers or advice. There are instructions I've given ITT for people that are now flat-out wrong because MS has changed stuff.

Im_Special posted:

The cop-out line was more about me having work in a few hours and it's a doozy 12 hour, there's also some nice weather finally so I've got tons of yard work to finally get at, will also need to be helping my mom do her yard and my grandma with hers. Then tomorrow's shopping day, I do mine, moms, and grandmas shopping together, so they don't have to venture out so much. I'm going to be busy basically.

Sorry bout that dude. You seem smart enough to be worth helping out and pitching the occasional sarcastic jab at, uh, so maybe that's a compliment? And when windows does poo poo that annoys me I try to hammer the annoyance out, so I recognize a fellow traveler.

But you've also hit the "smart enough to get yourself into trouble" trap a couple times ITT. Hey, I been there too! One thing I've learned about 10 is that it's much less tolerant of the direct, axe-to-the-head type meddling that 7 would tolerate. Now I look more to the official / MS-approved methods if at all possible, and only reach for the axe if there's no other way and I consider it worth the risk. So if I can give you some advice, add a cycle of doubt & caution to your process. One thing to doubt is whether something is even worth your time to investigate.

No hard feelings on my end, hope your weekend goes ok.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ambaire posted:

^^^ Yeah, best not to mess with Windows features and stuff unless you really know what you're doing. A decade ago, I bricked at least two windows installs because I thought I knew what I was doing but it turns out what I disabled was actually important.

What's the best way to purge an entry from the Windows 10 Apps and features list if it says something's installed but the uninstaller fails due to it .. not being installed?

Something like Revo can clear those dud entries up, or you can fossick through the registry for it yourself

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ambaire posted:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-force-uninstall-a-program

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Any better luck with appwiz.cpl?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

astral posted:

Any better luck with appwiz.cpl?

Nope.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Something like Revo can clear those dud entries up, or you can fossick through the registry for it yourself

Thanks, Revo uninstaller cleared them out great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any reason why my 2 year old laptop is suddenly asking me to activate my Windows license? I don't think there was an update recently. I didn't even reset it. It showed up after waking.

And yeah this is a Dell, the windows copy is legit.

It does say that it found a valid license and wants me to do the "upgrade" but I just don't get why?

e:actually it did update itself over night. thought i disabled auto updates.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 1, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

in elite and dangerous windows hacking news, I noticed that my PC woke itself up to update Edge, a browser I don't use.

There were a couple tasks in Task Scheduler that appeared to be the culprit, which I disabled.

I then launched Edge and checked to see if it check for updates all by itself. It can. It also enthusiastically told me it was new and improved, which I don't care about.

So I figure it's ok to disable updates for a browser I don't use (in fact I block it b/c it tends to load itself when I accidentally hit F1 sometimes, and if I'm going to disable unwanted updates to it I may as well keep it from being used at all) if its fully capable of checking for updates on its own when it is used.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 1, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

in elite and dangerous windows hacking news, I noticed that my PC woke itself up to update Edge, a browser I don't use.

There were a couple tasks in Task Scheduler that appeared to be the culprit, which I disabled.

I then launched Edge and checked to see if it check for updates all by itself. It can. It also enthusiastically told me it was new and improved, which I don't care about.

So I figure it's ok to disable updates for a browser I don't use (in fact I block it b/c it tends to load itself when I accidentally hit F1 sometimes, and if I'm going to disable unwanted updates to it I may as well keep it from being used at all) if its fully capable of checking for updates on its own when it is used.

Is it not possible to uninstall Edge?

Personally I use Edge occasionally, but I also feel like I need a bare minimum of 3 web browsers installed at all times regardless of OS.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Personally I use Edge occasionally, but I also feel like I need a bare minimum of 3 web browsers installed at all times regardless of OS.

I think I keep it around exactly for (hurrrrr) edge cases, like logging into a bank or getting Netflix to play in HD.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I think I keep it around exactly for (hurrrrr) edge cases, like logging into a bank or getting Netflix to play in HD.

It's probably not a big deal to block Edge from auto-updating but I could also see that be annoying if then when you want to use Edge it requires updates before doing what you want.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, because if anything happens to your other browser then you'll need one guaranteed installed and working to troubleshoot, which people don't seem to consider when they furiously uninstall it and get mad when it keeps reappearing. Plus, I think they use it for start menu search results and such, and they're obviously going to require their own supported browser for that (I could be wrong about that).

That's probably why it updates via Windows if you haven't used it in a long time, but it's probably fine to block it, manual updates take like a minute and basic web functionality isn't going to radically change overnight.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 2, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
For what it’s worth edge is chromium based now and it’s better than chrome - if you currently use chrome consider switching, I did ages ago and I’ve been really happy with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Edge is pretty great now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grandma? How did you find the forums?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Back in the IE days a lot of programs would use it to render pages instead of bundling their own (e.g. Steam before they decided to bundle Webkit for Mac interoperability, various game launchers). I don't know if that kind of thing is still common in 2021 but that alone is a good enough enough reason to keep Edge around and updated IMO, you never know when you'll run into a program that expects it there and you never know what website it visits could be compromised.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm still running LTSB on my main computer and it doesn't have Edge at all. It does have IE, though!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Slitherine packages a launcher with some of their products that appears to render ads for other products using IE.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fame Douglas posted:

You could simply add Night light to the notifications if you want a quick way of enabling/disabling the piss filter

I need a script in Powershell so I can trigger it with a stream deck, not a different way of clicking

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a script in Powershell so I can trigger it with a stream deck, not a different way of clicking

It's a registry toggle, HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount\ and then the top two are bluelightreduction - one is state and one is settings but the values are uh, weird and you'd have to figure them out with procmon/regmon or something.

e: alternatively f.lux can probably do it via shortcut key or something and that would work better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kirbysuperstar posted:

e: alternatively f.lux can probably do it via shortcut key or something and that would work better

I have four browsers on my phone, one (Safari) is embedded and I never use, Chrome to check gmail and docs and free storage, and Opera/Edge because I can lay on my bed and read stuff, but if it’s a long page both browsers will send a page to the desktop so I can view videos, pdf, and (for instance) wikis or educational sites with lots of small print or tons of links I open as background on the PC. Edge and Opera do this easily and quickly.